It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wow.
I would not like that in my bath

Frankly, that could probably get OUT of the bath just by stepping.

I think I'd cry if I saw one of those.

It is a beauty though, even if I am terrified by them they're also strangely fascinating...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I hate spiders but dont kill them.. i just do the old glass over, paper under trick and throw them out but.....

How the hell do you deal with that mamma??

I used to handle spiders when i was young and just literally put them out, until one day i felt something on my head and when i looked up i saw a spiders web floating above me after thinking nothing of it i brushed the top of my head and could swear i felt something.... i checked where i thought (whatever it was) it fell and low and behold a huge house spider like nothing ive ever seen lying on my bed covers. The thing that freaked me the most was i started to think it actually meant to land on my head like it could think and a tactically attack me??

Bare in mind i live in england so it wasnt actually that big but i still get shivers thinking about it, though that fear doesnt make me kill them!!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It certainly is interesting to me, in a social experiment sort of way, that everyone is posting their personal accounts of spider dealings.

I figured everyone would debate the idea that it is being environmentally evicted.

The story definitely has me scanning the net for stories about other species that we have just discovered, but are endangered at the same time. I guess everything is a cycle.

Anyhow, hearing everyone's stories has been great

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

I was just about to post a Goliath bird eater link when I saw your post...6" is pretty normal for a tarantula. I am not a spider fan. I prefer snakes over spiders (as far as your typical scary animals go), but I think the way a spider works is truly fascinating.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Should we morn if this speices dissapears from the Earth forever??

Does it's passing diminish me as a person??

Will the breath it exhales as it dies create a hurricane that wipes out all of FL??

I think it's worth the risk!!

Spiders make me scream and swat at the same time. I once had a tarantula in my bathtub - grease spot! Housekeepers in the corner - grease spot! No aracnids allowed in my place! The worst are the ones that build huge webs in the yard and then you walk into it and wonder where the little that made it is!

My son wants a trantula- I told him, "grease spot!" He said, "but they're friendly." I told him, "easy grease spot!" He bought a 9' python. No legs is better than 8!

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer84
I hate spiders but dont kill them.. i just do the old glass over, paper under trick and throw them out but.....

How the hell do you deal with that mamma??

instead of a Glass, you use a bucket, and instead of paper, you use a piece of plywood..

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

Yup, and the funny part is that tarantula has no possibility of killing your son. That python could grow up and instinctively strangle him to death. Especially 9' long!!

He is right btw. They are friendly and won't bite as long is it is the right type (I would recommend a P. Rosea as they are the most docile of tarantulas). They know your son isn't food.

The snake however will one day take a good look at your son's hand and think of it as a tasty morsel, then strike. It will probably rip out a nice portion of flesh due to its two rows of long razor sharp teeth.

This is an image of a python bite: (Warning: View Discretion is Advised)

image06.webshots.com...[/img]]Link to Image

The tarantula, would leave a couple of pin pricks and itch for a little bit.

So basically because you don't like spiders you picked for your son the more dangerous of two pets by a ton.

You traded legs for a more effective killing machine (that by the way due to its 9 foot size could easily kill a full grown man)

[edit on 12-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

You need to log into the site to see the photo. My son isn't a little guy. He's 40 and when the python got to around 11' he got rid of it. I was listening to the radio. A rose tranatula blew a puff of hair at the person cleaning it's terrarium and the lodged in the fellows eye. He had to have them removed by a Dr. Happy the snake is history and still killing spiders, sorry, just personal preference.

[edit on 1/12/2010 by zachi]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
looks like the dinner plate sized ones we get here all the time, only bigger.

this is not helping my spider issues...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
half a foot? my spider (fang's) ( in my avatar ) is a young female, her legs extend to 5 inches easily, and her species ( chilean rose ) is known to have females with 6-7 inch legs, not sure about the males, but as far as i know, in the tarantula family (and that pic looks like it's from the tarantula family) half a foot long legs (6inches) is not only quite common, but actually kinda small.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
I feel sick just looking at that thing, not gonna be able to sleep now!

How can anyone like these things?

I often wonder this about the human species. Especially after a trip to Walmart.

People of Walmart
www.peopleofwalmart.com...

[edit on 12/1/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
My son wants a trantula- I told him, "grease spot!" He said, "but they're friendly." I told him, "easy grease spot!" He bought a 9' python. No legs is better than 8!

I love reptiles, spiders I can live with but not in the same room. Outside is where they belong. or as you said "grease spot!"

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

Nonvenemous anthropod. Maybe a tick bite. Lymes Disease, Malaria, didn't they decide fleas carry something like ebola? I had a friend and her son had a lot of allergies. He nearly died of alergic reation - first to the bite and secondly to the meds for the infection. He was in the hospital for a week. BTW, they gave him vinamin B shots so he tasted bad to bugs and they wouldn't bit him. Eat more B!

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Wow, I love spiders and this one is a beauty. Its legs are freakishly long. I can just imagine running and tripping on the ground, just to look back at this thing sprinting toward my face. I remember seeing some images of cave spiders that looked like giant daddy long legs. It is sad how their homes are dissapearing.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

That's tiny, you should see both of my very old Chilean rose hairs. (Grammostola rosea)

Actually one of them just molted like 3 days ago. Last time she molted she almost doubled in size so I can't wait till I can actually take a look.

The males are pretty well the same size as the females (comparative to age) only more slender. They don't get as big however because they don't live nearly as long.

[edit on 13-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by DaMod

You need to log into the site to see the photo. My son isn't a little guy. He's 40 and when the python got to around 11' he got rid of it. I was listening to the radio. A rose tranatula blew a puff of hair at the person cleaning it's terrarium and the lodged in the fellows eye. He had to have them removed by a Dr. Happy the snake is history and still killing spiders, sorry, just personal preference.

[edit on 1/12/2010 by zachi]

Well, I've had hairs flicked at me many times before. I'm sure this person made the mistake of getting his head too close. It happens. The trick is not to let this kind of thing happen...

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Drunkenshrew

Nonvenemous anthropod. Maybe a tick bite. Lymes Disease, Malaria, didn't they decide fleas carry something like ebola? I had a friend and her son had a lot of allergies. He nearly died of alergic reation - first to the bite and secondly to the meds for the infection. He was in the hospital for a week. BTW, they gave him vinamin B shots so he tasted bad to bugs and they wouldn't bit him. Eat more B!

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I am unable to edit my original post and add the necessary information, that transmitted diseases are not meant. Zoonotic infections are explicitly excluded in this study.

(Zoonotic infections are infectious diseases, that are transmitted from animals to humans. These zoonotic infections cause more deaths and health problems than all venomous animals combined.)

As for allergies, many people who die after an animal attack, die because of an allergic reaction. In the USA anaphylaxis after a bee sting is responsible for more deaths, than all snake bites combined. Deadly allergic reactions are included in the number of fatalities. Allergies against dust mites or cockroaches are not uncommon. But are there any cases of people dying from allergic reactions against nonvenomous arthropods?

[edit on 13-1-2010 by Drunkenshrew]

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Tasty. I bet those legs make great backscratchers

posted on Jan, 14 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Wow good find! it goes to show that there are still undiscovered creatures still on our own planet!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join