It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on the state of the union address

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I agree with those of you who said it sounded like a high school pep rally!!!!!!!!!!! I listened to it on the radio. Obama is an empty suit. in 2012 are the democrats still going to use the tired old line of "the last 8 years?". Come on! It's these stupid wars that are the biggest drain on our economy and Obama is doing NOTHING to end them.

link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
Relevance - 6 out of 10 stars
Plausible solutions offered - 2 out of 10 stars
Actual solutions offered - 1 out of 10 stars
Verifiable data submitted for acceptance - 0 out of 10 stars
Upset stomach from viewing Pelosi's face to long - 10 out of 10 stars
Induced fatigue from exercise class getting up and down- 10 of 10
Belief at conclusion - 0 out of 10 stars

And I'm a freakin optimist!

Feel Good Speech Of The Year - 10 Stars

.....................LOL ..........

link   
reply to post by kyle43

Or the laughter when he said "overwhelming evidence" on global warming and implying we need to enact the Cap and Trade because of it.....

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I find the republican response interesting...seems they are more concerned with the education being highschool level and said nothing about university. oh well.

I am actually suprised how many similarities there are here. good to see they are on board for the most part.

Whats amusing is...was anyone shocked that someone tried to light their underwear on fire? I wasn't shocked when someone tried to light their shoe on fire...nor did I blame bush for individual idiots...random statement from this guy.

investment is off...its more important to have a million new investors invest a dollar into something than for 1 person to invest a million dollars..thats simple business...1 big customer makes for a very unstable business (which is the problem...limited rich investors). Ideal customer bases are a bunch of small customers...that way you can afford to lose some here and there. Again, this is running a business 101.

This guy is less annoying than whatshisname...Jindel or whatnot...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
What a bummer...

Tried watching the speech online, while sitting in class, but the closed captioning went down.

Now I have to go back and find a re-run.

You all are going to have me viewing it with bias, after reading this thread.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

It's Congress and its never ending spending spree.

By God, he was one of the Senators who helped grow the debt.

Yes and Yes!

Both parties share blame for the "last 8 years". Dems had control of Senate for 4 of them and the House for 2 of them. The Reps had control of the House for 6 and the Senate 4.

uspolitics.about.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Of course the ***COMBAT TROOPS*** will be out of IRAQ by august. They will probably be in combat somewhere else.

As for the "gays in the military". It's a largely untapped market when enlistment is down, yup! Either way I think anyone should be allowed to join and should be able to say and do what they like outside of active duty. Combat is not a good time to be talking about mating either way, no matter one's preference.

As for the extremely cheap attempts to sound like Daddy talking to his upset young daughter and the occasional "drive it home" stare down the camera barrel when the teleprompters gave him adlib time... Well... It was cheap and transparent.

Climate change? Obama, how about addressing the fact that we need to research the obvious celestial causes of "climate change". You can start by EXPLAINING WHY ALL THE ICE THAT COVERED THE WORLD IS GONE!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
where is ufo disclosure? you guys were absolutly positive it was coming... woops.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
One more addition.

Poly = Many
Ticks = Bloodsuckers

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Both parties share blame for the "last 8 years". Dems had control of Senate for 4 of them and the House for 2 of them. The Reps had control of the House for 6 and the Senate 4.

At some point you would have thought that Congress would have learned to say the word

NO

[edit on 27-1-2010 by jam321]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This wasn't a State of the Union address as it was a campaign speech for 2012. He even used many of the platforms he ran on in 2008 in his speech tonight.

I was waiting for someone to yell, 'You Liar" !

link   

Originally posted by AltraVision
reply to post by Nosred

He blamed Bush so many times that I lost count. Did anyone else count that? I can't wait to read tomorrow's headlines!

go back to the 80s...when Ronald Reagen did his state of the union.
"We cannot go forward before we know how we got here.." Then he unleashed unholy hell against any and all Democrats ever in existance for like 10 minutes straight...all but calling them the spawn of satan.

I found the blasts against the right to be subtle at best...however, I reckon that your probably a right wing and would have been touchy about that anyhow even if he simply stated he came to office at a rough time.

Meh.

link   
I thought it was absurd. Right when the grey alien started to hobble its way on stage, the thing just ended and it cut to the usual adverts. He even had a fedora! It looked like a yamaka on his large cranium, but still seemed like a good way to humanize them. Maybe next time

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It was the same smooth speech gift that he always has.

Reaching to the liberals that are no longer thrilled with him.

Pandering to the middle class that is sick of him.

Freeze on Govt. spending, a bone to the GOP a very bare bone.

Blah, Blah Blah. I hear a man that knows his popularity is sinking, that knows he has an ugly war on his hands with this mid term election and nothing, not one thing of substance. Is he pimping America or what?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
You all are going to have me viewing it with bias, after reading this thread.

Keep in mind, most people really wont know what to think until they are spoon fed how to think by their favorite talking head...until then, they will hold pattern on their previous notion of how they view him.

Best thing to do is listen to the speech, listen to the content, see how it sits with you, and make up your mind....THEN listen to your beck/olberman and see if your still on board with a extreme side or feel more like your in the middle of either "side"

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
personally i was not impressed... this is the same crapolla he has been spouting for over a year now and not one thing has been done except to spend like a drunken sailor (no offense navy people) ....

He made several hundred promises over the campaign and over tha past year and has broken so many...i have serious doubt as to anything he says...

I am thankful to say i did not vote for the guy... he is slick and he is a snake oil salesman in my opinion and he gives moving speeches... but then so did stalin, hitler, mao and dozens of others in history...

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
His words are meaningless unless acted on... Really if he will address the deficit I will be very pleased but he made many campaign promises and has fulfilled very few of them, why would this be any different?

Also the student loans is nonsense, this will cause tuitions to rise and the value of a college degree to decrease (which is already the case) and the government to pile on more debt. Fixing the deficit my fanny.

Nope nothings changed,and doubt anything will. More debt and Government is not the solution here, and the lack of regulation in the free market is not what caused the economic crisis. It was irresponsible Federal Reserve and Government policy that greatly influenced this crash. Maybe they should get rid of their own snakes before getting rid of the ones on wall street?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by AltraVision
reply to post by Nosred

He blamed Bush so many times that I lost count. Did anyone else count that? I can't wait to read tomorrow's headlines!

go back to the 80s...when Ronald Reagen did his state of the union.
"We cannot go forward before we know how we got here.." Then he unleashed unholy hell against any and all Democrats ever in existance for like 10 minutes straight...all but calling them the spawn of satan.

I found the blasts against the right to be subtle at best...however, I reckon that your probably a right wing and would have been touchy about that anyhow even if he simply stated he came to office at a rough time.

Meh.

Yeah, for real. His jabs were very subtle, and used humorously. Cons are seeing what they wanted to see. The speech was very conservative, by in large.

Best,
SN

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Among the many comment-worthy ramblings by the bloviator-in-charge, I found these...

1. He still talks in a manner that is clearly intended to make people think he is a Washington outsider. Sorry, but if you've been standing at the helm of the ship, commanding her as she sails for a year, you're clearly a member of the crew.

2. He's getting easier to read. There were a handfull of times (when he said "pverwhelming mountain of evidence" for example) when he completely telegraphed the fact that he was talking out of his anus. He cracked a smirk before he said that and glanced to his left, knowing that it was about to get a rise out of the Right side of the audience. He did exactly the same thing just before he announced his spending freeze wouldn't happen until 2011... he's only obtuse because he still hasn't been in the public eye long enough to become utterly transparent like a McCain or a Biden. I expect by this time next year, the average American will have little trouble reading him like an open book.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I recommend people to step outside there thinking box and view in between the lines. There are some interesting comments that were made by the president. There are also a few situations that were happening in the background.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join