It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Wooooooooooo

Thanks for sharing that, I think - scary.

Hope he/she doesn't hitch a ride over here and settle in one of our warmer states.

We have wolf spiders and they get pretty big around where I'm at.

Came across a really big wolf spider in my bathtub once, screamed at the top of my lungs for my husband to come and kill it, and once I yelled the poor thing stopped, froze and then started shaking, he/she knew it's little life was almost over.

Spiders hear and when they get scared, they shake just like us, honest to god the thing was shaking.

So, that must mean, possibly, they are more aware than we realize.

Oh and yes, I bet they can jump, really jump.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

I was gardening and watched a pretty good size wolf spider crawl under and into / through the tiny space between our downstairs window ledge - amazingly they can scrunch into really small spaces.

I know why I fear spiders, they are the perfect hunter. No remorse, just hungry and if they were just a little bit bigger (like in prehistoric times) humanity wouldn't have a chance.

Very fast, graceful and the perfect predator.

Amazing and beautiful creatures.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

WTF, dude!!!

A-Jay before you go all menstral, the post was going for humor
and at the same time showing members there is actually another way you could look at this. I messed up by not watching the vid all the way through before I posted it.
Ease up, you want me to send you some chocolates?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

Wolf spiders are great. I used to have one loose in my bedroom. Never caused me no trouble and kept the room free of real pests. I have always been pretty comfortable with spiders, I like the way they hunt, I like the way they move, and I like the feel of spider silk.
Obviously the ones with the killer bites, well they are pretty pants wettingly scary from a mortal point of veiw, but like many things in nature, thier terror hides thier beauty!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Thanks for making me feel crawly everyone!!

But since I'm here, I suppose I'll give my last spider incident to everyone... I was sitting in my room with my laptop, and was typing away, when out of nowhere, this mass drops into my view...

Unsure of what I was seeing (it was about 2 inches in front of my eyes), I back up, saw what it was, and damn near crapped myself. Quickly, I moved my laptop over to my right, but not before the little bugger landed on my lap and ran behind me. I've never moved faster than I did at that point. I bolted up from my bed, and ran to grab a flyswatter, and proceeded to hunt him. 10 minutes later, I had him dead, and flushed.

Now, bear in mind, I live in the NW USA, where we have the Hobo Spider, which can do TERRIBLE things to a person. So, when I see a spider that even remotely looks like the hobo, I damn near lose it.

Also, when I was about 10, I almost stepped on a Black Widow in my kitchen in AR...

I LOVE spiders, so long as they stay away from my bed!!

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Coupled with this article, I think you Borg have just made me extremely scared this morning. I looked at the picture of the person's thumb first and now I feel to chicken to look at the spider picture
. Now I'm looking all around my ceiling again making sure their is nothing up there.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

I do that every few minutes here for the VERY SAME reason!!

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Damn! I hate spiders! I'm glad we dont have any big ones in Norway. I'm actually a bit afraid to go to lets say.. Australia or the U.S because of all the bugs.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CarlFS

Not to creep ya out, but you've got quite a few there in Norway... Looks like most of them are of the non-harmful variety though. Great bug catchers, those things!!

Sleep tight!

TheBorg

[edit on 12-1-2010 by TheBorg]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TheBorg

Yeah but neither of them are harmful to humans. The biggest spider we have is no larger than my thumb.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
reply to post by Hack28

I would cry Hack, I would frickin' cry my eyes out.

The I would throw whatever part of clothing on it I could spare without breaking any laws, and RUN.

But I bet they jump...oh they jump alright...

[edit on 11-1-2010 by InertiaZero]

I am with you... I would cry... And OH YOU BET THEY JUMP... can you imagine... (shiver) NO NO don't imagine..I just did, made me shiver.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
First of all, I hate spiders. I have always had an inherent fear of them, not because I fear being bitten (I have been), but because they are so terrifying. Look at that bastard!

I agree spiders are widely misunderstood. I respect them as a very worthy adversary, hunter, predator, etc. They deserve the fear that they have accumulated. But just don't let one touch me. I hate the way the run so fast with all eight legs just writhing... -shiver-

Anyway, good post about this new species.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Its a big spider alright, but I saw a meaner, bigger one in the movie "Jason and the Argonauts". Jason of course defeated the spider, but it was really big and ugly and squeeled like a pig when stabbed. Let's hope they dont come to America because they would become instinct from all the good old boys wanting to have some deep fried spider on a stick.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
I LOVE spiders, so long as they stay away from my bed!!
TheBorg

You don't assimilate spiders? I thought all Borgs did!!
Hmmm...You're probably a vegetarian Borg!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaxBlack
deep fried spider on a stick.

yuck! delicacy in hell!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Thanks for the video, it was fun to watch and it certainly looked like the little spider certainly wanted to go back for another ride on the hand. There is something -different- about jumping spiders, almost like you can see their minds at work. I do know that they have very good vision and will respond to Humans who mimic their visual signals.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This thread completely creeped me out! *shudder*

I never minded spiders until I had a run-in with a black widow as a teenager. I was at Girl Scout camp sleeping in a platform tent. We were warned that spiders liked to live below the platforms, so be sure to check shoes before putting them on. Well, I checked my shoes every day, but one of those spiders decided to crawl INTO MY SLEEPING bag during the day. When I climbed in there at night, it bit me on the upper thigh. OK, it was basically on my butt. Laying there on my stomach in the infirmary with my naked butt exposed as the nurse, scout mother, and my tent-mates discussed my bite is still one of the most humiliating experiences of my life. I quit Scouts after being dubbed "spidergirl" soon after.

And let me tell you, that bite hurt like you wouldn't believe. It's up there with the most painful things I've ever been through, which include natural childbirth, the excision of the melanoma on my lower back, and the complete dislocation of my right baby toe. Scary, scary spiders...

Why did I even read this thread? I'll have nightmares for weeks!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The Australian golden silk orb-weaver (Nephila edulis) has been observed on windy, rainy days dismantling the lower part of its web to allow strong wind to flow through a large opening in the web without breaking it. Golden Orb Weavers have also been seen and photographed eating small birds captured in their webs in Queensland, Australia
end quote

A unique cloth woven from golden silk of over 1 million golden orb female spiders is on exhibit in the American Museum of Natural History

www.amnh.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
it may look creepy, but imagine the size of insects millions of years ago.

there were centipedes were as long as an average humans height. there were bugs that were the size of the average human head.

this little bug right there, probably feasts on scorpions, and other various critters in the desert. they keep the bugs away from you, and they do a pretty good job at that.

you wouldn't be crying about this one if the critters of yesterday were roaming around today. you'd be asking this spidey for help.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'm screaming already lol
I don't mind spiders but that one makes me shudder just as much as the pic of that huge spider in the hole looking at the camera

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join