It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on the state of the union address

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well, I don't think disclosure will be happening any time this year. I found the speech to be underwhelming. Maybe Obama should fulfill some of his older promises first before he floods us with new ones.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
is it that he hit a nerve with some of you people, and your feeling guilty for not opening your mouths about the previous 8+ years of screwing up the county, droping us all in a neck deep hole of war and debt.

now someone is trying to do something to right this mess we are all in.

people have really short memories, he said in his last speech that health care, and medical care in this country will be cause of our ruin in the future if we dont get a handle on it in some form.

and he said no more proposing things without a way to pay for it. he is looking to tighten the reins on the idiocy, and free wheel spending that takes away from the people, get a grip people....

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Keep in mind, most people really wont know what to think until they are spoon fed how to think by their favorite talking head...until then, they will hold pattern on their previous notion of how they view him.

Well said.

It is so very true.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Well, in final comment before I shut this thread down and go on with life, I will state:
I am still a Obama supporter...I have been quite angry with dems in general for being spineless puss's. (proud and unrepentent liberal).

In saying that, his words were elegant, pretty, and spoken like a Oscar winning actor...but they are just words. Unless action comes from the words the ultimately it is a meaningless hour spent watching posing and posturing.

So...lets see how the next 12 months pan out...great speech, now get off your arse and do something (metaphorically...mostly aimed at senate/congress but whatever...he is the overall government puppet to answer for success and failure)

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwantano

This is funny because you're implying that American Politics are real.

It's more like pro wrestling.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I thought the speech was fine and some of his proposals would be great if followed through on.

As others have said, I'll wait and see before finalizing any real judgments.

I'm usually pretty apathetic when it comes to talking about this stuff, but ATS has me scratching my head sometimes. The man could have disclosed ET, said he was bringing everyone home via a teleporter in the next 5 minutes, and shown free energy devices and people would still take shots at him.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Well, I watched the entire thing from beginning to end. The man is a smooth talker but we shall see if he puts his money where his mouth is; or will he have to insert his foot into his mouth? We will see.

I did like the part where he slammed the supreme court for their ruling last week concerning the campaign contributions. I could not help but laugh.

Being a former Marine, I also watched the face of General Conway (Commandant of the Marine Corps) just sink and the look in his eyes when Obama talked about the don't ask don't tell policy. Not sure of the rest of the military leaders faces as I was just watching General Conway's face.

All in all, I guess I liked the fact that he presented that the government was there to serve the ones that put them there. I just don't see it happening; they will not give up their fat wallets for the sake of the average American because they just don't care about us. I would like to think the President's intentions are honest but I just can't help but think of him as a puppet.

Just my .02 on the speech. There is so much running through my head I know I did not cover all my thoughts here.

-Nate

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Since Israel has signed none of the treaties dealing with nuclear weapons does this mean that they are one of the 43 countries attending the reduction talks? Are they going to be asked to reduce? I heard North Korea and Iran mentioned in his speech but not Israel. Personally they could have used the 30 billion they are sending to Israel in "aid" on reducing the deficit but OH Wait they are freezing spending aren't they or was the check already cashed?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I played the Obama drinking game. Made the speech much more enjoyable and easier to watch.

What I do know is, that I asked a friend on facebook what they thought of the speech (ner'mind the fact she leans hardcore left) and I was called a "teaperson"

Really.. simply asking what they thought makes me a "teaperson". Seriously? Well I rather enjoy thinking for myself and asking questions.. so I call me Lipton please.

Can someone please explain to me, just exactly when did it become okay for someone to allow government to think for them.. and just when in the hell did it become so wrong to think for yourself? Did I miss the memo?

Anywhoo.. back on topic, no disclosure (unless I missed it due to the drinking game) and a lot of the same ole same ole. Obama talks a good game, but I am sick of talk, I want action. We as a Nation, are ready for action!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Mostly un-funded (except by tax dollars), un-enforceable (unless he totally trashes the constitution), mandates. Most are not even the job of the Fed...even if it were in the black by 20 digits.

I think he's gonna try to destroy the small local bank (that has done pretty well) by FORCING them to take money. The reason they are in good shape is they didn't invest in BS. They didn't invest in people with crap credit. I love my local bank!

He's talking about penalizing banks that took (read "forced to") money. They have (last checked) paid back 90+ percent of that given to them.

Most didn't want the money and were refused when they tried to give it back!

Car companies? They've paid back about 15%.

Whats wrong with this picture?

Offshore drilling and Nuke power? yeah. I really believe that!
Taxing companies that move overseas? Walmart? Costco? yeah. right. They made most of them go.

Making colleges cheaper? Thats a state issue thanks! Texas deregulated them and the price went through the roof. Illegals can go for free.

Am I missing something?

Creating jobs? Dump taxes (I want to see mine drop 3/4's) and lets see what happens. I don't mean just talk about it either.

Too much other crap.

More BS from a super inflated ego!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I'm still trying to absorb the idea of clean energy being "nuclear and coal plants".

I'm also enjoying the memory of the deadpan expressions on the military members faces during the "don't ask don't tell" reference, and the awkward moment when he basically flipped off the SC justices.

All in all, a very entertaining show- much like a catalogue of how many pipe dreams can be recounted in an hour and 20 minutes...

Oh, and the cackling laughter at every mention of climate change was priceless.

oh- and the best bit was when he screwed over everyone who makes 250,000 a yr or more---basically everyone in that room.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by cjcord]

link   
Result of 2010 SOTU:

Wait, and watch.

Good speech, but the republicans didn't budge on some serious issues going further to show how they care more about money, the lobbyists and everything else aside from the American people.

It's hard to watch something like this knowing 9/11 was a false flag attack for profit, and having him mention it and "Al Qaeda"...declare war on Al Qaeda then! I can see this same scenario playing out...iranians caught or busted, some "links to iranian intelligence found" then paperwork for an invasion or declaration of war against iran, SK, etc.

We shall see Osa..Obama, we shall see. You got 2 years until SHTF, let's see how you will usher it in.

link   
I didn't watch it. I don't have to watch it. Whatever your perspective there's going to be the "chicken in every pot and a car in every driveway" blather that will resonate with whatever your circumstances are.

If you're a student something will resonate.
If you're an old geezer on SS something will resonate.
If you're a small business owner fear not there's something in there for you too.

I guess Whirly Ben will have to lease a couple of Kinko's because I don't see how the Treasury's presses can keep up.

Unless there's a secret plan to send Gore to the moon what can NASA do for the climate? Just think of all the hot air that would take out of circulation. Hell, if they could squeeze Kim Jong il and Glenn Beck onboard with him we'll all be wearing parkas and snow shoes this summer.

All this stimulus spending sounds great until you realize what that many dollars in circulation is going to do. Wait until you go into McDonalds for a grease patty with a side of lard and have to plunk down five or six billion dollars. Welcome to Mugabe economics. We'll eventually have to make the dollar twelve inches long to fit all the zeros on it.

The bills always come due. They may be able to postpone it for a while longer but the bills will come due.

It doesn't matter what Obama said. Did the Captain on the Titanic make the announcement "You're all gonna die"? Keep toking that hopeium while all the wizards of Wall St. sneak away on the lifeboats.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I noticed a lot of a strategically placed color. PURPLE

Not sure if it meant "ROYAL" or "RECENTLY BRUISED" but I think it was supposed to mean "Blue + red=Purple"

Was he talking to the republicans, yes, but perhaps even more specifically Dr. Paul when he was talking about voting no on everything and worrying mainly about your own ambitions (audit the fed)?

No doubt in my mind that he IS listening and has an idea about what the US people want. How sincere he is I dunno. I can't exactly trust him now, can I? Transparency? Did he DARE talk about transparency? And DIGNITY? When he wants to make us all go through those nakie body scanners just to do the stuff we need/ want to go do? And did he DARE mention Cap and Trade?

That said, it is clear to me that I could not be a republican if I wanted to. (I agree with a lot of republican's ideas.) I don't LOOK enough like a republican. I'm WHITE headed enough I guess, but that's about it.

I didn't get the REPUBLICAN response though at all. What was with the 10 minutes of high school pep rally foot stomping/hand clapping all in unison now! How about a few war hoops like we are at a Lynard Skynard concert? What WAS that? And why'd they keep showing the 3 black people in the room so much - and were any of them actually OLD enough to hold office anyway? Let's make sure to get ONE of the three right behind our speaker.... Plus it SOUNDED neocon. Still.

Anyway, those were my thoughts. I developed a short term Tourette's hearing Obama speak so I can't repeat ALL my thoughts verbatim. I will say that another member of this house kept saying "Don't stand up Turkey Neck - Don't stand up." It was good comic relief.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by hadriana]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Justice Alito Comes Close To Heckling Obama’s SCOTUS Remarks

www.mediaite.com...

mouthed the words ‘not true.’

www.mediaite.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justaposter
I played the Obama drinking game. Made the speech much more enjoyable and easier to watch.

What's your version of the Obama drinking game? Do you take a double shot everytime he 'connects' with the younger hip hop crowd, by saying something like "I need to give a shout out".

I can't believe disclosure didn't happen again.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
How about the SOTU smoking game?

Obama says "let me be clear" - take two hits

Obama says "Change" - take a hit

Obama says "make no mistake" - take a hit

Joe Wilson yells something - take two hits

Obama says "job creation" - take a hit, two if you're unemployed

Nancy Pelosi claps like a seal - take a hit

Obama says "hope" - take a hit

Obams says "mortgage or foreclosure" take two hits

Joe Biden nods-off/laughs inappropriately/starts talking before the speech is over- take three hits

Obama uses the term "Congressional leadership" - take two hits carefully as all that laughing might make you cough

Obama says he's "fighting for you"- take a hit, two if you believe him

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009

we shall see if he puts his money where his mouth is;

Don't you mean puts our money where his mouth is?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Mind you, they are to remain silent, amazing

Normal protocol calls for Supreme Court justices in attendance at State of the Union addresses to remain silent, even when members of Congress erupt in cheers, boos or other reactions.

lawyersusaonline.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The speech sounded like a remake of his campaign leading up to the election. Empty rhetoric and inflated promises. The whole speech was filler and did not convey any leadership and worse of all he acted and spoke as if he fails to understand basic economics.

The speech will be remembered for all the old lies that he repeated and the new lies that he made to the American public.

The next few days will be abuzz with Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage and Glenn Beck and others tearing into his exaggerations, pontifications and his arrogant attitude displayed to anyone who can see that Obama is over his head. Way over his head and no amount of PR is going to convince the skeptics that Obama knows what he is doing.

Since most will agree that Obama is a puppet, that implies that his puppet masters don't know what their doing anymore than Obama. It is a classic case of the blind leading the blind while the public suffers the consequences of his ignorance and arrogance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join