It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yahweh is a storm god

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kawacat

JESUS appearance of the Roman (IESU'uS) for
IeHSA'uWS sounded in Greek of Hebrew
YeShUaA 'he storing-up/preserving' like a ShUaAL (fox/burrower) having a den.

GOD
Genera (creator)
Opera (sustainer)
Demoli (renewer)

is 6th Cen (AD) Roman explanation of AVM (Agni Varuna Mithra) -and later the Protestant chosen alternative to the common Latin DEO (from Greek deomai 'to beg/petition -the sought') rather than the old Greek Philosophers' THEOS (idea/ concept)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU

I enjoyed your topic as well.. Send me a U2U if you start another topic tomorrow

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU

Thank you for those definitions - but people are liars so we cannot know which is true.

But I am of the firm belief that Jesus is the way - people will put me down for this but I don't care.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I'll post pics and maybe that'll help, if I can't find links...

my Dad told me not to go over there searching these things,
that there was nothing I'd find that wasn't already somewhere on the web,
but I've yet to find even one EL-Ye'aH glyph online depicted though I found several there!

I even found a Ye-aH glyph (with arms -upraised!) inside the Garden Tomb!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

Yep, despite the preconceived notions many believers have today the Jews of that time were massively polytheistic according to archeological evidence. This idea of the one true God only comes up much much later. This helps explain why Genesis says let US make man in OUR image.

Elohim, another word for God, is actually plural...

Ah the violence... anyone reading the Old Testament should really realize how scary a deity God was depicted as, killing children in Egypt, drowning everyone in a horrific flood, and just generally being what we would define as merciless and evil (remember what he did to Job?). That lowly wrathful Storm God came a long way and apparently mellowed out somewhat, at least until Revelations comes around

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth

Let me give you an example in the sister language of Hebrew, Arabic. The languages are almost identical when spoken. Like I previously stated, the whole overriding theme of the Quran is the "Tawheed" which means ONE-NESS of God. God is ONE, with no Son, no family, not partner, no equal, no "parts" of God, nothing. He just simply IS. Yet, in the Quran, God is repeatedly referred to as "We". Literally thousands of times. It just means respect.

But this is also used normal language, to give respect. Like Muhammad is refered to as MuhammadIM, to give respect.

This is very interesting from a linguistic point of view. As you probably know, the same is true in English, to some extent...the kings and queens of England used to refer to themselves as "We" (the so-called "royal we"). The technical reason for this is that this refers to "the king as a person" and the "majesty" of the king, which is not seperate per se but is somehow linguistically distinguished. This is why people say "your majesty" or "your honor" (to judges, etc.). When a person says, "Your honor," technically they are adressing the "status" of the judge rather than the person themselves. Politeness through indirectess, perhaps.

A number of Asian languages don't have plurals but have seperate noun and verb forms to denote different levels of respect and status. It would be interesting to know how many languages do this sort of thing, world-wide. It may be very ancient and point ot a proto-language.

[edit on 2/7/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
If I may, I'd like to offer a couple of perspectives?

Yeshua could speak from the perspective of a son who had never displeased his father, a good prince under a benevolent king. Belief in Him offers us this opportunity, as well, because of the New Covenant, one for all. God agreed to accept all who would come to Yeshua (Christ) because they had heard of and believed His sacrifice and resurrection were real. Honoring His son, who He loves very much, gains us God's favor, and a clean slate. But it's not the easiest sometimes, because we have a hard time learning to love like God without help from the Holy Spirit. I wish I had known that earlier in life.

The OT gives us God's perspective: a branch of humanity removed from pagan worship and taught to worship one God, i.e. the Hebrew families that came from Abraham, whose father was apparently an idol-carver in their hometown! God chose to separate a branch to worship Him, and someone had to be the man to base it on. Abraham answered. There is a lot to that story if one wishes to look into it. Extra-Biblical stuff that I wish had been there a long time ago, at least as traditional or cultural information.

The Amalek people, amongst other hostile tribes, were those who had not only refused life-saving hospitality, but attacked His new branch. If He didn't subdue the hostile tribes by giving the Hebrews victory (not them, really, for He helped them win every time), then His people would be wiped out early in the history of the family.

Other tribes who threatened His family were not to be tolerated, because sooner or later, they would overtake the Hebrews, in battle, or in cultural change, back to paganism. Conversion into the faith of the Hebrews was acceptable to God, however, as it would prove that this person had faith, the gift of God. It says in the OT that people would be grafted into the branch. He opens His arms to whoever can hear His call, those with a good heart, who do not seek or thrive in bad things, or dishonesty, cheating, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that God used all these situations to settle scores against those who had resisted Him in other , much more ancient situations, (more than the so-called 6000 year history of mankind) and who tried to battle His chosen branch before He could teach them to obey.

The OT is full of His rebukes to the Hebrews, as well. He even complains about them ignoring Him over and over, and taking after pagans again, after He had built the whole culture NOT to do that, but love Him only. He proved His love, and disciplined them without destroying them over and over, but they continued to flaunt their freedom and eventually forget Him, and offend Him by doing evil things, cheating, etc. Like all folks who forget morals. That's the main problem with pagan stuff that doesn't have morals, in the Bible. Those people end up doing reprehensible things.

God considers killing His chosen family reprehensible, no matter how bad they are. But He wasn't a hypocrite; He deals with the unrepentant Hebrews harshly, as well, we should remember. But only after offering them many warnings and many chances to change. What would He do if the whole branch was destroyed? Who would know Him on earth at all? A few good ones always remained, for His purposes, to regrow the branch. Does that make sense? He knew who was doing what, more than we can ever know. He engineered certain ones to build His family, and kept His word to them in return for their love and faith in Him, despite their sins, because who is sinless but Yeshua? Still, God knows who is His, who is kind and reasonable, seeking knowledge, being a light to others, etc.

Yeshua, modest, self-sacrificing, and full of God's favor, had no reason to experience God's displeasure, anger, or discipline. He offers us that path, not the easy one, but so worth it for trying to do good to others and to be kind and loving.

That's how we can experience this side of God, not requiring or causing His displeasure. We just need to think of Him as a good and very real presence or personality, however one could try to explain it. If we consider His feelings, then we can understand how to behave with respect for Him and one another, in the power of His love. He empowers that kind of person, and the rest seems to fall into line as you go.

Especially answers to deep questions, like UFOs, ETs, evil, good, learning, science, etc. Some answers are in little bits at a time, so they can be woven into a beautiful understanding, in my experience. If one wants to know, I suggest getting close to the one with ALL knowledge, and all the answers. He will give you some if you just ask Him, as Yeshua points out in the NT.

That's the difference, I think. We can avoid God's Son, and the promise that God made to give us a clean slate in return for honoring His Son and the sacrifice Yeshua made for all humanity. Then we are face to face with an offended God (OT).

Yeshua offers a better way. One must only seek it and He will speak to that one in a way that belongs only to Him and that person.

God would be even more angry if we scoff at this generous offer, the NT says, because His son wants to save us all, and has never harmed anyone, ever. We have no reason to turn Him down, from God's perspective. So Yeshua says that the Law is still valid to God, and we are accountable for it, reminding us of the alternative for refusing this final solution to sin and evil and pain. It's a win/win for those who are honest, or who consider the possibility of God. He is frustrated when we reject Him, because He's orchestrated a huge rescue party for mankind. We must grab on to make it, that is all. He cares about even one lost soul, since He paid for all to be forgiven, and restored. That's the story of the NT God and the OT God, one and the same, with feelings, and offers of a second, third, or millionth chance before it all goes down.

That's what I think is going on. I did a lot of research to seek the truth of this very perplexing question, and this is my working theory, for what it's worth.

Great thread, fellow thinker and lover of God!

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Salute Jesus!

Don't worry about God.

If we follow the teachings of Jesus, the world will be saved.

Think about it - He said "love your neighbour" - which means love everyone. And He said forgive everyone. And even tho that seems difficult - JUST DO IT.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by gandhi

Guess what. It's not. I tend to think that the Old Testament is highly influenced by malevolent forces. The only thing redeemable from the Old Testament is the Ten Commandments.

The differences between the God that Jesus spoke of and the god of the Old Testament are as obvious as day and night.

Jesus didn't seam to think so...just saying. Besides part of his name is YHWH. The name YHWH means "Self existent" rendering Jesus name. "Self existent Salvation"...it is IN this name you are saved.

What IN means is, it is IN this action you are saved...."Be fruitful and Multiply".

The "born again" that Christians profess is not the "born again" Jesus spoke of. In the Greek it says, you must regenerate....in other words "Procreate".

That is why the first law is this how it reads in hebrew..."Therefore a man MUST leave his mother and father and CLING inside the woman of him, and the two shall become ONE Flesh. Everyone here is of one flesh made from two. This is Gods law, this is natures law, this is Law.

Because the flower of youth dwindles God is saying, "My salvation shall not linger"...the bio time clock calls you home.

Witnessing your life, is seeing your life in your children, therefore Jesus says, "Forbid not the children to come unto me".

Those seeing the father, have become the father as only the father calls forward and writes that name in the book of life...DNA...It's written in blood...literally.

Peace

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Well yes people interpret god differently, saying he has mercy and what not, truth be told we get to choose how things are, god only gives, and giving is good.

There is however a little force called karma. This is how people get the idea of The having mercy.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copperflower
If I may, I'd like to offer a couple of perspectives?

Yeshua could speak from the perspective of a son who had never displeased his father, a good prince under a benevolent king. Belief in Him offers us this opportunity, as well, because of the New Covenant, one for all. God agreed to accept all who would come to Yeshua (Christ) because they had heard of and believed His sacrifice and resurrection were real. Honoring His son, who He loves very much, gains us God's favor, and a clean slate. But it's not the easiest sometimes, because we have a hard time learning to love like God without help from the Holy Spirit. I wish I had known that earlier in life.

The OT gives us God's perspective: a branch of humanity removed from pagan worship and taught to worship one God, i.e. the Hebrew families that came from Abraham, whose father was apparently an idol-carver in their hometown! God chose to separate a branch to worship Him, and someone had to be the man to base it on. Abraham answered. There is a lot to that story if one wishes to look into it. Extra-Biblical stuff that I wish had been there a long time ago, at least as traditional or cultural information.

The Amalek people, amongst other hostile tribes, were those who had not only refused life-saving hospitality, but attacked His new branch. If He didn't subdue the hostile tribes by giving the Hebrews victory (not them, really, for He helped them win every time), then His people would be wiped out early in the history of the family.

Other tribes who threatened His family were not to be tolerated, because sooner or later, they would overtake the Hebrews, in battle, or in cultural change, back to paganism. Conversion into the faith of the Hebrews was acceptable to God, however, as it would prove that this person had faith, the gift of God. It says in the OT that people would be grafted into the branch. He opens His arms to whoever can hear His call, those with a good heart, who do not seek or thrive in bad things, or dishonesty, cheating, etc.

What I'm trying to say is that God used all these situations to settle scores against those who had resisted Him in other , much more ancient situations, (more than the so-called 6000 year history of mankind) and who tried to battle His chosen branch before He could teach them to obey.

The OT is full of His rebukes to the Hebrews, as well. He even complains about them ignoring Him over and over, and taking after pagans again, after He had built the whole culture NOT to do that, but love Him only. He proved His love, and disciplined them without destroying them over and over, but they continued to flaunt their freedom and eventually forget Him, and offend Him by doing evil things, cheating, etc. Like all folks who forget morals. That's the main problem with pagan stuff that doesn't have morals, in the Bible. Those people end up doing reprehensible things.

God considers killing His chosen family reprehensible, no matter how bad they are. But He wasn't a hypocrite; He deals with the unrepentant Hebrews harshly, as well, we should remember. But only after offering them many warnings and many chances to change. What would He do if the whole branch was destroyed? Who would know Him on earth at all? A few good ones always remained, for His purposes, to regrow the branch. Does that make sense? He knew who was doing what, more than we can ever know. He engineered certain ones to build His family, and kept His word to them in return for their love and faith in Him, despite their sins, because who is sinless but Yeshua? Still, God knows who is His, who is kind and reasonable, seeking knowledge, being a light to others, etc.

Yeshua, modest, self-sacrificing, and full of God's favor, had no reason to experience God's displeasure, anger, or discipline. He offers us that path, not the easy one, but so worth it for trying to do good to others and to be kind and loving.

That's how we can experience this side of God, not requiring or causing His displeasure. We just need to think of Him as a good and very real presence or personality, however one could try to explain it. If we consider His feelings, then we can understand how to behave with respect for Him and one another, in the power of His love. He empowers that kind of person, and the rest seems to fall into line as you go.

Especially answers to deep questions, like UFOs, ETs, evil, good, learning, science, etc. Some answers are in little bits at a time, so they can be woven into a beautiful understanding, in my experience. If one wants to know, I suggest getting close to the one with ALL knowledge, and all the answers. He will give you some if you just ask Him, as Yeshua points out in the NT.

That's the difference, I think. We can avoid God's Son, and the promise that God made to give us a clean slate in return for honoring His Son and the sacrifice Yeshua made for all humanity. Then we are face to face with an offended God (OT).

Yeshua offers a better way. One must only seek it and He will speak to that one in a way that belongs only to Him and that person.

God would be even more angry if we scoff at this generous offer, the NT says, because His son wants to save us all, and has never harmed anyone, ever. We have no reason to turn Him down, from God's perspective. So Yeshua says that the Law is still valid to God, and we are accountable for it, reminding us of the alternative for refusing this final solution to sin and evil and pain. It's a win/win for those who are honest, or who consider the possibility of God. He is frustrated when we reject Him, because He's orchestrated a huge rescue party for mankind. We must grab on to make it, that is all. He cares about even one lost soul, since He paid for all to be forgiven, and restored. That's the story of the NT God and the OT God, one and the same, with feelings, and offers of a second, third, or millionth chance before it all goes down.

That's what I think is going on. I did a lot of research to seek the truth of this very perplexing question, and this is my working theory, for what it's worth.

Great thread, fellow thinker and lover of God!

Wow copperflower, I dont know where to start with kind disagreements (I hope you dont mind me commenting on your thoughts!)

The first thing that threw me off was the idea that God called a man out so this man could worship the true god. My response to this in depth would be so long....Im going to not beat around the bush and just say, I dont think God is worried about any worship....and all of the times man sought god in earthly things, god knew, this was not a reason to be jealous, but have patients, for man will soon enough see, nothing benefits man through this way.

I think what happened with what you call the Amalek and the 'chosen ones' is a red flag big time....do you not see why God cant have chosen ones?? All are Gods, all equally, God doesnt use 2 wrongs to make a right, and we should not either.

God does not intervene here in hopes of us obeying. God does not have a 'branch ' of people. God is love, loves all, wants us to gain understanding for our ways (which is not obeying, not the same), and again, God is not worried about worship.....God isnt this great disappointed God....Thee is not this great angry God....man has mislead many in these ideas.

ALso.....the ONLY way one gets a clean slate....is by carrying their own cross, and reaping what they sow. Jesus was a teacher...but many, like always, wants a man to be God. Shortcomings dont anger God....they only let God know what we have accomplished in our understandings. God is not angry if we are not yet ready to understand things of spirit....time makes no difference to God.

Gods plan has not changed, nor will it change....for it was perfect in the beginning. There needs to be no rescue plan....for God knew, the spiritual law of reaping what we sow is all that is needed to sift our spirit our from our flesh. With to and fro....with cycles and orders....with our experiences and opportunities....God has made a way, it has been and always was, perfect.

Man keeps wanting to change it...man keeps wanting to make Gods plan their own benefit for power. Man wants it to be easier....such as 'just have faith'.....'just except the gift'.

Having faith does not teach one understanding of why we should be more of spirit then flesh. Just excepting the gift does not encourage one to seriously 'walk in the way' as Jesus did.

Many think we cant become perfect, for they have been taught, we are a mistake, we shouldnt be here...that damn serpent and Eve.

Im sorry to say, God meant for this world to be the way it is....God meant for us to learn through cause and effect, the law of reaping what we sow. Jesus came and taught the same law, but man, as usual, makes it to benefit man, earthly things....taking the spiritual things out of it.

God didnt need for anyone to die....I hope you can find this truth one day...for it will then shine the true nature of Gods glory in your heart.

And to add...about Jesus. How do we know that he taught truth in the 'way'. Because he practiced what he preached. He not only taught to not fight for this life....but he himself did not fight for this life when the time came. He not only taught to turn the other cheek....but he did turn the other cheek, when faced with hate and pride from others. Jesus didnt HAVE to die...but chose to accept the life of spirit over the life of flesh. Jesus offered his life of flesh, to teach us, what to fight for and what to not fight for. He walked the 'way'...showing us how to do the same.

My best to you
LV

[edit on 7-2-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Somebody in trouble! uh oh!...

Exodus 20:7. “You shall not misuse the name of Yahweh your Elohim, for Yahweh will not leave unpunished anyone who misuses his name.” (Third Commandment, New Jerusalem Bible)

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
That lowly wrathful Storm God came a long way and apparently mellowed out somewhat, at least until Revelations comes around

You have to remember that the book of Revelation is largely symbolic. It's not going to be what people think it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Leo, you have to understand that Copper, while well intentioned, makes the same mistake that others do. It is something that is rather prevalent in this day and time. Humans strive to anthropomorphize God. We try to put human characteristics on something that is not human and is beyond human comprehension.

People say, "Well, didn't God say that we were made in his likeness?" My rebuttal to that is we are only spiritually in his likeness. Once we enter the matrix of physicality, that likeness with God disperses.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Why would "GOD" deserve a name if 'it' was not "To Be" in the Creation
a Person, personally related with by the people?

How would you in any way commune with a "GOD" that isn't a Who with a body you could hug, or a hand you could hold, or a face you could read, or a language of definite terms (chosen) to have discourse of dialog in correspondence?

Did you think you could just go out into space without a human function shaped spacesuit?
How did you think the Creator intended to Create Creatures with which to make the Universe?

Look again at the Name (and reconsider that source at Ugarit of Akkadian Cuneiform that said it was a storm god)!

(I am at a site where Israelites in 759 BCE name YeHUaH relative to GhuGhil "water-controller")

[edit on 2010/2/7 by YeHUaH ELaHaYNU]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
reply to post by LeoVirgo

True,the REAL God is nameless, and unfathomable. God certainly cannot be defined by the anthropomorphic god of the Old Testament.

Leo, I know that you're smart, so you know what I mean. In my opinion, the writers of the Old Testament, Hasmonean Jews, used God as a crutch to justify their own despicable acts. It's akin to when someonecommits a crime today and claims that "God told me to do it." It's the same principle, different era.

I'd be willing to go along and say its still practiced TODAY, wasnt Lilith, Adams first wife also considered a storm god/demon once she rejected Adam ?

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Is "GOD" the Named 0ne?
Or did the 0ne named rather represent 'it' to mediate and point us to "the GOD and 'Father' of our Lord..."?

And if I respond to His resurrection as Thomas; "My Lord and my GOD" does that mean He is 'The 0ne 0nly ultimate "Father" of Creation'?

I take notice to the 77 times YeShUaA is extant in the TeNaCh, and know that He is YeHUaH.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Moved to new thread.

[edit on 7-2-2010 by Paradox.]

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This thread is not news to secular and religious scholars. Secular scholars will tell you it took centuries for the ancient Jewish religion to evolve from pantheism to monotheism, and even when the Jewish religion became officially monotheist, there were still some polytheistic holdouts.

Biblical scholars can point to several verses in the Bible where the Israelites are rebuked for worshiping idols or other gods. Thus it is clear from the Bible alone that many Israelites continued to worship other Gods throughout antiquity.

posted on Feb, 7 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This His planet (wherein the Creator entered Creation as the chosen Creatures) by His resurrection is the seed of life which shall prove to be the Capitol of the "To Be" Universe (Heaven).

That there is by our mistake also shame regret remorse and error be glad that it has been killed to being a dead issue and shall not be granted continuance but are only matters of waste refuse (Helled).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join