It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
reply to post by InertiaZero

Jump for sure!!! ("sure" meant to imply big ol GUESS)

I assume they live in dens like other dessert spiders and do not weave a web. So its Den is probably terrifying, rabbit heads on the walls, its foe spiders skulls, jimmy hoffa, i dont get the heebeejeebies (technical term) very often but a giant spider like this, _____ THAT!!!!!!!!

when i come back tonight at around midnight the thread will have been taken over by people claiming it was created by aliens to implant global warming into my spiral.

So before that happens lets take a second and stand in awe of the wonderful giant spider!!! what a creature what a find!!!

Well if it behaves anything like its cousin (the Huntsman) then it doesn't weave a web at all. This spider is actually surprising because it is a desert dweller. The huntsman and it's relatives usually prefer wooded areas and live on and around trees and prefers to hide in tree bark. The huntsman feeds much like a jumping spider or a wolf spider. It doesn't wait for the food to go to it, it goes out and hunts for its food.

Usually Huntsman type spiders (excluding the Australian huntsman varieties) prefer a humid tropical climate but can survive basically anywhere that the winters are warm enough to survive. You can actually find a species of huntsman in Hawaii and can basically find them anywhere with a port.

This relative is a desert dweller. It doesn't have any trees to hide in and basically lives in the sand. I really don't very much about this particular species as it is new. I do know a lot about its cousins and it seems this little (huge) guy is out of place. It looks like its cousins but it lives in a completely different type of habitat. Very interesting indeed.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
for some strange reason im not scared of big spiders . but the smaller ones are a different story. however me saying im scared isnt quite right as i used to play with the little guys as a kid. its more of a reaction i have that i think was brought on by other peoples fear of spiders as i got older. after all they cant hurt you, not were i live any way. does anyone have this reaction to spiders now but no when i was younger

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Isnt it strange, that the mere appearance of a creature can make us want to kill it?

Humans...we are strange...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Neat find!! Reminds me of the spider mentioned in the Necronomicon that gives you second sight if you eat it.. =D So who's gonna be the first to eat one and find out?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
One of the coolest i've ever seen. My favorite though is still theGrandaddy Longlegs. One of the most poisonous spiders around yet it refuses almost to bite most things and actually do help humans catching certain bugs.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
One of the coolest i've ever seen. My favorite though is still theGrandaddy Longlegs. One of the most poisonous spiders around yet it refuses almost to bite most things and actually do help humans catching certain bugs.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

You know that has been going around for a long long time. I'm not sure where it came from but I think it needs to be corrected

I am not being rude, just correcting wrong information.

The daddy long legs is not a spider but they are arachnids. Spiders always have two body segments (notably a distinct "waist" between the cephalothorax and the abdomen). The Daddy long legs only has one. The daddy long legs is also known as harvestmen and are more closely related to mites than to spiders and scorpions. They have no silk, no venom, and a totally different respiratory system. They have the ability to release an awful scent when they feel threatened.

They are not poisonous at all. Everything you've heard is just hype!

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Great find on them big spiders .

If your afraid of spiders watch out for the desert southwest after a cool fall rain . You can find dozens of tarantulas larger than a mans hand running around on the roads or rocks . I find them kinda cool.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Holy shizz man

Quick grab a shotgun

S&F

I like interesting new discoveries thanks!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Oh dear lord that is just horrible, i could imagine myself running in like one of those dreams in slow mo and it catching up

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I would like to thank DaMod for being informative, as usual.

And also for not wanting to kill the poor thing.

I didnt know that about daddy long legs, but i assumed the "powerful venom" part was inaccurate.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
awe i think he/shes cute , and this is coming from somebody who hates spiders . and kills em on the spot .

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Don't mention it. It's what I'm here for. I just know a lot of stuff about animals, namely arachnids (and most other types of animals). Start a topic about plants and I will be lost lol.

---------------------

On a side note: I think spiders are by far the most misunderstood animals on earth. I started collecting tarantulas when I was younger and have been absolutely fascinated with them ever since.

I think the reasoning is that they relax me. I sometimes watch them admiring how simple their lives are. They are completely happy with only a few basic necessities. Sometimes I think I understand them more than I understand people.

---------------------

This is Charlie. She is 19 years old this year.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a391488032e.jpg[/atsimg]

There is a really good chance that one of my spiders (actually my first) is older than some of the members here at ATS.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Great find and awesome image too

I've to send the link and the image for my sister. Thank God she's got as same morbid humour as i, besides suffering from Arachnophobia

Arachnophobia Spider/Bathing Scene

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
adblock is my best friend right now.

Just popped in here to tell the OP that reading the thread title made me start to itch. I owe you one for that.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

When was your spider born? I am curious month and day?

I might be older I might not be

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

Aww! Im sorry!

I know alot of people are super sensitive to the subject.

You put the words "spider" and "giant" together, and the nightmares ensue.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix
reply to post by DaMod

When was your spider born? I am curious month and day?

I might be older I might not be

Early 1991. Not sure of the day or month (other than it was towards the beginning of the year). She was my uncle's. He got her when I was 6 as a spider ling. He gave her to me as a birthday present when I was 10. I am now 25. I'm sure you can do the proper calculations on your own.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
If there's one thing I hate more than ignorant people..It's spiders.
If I saw that in my house, I'd have a heart attack and crap my pants at the same time.

It would live in that hell hole known as the Middle East haha.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knoen
If there's one thing I hate more than ignorant people..It's spiders.
If I saw that in my house, I'd have a heart attack and crap my pants at the same time.

It would live in that hell hole known as the Middle East haha.

I could not imagine that thing getting in a house without anyone noticing. Hell, i have a feeling a doorbell and a calling card would be more apt.

And I was teasing OP, no worries. But I took a benadryl just in case.

In all honesty, i have no actual fears, such as heights, dark, etc---except spiders. Any size, any kind. They hate me too, so it's all good.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There is some kind of irony to the fact that my threads about thought-provoking topics are often ignored. But when I type "Giant spider" into the title, I get a million hits.

No matter

But something we havent discussed as part of the topic, is that we are just discoving these animals, yet their natural habitat is disappearing.

Maybe it's simple survival of the species, but this guy looks like he's head honcho

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join