It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yeah I can and did

I am slightly older hehe. Thanks for the info, prettyful spider, fascinating, yet creppy

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It must be good roasted, with some Tabasco sauce and fries on the side.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
That is the thing of my NIGHTMARES!

I knew I shouldnt have clicked on the link! That thing is scary and I would probably drop dead of heart failure after being paralyzed with fear.

I have always been terrified of spiders. I would rather wake up to 3 greys in my room over this thing!

Great post though s&f!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Huntsman type spiders are good at adapting. They are survivors, in the purest sense of the word (any Australian could tell you this). Sure I am a little worried they are loosing habitat, but as such they will most likely survive. As long as they have some tasty morsels to snack on and the weather stays warm I don't think we have anything to worry about.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I would rather wake up to 3 greys in my room over this thing!

Haha same here. More interesting, too, I think.

I feel sorry for the poor soldiers overseas that come across this monstrosity.
I think the enemy bioengineered it, no god would do this lol

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Knoen

Would you rather have spiders or mosquitoes, cockroaches, horseflies, locusts, Japanese beetles, and house flies etc. overrunning everything?

People say bees are the most important creature on this planet.

I say spiders are 2nd.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hack28
HOLLY HELLLL

A half foot???
This thing is massive!!!!!!!!!
picture half a sub coming at you.

LOL! I was reading it and thinking it just did not sound all that big. Picturing it in my head, all legs and stuff it just still seemed unremarkable. Then I pictured half a sub coming at me. Totally changed things!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Knoen

Would you rather have spiders or mosquitoes, cockroaches, horseflies, locusts, Japanese beetles, and house flies etc. overrunning everything?

People say bees are the most important creature on this planet.

I say spiders are 2nd.

I agree spiders get rid of all the other pests but I still dont like them. I prefer snakes
I dont kill spiders when I see them, I run! I know they are here for a reason I just dont like them....lol

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I respect your opinions about spiders, but I'd rather not have this beast doing what it does. Striking fear into the hearts of mankind.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by flymetothemoon

Omg, i never realized it but they used Huntsmans for the hybrid super spiders in that movie! (only they are really not that poisonous. That is a fictional spider)

So basically this new species is a massive version of the spiders you saw in arachnophobia... COOL!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It can sometimes be hard to appreciate the good creatures can do when you are convinced their entire species has decided to wage a personal war against you...

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I would like to mate with this spider? Perhaps some aliens can assist me in differentiating my genetic bloodline to include spinning of webs and eight eye balls?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
JESUS CHRIST!
why did i click that image >_< i want to cry out of terror now bee are bee

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by flymetothemoon

Omg, i never realized it but they used Huntsmans for the hybrid super spiders in that movie! (only they are really not that poisonous. That is a fictional spider)

So basically this new species is a massive version of the spiders you saw in arachnophobia... COOL!

Thank you for clear that up

Nice pet you have, btw. Scarry indeed. Still i'm not to agree killing a spider cause of own fear. Also i think fear is something, we may "learn" in childhood.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by flymetothemoon]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Not being pedantic, but I believe that many mistake the Harvestman for the Cellar spider. The cellar spider is a true spider and does spin webs (crap ones). It's pretty harmless, but they do eat a lot of bugs. Venomous, but not harmful to people.
Harvestman are totally different, but it's the long legs that throws people.
Might be regional in the labelling. That said, I don't think I've seen a Harvestman in California, but lots of cellar spiders. I saw plenty of Harvestmen in Britain.

As for the spider in the OP, there's no scale on the picture and no way of telling size other than the story. Looking at it, it appears to have the whole 'fuzzy' tarantula type vibe (not an expert). I'm wondering if those legs are not 6" each.......If it had a body the size of,say, a red-knee but those long legs it would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Yuck.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Isnt it strange, that the mere appearance of a creature can make us want to kill it?

Humans...we are strange...

can we change that to, "evokes an emotional response in us"?
i find that spider to be extremely beautiful, and i would love to see it doing it's natural thing in nature, or, barring that, make sure it is not wiped out by "domesticating"
(breeding it in captivity) it for zoos and whatnot.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by billybob]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
it's desperately sad when creatures die out... except for those, they should die out immediately. Look at it, man alive gives me the shivers.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I love spiders and will never kill one.

It is sad to see that such a species is already in danger even as we find it.

My dad would have a heart attack if I was to email him that pic. He once had a bird eating spider land next to him as we entered a new house in Guyana. For about two seconds he sang a shrill song of guttural horror as he balanced perfectly on a broom, his knees up to his chest. I have never seen a person balance so perfectly like I saw my dad do that day.

His fear of spider is total and I am still chuckling at the memory.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Wow suddenly the local hobo spiders don't seem so scary.
Just imagine walking outside and seeing one of those things running towards you... imagine sitting in your house watching tv, suddenly one of these starts to rappel down from the roof.

Id probably shoot that spider. Imagine trying to smash it with your foot! It would be like stomping a dog!

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Raverous]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Holy Cow

Wow. Just wow.
But I kinda feel sorry for them....

With a lanky legspan of up to nearly a half foot, a newly discovered spider species is the largest among its family of arachnids in the Middle East. The spider, now dubbed Cerbalus aravensis, was discovered in the dunes of the Sands of Samar in the southern Arava region in Israel by a team of biologists from the University of Haifa-Oranim. The scientists say C. aravensis is nocturnal and mostly active during the hottest months of the year.

OK. If you are not scared of spiders, click on the image. If you are, dont. Its a beautiful creature, indeed. But she's not like our tiny house-spiders. She's a mammoth.

Even if you CAN kill a spider with no remorse out of sheer fear, Im sure you find it sad that it's home is disappearing.

its home is disappearing. The Sands of Samar are the last remaining sand dune in Israeli territory in the southern Arava region. In the past, the sands stretched across some 2.7 square miles (7 square km), but due to the rezoning of areas for agriculture and sand quarries, the sands have been reduced to about 1 square mile (3 square km).

Its almost like species are diappearing as soon as we discover them.

Anyways, post your comments, and click away......IF YOU DARE.

Spider picture link

Source link for article

Nice creature, but it's a kid compared to this one. It's called the Goliath Bird Eating Spider. It's located in northern South American countries of Suriname, Brazil, Guyana and Venezuela. This thing is at least 12 inches across, I'll post the link to it.

nonprophet.typepad.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join