It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS 2010 - Part Two - Convergence. (Merge BTS & ATS?)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I would like to see the smiley codes merged. BTS has some completely rediculous smilies that go a long way to compensating for certain restrictions emanating from the T&C, if ya know what I mean.

Other than that I guess I'm more in favor of keeping the two forums separate. They are two different mindsets.

If they are merged, please keep the "computer help" forum.

Also, in the new look, please try to include a clickable link to every (not just the last 250) post we have made, in our member's profile page. Tracking down old posts is an important thing in some discussions and is not always easy.

[edit on 11-2-2010 by ipsedixit]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ipsedixit
I would like to see the smiley codes merged. BTS has some completely rediculous smilies that go a long way to compensating for certain restrictions emanating from the T&C, if ya know what I mean.

Other than that I guess I'm more in favor of keeping the two forums separate. They are two different mindsets.

If they are merged, please keep the "computer help" forum.

Also, in the new look, please try to include a clickable link to every post we have made, in our member's profile page. Tracking down old posts is an important thing in some discussions and is not always easy.

smilies are completely interchangeable between the boards.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Just have to memorize the code.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Keep the domains seperate but do away with the extra log-ins if possible.

Also, it might be a good idea to inter-change dys-functional boards between ATS and BTS. Some boards that are currently on ATS belong to BTS and vice-versa. That should increase traffic to BTS and make it more interesting.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I also believe that we need to do away with separate log-ins, but need to keep the two forums separate. As several have stated, there seems to be different mindsets between the two forums. The separate log-ins are especially annoying when a thread a member creates is MOVED from ATS to BTS.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Something like a netPassport system would be ideal for The Above Network community. Microsoft has implemented a system where you can jump domains without having to log-in again and again.

If anything should be merged it would be the media portal to both ATS and BTS! I think having a seperate domain for media is silly/pointless but of course that is just my opinion.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
If anything should be merged it would be the media portal to both ATS and BTS!

Excellent point.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
No, I don't see a problem with the log in myself and it can't be that hard for people to work around.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Don't merge ATS and BTS.

Not good.

Nope ...nope....nope.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
keep things the way they are, stars would be nice on BTS, also, i think mutter should be merged to the recent posts on ATS as well, just my $2

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
NOO, DONT MERGE, BAD MOVE, RUBBISH SHOULD STAY AWAY TXTXTXT

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
My vote is no, S.O.

i dont see the need to do it. It would be a waste of energy and time, and anyway, i think BTS would completely ruin the whole seriousness of ATS. Hell, even skunk works is more serious than BTS, as it should be
And i would like to agree that if anything should be merged its the media portal and ATS. Maybe even the Media portal, and BTS.
It would be hella awesome to be able to click a button, upload a new video or picture, and use it in the post, straight from the posting spot.

just my .02

love and peace

[edit on 11-2-2010 by M157yD4wn]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I CANT READ THIS DIFFERENT COLOURED STUFF, PLEASE PUT IT BACK TO NORMAL...........

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have difficulty with just doing stuff in "member tools" asking me to log in when I am already logged in. From working tech support for many web hosting companies. The easiest way to resolve the issue is setting up the database to be a whole, instead of using separate databases for a primary and then a sub-domain. I would look into scripting the .htaccess file and the php.ini file using strict apache handlers to resolve the issue. Database convergence will be rough but will keep users happy to keep ATS and BTS separate.

Just some ideas to through out there, from looking through the site does not seem to be impossible to do, but will take a separate account to develop it so you can keep your primary (ATS) then sub-domain (BTS). The board software I am in love with, much better than any vbulletin or SMF.

I did think of something that may, depending on the hosting plan which I am leaning on this to be a dedicated plan of hosting used on ATS, depending on the traffic and amount of server resources needed on the BTS site you could likely get a decent priced VPS or even a higher end shared server account and simply sync to the ATS database with minimal SQL rewrites or edits in the .htaccess and php.ini files.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
No. I'd like to keep my awesome and my fail in separate containers, thankyou... I'll let you guys decide which is which...

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The only problem I have had with the current format within the ATS forum, has been when discussions and/or posts within the ATS arena have been transfered to the BTS site for reasons that a frankly lost on me.

When this has occured, the topic becomes one which I then tend to drop out off, due to the "Second" Login.

I just can not be bothered to do so.

It is ATS that I wish to be part of and support through thought and discussion that, in the perfect world, would allow for "Others" to at least have alternative points of views on topics, that they previously had not taken time to consider on these subjects.

Like many of the previous posters I do not think the matter is one where these two sites should become one, but it would be nice if the Login was a Joint Account, per se.

Otherwise, let BTS be.

Ciao

Shane

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of a move, and I am sorry for those that think that BTS is oblivion, or can't be bothered to go to BTS because a couple seconds login is too much hassle. But I don't think that a login issue is enough reason to destroy the brilliant community that has been built in BTS.

It's a great place to visit, the noticeable lack of vitriol and flaming that occurs in BTS is a blessing. I wouldn't want that changed for anything. I think that a merger would seriously hurt what is a wonderful part of the whole ATS experience.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Count me as a no. The separate login issue sounds pretty minor to me, and it's nice having a completely distinct area for topics and content that are not really part of the ATS environment.

Thanks for giving members a chance to weigh in on this.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
BTS my as well be integrated with the rest of the ATS boards after that was the fate of the separate AP board .

Cheers xpert11 .

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Double login is too much hassel. I vote to get rid of the double login bit.

I also get annoyed at essentially duplicate threads in "Breaking News".

Perhaps you can make a ONE "Breaking News" rule for the whole site. Place it in either ATS or BTS - whichever is most subject appropriate.

Reshuffle and consolidate; but, keep ATS and BTS separate.

Make ATS STRICTLY "Conspiracy" and not this dum-schmuck pseudo-conspiracy we see so much of. You know, the "Was Mickey Mouse a Vampire Werewolf" type trash.

Make BTS all Non-Conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I am going to preface this post with a few statements, because we're all human.

1) If you choose to believe differently than I do, great, if you do not, great.

2.) These are simply my opinions and suggestions.

3) This is the Internet, if you do not like my opinion, or my thoughts, great.

4) While I may or may not agree with you, I will treat you with respect, I expect the same.

5) My views may clash with yours, if they do, I expect to be disagreed with.

6) I will discuss this particular thread, fully knowing we are all grown adults, so please no rhetorical statements such as "Leave this board", "Noone asked you to come here" or any such nonsense.

(Had to include this)

My view is it does not matter any longer. I believe ATS is no longer ATS it has become BTS. You can see extremely low quality of threads popping up here on ATS, personal attacks have become rampant, sniping, one line rhetoric, posts with no sources, you can discuss religion related topics anywhere like General Conspiracy, Breaking Alter, Political Madness not just in Religious Conspiracy. I believe more neutral MODS are required for ATS to reclaim it's position of "Above" Top Secret.

Do not take me wrong I love this board and the chance this board has provided to discuss and share information on alternative topics and our views. But this board deems respect and quality which is fading.

Have you ever seen the "discussion" of Wikipedia administrators? How non biased and neutral they are while resolving conflicts or how they put in efforts to maintain their boards? I got a chance to see it myself 3 days ago. I know ATS is not Wikipedia but it's not wrong to expect the same quality and standards from users and mods here. I admit I am also part of the problem as I also did many things I mentioned here.

ATS is unique with it's different range of topics and IMO it should maintain a standard for threads or posts. If the current trend continue I believe we can name BTS as ATS itself (merge).

If steps are taken to improve the standard the quality then I disagree with this merge.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by December_Rain]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join