It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by prof-rabbit
What China should be doing is sending hundreds of personnel that made up the rescue teams from the Sichuan quake. They have the first hand experience and are not so reliant on technology.

Chinese rescue team arrives in Haiti

They left Beijing Wednesday night, and arrived in Haiti early Thursday morning. They've brought a team of 60, machinery, 10 tonnes of food, and a million dollars.

That's pretty damned quick, considering the flight time is in the 15 hour range.

For a moment there I thought the Chinese read ATS!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Ground is still shaking.

From EMSC
2010-01-14 12:39:04.8 mb 4.9 HAITI REGION

AHN | All Headline News | Global News

Haitians Continue To Dig For Survivors With Their Hands

January 14, 2010 9:24 a.m. EST
Ayinde O. Chase - AHN Editor

Port-au-Prince, Haiti (AHN) - Weary Haitians spent another night in darkness and uncertainty Wednesday. As the sun rose on Thursday it shed a light on despair and devastation as people resumed the battle to search for survivors of Tuesday's devastating 7.0 earthquake.

For a people who have already endured struggle and strife for centuries Tuesday's quake was a setback. Before the quake, Haiti - one of the poorest countries on the planet and the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere - was beginning to make inroads to positive recovery and economic stimulus. However, just as the quake dashed those hopes, the hope that those missing will be found alive is also beginning to slowly fade as aid is just beginning to trickle in and heavy moving equipment is virtually nowhere to be found.

Read more: www.allheadlinenews.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
US is doing a heck of a Job in Haiti, the only reason already some aid has been able to arrive is due to the effort of restoring security in the Airport, lights and communication in order for the different aid coming from around the world to be able to land.

People complain that US is no doing enough but you have no clue that before anything can be done Security has to be achieve for anybody that will be taking care of civilians in the streets.

Already somepeople has been found alive in the UN embassy when the search and rescue started this morning.

A relieve effort of the magnitute that is going to be launched in Haiti needs cordination to avoid riots and lawlesness.

Every equipment, medical care or about anything to be used for rescue efforts has to come from outside as Haiti has nothing.

Riots already started last night, the trend is going to get worst.

US will have to take over the governemnt of the country for some time to come, that means military presence in great numbers.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

White House: U.S. Special Operations Reopens Haitian Airport

WASHINGTON—U.S. special operations forces have reopened Haiti's airport and United Nations and U.S.-led teams have begun rescue efforts in the earthquake-stricken nation, according to a government situation report issued Thursday morning and obtained by The Wall Street Journal.

An 7.0-level earthquake shook the impoverished Caribbean nation Tuesday, and estimates of the dead range from tens of thousands to beyond 100,000. The U.S. government report details efforts to reach and set up relief operations in Haiti, including a broad military effort extending into next week. It did not provide casualty estimates.

President Barack Obama ordered the U.S. government to undertake a massive relief effort in Haiti

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Some reports are that the death toll will be over 100.000 or higher possibly even 150.000. They need to focus on the survivors first. Secondly, collecting the dead. As rough as it sounds they will need to dispose of the dead quickly without ceremonies to avoid the spread of disease.

Mass graves or cremations.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exactly!!!!!!!!! as we here were monitoring the efforts of the US in Haiti, from the beginning the US knew that it will be playing a major role from the beginning, before the UN will eventually takes over.

As usual the US military will have priority over security in the poorest nation in this side of world.

What many didn't know is that already US military presence was in the Island since yesterday (this was not very much advertise for security reasons) the initial job was to make sure that US personnel in the Island was found, as people many not know but some of the US personnel are actually military that has gone missing.

The present of the military has increased since last night (also has been kept very quiet for now) the US military ships with medical facilities, nuclear power and evac helicopters are already in Haiti coast .

Very soon president Obama will be announcing that US military is already in the Island.

So, like I said US is doing a heck of job to ensure the security of the Haiti people, the US and foreign personnel but also the security of his aircraft and ships in the area.

Only US can do all that.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exactly!!!!!!!!! as we here were monitoring the efforts of the US in Haiti, from the beginning the US knew that it will be playing a major role from the beginning, before the UN will eventually takes over.

As usual the US military will have priority over security in the poorest nation in this side of world.

What many didn't know is that already US military presence was in the Island since yesterday (this was not very much advertise for security reasons) the initial job was to make sure that US personnel in the Island was found, as people many not know but some of the US personnel are actually military that has gone missing.

The present of the military has increased since last night (also has been kept very quiet for now) the US military ships with medical facilities, nuclear power and evac helicopters are already in Haiti coast .

Very soon president Obama will be announcing that US military is already in the Island.

So, like I said US is doing a heck of job to ensure the security of the Haiti people, the US and foreign personnel but also the security of his aircraft and ships in the area.

Only US can do all that.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by marg6043]

wow

I swear to God , I stood up and saluted the Flag after reading that.

To hell with Haiti, The US is going to look good.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Is not that is going to look good, but remember how vulnerable US aircrafts carriers and ships including the nuclear and amphibian units will be in the coast of Haiti, that has not means of protecting the coast, The US coast guard from Puertorico were send yesterday to do just that.

Yes US has many enemies that will take advantage of something as tragic as the Haiti natural disaster to cause harm and they do not give a crap who their can hurt.

With some many foreigners coming from oversea with not security whatsoever things can go wrong.

Haiti will be taken care off.

Today I am very proud of been an American when our nation have not problems taking care of those that are less fortunates after a disaster.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I dont think there are too many threats to the US in that area.

There are a Host of countries doing what they can, US inc.

I just wonder how proud Americans will be when these people need to

be relocated .

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Reality, not for the faint of heart.

Living sleep among dead at Haiti hospitals
link
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Obama just made a statement of how US effort are going in Haiti, he report that survey team "coast guard and security teams already has done assessments on security.

US personnel injured has been evacuated and the search for those missing is on going.

The next is to restore the damage port (oils spills were seen) and road will have to been open as they are impassable now and special equipment is needed.

The Army and Marines units will be playing a major role and additional ships will be send on top of the ones already in the Island.

Brazil peace keeping units are also there to work with US military and the UN is sending more units.

Now this type of major effort to be already coordinated is just impressive.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
SOURCE

On Wednesday night the president received a comprehensive briefing from each of the agencies involved in the Haiti operation, including the State, Defense and Homeland Security departments. Officials have been scrambling to overcome significant logistical hurdles to the operation.

According to the report, distributed internally after the White House meeting, the airport at Port-au-Prince is now able to conduct round-the clock operations, after repairs to its quake-damaged control tower led by the Pentagon's Southern Command. U.S. teams have set up a reception center for disaster relief personnel now entering the country.
Quake Strikes Haiti

Discuss: What is the best way to help the recovery and relief effort?

A United Nations delegation transported by a U.S. Coast Guard C-130 plane is expected to arrive in Port-au-Prince about 9 a.m. EST Thursday to stand up UN relief efforts, according to an interagency conference call cited in the report, which was distributed across a range of U.S. agencies involved in rescue and relief efforts.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

I believe that already Puerto Rico and Guantanamo are getting ready for that, Guantanamo is ready to treat injured.

Remember about 3 million people will need relocation either in tent cities or another area.

I think things are moving very fast.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Please marg6043, i'm beggining to fell nauseous with all this "propaganda" about the U.S.

Countries all over the world are sending help, U.N. personnel were already there when everything happened, but the U.S. are the saviours?

As i said before, of course that the help of U.S. is important. Maybe it's indeed the country that's sending more help for them.

But stop with these posts, ok? Be more useful bringing information with links to sites and be a little more impartial.

Thanks.

[edit on 14/1/10 by Canslli]

Ok, the last posts were useful. Thank you.

[edit on 14/1/10 by Canslli]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
unfoundation

President Obama says the U.S. military has secured #Haiti's main airport, which can now receive relief workers.
half a minute ago from TweetDeck

BreakingNews

Pres. Obama says lossses in Haiti "nothing less than devastating." Tells Haitians, "You will not be forgotten.The world stands with you."
8 minutes ago from BreakingNews Headquarters

wirereporter US to make $115 million aid effort for #Haiti #quake relief. Finland donates about $1.8 million
less than 20 seconds ago from TweetDeck

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Canslli

Sorry my friend but this is not propaganda is the truth you like it or not, UN is not the major player in the Haiti rescue and security efforts, is the US, UN is to take over after everything is restore, they are doing everything the can to get the necessary personnel to do that, as you see Brazil peacemaker units are already in Haiti, to work along side with US military units.

UN had over 150 members missing in Haiti and thankfully the rescue efforts has found that some are still alive and the rescue efforts are on going.

Just because you dislike US like I dislike my own government corruption doesn't means we as a nation don't know how to fix problems.

That makes me very proud even when I hate the political BS going on in the US today.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Vanish

Not sure if your question has already been answered, but if not; Oxfam and Mercy Corp are both legitimate well established organizations that currently have units on the ground in Haiti. I am not sure why you feel they are not trustworthy, but I can assure you that they are legitimate and vetted.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
ABC30
82nd Airborne troops headed to #Haiti for quake aid | http://(link tracking not allowed)/56OW4k
half a minute ago from TweetDeck
Retweeted by you

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

I am so so sorry that you cannot reach your sister! I know that communication is still spotty, lines going out a lot. Unfortunately, everything I have read mentioning Jacmel, and there have been quite a few reports, notes that it is in bad shape. I will see if any of the people I am speaking with are available to give me more information. I will U2U you if I fond out any more.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Mr_Sak_Pase RT @BreakingNews: Obama formally asks ex-Pres. George W. Bush to help ex-Pres. Clinton in #Haiti; Bush says he'll do whatever is necessary ...
half a minute ago from web

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join