It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 42
<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
unictunis

#UN envoy Bill Clinton hopeful for Haitian recovery after devastating quake http://(link tracking not allowed)/8oqDml half a minute ago from web

RodrigoBNO - 5:29 p.m.
RT @stevebruskCNN: one military aircraft, 10 civilian planes circling in holding pattern waiting to get into Port-au-Prince

wileypost1 - 5:29 p.m.
RT @vhernandezcnn: RT @stevebruskCNN: FAA says flights into Port-au-Prince on hold because ramp space is full and there is no fuel

BreakingNews

Update: U.N. says 36 confirmed dead among U.N. Haiti mission due to earthquake, many more still missing 3 minutes ago from BreakingNews Headquarters

[edit on 14-1-2010 by infinite]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Just updated on CNN:

All US flights to Haiti cancelled for the moment due to no more room at the airport. 11 aircraft circling the airport right now with no room to land.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Yes is sad that with only one airport the incredible amount of aircraft trying to land is too much for the small airport to handle.

Many of the airplanes can not get fuel because the airport has none.

I wonder if they will be diverting the airplanes to Santo Domingo, or Puerto Rico that has a big airport for fuel.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
sodadigital RT @BreakingNews Credit card companies making big bucks off #Haiti donations - Huffington Post half a minute ago from twidroid

wirereporter

Red Cross says over 5,000 names registered on special site for #Haitians missing loved ones after #quake: http://(link tracking not allowed)/5905VM 4 minutes ago from web Retweeted by PoliticalJones

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Coast of Haiti getting private ships bringing food and medical aid but no way to loading them into the port as the port is completely destroy, the US amphibian unit were able to get closes to the port and are looking for alternatives on how to create a landing area for the aid.

The help is there but is so hard to get into the people due to the severe destruction, even the Helicopters can not even do drops if needed because the problem with fuel as they required plenty.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
RemiG14 Wow just saw that the DR has armed troops blocking the border from #Haiti dammmm that sux half a minute ago from TweetDeck

(I'm talking to this user now. Expect an update from me)

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The military needs to be given charge of this.

They are trained and equipped for just such conditions. I see this as not much different as entering enemy territory after smashing their ability to resist: landing zones must be created, new airfield built, debris cleared, roads created, field hospitals set up, massive civilian casualties treated, etc.

Time to get some creative payback on our military investment. It's actually good for more than destructive purposes.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Hate to say it but Dominican Republic is smart to close the borders.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
TastyKeish

RT @Louisoxfam: Sad news. Official statement from the loss I mentioned before: Oxfam staff member killed in Haiti quake post.ly... less than 20 seconds ago from UberTwitter

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Actually the US southern command is in charge and for what I see they are trying to deal with the problem as fast as they can, but darn the destruction is just incredible.

BTW I agree that Santo Domingo will have to close their borders as they are not a very rich nation either, they are no as bad as Haiti but they are by no means well off

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

The help is there but is so hard to get into the people due to the severe destruction, even the Helicopters can not even do drops if needed because the problem with fuel as they required plenty.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by marg6043]

It looks like the fuel problem for the helicopters may only be temporary.

8:25 p.m. EST: We've heard from CBS News correspondent Kimberly Dozier at the Pentagon that the USS Higgins -- a guided-missile destroyer with a helicopter flight deck that could be used for refueling -- will arrive Haiti on Thursday morning. The carrier USS Vinson with five helicopters on board, plus up to eight that may be added en route, is due to arrive Friday morning.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

I am glad to hear that, first they will be stopping in PR to collect the helicopters, I new about that yesterday but I didn't know that they are the ones to provide with fueling.

Still the 72 hour window of survival rate is closing things will start going down the hill after that

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
BreakingNews

Update: U.S. sending up to 3,500 troops from Army's 82nd Airbourne to #Haiti; first 100 to arrive today, official says - Reuters

tehranweekly

RT @WSJ: Senators propose additional tax break for #Haiti donations. Latest updates on the earthquake: on.wsj.com... less than a minute ago from TweetDeck Retweeted by you

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Brazilian military died in Haiti rises to 14

BRASILIA, – The number of Brazilian soldiers who died as a result of the earthquake that hit Port au Prince, Haiti’s capital, on Tuesday rose to 14, according to a statement released Thursday by Brazil’s Ministry of Defense.

Four officers remain unaccounted for, and 14 were injured — two will be returned to Brazil and another two have been hospitalized in the Dominican Republic, neighboring Haiti, the statement added.

Brazilian peacekeepers check the damage to the U.N. headquarters after an earthquake in Port-au-Prince January 13, 2010 (Reuters)

The Brazilian government on Thursday declared official mourning across the country for three days, starting on Wednesday, for victims of the earthquake that destroyed part of Haiti.

Among the 1,310 Brazilians living in Haiti, most are military personnel serving as the United Nations peacekeepers.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Icelandic Team just pulled out two women at the Caribbean Market in Port au Prince ,aged around 25-30, not seriously injured.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The US coast guard now patrolling Haiti to help with security for the US ships in the coast that will be providing medical care and aid from their ships as evacuation will start of the injured.

It takes so much darn time to set all this things that it become just frustrating to watch the news of the suffering and dying.

Time is running out!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Rogue AV exploiting Haiti earthquake
Published: 2010-01-14,
Last Updated: 2010-01-14 18:45:02 UTC
by Bojan Zdrnja (Version: 1)
0 comment(s)
Just when you think they couldn't possibly go any lower ... The bad guys behind the Rogue AV scam (see my old diary at isc.sans.org... about Rogue AV) are heavily using SEO techniques to make links to their sites appear high on search engines. For example, when using Google to search for "haiti earthquake donation" top 6 hits (!) lead to compromised web sites which in turn check the referrer (they verify if you are coming from a search engine) and, if that is true, redirect you to another web site.

At the moment they are redirecting to scan-now24.com which appears to be taken down.
As posted on numerous places yesterday – if you plan on donating be very careful about sites you visit.

--
Bojan
INFIGO IS

isc.sans.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
weheartdenver BreakingNews: 35 bodies found in rubble of school in Jacmel, #Haiti - Radio Metropole

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Originally posted by GoFigure52
Could this quake be man made...Is there reason for the US to go into Haiti. Do we need to flank Cuba before something happens.

The HAARP program can easily pulse large blast anywhere in the world.

That is just hilarious, because right not there is a burly Cuban with an AK flanking me. As I posted yesterday, our Mass Casualty Victim ID Team flew into PAP. We had to set up at the airport because the road out of the airport was completely blocked by people who saw the airport as their only way out. We couldn't bring portable facilities for space reasons. The Chinese Team that came in on Air China from Vancouver offered one of their inflatables and the Cuban Air Force who flew in 70 physicians, powered our "morgue" by cabling from their Ilyushin's APU. Because we did bring food and water, one of the Cubans volunteered to provide security for us. We trade burgers for cigars. Of course we call him Fidel.
And believe me not much is hilarios. After 24 hours of assessing preliminary causes of death and drawing fluids for DNA and doing fingerprints, I totally and completel lost it. The young grad student who was assisting put her hand on my shoulder and said, "Doc, do you realize you're talking to the bodies?" Of course I realized it. Then they brought another little girl in and I lost it. "What killed you, mes infant? Who are you? I won't hurt you." With no end in sight, I had to take a break. Thankfully our G-II has a sat modem so I can communicate. And try to sleep for a couple of hours. And I have to read what that AH Pat Robertson said. He couldn't even wait until babies stopped dying before he tried to solicit donations for himself. If I believed in prayer I would pray for him to quickly follow Oral Roberts.
Oh, and to supremely impatient Aggie Man, Get off your butt and get down here and help instead of bitching about how slow we are. I put my hands inside 46 dead men, women and infants yesterday and today and I could use some help. And bring some good Kentucky Bourbon with you, not that rotgut Tennessee junk we feed to the pigs.

top topics

<< 39  40  41    43  44  45 >>

join