It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Holy Cow

Wow. Just wow.
But I kinda feel sorry for them....

With a lanky legspan of up to nearly a half foot, a newly discovered spider species is the largest among its family of arachnids in the Middle East. The spider, now dubbed Cerbalus aravensis, was discovered in the dunes of the Sands of Samar in the southern Arava region in Israel by a team of biologists from the University of Haifa-Oranim. The scientists say C. aravensis is nocturnal and mostly active during the hottest months of the year.

OK. If you are not scared of spiders, click on the image. If you are, dont. Its a beautiful creature, indeed. But she's not like our tiny house-spiders. She's a mammoth.

Even if you CAN kill a spider with no remorse out of sheer fear, Im sure you find it sad that it's home is disappearing.

its home is disappearing. The Sands of Samar are the last remaining sand dune in Israeli territory in the southern Arava region. In the past, the sands stretched across some 2.7 square miles (7 square km), but due to the rezoning of areas for agriculture and sand quarries, the sands have been reduced to about 1 square mile (3 square km).

Its almost like species are diappearing as soon as we discover them.

Anyways, post your comments, and click away......IF YOU DARE.

Spider picture link

Source link for article

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Cool, gotta say I'd hate to have one drop on my head or something, though.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
HOLLY HELLLL

A half foot???
This thing is massive!!!!!!!!!
picture half a sub coming at you.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hack28

I would cry Hack, I would frickin' cry my eyes out.

The I would throw whatever part of clothing on it I could spare without breaking any laws, and RUN.

But I bet they jump...oh they jump alright...

[edit on 11-1-2010 by InertiaZero]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Its HUGE!!

If that landed on my head i would run the hell away and flat out scream like a little girl

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Jump for sure!!! ("sure" meant to imply big ol GUESS)

I assume they live in dens like other dessert spiders and do not weave a web. So its Den is probably terrifying, rabbit heads on the walls, its foe spiders skulls, jimmy hoffa, i dont get the heebeejeebies (technical term) very often but a giant spider like this, _____ THAT!!!!!!!!

when i come back tonight at around midnight the thread will have been taken over by people claiming it was created by aliens to implant global warming into my spiral.

So before that happens lets take a second and stand in awe of the wonderful giant spider!!! what a creature what a find!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Why did I just have to click on that?

Even read the disclaimer.:bnghd:

Nightmares for sure tonight.

Good find lady.

SnF

[edit on 11-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Could you imagine the crunch from stepping on that big mamma jamma?

I'd crush the hell out of it, it would be gross probably spray spider juice ten feet away, lol gross but I hate spiders.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Oh my good goddess ... we're gonna need a bigger glass.

Woody

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hey, you were warned!!!

I knew people would look anyway.......masochists.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I would love to get one of these for my collection. Very neat spider indeed. The thing I find most interesting is the genus Cerbalus which makes it a relative of the huntsman. Pretty similar appearance although the size sets it apart from all other non-tarantula species as far as I know. However this is not the largest arachnid.

The Goliath Bird Eating Tarantula (Theraphosa Blondi)

This particular specimen is only half a foot. I've seen them up to 10 inches before. T. Blondi is still king.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
damn!
I'd use the same defense i'd use against sharks.
the skunk defense.
I'd crap myself and they'd have to go elsewhere for a snack!

scared of spiders,needles,baby poop and colossal squid.

i couldn't help myself i had to look...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
Could you imagine the crunch from stepping on that big mamma jamma?

I'd crush the hell out of it, it would be gross probably spray spider juice ten feet away, lol gross but I hate spiders.

it's big enough to push you over and step on YOU!

Doobs

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'm not slamming the OP in any way... but a 5.5 inch leg span?... Big? Isn't the bird eating Tarantula got a 11 to 12 inch leg span?
Wait, found it:Bird Eating Spider
I came across a Carolina brown this past summer in my driveway that had a big enough leg span that when he jumped on my sneaker, he covered the whole front of it. I gently gave him a little flick onto the lawn, onry little guys.

Still a great find, and thanks for the share... I love big bugs, cept' the one's that sting... not fond of those.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It's amazing that it wasn't discovered sooner.

Its not like there is a lot of wildlife in that desert compared to a jungle where it is understandable that new species are constantly being discovered. Apparently it is very close to human settlement as well.

Still not that big compared to South American spiders.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
JESUS CHRIST IT IS A SPIDER, GET IN THE AIRPLANE!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Forty6and2

No offense taken

Yeah, i know that some south american spiders are larger by far. I just thought it was an interesting find, since like someone else mentioned...it was in the desert.

Where was she hiding?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I wonder if it poisionus. Thing would be crazy deadly if it was. By poisionus I mean to humans, not just little critters and stuff.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Amazing, that thing is huge I wonder if the apex predator of it's region. I'm not a big fan of spiders I'd like to get a look at one from a distance but if it got within a few feet it would be eating 308. Edit after showing the pic to some friends and seeing it a few times I probably wouldn't shoot at it if it got close. I think it's far from cute, but it's very interesting as well.

[edit on 12-1-2010 by Silverado292]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
nice spider, I think those long things at the front are for picking up vibrations in the sand.

It really looks like a ground spider, no webs needed to hunt.

I don't understand what people have against spiders, they are the ones that keep the bloody bed bugs away.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join