It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 57
<< 54  55  56   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof-rabbit

Originally posted by cjcord
Those who are freaking out and groaning over this, please do tell me what brilliant alternative plan you can come up with to rebuild this completely destroyed city?

They are not able to do it themselves, this much is obvious. There is NO WAY anything will get done when all available bodies are busy taking care of the Haitians THERE.

Spread them into different areas within the country, after all it's is their country, bring in some really big machinery and bulldoze the lot into the sea, rebuild as a sea port later.

Sure. Where will they get the infrastructure to sustain this? They do not currently have it, and all possible workforce and existing infrastructure is being used to maintain law, order, and what else...oh yeah, not letting everyone starve and spread rampant disease.

So...you want to destroy the rest of the country in the process? Sounds great!

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Update:

USGS Issues Assessment of Aftershock Hazards in Haiti
Released: 1/21/2010 5:49:20 PM
RESTON, Va.—The aftershock sequence of the magnitude-7 earthquake that struck near Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on Jan. 12, 2010, will continue for months, if not years. The frequency of events will diminish with time, but damaging earthquakes will remain a threat.

U.S. Geological Survey Director Marcia McNutt asked a team of USGS earthquake scientists to provide an evaluation of the earthquakes facing Haiti now and in the future. Here is the statement from the U.S. Geological Survey:

Earthquake Hazard and Safety in Haiti and the Caribbean Region
The magnitude-7 earthquake of January 12, 2010, near Port-au-Prince, Haiti, has generated a sharp increase in concerns about the potential for future earthquakes in Haiti and the surrounding region. These concerns extend to understanding the causes of the earthquake hazard and learning what can be done to ensure seismic safety in the future. The purpose of this statement is to convey our best judgment on these subjects.

Aftershocks: The aftershock sequence of a magnitude-7 earthquake will continue for months if not years in the affected area. The frequency of events will diminish with time, but damaging earthquakes will remain possible in the coming months. There is also a small chance of subsequent earthquakes larger than the initial shock. The sequence from the Port-au-Prince earthquake continues to be very strong and active. Based on this activity and the statistics of aftershock sequences, our estimate for aftershock activity during a 30-day period beginning January 21, 2010, is as follows:

The probability of one or more earthquakes of magnitude 7 or greater is less that 3 percent.
The probability of one or more earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater is 25 percent.
The probability of one or more earthquakes of magnitude 5 or greater is about 90 percent.
Approximately 2 to 3 aftershocks of magnitude 5 or greater are expected within this time period.
These estimates will be updated as new information becomes available.

Precautions: Any aftershock above magnitude 5.0 will be widely felt and has the potential to cause additional damage, particularly to vulnerable, already damaged structures. Anyone living in Haiti or involved in relief work there must maintain situational awareness with regard to their personal earthquake safety. They should always be aware of what action they are going to take if the ground starts to shake. Open spaces are generally safe but running through falling debris to get to an open space may be dangerous. Only qualified engineers can determine if a damaged building is safe for reoccupation. Until engineering assistance arrives, a general rule to follow is: If it does not look safe, it probably is not safe. Entry into or reoccupation of obviously damaged structures should be avoided.

Statement in its entirety

Near-term concerns

Fault slip models, preliminary radar surface deformation measurements, and examination of satellite and airborne imagery for surface rupture suggest that the segment of the Enriquillo fault to the east of the January-12 epicenter and directly adjacent to Port-au-Prince did not slip appreciably in this event. This implies that the Enriquillo fault zone near Port-au-Prince still stores sufficient strain to be released as a large, damaging earthquake during the lifetime of structures built during the reconstruction effort.

Podcast interview from the USGS CoreCast Web site (transcript will be soon available
here )

Removed autoplay audio clip

[edit on 23/2/10 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Earthquake prediction is mostly relegated to myth and ESP, but if you want a more scientific view, you can go to syzygyjob.com. Its written my a real scientist who says that when the Earth and Moon are at syzygy/perigee there's always a 2 day window before and after for trouble. That's a full eclipse at the new moon or full moon at the time of closest lunar approach. Next one will be July 11th. Haiti was 2 days before syzygy/perigee. He also says that one or two years of drought followed by a season of heavy rain or snow can cause quakes.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Sorry for the two post together, but the topics are very different. Someone suggested we just bulldoze PAP into the ocean and start over. Why not try some innovation. There are lots of new products that we might employ. Buckypaper is supposed to be as strong as steel, but much lighter and easier to work with. If your house was made of that, it probably wouldn't cause crush injuries. Another new innovation is "Bamglu" It's bamboo that processes to make it as strong as other building materials. It would also be light and easier to handle. Haiti would be a perfect place to raise and manufacture the stuff. Yes, it all takes time, but it's not going to be safe to construct buildings like they lost.
The big probem now is that no one has a viable plan. Every one is still focused on survival. I wonder how long before Haiti has the wherewithall to look past just surviving tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
The big probem now is that no one has a viable plan. Every one is still focused on survival. I wonder how long before Haiti has the wherewithall to look past just surviving tomorrow.

At least 6 months, I doubt reconstruction will be thought about for a year or so, hence my comment about pushing everything into the sea before rebuilding. The quality of building in Haiti was extremely poor, consider the icon of the presidential palace, the whole second floor collapsed, the ground floor is still supporting the two upper floors, this tends to show that while the ground floor was built to a good standard the rest was not.

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Bolivia and Costa Rica had 5.0 earthquakes today.
Also Venezuela is sitting on the biggest oil reserve in the world.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Hello.

There was a prediction of the catastrophe in Haiti.

Since 1987, there has been an apparition of the Virgin Mary in Anguera, Brazil. She has given frequent messages and predictions, which have become increasingly apocaliptic. In Her message of January 7, 2010 (i.e. 5 full days before the eartquake), She said that "The land of the mountain will be shaken, and mountains will come down in many places".

Haiti means, precisely, "land of the mountain" in Taino, the country's indigenous language (Webster's New Geographical Dictionary, 1988, p. 481 & Room, Brewer's Dictionary of Names, 1992, p. 225).

I am NOT making this up. I read this prediction precisely on the day it came out, January 7, before the earthquake. I made the connection only afterwards after googling "Haiti" and "mountain land" or "land of the mountain".

This is no coincidence. This was our Lady warning of the impending disaster. Many other predictions of Hers have become true.

More information on Our Lady of Anguera and her predictions here: www.pedroregis.com...

God bless.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
BIG OIL BEHIND HAITI QUAKE?
www.americanfreepress.net...

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
23 of February and I heard on a satellite news channel that another 7.0 magnitude earthquake has hit Haiti, so if you like to update or find out if this true please do.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
Update:

Podcast interview from the USGS CoreCast Web site (transcript will be soon available
here

[snip]

i don't feel that having auto-play clips is a good idea,
what if every poster had inserted one on the same page

..or am i missing an option to disable this somewhere?

Removed autoplay clip

[edit on 23/2/10 by masqua]
EDIT: Thanks MODS for removing the auto play clip

TY

[edit on 10/2/23 by 1kftabove]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 1kftabove

I agree! Internos, I respect you, but come on...this slows my browser down...please fix it or simply link to it.

EDIT: Thanks MODS for removing the auto play clip

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I will make you a bet that in a few years we will hear from the architects, just like the architects about 911,that there is no way those buildings could have been destroyed so easily. Just because Haiti is poor, doesn't mean that it's government buildings, hotels and hospitals were shoddily built. It may not have been haarp but something brought those buildings down, and coincidently killed UN officials. People don't like to hear the government being accused of criminal acts right and left, but we have one crazy government and we need to look at things carefully.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by m khan
I will make you a bet that in a few years we will hear from the architects, just like the architects about 911,that there is no way those buildings could have been destroyed so easily. Just because Haiti is poor, doesn't mean that it's government buildings, hotels and hospitals were shoddily built. It may not have been haarp but something brought those buildings down, and coincidently killed UN officials. People don't like to hear the government being accused of criminal acts right and left, but we have one crazy government and we need to look at things carefully.

It was an earthquake. I hope you are joking, because this is no 9/11 conspiracy...

[edit on 24-2-2010 by Phlynx]

top topics

<< 54  55  56   >>

join