It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops & Judges Caught Using Secret Codes On Tickets

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by joeofthemountain
Are you saying that you are infallible in your judgment of traffic and driving?

That is extraordinary. Why are you wasting this incredible gift as a traffic cop?

You could at least be a judge on "American Idol".

Really...wow...sorry if you don't know what it looks like when someone runs a stop sign. Sorry you have no clue what it looks like watching someone pass on a double yellow with on coming traffic, etc....I mean if I can see those things and KNOW they are wrong and you wanna call me perfect....well I appreciate the gesture.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedBird

Remember: This "code" works both ways. If you've got a big happy face with stars and roses on the back of your ticket because you treated the cop very well and very polite, the Judge is probably going to be a little bit more understanding of your concerns.

This doesn't seem like a breach of justice to me... just common sense.

However it can rightly be argued that the defendant is not obligated to please and become submissively acquiescent to the the law enforcement officer. There CAN be, and it should not be taken for granted that there couldn't be a legitimate complaint about the law enforcement officers demeanor, conduct, or bearing; but the defendant has no secret slip of paper to pass to the judge whereas the officer does.

Also, the citations in question are for traffic violations, not a 'sheeple' test (pardon the pejorative). How the defendant manages to express themselves should not be an element of the case UNLESS THE ACT BREAKS THE LAW - in which case the officer can and should arrest the accused.

Being angry, disagreeing, and or stating your position regarding the citation would become defacto 'illegal' since the police have brought this element into the courtroom without a legal framework in place to ensure it Constitutionality.

I don't envy law enforcement as a vocation because even the guilty can behave as an outraged and wronged innocent person. But it is for this purpose that officers are trained and expected to conduct the act of 'policing' without vindictiveness, or ego-centric bias.

There are many great peacekeepers out there, there are even some great law enforcement folks out there, but this 'notation' act is being implemented by the Law enforcement branches without due process. It cannot stand as is.

Sadly, in the real world, those intent on exercising their duty in this manner will simply institute another, more subtle, way of accomplishing the same goal. And that, in and of itself, is telling.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
Wow real shocker, cop abuses power and position in society, News at 11. There are some good cops, but they only seem to show up in the occasional movie. Almost every cop I've encountered is an ass topped off with a overbearing case of megalomania.
brill

Yeah that's right you've met some bad cops so they must all be bad. Well let me relate a story as well. When I was a paramedic, on Friday nights we would have bar fights with injuries. They would call us out. This one pleasantly warm evening a fight broke out resulting in missing teeth and bruising on this guy's face. We arrive to find two cops trying to calmy hold back four big mean sons of a gun who were ready to battle. They eventually calmed it down by use of talking.

Now brill this next part is NOT directed at you

These codes bother me a bit but I am so sick and friggin tired of people labelling all cops because of some of their bad actions. I am realistic and I know there are some nasty cops out there. My wager is that there are alot more good ones but let's be honest, what get's better press; the cops who beat Rodney King (totally wrong IMO) or the two cops who help clean up the streets and make it safe for children? What's more interesting to the average braindead viewer?

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar02

Since when has it been a crime to be an asshole? As it is not a crime it should have absolutely no bearing on whatever offense you have actually committed. If a cop thinks someone is being an ass, a arbitrary and completely subjective opinion, they should suck it up and do their job by dealing with the actual offense. They should not take it upon themselves to make life more difficult for people simply because they do not like their attitude. Or are you suggesting that having a bad attitude should be punishable by law?

Any cop who thinks a badge and gun automagically grants them respect is a fool, more so if they use them to demand respect which all to often seems to be the case. They're an employee of the public and they'd do well to remember that fact.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by fumanchu]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wow, it is sad to see that so many people think rcwj1975 has an alternate agenda just because he comes to ATS.

Someone else said it, thanks for sharing YOUR side with us.
Yet he still remains called out, called pig, etc etc.. disgusting. Welcome to the human race, right?

Imagine, how the higher standard people hold law enforcement officials to absolutely crumbles, when we try to hold them to a simple "civil" standard.

I say we, as I used to be a peace officer, but have moved on to other areas in law enforcement and surveillance. haha. Let the crazies hate me for that one. haha.

But to avoid getting a ticket, slow down. Simple. If you weren't violating some law, you would most likely NOT have an encounter with law enforcement that requires YOU to pay for the violation.

Yes, you can point out all the police harassment and yada yada yada, those do exist. I was a victim of police harassment when I was 16.

Looking back, it really wasn't as bad as I thought. I WAS with a group of people that WERE suspicious, WERE partaking in some illegal activities, and in DID go on in the evening to do something bad. We weren't disrespectful at all to the officers.

In my situation, the officer still acted out of line, even went so far as to tell me his anger was personal towards me and he would put his badge and gun down just so I would 'fight' him. All I was doing was standing there. I wasn't even talking. haha. But I understand NOW why we were approached. I even understand his frustration with our answers. . . But..

Here in Canada, the RCMP get transferred to different locations every few years based on different variables. My mom worked in a law firm and my dad was retired RCMP. That officer went somewhere VERY cold, dark and snowy for his next transfers.

We never had to use "coding", as if it came down to it, notebooks, dash cams, etc provide what is needed to complete the conviction.

rcwj1975 described the majority of the people who yell loudest about this kind of scenario, earlier in the thread. I throw agreement his way.

SLOW DOWN.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

I know you weren't addressing me, but I would like to say that I feel its the judges who are at fault here. It was, and is, within their purview to put an end to the practice.... and their business is justice... which is the aspect of this the practice threatens.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

its saying that the video will not play

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by richierich
If the driver were agressive and hostile, but not to the level of an actual offense you could charge for, then they have done NOPTHING ILLEGAL and nothing wrong...YOU are the problem, copper!!

But many times they ARE to the level of obstruction, but WE decide to not make our jobs any harder by taking them to jail. So a simply AH will do, unless you would rather we lock them up as well...then you can bitch about that too. I am not the problem, people driving and acting like idiots is the problem.

You want an UNFAIR advantage !!

Ummm how is this unfair when it was the DRIVERS behavior and there was still a VIOLATION of the law?

Yopu are acting to give testimony that is IMPERMISSIBLE in court, and so you are CHEATING the system to have SWORN to uphold...like most cops, they do not care one iota about the laws and being fair..all they want is a conviction at all costs, and to hell with the real laws.

Nice assumption...and giving testimony..holy crap!

If a driver is ' agressive and hostile' but has not done anything you can charge for, then they have done NOTHING wrong!! just because you have thin skin and an inflated ego does not mean that you get to influence judges illegally. If there is not a DESIGNATED and LEGAL area on the ticket for such personal beliefs and accusations ( and there is not) then fine. As long as the accused gets to describe YOUR behavior to the judge then all is well.

Refer to my earlier response about charging them. Thin skin...haha, sure blame me for the drivers behavior...good theory. Again, AGAIN, AGAIN, our note doesn't influence the judge when it comes to YOUR DRIVING VIOLATION. Personal beliefs...ummm, nothing PERSONAL about it. And they DO get to tell the judge anything they like about me during that traffic stop so not sure what that rant was about.

But the cops do NOT want equality, they want an unfair advantage against their employerts...US. Their hope is that the judge will see their signs and forget the law and convict and sentence based on the coppers UNFOUNDED accusations and comments. Imagine if we could complain to the judge about the COPS attitudes...that would take so much court time it would grind to a halt describing the intimidation, lies, bluffs, illegal alerts and demeaning attitudes that most cops use.

You are smart enough to know that the public can make and open a complaint against the officer without ONE shred of proof. You can walk into your local dept and say hey, that cop right there was an AH to me and I want it looked into. So that is unfounded. Me pulling you over and RECORDING you isn't unfounded...its evidence.

It is HIGH TIME we citizens exposed this crap and make sure that in every courtroom, for every ticket, drivers should ask to see the cops copy so they can see any personal opinions abouit the driver listed in signs...thats all this is actually, a cops opinion and nothing more...but there are no laws that say we are to be judged buy some cops opinions of us.

Your not judged by our opinions, your judged by what you did wrong..and since OUR copy is the bottom copy, my copy of the ticket is the same as yours.

[quotes]Cops are such crybabies and whiners: They always want an unfair advantage and will subvert justice to do it. Sickening.Secret messages to the judge are ILLEGAL and IMPROPER in any civilized system, and we can thank the cops for once again sinking to the lowest possible denominator.

Show me the law where they are illegal or please stop being a CRYBABY and WHINER as you put it...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

The way I see it the codes should be used but also known to the drivers if they will be used. But if you throw a tirade and are swearing/yelling at cops after you were just caught doing 80 in a 55 then I feel no pity for you

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by superjesse13132000

This government is the same government that it has always been, sigh people always like to talk big about how they will hurt the government. But the fact is they won't do anything they just talk about it, and talk and talk and talk. The storm has been coming for a good 50 years now? Maybe longer...

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You are 100 right. You don't have to act a certain way on a stop, you may act however you want. There is nothing illegal about being an Ahole as another member said, BUT it WILL be noted. Now here comes the part that most are turning a blind eye too.

When it is noted, you are not anymore guilty. Your fine won't go up. You won't get more points on your license. Somehow people on here have the notion that a "code" raises the stakes...when it simply does not.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I know they like to staple tickets to your drivers license here in GA, and then cops look to see how many holes are in your license. The more holes ya got, the harder a time you are gonna get.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I know they like to staple tickets to your drivers license here in GA, and then cops look to see how many holes are in your license. The more holes ya got, the harder a time you are gonna get.

Thats illegal now. I will be the first to admit that was done years ago. The state now has made it illegal and if an officer is caught doing it the POST board WILL suspend your certification.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   
In the pharmacy we use codes such as PITA for pain the a--. One time a relief pharmacist didn't know the code and congratulated a woman for winning Queen Pita of the year.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is why more and more people are going to rebel against society. I for one think this is great. And great in the sense of this is just one more small reason to rebuild this system. This plays into the very reason the people I work around in my building are doing the job they are doing. These acts will and are ushering in the days of electronic judicial systems. Then more electronic traffic cops i.e. speed camera's, red light cameras the less of this "coded" non-sense goes on. Speed cameras can't have a emotional judgement.
This type of "coding" could very well also be used in a inovert accounting system for local municipals as well. First lets call a spade a spade if you will, traffic citations ARE a revenue stream there is NO WAY around this. I don't care how many police officers will argue law and order and public safty to try to counter this, it is revenue period. The public seems to loose site of this. I am going to add this from the Washington times as an example:

Through the first seven months of fiscal 2009, the city had issued 53,094 citations from its 49 red-light-camera locations and brought in $4.3 million in fine revenue, putting the District on pace to rake in $7.4 million by the end of September.

Since the program's inception in 1999, the highest total brought in by the devices in a fiscal year was $7.2 million in 2000, Metropolitan Police Department statistics show.

Now this is what citations are all about. So with a local system that does not have the funds to place camera's up these codes could very well be used as accounting measures by local cities and counties. your local LEO's are a meer shell of public safty they are more of a special revenue clerk but have no fear as like I have stated before they will soon be replaced. Their inflated salaries and pensions and union's can not longer be supported by failing systems. Camera's are more effecient more cost effective. It's coming.And a word of advice for you who are planning on going into law enforcement. You better skip the local and get your ass some serious schooling on informations gathering or you might just be baby sitting inmates at a county holding unit. This story is just one more cloud in the storm gathering..very sad people don't even understand how much of a slave they are.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

Codes are used in more than just traffic stops, they are used in everything from how you act when you buy your airline ticket, how you act when you go through customs. Chances are when you are stopped if you have been AH before it's in the system and the officers are told about it when they run your name. It's a reference tool, some judges will go light on your or give you the full punishment, but whatever I suppose they run the system.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Lame. I don't care what anybody says, your attitude should have ZERO bearing on the application of the laws!!! Being an A-HOLE IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW!!!! So it should make no difference in how you are treated in a court of law!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
so these alleged " secret codes " are really just an annotation of what the LEO will state if called to testify ?

that an accurate summary ???????????????

PS - i am ignorant of US court procedures - do judges ACTUALLY see the citation ticket

i only ask because in the uk - trafic tickets are heard in magistates courts - and the case for the prosecution us presented by a junior barriser from the CPS [ crown prosecution service ] - thats roughly euivilant to an assistant district atoreney in the US

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj1975
reply to post by SyphonX

Because when people fight the ticket, one of the first things they do is try to make the judge believe they were somehow wrongly pulled over and cited. The attitude and behavior displayed on the side of the road during the incident ODDLY enough is NOWHERE to be found and then they tell the judge that they were being intimidated, etc....so OUR NOTE lets the judge see that they were the ones AH. Then when the person lies about that we call into evidence the dash cam video.

Why we don't just watch the damn video right away I'll never know, but thats the courts for you.

How bout those who are AH Drivers and deny it in court get charged with lying under oath and conspiracy after the tape clearly proves they're lying.
That will put their panties in a bunch for sure!

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
To me some of the comments are
just amazing. I personally have no
problem with these characterizations.

One of the most irritating things to
see is some idiot who thinks the road
belongs to them and only them.
Unfortunately it seems some of those
same people are here posting their
arguements. There is no justification
for tailgating, speeding, passing in