It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Terror Threat Raised To Severe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I believe as I have said already that the only times these people act, is when it suits thier bizzare and unknowable agendas. I believe that there is no way a terror attack could happen without their knowing it before hand, and that they would only act to prevent such a thing, to secure people deemed important enough to protect.

Absurd. You are literally attributing omniscience to the UK security forces. That and infallibility. Are the Real IRA and al Quaeda extensions of the UK security forces? If you don't think so, your position should alter.

Security forces make mistakes. Intelligence isn't always accurate. Next time we have a Warrington-style or London July-style bombing...I've got a suggestion for you...blame the bombers.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Tell us "why" so we can help or do your job without scaremongering.

I too would like to know why, but i appreciate that they can't divulge that for two reasons:

1) It may compromise the source of the intelligence.

2) If, for example, they announced that the threat was regarding a plane routes to New York, then just about everyone with tickets, or plans to fly there would cancel. This would lead to terrorists knowing that all they need do is threaten a target and chaos is caused. Obviously they'd rather blow it up, or the terrorists would be announcing their intentions themselves to cause such chaos.

Alternatively i agree with the consensus at ATS that the 'Threat Level' is a great device for controlling public opinion; such moves indeed make later announcements of tighter controls a lot more welcome.

Whoever makes a buck out of manufacturing those new airport x-ray machines will no doubt see stocks rise along with the 'Threat Level'.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

They might make mistakes, but they have eyes on every other street in the nation, and that is not up for debate. We have more government controled cctv in this country than any other EU country , and it is said that in london you can expect to be recorded by no less than three hundred devices a day. And thats just the stuff we know of.
Its absolutely the case that the intelligence services monitor these things, and I dont mean one dude sitting about running face recognition software. Im talking people sitting at screens , looking at days weeks or months of cctv data at a sitting, recording movements, checking identities, observing every move for some sign of threat, with the facial recognition software running also , as a back up.
If you dont think they cant see you NOW your kidding yourself .

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

The Real IRA have so little support in Ireland as a whole now that any attack on either mainland UK or Ireland would be counter productive.
That's not to say that they won't try something though.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I think a lot of people mistake what the Security Service's actual remit is.

It is not to look after you and me and keep us safe. It is to safeguard the liberty of the country and ensure ongoing freedom from domestic and overseas threats.

In essense their job is to ensure that the future of Britain stays safe, no you or I or the here and now. Once ou understand this it makes their decisions easier to fathom.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
hmm interesting. I remember looking on the bbc news website last week and there was a breaking news article on how the terror defence budget was going to be severly cut back. Are they setting themselves up for something?

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Found an Artical from Dec 2009, www.timesonline.co.uk...

"Police expect Mumbai-style terror attack on City of London"

Good find and interesting read.... Mumbai stlye ha?

Well it's definately possible with the amount of Hotels we have in London.... i actually heard something which was beamed into my head that said 'bomb' & 'Hotel' the other day.... so something could well be imminent!! When i get these messages something usually happens....

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
"Raise the alert the blue."

"Are you absolutely sure sir, it does mean changing the bulb."

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceMonkeys
hmm interesting. I remember looking on the bbc news website last week and there was a breaking news article on how the terror defence budget was going to be severly cut back. Are they setting themselves up for something?

Very convenient timing. Well spotted

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
This is from the OP article:

An official from the Department of Homeland Security told Sky News the increased threat level brings the UK in line with the US in terms of airport security measures.

I live in the US and I know how people say the government uses threat levels to instill fear. Honestly, if didn't visit this site I wouldn't even know what the threat level was, ever. I would imagine this is the same for the most of the general population.

I think it's just to keep the 'General Public' on their toes.... look out for any suspicious activity and such....

I mean MI5 & MI6 must know something is on the Horizon with chatter on websites such as those Jihadist websites, phone conversations, text chat and such... there are many ways to infiltrate a conversation these days with all the available Technology...

Also wouldn't surprise me if something did happen soon with the Olympic Games coming in 2012

[edit on 23-1-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWatcher11
"Raise the alert the blue."

"Are you absolutely sure sir, it does mean changing the bulb."

haha one of the funniest moments of red dwarf

i normally get a sense about a week before something big goes down,9/11 & the 7/7 bombings come to mind but for some reason i just don't get the feeling we're going to be attacked.
they have there reasons for raising the terror level which we won't find out why for at least 2 or 3 years i wouldn't think

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticwarrior
How the Mighty tremble!

Having lived through the worst of The Troubles here in Northern Ireland I can't help but feel a sense of schadenfreude.

The British and Americans encouraged both sides here to murder and cause the public great fear.

What goes round comes round!

I agree with one other poster.... many people have died due to terrorist attacks... many kids have been left with 1 parent or no parents due to terrorist attacks... many parents have lost their kids due to terrorist attacks!!

If your kid got blown to bits would you be saying what you said?

I don't think so....

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Could it be anything to to with Tony Blair having to appear at the Iraq Inquiry next week ?
An attack while this is taking place would be a major coup for the terrorists.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by martin3030]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

If your kid got blown to bits would you be saying what you said? I don't think so....

Dude, the guy said 'Northern Ireland+ The Troubles.' Before 9/11, England and Ireland lived with terrorism for decades. Real bombs going off. People dying. Kneecaps being broken. Car bombs. People are still missing. Look at Omagh, Manchester, Birmingham, Warrington and Brighton bombings. Funnily enough...a lot of that carnage was supported by many in US politics and paid for by a lot of Americans

Guess what? We all carried on. We didn't treat everyone as a fricking terrorist (although coming through Customs with an Irish accent was a nightmare!). Since 9/11 and the UK copying anything US domestic and foreign policy dictates...we've become paranoid and overreact.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JJay55
Mumbai style means that a Jewish target, first responders headquarters, and a luxury hotel frequented by Westerners. Anyone in London want to name some of these places?
Is Scotland Yard where the UK counterterrorism headquarters exist?
What hotel has Westerners?

I reckon 'The Ritz Hotel' in Picaddilly Circus would be a prime target... not only is it situated in one of the busiest areas of London, it's also a top hotel for the Elite...

If it's to bring down the Business World it would be an attack on Canary Wharf!!

[edit on 23-1-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpenYourHead
My advice to the UK is don't buy into this whole terrorism thing like the US did. Don't let your media influence you like what happened here.

Most of us here in the UK don't friend.
This country has been the target of terrorists for decades, hence after the july 07 attacks many people just went about their normal business.

9/11 for you guys over the pond was an unknown, that last attack like that was Pearl Harbor back in the 1940's.

Fear is a powerful weapon on both sides, be they the terror groups or your own govt.

Peace.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

If your kid got blown to bits would you be saying what you said? I don't think so....

Dude, the guy said 'Northern Ireland+ The Troubles.' Before 9/11, England and Ireland lived with terrorism for decades. Real bombs going off. People dying. Kneecaps being broken. Car bombs. People are still missing. Look at Omagh, Manchester, Birmingham, Warrington and Brighton bombings. Funnily enough...a lot of that carnage was supported by many in US politics and paid for by a lot of Americans

Guess what? We all carried on. We didn't treat everyone as a fricking terrorist (although coming through Customs with an Irish accent was a nightmare!). Since 9/11 and the UK copying anything US domestic and foreign policy dictates...we've become paranoid and overreact.

Great reply. For some it only seems terrorism started after 9/11.

I'm not having a go at many of you good Americans out there.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Power_Semi

Originally posted by OpenYourHead
My advice to the UK is don't buy into this whole terrorism thing like the US did. Don't let your media influence you like what happened here.

LOL - you've got to be joking.

Our lot in the UK have got to keep it going to justify "bringing democracy" in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Don't forget we had the IRA blowing up shopping malls and killing civilians for years, and the only warnings we got were 10 minutes before the bombs went off after the IRA had phoned in a code word and location.

There's no way the security services are suddenly so good that they can predict in advance that something is going to happen, and if they had an inclining something was going to happen they wouldn't tell us anyway to keep their intelligence secure.

It's just a gentle prod to make sure no one forgets that we're all in "imminent danger" from "international terrorists".

I think you hit the nail on the head there!

While the front pages of the msm newspapers are covered with 'Threat warnings' keep an eye out for little articles tucked away inside briefly mentioning new terror laws or stealth taxes sneaking through parliment.
Misdirection I think....

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

I'm just saying that to say 'what goes around comes around' isn't a very nice attitude to have in the case of terrorism...

Sure there were lots of acts of violence back in the 70's & 80's by the IRA but i never felt threatened by the Irish but for some reason i do feel threatened by the Radical Islamists... I just don't like there way of life under Supression & depression and trying to instill their way of life over here.... i find it a big threat!! The IRA never tried to install their way of life over here... they were just making a statement!

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

True, but the Real IRA do not care - they've gained financial backing from Middle Eastern groups. Also remember the Provisional IRA never had backing from the majority of Ireland neither.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join