It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to live anywhere near a creature like that. Spiders and me don't mix and i'll keep it that way
peace and love to all

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Flying Kiwi

Good call, but nope. Camel spiders arent actually spiders.

If you ask DaMod, Im sure he would know exactly what they are.
But I know what youre talking about, they are creepy.

Welcome to ATS friend!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Shotgun!

My only response to that abomination! SHOTGUN!

I believe in God...But sometimes I have to question why the f@#% He/She/It would create such a thing!

Thankfully its currently -40 outside! But I'm still gonna look under the bed!
Barrel first!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Helmkat

Well most people seem to think that spiders will attack and bite without any provocation. In fact spiders instinctively bite to eat, and rarely bite to defend themselves.

I'm sure you will notice the second you startle a spider it does nothing but run the hell away from you. Even if it is on your skin. (probably for good reason lol)

Jumping spiders (Family Salticidae) are in a whole league of their own. How could you not love a jumping spider?

Phidippus Apacheanus

I love how at the end it seems like he doesn't want to leave lol. Either way, beautiful spider.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
im jsut glad they cant fly.

link   
...very informative thread - now i know who i wont invite down for the annual tarantula migration, lmao...

link   
With legs like that, you would be worried they were going to pick YOU up and put you outside!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I dunno whats scarier...that thing...or the face-hugger from Aliens!

The spider is REAL...so I guess its scarier. Of course the face-hugger I always thought kinda looked like a vagina with legs! Which is rather frightening in itself!

No offense intended, ladies! Just the facts, ma'am!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Prof. Skrewloose

Off topic, but yes. It DOES look like lady parts.

These spiders are very real.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flying Kiwi
Hey, Ats family this is my first post and i think its fitting because i love spiders (not that id get too close to this monster ). I have posted a image in which most of us may have seen before while searching for strange things on youtube. They call them camel spiders found in Iraq. I didn't believe this was true until this post popped up. Is this the same creature? Maybe some serviceman/woman in Iraq reading this thread has witness these spiders before
thetorchonline.com...

I will answer your question as InertiaZero sort of requested.

Camel spiders are solifugaes. They are neither spiders nor scorpions. (although again more closely related to scorpions.) They contain features of both spiders and scorpions which includes both a separation between the abdomen and cephalothorax which is inherent of spiders and a segmented abdomen which is inherent in scorpions. You may notice that it looks like they have fangs. They are actually pincers.

Despite what people will try to tell you, they are not poisonous. I'm sure you have seen pictures of camel spider bites. The pictures floating around the net are usually from different spiders hoaxed as camel spider bite. If someone dies because of a camel spider bite it is only because it got infected.

Still they are very aggressive, and I wouldn't get too close! The bite may not kill you, but it will hurt!

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DaMod]

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Raverous

Hobo spiders of the Pacifc NW are more dangerous. For a really wicked looking spider, check the Puerto Rican Whip Spider ltmtnele.tripod.com... also called the guaba. It is not strictly a spider but it sure looks like one. They are nocturnal and hard to find but suddenly encountering one 12-24" across would cause some excitement, especially if you knew how they could jump.
There is also a story about a valley filled with hand sized spiders on giant webs in the Puerto Rican rainforest. Purportedly, a few Army Rangers on a training evolution ran into them. This may have been a 'suburban' legend tall tale at the time [1969] but the frightening part of the story was that it was a night march. My buddy told me that he had his 16 out in front of him like a blind man's cane when it got hung up. He blinked on his red light to see what it was and it was a piece of web. A big spider was attacking the front sight. He claims to hold the record for the backwards leap and sprint event.
They stayed a safe distance away for a sleepless night and saw the small valley the next morning. It was filled with webs and spiders. Dead birds were in the webs. They thought about lighting it off but reconsidered at the thought of angry flaming spiders raining down on them. It was easier to walk a few extra miles than go through. Good choice.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
OP, thanks for the article. A very impressive new species. In the last 3 years more than 100.000 new species have been discovered. By far the majority of living species is yet unknown to scientists. The number of taxonomists who study obscure taxa is relatively small, the number of known and unknown species is gigantic.

buddhasystem
It must be good roasted, with some Tabasco sauce and fries on the side.

Faiol
humm this would be good protein guys

Ah, I see we have gourmands, who practices arachnophagy. You are not alone. Others have shared your preferences.

The French author Reaumur reports a certain young lady who ate all the spiders she could find. There is also written records suggesting that one Maria Schurrman was very fond of them, claiming her birth in the sun sign of Scorpio as justification for her habit. In addition to this the astronomer Lalande is also known to have enjoyed them. However it is mostly women who are recorded as having such epicurean tastes and W. S. Bristowe, author of The World of Spiders reports that although he had already tried eating cooked tarantulas he was surprised by a lady called Miss Jennifer Walker who assured him common British spiders were delicious eaten raw. She ate one after he had turned down the suggestion and he then followed suit. His report continues to tell us that during the after noon they sampled 5 different species.

hobo-spider.com...

Reptilian Ph.D I would like to mate with this spider? Perhaps some aliens can assist me in differentiating my genetic bloodline to include spinning of webs and eight eye balls?

I see you are like buddhasystem and Faiol. You are attracted to arachnids. But the attraction is expressed in a somewhat different manner. Unfortunately I must inform you, that eight eyes and the ability to spin a web may not be sufficient. You must also develop some performance skills. Here is a poor male. He is from the family of jumping spiders, which was already admired by DaMod. This specimen tries to impress a female jumping spider. You must also listen to the sound he produces to accentuate his dancing skills.

Hilarious jumping spider mating behaviour -turn up your volume!

Harvestmen are also called daddy long legs and are a mite. Cellar spiders are long legged web weavers. There is really no conversation here as they are two totally different worlds of arachnids. -DaMod

I am sorry, but I must correct you. Harvestmen are no mites. They form the order named Opiliones. Mites belong to a different taxonomic group in the class of Arachnida.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
No spider looks like lady parts. Geez, what is up with that ?
The Camel spider looks like a nightmare ! If I came into contact with one of those-I"d probably die of fear ! It is truly the scariest looking spider I have ever seen.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic

I don't understand what people have against spiders, they are the ones that keep the bloody bed bugs away.

And that's exactly why the spiders in my house have a pact. I don't get bitten by mosquitoes and they live. Sounds weird but it actually works.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

I'm sorry, and you are absolutely correct. What I should have said is more closely related to mites (and ticks actually). They are not mites, but they are preyed on by mites

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ozzy765

Not a spider. Read the post

2nd line

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Thanks for clearing that up for me still creepy all the same

yay second post!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

I'll never make it. Look at the way it shakes its booty. Its moving its arms like its reading from a music score.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
ewwwwww

that's just eww

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I'm just as dumb.

I did lift my feet first, and I'll check (from a distance) under my bed later.

I wonder if Israeli will set this region aside like the Americans did for the spotted owl to protect it's habitat and existence.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by [davinci]]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join