It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on the state of the union address

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Well, now that I've slept on it and calmed down a bit from watching whatever that was supposed to be last night, this is my take on the SOTU:

1. We are still a very much divided country, as evidenced by half the room standing/half the room sitting.

2. The separation of powers is still steadily being undermined. The SCOTUS was chewed out publicly where they had no ability to defend themselves. While I have stated that I do not agree with that decision last week, it was a bit distasteful to act out that way.

3. Openly gay people can now easily join the military. May as well, at the rate we're losing soldiers from suicides and treating them terribly with the VA, we'll need replacements.

4. Rich people in a room cheering on how they can relate to the "middle-class American" when I doubt they even have a clue on what living paycheck to paycheck is really like. People still will lap this up when the lie is stated that, "we can relate to the average American."

5. Though Global Warming is about as last year as polyester shirts with butterfly collars are 1999, we're still going to bring it up and chuckle when the audience just isn't buying it. Great call at least on saying that regardless we should be better to the environment, however I could think of a few ways to solve that without building a nuclear power plant.

Basically it wasn't much of anything I didn't see in one way or another last year for GWB, except better command of the English language.

As far as Gov. McDonnell's speech after, I'm going to have to look into this guy. I didn't like everything that the guy said, but some of it seemed pretty even-lined and sensible. Much better than Jindal's speech last year. Go him for having an Asian and an African-American in the backdrop at all times, that's mighty PC of you, Gov. Such efforts seem so fake in the first place, I don't understand why politicians want to do such a silly thing. Overall, a good rebuttal.

Now TPTB can pat themselves on what a great job they did last night, and Joe-Blow in middle America can be informed about how his job was outsourced overseas and that he is going to have to find other means to take care of his family.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
You are all under hopenosis!

What he really said was that the galactic federation of nibiru is coming in 2012 and that the US govt has been in league with aliens since the 50s.

Obama sold you hope and took your change ;P~

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
As far as Gov. McDonnell's speech after, I'm going to have to look into this guy. I didn't like everything that the guy said, but some of it seemed pretty even-lined and sensible. Much better than Jindal's speech last year. Go him for having an Asian and an African-American in the backdrop at all times, that's mighty PC of you, Gov. Such efforts seem so fake in the first place, I don't understand why politicians want to do such a silly thing. Overall, a good rebuttal.

As I stated earlier on this thread. I couldn't shake the feeling that the American People will be seeing a lot more of him in our future. The Republicans are done with trying to get "Dinosaurs " Elected.

If not the next run at the white house possibly the one after that . We could be seeing his face on the ticket.

Stay tuned on that one.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chett
Meh
What good is a speech from a proven liar?

Forgive student loans ...right, lets get more people accustomed to being on the dole.

Could not have been stated any better!!!! Excellent analysis,,,,

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Since his election, I have not been able to sit through even a TV interview where Obama talks without getting nausea. But I decided to at least give this failing president a chance to convince me otherwise last night. He failed. BTW, I'm an independent voter, so I'm the type he needed to sway. Anyway, what he did succeed in doing last night was to create what will be a landslide election for Republicans this year. Only it will be a more lean type with less "progressive" tendencies.

I came across with the opinion that Obama cares nothing about what you may think or care. He has his agenda and that's it. He seemed proud and intolerant. His insult to the Supreme Court will offend most every American. I noticed that even the more liberal activist judges felt offended by his jab.

Mr. Obama has not gotten the message that was said with a loud and clear voice. He will be a one term president. This will be the last year for a while that the Democrats have the House and Senate. So that's my opinion on his failure and resulting defeat of the democrats in November. Now for my opinion of what he should have said.

My fellow Americans, members of the House and Senate, Supreme Court Justices, distinguished guests, I want to tell you that I hear what you are saying. I regret that I have pushed too far too fast with what I believe is the right path for the nation. While I still want a better health-care plan, I realize that you, the American people want one that is transparent and bipartisan. One that is limited in scope and allows for interstate competition and includes tort reforms. I will do my bast to give you the plan you want.

While I could blame the former administration for the current economic policies I will not do so. It is my watch, my responsibility. I take full credit for current failures and will work tirelessly on the economy from today onward. I propose the suspension of income tax on individuals earning 50,000 dollars or less. I propose making the Bush tax cuts permanent. I also propose cutting small business tax for businesses earning 200,000 dollars or less. And lastly, I propose the immediate effort to drill here and drill now for energy independence.

Thankyou.

One last thing. Name blaming, and soft shoeing the people will not work. As Obama said himself.

" It's words... It's just words..."

Nothing has changed from before the speech. Nothing at all.

[edit on 28-1-2010 by Fromabove]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I hate to break it to you guys, but from an outside looking in you're as screwed today as you were yesterday

Unless a President (ANY President) and your two Houses have the strength to:

Pull the plug on the Military-Industrial Complex and your hundreds of bases overseas
Pull the plug on the Fed and take back control of your currency
Make it impossible for corporate lobbyists to influence elections and elected officials
Concentrate on improving the nation's infrastructure and health
Stop spending money like it's going out of fashion

and...
Clear your debts

Unless these things are done, and I didn't hear ANY of these in Obama's SOTU speech, you're always going to be screwed... and increasingly so

Sorry!

[edit on 28/1/2010 by Dagar]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I actually am beginning to be relieved, as I see that many people are now awakening and seeing through the absolute FACADE that our gov and figure head puppet "leaders" have become.

This guy, as already stated, EPITOMIZES special-interests, and pandering to the elite (his, and the last several administrations controllers)...

This "speech" was nothing more than another in a long list of pacification attempts to keep what few sheep that are still sleeping in their stalls unconsciousess. Trouble for the latest slick-talking salesman is, everyone sees REALITY all around them, as they lose their homes, their jobs, and their livelihoods, and he has not only done ZERO to try and change this course, but instead stepped on the gas pedal, speeding forward with all of the same idiotic foreign and domestic policies which have brought us TO this point.

So like others, all I heard was more lies and bamboozlements, more completely empty rhetoric and smoothe-talk, from another elitist gun for hire, who continues to help the true PTB victimize the american populace.

Thank goodness so many of you are awakening to this. Keep the focus shined on ALL of these pathologically lieing criminals people....Eventually enough will awaken that we will stop this.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What I saw was a well delivered slap on the wrist to the right. He basically attacked the big banks and wall street for breaking the economy, the insurance companies for robbing, the corporations who send work overseas, the SC for making election politics even more corrupt, and the oil greedy elitists for ignoring the man on the street.

The right sat squirming as their house of cards was dismantled. He basically told them that they'd have to work for a living, and do what they were elected to do rather than pander to the lobbyists for their own gain. Lieberman looked really uncomfortable.

What I saw was an intelligent man who actually gives a rats about America, rather than an old boy network of elitist thieves. Also, he said 'Nuclear' and pronounced it properly.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
What a bunch of crap!

It is complete dishonesty to blame all of our problems on Bush when both houses of Congress have been controlled by Democrat majorities since the November 2006 elections. Democrats need to take responsibility for THEIR OWN failures. They have been running the show for the last three years. The last two years of Bush he was a lame duck because he had a DEMOCRAT house AND senate. Wake up!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Even though I'm not a fan of Obama I admit its nice to see his humor, I think it speaks well of anyone in my opinion to know that a sense of humor is there. I liked his approach to some issues but as with any politician I like or not, we'll see if he can get it done. I must admit that he does have a very engaging personality and I think anyone who is fair minded can agree with that.

I got a laugh when he called out the justices sitting in front of him regarding the lobbyists' ruling. The look on their face (or the lack of) was priceless.

All in all, I'll be waiting for results though.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
2. The separation of powers is still steadily being undermined. The SCOTUS was chewed out publicly where they had no ability to defend themselves. While I have stated that I do not agree with that decision last week, it was a bit distasteful to act out that way.

I thought it was a brilliant move on BO's part. I mean, he is the POTUS...the voice of the American People (majority of course). I think it was something that needed to be addressed, and what better platform than the most important/watched speech of the year.

Just as I believe it is inappropriate for parents to scold children in public, sometimes it's necessary.

What else is one to do when dealing with a body of decision makers that answer to no one?

[edit on 28-1-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Watching a bunch of wealthy people in a room cheering for middle class America was absolutely nauseating. It must be easy to sit there and smile and laugh so carelessly as someone in America that night didn't have the money to feed their kids, or pay their bills.

I'm sick of all of them. Last night was nothing but a performance.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by la2
there lies the problem

SPEND SPEND SPEND, you cannot afford anything he proposed tonight, and someone needs to tell him!

Tax cuts mean less money to the government!

Amen. Keynesian economics doesn't work. You can't spend yourself out of a recession. This is nothing more than a ruse that the feds are pushing to create these opulent slush funds for them, their political cronies and the machine that is Washington, D.C.

And all the while they try and make us feel like were doing the right thing by allowing them to steal our wages (NOT INCOME) to fund programs that the federal government was never authorized to fund.

Zero INCOME taxes and limited government with States' rights emphasized and equally represented is what we need.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Pissed me off how the republicans just sat there when he said they need work with the democrats for the future of this country and its people. I also noticed Fox news bashing Obama as soon as it was over. I don’t care for Obama either but he is the people’s choice and president of these United States.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by coastalite
What a bunch of crap!

It is complete dishonesty to blame all of our problems on Bush when both houses of Congress have been controlled by Democrat majorities since the November 2006 elections. Democrats need to take responsibility for THEIR OWN failures. They have been running the show for the last three years. The last two years of Bush he was a lame duck because he had a DEMOCRAT house AND senate. Wake up!

Hmmmm... if i remember right any talk against Bush's agenda during that time and you were labeled as unamerican.
any talk about capping the war spending and you were labeled as against the troops.
The repubs have figured out (and this has been going on since Reagan) that they can spend to high heaven, get the the country in a hell of a fix.
And then when the Dems have to make THE THOUGH choices for our own good they can cry foul.
All the time hoping no one remembers.
I REMEMBER!
I remember who instigated NAFTA (yeh clinton signed it as a peace offering to the right elite) but that was Daddy Bush's baby from the start.
What i see in Obama is a man trying to do whats good for the country.
Against the status quo.
And unfortunately he has to walk on glass.
I wish he had the dictitorial power Bush incorperated had during those eight years of hell.
He might be able to get us out of this fix.
But unfortnately he's beating his head against the right( actually WRONG brick wall)
The Wailing and nashing of teeth fron the right is just sickining.
Yes the right will get their turn again.
With their outlandish behavior they've gotten alot of people to believe their lies.
But when they do get their turn.
REMEMBER WHAT THEY DO!
And don't let them weasle out of the blame.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
For the actual issues instead of just vaguely saying how I feel about the American President:

Healthcare: I'm personally glad the Democrats super-majority in the senate is over, the reform bill passed through that governing body showed just how dangerous a one party system can be. I want to see a federalized national system, I won't get that. What is positive and realistic is a good compromise that is the start of a longer process of reform, and it's something Democrats and Republicans can work together on.

Economy: This will be President Obama's biggest test. If he is right, he will be seen as a great president by history. If he fails, he could be seen as the second Hoover. I am out to lunch still on what I think of his plan, but I say let him do it, and either reap the benefits or suffer the consequences.

Education: About time that something was done to make university more accessible for Americans! I went to college in the United States, I've seen the system and I keep in touch with my friends whom are almost all still paying off their debt. Getting a more highly educated population is fundamental to America's future. I hope it all comes together and actually opens up a university education to all who want and can do it.

Energy/Environment: It's also about time a Democrat called for the construction of new nuclear power plants. I believe in nuclear power, it's the perfect stopgap system until newer technologies come on line. Let's see that one happen. As for the global warming comments, it is still almost universally accepted in the scientific community that this is happening. Obama's comments were not out of line, he just has to do a better job of explaining the situation to the people.

Wars/International Affairs: There really wasn't anything new here I thought. Obama basically rehashed what has been said before. The war in Afghanistan will go on, Iran is bad and should feel bad, troops are good, petty flag waving is not. Blah, blah, we've heard it all before.

Don't Ask Don't Tell: I'm fine with repealing it. I'm also amazed America has such a problem with it.

High-Speed Rail: Well done America! I know the United States is a much bigger country than any of the others that currently have large high-speed railroads. However a phased implementation plan such as the one presented is perfect for getting going. It is amazing how much more convenient and easier trains are than flying for short distances. On top of that the security systems are nowhere near as long and invasive, which is something relaxing to all of us I think.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I found it hilarious that in the same speech he proposed:

1) a spending freeze

and

2) billions in additional spending programs

Its that sort of double speak that gives him away for what he really is....... typical politician saying whatever people want to hear, and then pushing whatever his true agenda is behind closed doors.

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts

Originally posted by la2
there lies the problem

SPEND SPEND SPEND, you cannot afford anything he proposed tonight, and someone needs to tell him!

Tax cuts mean less money to the government!

I understand what you are saying, but I think targeted tax cuts that put more money in middle class pockets actually grows the economy and is stimulative. He's not talking about the giveaways to the billionaires of the preceding administration.

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by custom2006

"He's not talking about the giveaways to the billionaires of the preceding administration"

Yea, the same giveaways he supported via his senatorial vote?

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Freenrgy2

Here is my question:

What business is Obama for? Oil-No, Coal-No, Banks-No, Wall Street-No, Student Loans-No, Big Retailers-No. Almost every form of big business besides small business he is against. As long as you are a small business with no ambition in becoming big business you are ok. If you turn into a big business then you are evil. That reminds me, why does he want to put a tax on the banks when the banks have already paid the money back? What about AIG, GM, Freddie and Fannie Mac? Why not tax them..... oh wait, I get it. The banks are where most of the taxpayers put their money so if we charge the banks a tax it will be ok because they can just pass it on to their customers in higher fees and charges. See, if they do that then they can always collect the tax and never have to end it.

Or, let's walk down this road. Let's say together you and your wife ( or husband ) make $210,000 together this year but next year you both get raises and you end up making over $250,000. Do you know what you have just become? An enemy of Obama that he will hold up to everyone else and say how evil you are for making that much money. By the way, the government will take 40% of that, thank you very much.

Everything he said last night was about the people that RECEIVE ( or would start RECEIVING ) government help. What he did not talk about was the people that play money into the system so that these people could receive help, ie-TAXPAYERS. Everyone forgets that 90% of all tax revenue comes from the middle class. Do you think taxes will go up or down on 90% of the taxpayers with all of the money being spent. My guess is up.

He still thinks global warming is creditable? Great line, "When all of the evidence points to global warming." Really? Why would he still push this? Got it...cap and trade. More money and control to the government.

Obama cares about the average joe about as much as he cares for Karl Rove. Obama really has never held a "real job". Hell, on his staff only 8% of them have ever had a job in the private sector.

He says he wants everyone to get along in Washington but he turns around and locks Republicans and Independents out of the building of bills.

He wants a transparent government but does everything behind closed doors.

Here is the kicker. He stands up last night and blames Republicans for stopping progress on bills but the last time I checked he was in the White House and his party controls both Houses. If he wanted to legalize smoking pot while killing a prostitute right now he could. Him blaming Republicans for not getting anything done in the last year is like Brett Farve blaming that interception on the wind inside the superdome.

Obama has proved one thing so far to me.... he will say anything to advance his causes. He does not care about who he hurts, let down or steps on in the process.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join