It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I worked construction in the desert southwest and tarantulas were fun.

When i was a kid i sold tarantulas to pet stores i got $2 a piece for them.

Working construction on one job i suspected someone getting into my tool box and we had a lot of tarantula out that time of the year so i put a few into my tool box.

One friend heard someone let out a yell and jump back from my tool box then leave quickly.

Tried to find the person on the job site and none of the contractors knew who he was.
A couple days later he was caught and they found he was a local criminal that would put on a hardhat and tool belt and go on job sites and steal stuff. no one had noticed him before because there were a number of contractors with crews on the site and everyone though he worked for one of them.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by js331975

Originally posted by Grey Magic

I don't understand what people have against spiders, they are the ones that keep the bloody bed bugs away.

And that's exactly why the spiders in my house have a pact. I don't get bitten by mosquitoes and they live. Sounds weird but it actually works.

Exactly why all my female friends hate me. They all flip out when they see spiders and want someone to kill it. If we are in my home, I protect it. I have to tell these people, this is my protector. He keeps other bugs from bugging me and we never need to shower at the same time so we have an understanding. I am with you there!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
They've been out there in the dessert and nobody ever noticed them until now?
Maybe they,"just discovered them" because they, "just now appeared".
Cern?

Sorry edit to remove video do to unacceptable dialogue.
The Mist
[edit on 11-1-2010 by randyvs]

[edit on 11-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Reply to ProudFossil-We have very tiny poisonous spiders-kill-kill-kill in my house.
I do not have any other pests period. Spiders crawl in during cold weather and I kill them.
I have seen what a very small brown recluse spider bite can do-it desolved this man's ankle-for real therefore I do not feel quilty in any way!

Reply to JayinAR: I know little but deadly-thats why I am on a killing spree which is infinite. I don"t kill them everyday. I only have killed about 10 or so a year.
Any way sorry to all the spider lovers that can"t wrap their mind around my spider killing.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yes, it did sound like a sea story but I can say that jungles have unexpected surprises in them and I was only relaying his story. The story teller was a LRRP with the 75th Infantry covering 30+ miles, so a little detour wasn't really a big problem for him. Snake eaters don't usually sweat the small stuff but he seemed like it really bothered him. I still don't know if it was true or not, but going around a valley with wall to wall spider webs and agressive spiders was apparently better than walking through it. A bite or bites could have been trouble for them in the boonies.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It kind of looks like a camel spider. When I was in the Army, I did a tour in Sinai, and those things were everywhere. And scorpions too. One evening my platoon mates saw one crawl into my boot. Since we were on the outpost in serious BFE and bored, we indicted it for attempted murder, and gave it a trial.

The defense attorney for the scorpion argued that it was just looking for a bed for the night, but the prosecutor convinced the judge that while that may be the case, it would have bitten me just the same had I put on that boot, lol.

Long story longer... guilty as charged. Executed by lethal stomp.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Cern?

WTF, dude!!!

How many folks do you know that just wander the desert looking for new species?

Not many...

By contrast, marine biologists discover about 1,500 new species of fish every year in the Amazon River Basin.

Why? Because the Amazon isn't a DESERT!

You don't find too many people wandering around the Sahara Desert... Even though there *are* people who live there.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Eh, the biggest spider here in Arkansas is the common tarantula...

They are pretty big, but there aren't many of them. In fact, I would almost wager that if you were to ask the Fish and Game Commission, they would tell you that no such spider even exists in Arkansas. (yet I have held them in this very state).

The size of a turtle? No way.

Although I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

We only have two nasty spiders here in Arkansas - the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse.

The Cane Spiders that I spoke of earlier are native to Hawaii... and they are scary.
Heck, they can jump to a good three feet and will literally splay their front limbs as if they are about to fight you.

Completely harmless though.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Here a link to some statistics about animal-related fatalities in the United States. Spiders kill each year about 6-7 persons in the USA. Bees, hornets and wasps are far more deadly. There is also an entry for nonvenomous arthropods. Has anyone an idea which nonvenomous arthropods are able to kill a person?
www.scark.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

I think Camel spiders are scarier then this one regardless of size but yeah that is one big a$$ spider.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

Non-venomous spider and tick bites that cause infections or spread disease [e.g., Lyme disease].

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
If it dropped on my head, i'd wear around like a hat. I'd call him Derby.

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic

I don't understand what people have against spiders, they are the ones that keep the bloody bed bugs away.

No. They ARE the bloody bed bugs!

I hate em. When I see any spider, I immediately go on the offensive. I have completely moved everything in my bedroom before just to chase down one little harmless spider. I knew it was harmless. But I couldn't handle the thought of it crawling on me at night. No way.

I wish I knew why a lot of us get so freaked out about spider's. Could be lots of reasons, from past lives on giant spider planets to just complete and utter confusion of the shape and look of it.

Sorry peta. If I saw a giant 8 legged creature in my tree eating a bird, it's soon to become a pinata. Wish it wasn't so...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by Drunkenshrew

Non-venomous spider and tick bites that cause infections or spread disease [e.g., Lyme disease].

Thanks, but I believe the cases you described aren't meant. Zoonotic infections are explicitly excluded in this study.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
A one foot spider?
That's no big deal. I'll start packing my bags and head for them hills when this comes a headin' my way....

[edit on 12-1-2010 by OrionHunterX]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Yeah good thing this isn't lord of the rings and none of us have to face shelob. That's one scarrrrrrry b***** ;p

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Camel spiders are found in the desert southwest.
we call them sun spiders.
nathistoc.bio.uci.edu...

And i know many of the troops in Iraq have trained at fort Irwin in the calif desert and seen them there.
forums.myspace.com...

This tells me that the sun/camel spiders have been around for millions of years to be found in two areas of the world that far apart.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Screw the NWO we got a bigger problem on our hands

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Looks like a slightly large garden spider.

Here is a big spider Aussie style!

thepirata.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
AWE !!!!! Ok , there are not many things on the planet that make me go all fuzzy inside, but that spider is CUTE ! Want one ! NOW!

Spiders are brilliant creatures!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join