It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 7.0 - HAITI REGION

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by elfie
Apparently two different tectonic plates meet under Port-Au-Prince. The Caribbean plate's fault line causes slip-strike movement and the the North American plate's fault line causes subduction.

This page has a good image of how the plates meet up:

www.ugr.es...

[edit on 13-1-2010 by elfie]

Correction if I may.

Most of Haiti lies on the Gonave microplate, the microplate is sliver of the earth's crust (in geological terms) between the North American plate to the north and the Caribbean plate to the south.

Here is a picture of the area.

www.earthbyte.org...

For those interested there is a paper here on the region and the tectonics involved. I am sorry it's a bit "dry" and technical but it does give a very good synopsis of the area.

www.earthbyte.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I'm amazed that North Korea, Iran, Russia and Syria haven't sen any aid. They are normally such giving countries.

[edit on 14-1-2010 by whoshotJR]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

Thank you so much for the corrected information & map you posted (above). I had gotten the information from a newscast that didn't go into as much detail.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
New video from CNN

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I just heard on our news that Australia is NOT sending rescue workers, instead have pledged $10 Million. Um... Why the hell can't they do both? I'm sure there are many in Australia willing to jump on a plane asap to help in rescue relief!

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Video not working, can you try again?

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it is still on topic to the conversation to offer this update (I am still back towards the beginning of the thread), but I posted earlier that I was worried about my sister-in-law who is in Jacmel currently and that we had been looking for information from that town.

There is not a corner of the internet that I haven't searched, a pictured tagged with Jacmel that I haven't seen, or a scrap of a lead that I haven't chased since I first heard about this Tuesday afternoon. All with having been awake since early Tuesday morning with only a very light 2-ish hour nap in this whole almost 2 days of being awake. So, please forgive me if I am rambly and kinda short on making sense. Sleep is next on my list now that we have gotten a little bit of info.

I just wanted to let the people who were being so helpful with updates, links, and info know that we finally just sort of got an update. My mother-in-law called to let us know that a friend of my sister's had gotten an email, but the friend didn't know who it was from. The email said that they thought that my sister was okay, but not confirmed and that one of her best friends, Flo, the director of FOSAJ, was trapped in the "Peace of Mind" hotel in Jacmel. That was it. No other info and we still can't confirm it. We haven't heard from my sister yet, so hopefully the email sender was correct and she is okay.

I don't know if it is at all relevant, but this page explains why my sister-in-law was in Haiti. Haitian and American Artist Exchange

Thank you SO MUCH for all of the information and updates that were in this thread. They gave me some leads to chase that led to lots of helpful information.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Video not working, can you try again?

Here you go

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Was this already posted?

Aerial view of quake in Haiti capital Port-au-Prince

Peace

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I need help about something and i dont know is this right place to ask.

If you can say what is about Oxfam GB and Mercy Corp...they are collecting money for Haiti, and i dont trust them, i dont know why...is there anything i should know about them?

Didnt read all the posts...but i think that this earthquake is not coincidence and im sorry for all that people

[edit on 14-1-2010 by Vanish]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
USGS.GOV
Another earthquake just happened in Haiti about 2 hours ago. I had just posted my update and then very shortly after (before making it to bed) I saw an update on one of the Jacmel twitter feeds that I am watching from the USGS site about the new earthquake. It was a 4.7 and I don't know if it is just another aftershock or a completely new earthquake.

This is killing me because Jacmel is where my sister and her friends are and I am already not getting any info that I can confirm. This is just more to worry about. I think it is good that I am so tired and practically a zombie. This is more than I could handle if I were fully awake and alert.

Please keep my sister and her friends in your thoughts.
Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
TastyKeish
RT @RAMhaiti: the hospital is putting bodies out on the street.decomposition.we need portable morgues.generators.food.help.evacuation
7 minutes ago from UberTwitter

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
# Haitifeed 150 plus UN unaccounted for ! From CNN #Haiti
about 5 hours ago from Tweetie
Retweeted by RAMhaiti and 5 others

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Last two updates from USGS

MAP 4.5 2010/01/14 10:32:30 18.480 -72.611 10.0 HAITI REGION
MAP 4.7 2010/01/14 08:15:42 18.330 -72.765 10.0 HAITI REGION

And from EMSC

2010-01-14 10:32:30.9 mb 4.3 HAITI REGION
2010-01-14 08:15:40.7 mb 4.6 HAITI REGION

Note the differences in magnitude are due to different seismic stations.

EMSC website is here.
www.emsc-csem.org...

[edit on 14-1-2010 by prof-rabbit]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glencairn
USGS.GOV
Another earthquake just happened in Haiti about 2 hours ago. I had just posted my update and then very shortly after (before making it to bed) I saw an update on one of the Jacmel twitter feeds that I am watching from the USGS site about the new earthquake. It was a 4.7 and I don't know if it is just another aftershock or a completely new earthquake.

This is killing me because Jacmel is where my sister and her friends are and I am already not getting any info that I can confirm. This is just more to worry about. I think it is good that I am so tired and practically a zombie. This is more than I could handle if I were fully awake and alert.

Take care,
Cindi

Some details here

9:54 p.m. -- The people of Jacmel, Haiti, are lining the streets, setting tires on fire to light up a town that has been reduced to rubble in many parts and is without power. The flames are all that illuminate what remains of this town on the southern coast of Haiti, about 25 miles from the capital Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
edition.cnn.com...

More here
edition.cnn.com...

And here.

By Chris Cowperthwaite, NBC17, 18 hours, 31 minutes ago
Updated: Jan. 13 2:44 pm
ShareThis
Tweet This! mync.com...
CARY, N.C. -

A Cary-based group is already in the thick of relief efforts in Haiti.

Joy in Hope runs two orphanages in the town of Jacmel, on the southern coast of the earthquake-ravaged island.

"Our first response was to make sure our two missionary families and their kids were fine and they were accounted for, which they are," said director Rick Smith. "After that point in time, we could then push our efforts to relief."
source
wake.mync.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I am not a HAARP fan. I don't think we can so such things and see not advantage in despoiling Haiti. I suppose there are miriad reasons that could be spun, but I don't believe them.
I do think that some people are "eartquake sensitive" Some that live in CA have learned that a certian type of headache precedes tremors and are quite good at forcasting them.
I am most likely to believe in the ability of animals to sense quakes. You may want to read "When the Snakes Awake." It also explores the electrical angle that you mentioned. China uses unusual animal behaviour as a harbenger of impending quake activity.
I don't the the cold snap was involved in this.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof-rabbit
What China should be doing is sending hundreds of personnel that made up the rescue teams from the Sichuan quake. They have the first hand experience and are not so reliant on technology.

Chinese rescue team arrives in Haiti

They left Beijing Wednesday night, and arrived in Haiti early Thursday morning. They've brought a team of 60, machinery, 10 tonnes of food, and a million dollars.

That's pretty damned quick, considering the flight time is in the 15 hour range.

The most important thing right now is to get people on the ground searching for survivors, and finding places where survivors can go. Large amounts of cash aren't really useful at this point - which is why we aren't seeing really big cheques being written yet.

Rest assured, they will come. The UN peacekeeping missions in Haiti, along with the staggering presence of NGOs and Government agencies providing direct and indirect assistance BEFORE this quake happened should be an indicator of what's to come.

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glencairn
Take care,
Cindi

I saw the names on the link of the Haitian & American Artist Exchange, and i'll look on the internet to see if i can find any of them.

If i find anything i'll let you know.

I think you already saw this and i don't know if it helps, but this is a tweet from about 24 minutes ago:

@alexpolotsky alex. he (Flo) is trapped in the "peace of mind" hotel in jacmel. talked to his parents last night. sue frame is okay 23 minutes ago

Here is the link: twitter.com...

[edit on 14/1/10 by Canslli]

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Excellent sentiments that everyone should abide by at this moment in time ... 'we really are all the same under the skin'.

Woody

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
mightygoose RT @BreakingNews: Update: U.S. sending up to 3,500 troops from Army's 82nd Airbourne to #Haiti; first 100 to arrive today, official says ...
less than 20 seconds ago from web

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join