It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUN!! Giant Spider Discovered

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
humm this would be good protein guys

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
reply to post by DaMod

Not being pedantic, but I believe that many mistake the Harvestman for the Cellar spider. The cellar spider is a true spider and does spin webs (crap ones). It's pretty harmless, but they do eat a lot of bugs. Venomous, but not harmful to people.
Harvestman are totally different, but it's the long legs that throws people.
Might be regional in the labelling. That said, I don't think I've seen a Harvestman in California, but lots of cellar spiders. I saw plenty of Harvestmen in Britain.

As for the spider in the OP, there's no scale on the picture and no way of telling size other than the story. Looking at it, it appears to have the whole 'fuzzy' tarantula type vibe (not an expert). I'm wondering if those legs are not 6" each.......If it had a body the size of,say, a red-knee but those long legs it would be a terrible, terrible thing.
Yuck.

Harvestmen are also called daddy long legs and are a mite. Cellar spiders are long legged web weavers. There is really no conversation here as they are two totally different worlds of arachnids.

Harvestman:

Cellar Spiders (Family Pholcidae):

As you can see there is a space between the Abdomen and Cephalothorax which makes it unmistakable as a spider. I think the only real exception is camel spiders (Syndaesia sp.) which are neither spider nor scorpion (although they are more closely related to scorpions.) but also have the space between the Abdomen and Cephalothorax.

----------------------------

All spiders are hairy, however this particular spider is not a tarantula by any means.

If that spider laying down is 6 inches I would say it would have about the body size of an Indian Ornamental. (Poecilotheria regalis)

----------------------------

It is really sad how much I know about these things..

[edit on 11-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Raverous

Id probably shoot that spider. Imagine trying to smash it with your foot! It would be like stomping a dog!

You're in the wrong forum. You need 'survival' or 'weaponry' !!!! LOL

"What is the best calibre gun to kill mahoosive spiders?"

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hoghead cheese

A little late with the Bird Eater. Should have looked at page one.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
Could you imagine the crunch from stepping on that big mamma jamma?

I'd crush the hell out of it, it would be gross probably spray spider juice ten feet away, lol gross but I hate spiders.

I wouldn't crunch it, I'd be afraid it would run up my leg before I had the chance!!

Plus I don't hurt spiders

[edit on 11-1-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Oh, I didn't mean to infer that you were unaware of the difference. I was pointing out that the poster to whom you responded may have been referring to a cellar spider rather than a harvestman. It is possible that regionally there are different names for different animals, so "daddy longlegs" in, say, California might mean "Cellar Spider" and in, say, Kansas, it might mean "harvestman".

Yes, they are very different creatures. In England it's likely that when someone says "Daddy Longlegs" they actually mean "Crane Fly".

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Its huge but cuddly and cute
actually I like spiders, I used to collect them in a tub as a kid and watch them - I'm not weird just inquisitive!
Has anyone here ever seen a Whip Scorpion Spider, I'm not scared of spiders but when I saw one of these in a Cave in Belize I nearly ran away like a little girl, the one I saw was 9" in diameter and they were all over the place

[yvid]
[/yvid]

Ok I am having difficulty embedding the video, will do it later - look at whip Scorpions on Youtube if you want to scare yourself

[edit on 11-1-2010 by findlesticks]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by findlesticks

Your video isnt working but I googled the name out of curiosity, I LOVE scorpions. Now this thing for some reason I kind of like. It might the scorpion thing IDK, but I would more than likely run the other way too!

Now that huge bird spider that another member posted OMG no thanks! If I had to live in the jungle i would never make it with these types of things running around!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by InertiaZero
Isnt it strange, that the mere appearance of a creature can make us want to kill it?

Humans...we are strange...

Honestly I think our evolution hardwired some of our responces to some creatures, just think about how long Humans would of existed in a form that would of been food for spiders.

Spiders are one of those animals that I have very mixed reactions toward. Most of the time I get the fright responce but others not so much. There is a very large black jumping spider that lives in my area and it is very hard to be afraid of it because it has a smiley face pattern on its rump.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
damn i hate spiders, imagine finding one of those in your bath tub.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I am petrified of spiders. If I saw that in my house it would be getting the business end of my Remington 870. Then I would probably burn the house down just to make sure.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I feel sick just looking at that thing, not gonna be able to sleep now!

How can anyone like these things?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
What is it with people and spiders? You stomp on them a few times and problem solved.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Thanks for putting this up, it is amazing to think there's new species being discovered especially in an area of the world that has been home to people for so long.

I never kill spiders because I'd rather have a few spiders in the house than mosquito's or flies but if I woke up and that was on my pillow I'd be a bit freaked out to say the least.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ewww. I hate spiders. Especially big ones. Good riddance.

Seriously, though. Sucks to be you, Mr Spider.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I don't think this is one of those spiders my husband would actually get rid of for me. Usually I freak out, he sighs, gets up, and puts the thing outside. I could just hear him with this one "screw that!" and he'd join me on whatever piece of furniture I was cowering on lol.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
What an awesome creature, and it is sad they are very misunderstood.

I do hate anything creepy-crawly but you got to admit that some of these spiders take care of those nasty bugs we all hate, you know?

Me, I just spray stuff all around my house, my bed, my doors, and use a strong vacuum to get rid of every web I find (and in the basement they collect in a week no problem and the basement is redone and sealed).

S&F good find though.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Whoa those things are handsome!
I'd love to have an army of those...trained to do my unholy bidding!
Mwahahahaha!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
cool spider, glad I dont live there lol. I remember looking in the guiness book of records when I was a kid and its showed the biggest spider on record and it filled a double page spread and the book is big.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Hey, Ats family this is my first post and i think its fitting because i love spiders (not that id get too close to this monster ). I have posted a image in which most of us may have seen before while searching for strange things on youtube. They call them camel spiders found in Iraq. I didn't believe this was true until this post popped up. Is this the same creature? Maybe some serviceman/woman in Iraq reading this thread has witness these spiders before
thetorchonline.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join