It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Terror Threat Raised To Severe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

UK Terror Threat Raised To Severe

news.sky.com

The terror threat level in the UK has been raised from "substantial" to "severe", meaning an attack is "highly likely".

Home Secretary Alan Johnson has sought to reassure the public, saying: "I have to emphasise the fact it does not mean an attack is imminent."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Mr Johnson said those factors include "the intent and capabilities of international terrorist groups in the UK and overseas".

He went on: "We still face a real and serious threat to the UK from international terrorism.

So, it looks like some info has been recieved or heard as the level has been raised.... one bar below critical.... must be something on the horizon... lets hope it's just a precausion and that nothing is going to go BOOOOOOOOM!!!

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I just got this level alert via MI5 aswell, Hmm makes you wonder with all the little incidents at airports around the world lately and many wondering if all the things going on right now are just "The stage being set" so to speak...

Interesting days ahead, One i do hope though goes without incident.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
America's level is currently at Elevated.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It's just because of the whole Yemen thing, that's all.

I suspect there is also a hint of "reminding" Joe Public there is still a "threat", lest we forget..

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
here is the official link to the Home Office Website -

www.homeoffice.gov.uk...

threat is "Severe" - 2nd highest it can be.

an attack is highly likely

The Times understands that the decision to raise the threat level is connected to the conference on Afghanistan taking place at Lancaster Gate, London, next Thursday

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Lets hope nothing happens.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by grantbeed]

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
This won't make me live in fear and I'm going to carry on living my life as normal.

I'm more concerned about driving on, or crossing roads.

Sorry Mr Johnson, but this just makes you less trustworthy imo.

Tell us "why" so we can help or do your job without scaremongering.

Red flag anyone?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yeah, I just heard this on MSNBC. They stated that an attack was highly possible. Whether its real, fear mongering, or TV ratings to get you to support their effort on terrorism. Only time will tell, that shouldn't be the question asked anymore. Just let it play out.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by OpenYourHead]

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I just raised my personel threat level to ORANGE

Now my ORANGE is 2 levels above PINKISH/RED

PINKISH/RED is never good and is just 4 levels below the dreaded BLACK LEVEL7

BLACK LEVEL7 is the top or worst color in my personal color threat-o-meter. It is 15 levels above, or worse than the bottom color which is LAVENDAR.

LAVENDAR is good - I feel good when I am at LAVENDAR, but of course I always end up rasing it to OFF WHITE before a LAVENDAR day is done.

What color was it again?

Dorian Soran

The Good Doctor

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I wonder if the intent is to have the citizens themselves especially sensitive to 'suspicious' activity?

It seems a shame that people can be (and even should be) prodded into a mindset of distrust and fear.

I hope they are wrong. societies become severely fatigued and strained when constantly maintained by external warnings in a state of fearful trepidation.

I think that it is not reasonable to say that a threat can be severe, yet reassuring that it does not mean imminent?

If it is not imminent, then what makes it 'severe'?

If you have enough information to categorize a threat as severe - yet also have enough to say it is not imminent - wouldn't you think they should know enough to intercede or take action to eliminate the threat?

Government-invoked fear must be the most powerful political tool with which to bludgeon the population....

Be well everyone, best of luck and keep safe.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well I'm glad I don't have to use the London underground any more! - That's the only one that got me a bit worried when I used to live up there, I guess because of the confined underground nature would greatly increase the effect of a bomb, and it's always so crowded it would be chaos...

It would be interesting to find out what information triggered this off - but we won't find out for ages and it won't be the whole story either.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
My advice to the UK is don't buy into this whole terrorism thing like the US did. Don't let your media influence you like what happened here.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm guessing they have intelligence that tells them something may well happen soon.

whether it's texts, phone calls, e-mails or even a mole within a terror cell, i'm sure to raise the level they would have some kind of firm intel.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
fear mongering BS wonder who the governments going to bomb?

Alert Level = UR FKD

Call Obama he will fix it! He is the savior OMFG

[edit on 22-1-2010 by OpTiMuS_PrImE]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenYourHead

We don't. We've been under the "threat" of terrorism for decades, it doesn't phase us. Within hours of the 2005 bombings, people were back on the buses and trains, and in typical British style were moaning about the delays caused by the other ones being blown up...

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by Maxmars

I'm guessing they have intelligence that tells them something may well happen soon.

whether it's texts, phone calls, e-mails or even a mole within a terror cell, i'm sure to raise the level they would have some kind of firm intel.

Supposedly the threats came from the internet. Intelligence stated they have been monitoring many terror organization group websites in and outside of the UK. The Increased suspicion is sparked because the UK is planning a meeting to discuss the Afghanistan and Yemen situation. Terror groups have caught wind of the planned meeting set at a later date.

Everybody is continuing to fuel the Terrorist organizations by giving them added attention. It's like poking an ant bed with a stick, pretty soon it will get out of control.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by OpenYourHead]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here's a conspiracy angle for ya...

The threat level has been raised as a financial bailout tactic for the security services...if the banks can have money thrown at them by creating an atmosphere of fear, why not other organisations like Police/MI5/MI6?

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just wanted to look at the bigger picture being there is no solid information regarding an attack.

Fed chairman Ben Bernanke and Tim Geithner appear to be on the verge of being replaced.

US Supreme Court decides to allow corporations the right to fund US elections.

Stock Market tanks...supposedly in response to likely banking regulations to be imposed by the Obama administration, and the Chinese refusal to purchase more debt.

So that is on this side of the pond...UK residents feel free to connect any dots.

Could Obama have decided to grow a spine and TPTB are sending him a message?? Or is it a media manipulation??

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
If my memory serves me correctly,a couple of years ago,we encountered a new level.Apparantly at that time we were at the severe end of severe,a tiny fraction away from imminent.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well, since this is a conspiracy site and all, I will go ahead and throw this one out there...

In 2001 the stock market started to falter (fell below 10,000 in March). Perhaps somebody knew a bubble (tech) had popped and a downturn was on its way? How to rebound from that?

Hmmm... take a look at a 10yr DJIA chart. Tell me when the market started to rebound after 9/11... Looks like March/April 2003. What happened around then? A war started, perhaps?

Okay, we hit a big downturn in 2008. We took the 'paper it over' approach. Now another downturn may be on its way... but we cannot paper that one over. It is bad enough the 'common folks' are starting to really dislike banks and bankers.

Let's look at the DJIA from this week. According to the Elliott Wave folks, a big marker was the 10,200 mark. We just broke that with this week's close.

Perhaps the next leg down is imminent and some people need a big event to blame it on? The 2001 downturn was widely attributed to 9/11 even though it was going to happen anyway.

I am just saying.. I know this is a UK alert, but if something big happens and suddenly the markets tank we all need to remember the markets were on the way down already. The timing of all this just seems too coincidental.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by nydsdan]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join