It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Not really, just delayed it. we're getting pretty uppity about a group of islamic extremists at the moment, but Brown and Co are on their way out come May so not long to go before that ship has sailed.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

>cue Hugh Grant stereotype<

Well, I...ahem...err....I...oooh....err....

Look what you've done now, I've gone all embarressed and British....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
We've had about 15 inch in the last 48 hours here in south yorkshire and everyone seems pretty happy. I live at the top of a very steep hill in a cul de sac and nobody can get thier cars up or down the street as theres a thick sheet of ice under the snow but no one seems to care

I'm one of the few people that hates summer and loves winter so personaly im like a pig in # and hope it continues for a while longer

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Hmmmmmmmnnn.... Just how I like them....XXX

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Not really, just delayed it. we're getting pretty uppity about a group of islamic extremists at the moment, but Brown and Co are on their way out come May so not long to go before that ship has sailed

Well that dosn't sound good. So things are ready to jump off then?
As I said on another thread, I'm sure my brother s over yonder
realise their Govt. could be behind the civil unrest. So be sure to watch your backs my friends. The yanks are with you.
Sela
did you miss my inquiry on the butt bashing?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

There is a group called islam4uk wanting to march through a town that is famous for some sort of war memorial parade where they carry coffins through the town to remember our fallen, and the stupid pratts at islam4uk want to march through the town with coffins to remind people that their people over there have fallen too, and rub it in, and probably cause a riot. It will just erupt into violence if it happens, i think. (i'm going from memory on all this, some of my facts could be wrong, but its basically like that) Maybe they won't be able to make it due to being snowed in, lol.

For the record, i'm not saying that the people they are "supposed" to be remembering don't deserve to be remembered, i just think the way they are doing it, and the reason they are doing it the way they are is wrong, and probably dangerous.

[edit on 6/1/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Check out these threads to see the current level of feeling:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

reply to post by Selahobed

Hehe, good show
Just U2U me your completed bottom masage request form

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

It's not a "war memorial parade", it's the repatriation of dead soldiers from Afghanistan because they are flown in via RAF Lyneham, which is just outside Wooten Basset.

Those hearse's have real dead soldiers in them and the whole things has developed into a non-political way of expressing our grief and gratitude for their sacrifice.

Islam4UK wants to turn it into a political matter, yet these are the same people who shout "baby killers" and "rapists" at our troops when they return home.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

As I said Stu, my facts wern't completly right, i was just going from what little I have heard on the matter, thanks for correcting the facts and posting links to other pages on it, appreciated.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I can personally verify the one guys story about chevy novas and their winter prowess. Mine got me through those horrendous ice storms we had in Ohio back around 05 I think it was... That night driving home was crazy, It looked like someone was bombing Columbus, because the ice was blowing up those big cylinders on the power lines (forget what there called).

This story sort of reminds me of a story a co-worker told me about people down in the carolinas haha. He said that basically, if any snow were to fall, even just a dusting, everyone down there goes into a panic.

I personally didn't ever think that people over in the UK got so worked up over bad weather, I guess I just always thought that they were used to it. Meaning that their weather would be somewhat similar to the NE part of the states.

Oh, this also brought up a question, do you guys have weather levels over there for winter? We have 3 over here, 1 roads are bad, be careful, 2 yeah.. prolly shouldn't be out, and 3, unless its an emergency, by law, your not allowed on the roads.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

For the record, i'm not saying that the people they are "supposed" to be remembering don't deserve to be remembered, i just think the way they are doing it, and the reason they are doing it the way they are is wrong, and probably dangerous.

Thanks for the correspondance both of you.. It is so cool to use this tech for what
it is so good for. A sort of thermometer. You know you people are very much liked over here. So be careful.
Thanks for the links stu.

Cheers Guys

[edit on 6-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

That's cool, I just wanted to make sure that those "not in the know" understood what WB was all about.

reply to post by Wintergreen

No, we don't have weather levels or the like, but we do get a range of weather warnings, which I suppose could be same thing.

It's not that bad here though, it's mostly media hype and people getting excited at something unusual, but British weather is unpredictable as we sit on the confluence of several different various weather types. It isn't really like the NE of the US as that is a continental area, whereas we have a "maritime" climate due to us sitting in between the North Sea and North Atlantic.

[edit on 6/1/10 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Islam4UK wants to turn it into a political matter, yet these are the same people who shout "baby killers" and "rapists" at our troops when they return home.

And your point is?....

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Wintergreen

Not that i'm aware of, the Met office, which is the main source over here for the weather have a weather warning colour chart for different parts of the country, which applies to all seasons, green=no severe weather, yellow=be aware, orange=be prepared, red=take action

At the moment the whole country is a lovely shade of orange, lol.
www.metoffice.gov.uk...

[edit on 6/1/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Quick, we need to bail out councils. Those poor buggers haven't enough salt to cater for a once in a 30 year anomaly.

What does red mean, do we all have to pee on the roads to melt the black ice?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Something you missed entirely, obviously. Are you from the UK?

The current repatriations in WB have nothing to do with any politics. there is no "support the war" or not type feeling, it's all about mourning the loss of soldiers and honouring them with their familes as they are flown home. Not one political party of any flavour has yet to even touch WB as they don't want to taint it with politics.

I4UK wants to turn the place into a political battleground purely for point scoring as they know it would be sore spot. That isn't fair. if they want to protest against the war, go to London and do it.

EDIT: Anyway, this is way off topic. Visit the WB march thread I posted above if you want to discuss this, I will engage you there.

[edit on 6/1/10 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Actually, i would say it's the fact that its a "once in a 30 year anomaly" that they don't have enough grit, they would stockpile enough based on previous years, probably even with a little extra just in case, but not enough for this scenario.

And as far as your comment on the red alert, no-one alive would ever be able convince me to pull out my winky in this cold, there would be some serious shrinkage going on that i just don't think i would be able to cope with

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Feel sorry for those in Scotland; in the next few days it may reach -20C, enough to turn the most well endowed man into a woman.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Yes I'm from the UK and I think protesting in London would do diddly squat.

It's just a war for oil & gas, so i have no sympathy with either side.

OT, pretty snow.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
thats crazy. i couldnt imagin being stuck under snow for that long.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join