It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It's so funny for a number of reasons.

1. The fact that we can't deal with this snow, when it's hardly anything compared to other countries.

2. People laugh at those who stock up in case of emergencies. I have tons of stuff, dried food, gas canisters, candles etc. I keep this stuff not because revolution might happen tomorrow but because of situations like this snowfall. It saves me going out in the car and getting stuck somewhere.

3. Why so many people went out in their cars without any kind of supplies. Not even a basic kit! Fold up shovel, dried food, water, candles, maybe a sleeping bag. It's pathetic, i would be embarrassed having to be rescued because i didn't take simple precautions.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

What is it that says we "can't deal with a bit of snow"? We had a couple of feet where I live and the roads are open and the rail serives are running.

Bear in mind "other countries" that deal well with it probably have snow alot more, hence they have alot more experience. I look around on the news and see plenty of countries who are also having a hard time of it, for example:

China
Poland
Germany
Denmark
France
Switzerland
Italy
India (I know...India - Snow?)

In alot of those countries, they've had multiple deaths, not just cancelled buses, yet somehow the UK "cannot deal with it"...

Hmm, seems it's not just the media sensationalising.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I guess it depends where you are
I've managed to take a small walk and all i see are people spinning their wheels in cars. I'm sure the A roads and motorways are open, i'm not really talking about the government, i'm talking about the idiots who have no idea of how to drive, or people saying it's to cold to venture out and all that other rubbish.

It's not sensationalist to criticise people being weak. I realise quite clearly that we're not used to this weather and so our usual preperations are going to fall short due to no fault of the governments, as much as it pains me to say that.

I will comtinue to have a go at those who went out in their cars without supplies, it's not sensationalist, it's just funny.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Oh, I agree with you about the idiots, thats for sure. Seen plenty of them around. The worse ones are those in the posh 4x4's who think they can traverse the Alps in their machines, so therefore are doing 40 on an ice covered road. From what I've seen and read, those muppets are the ones causing alot of accidents.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Oh, I agree with you about the idiots, thats for sure. Seen plenty of them around. The worse ones are those in the posh 4x4's who think they can traverse the Alps in their machines, so therefore are doing 40 on an ice covered road. From what I've seen and read, those muppets are the ones causing alot of accidents.

In my town (on the coast) we've got one riverside development filled with Muppets like that.. pretty funny really when they get in their 4X4s (in a sad kind of way) but no one here is stuck.. (just a good excuse to bunk off for the day)

But then again they are the same numpties who want to ban the ferries and fishing boats from the port as it makes it look dirty and smell funny

[edit on 7/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Urrrrghhh
Great start to the day... One of those idiots who cant drive in snow has spun out and trashed my rear passenger side lights and bumper.... Bloody liberty!!!... My stupid next door neighbour, so I have a bruised car to go with my bruised ass
... Well good job I'm not using it today.....

Why Lord??? Why why why??? Im going back to bed...

*fold arms, stamps feet, calms down, girly fit over*

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

reply to post by Lee_K

Thing is, it is safer on the roads!

Like I said earlier, councils have no legal obligation (so therefore don't bother) to grit and clear footpaths. I have found that the roads tend to be alot easier to walk on and seeing as alot of people have had to stay home due to school closures, the roads are emtpy anyway.

How can roads possibly be safer than footpaths? Less ice? I'd rather challange a bit ice than a woman BMW driver skidding down the road!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Alas I have to make recompense for a whole month of choc, wine and whisky.... and if I don't I am not going to enjoy my boarding trip in a couple of weeks.

Legs were very red - not a pretty sight!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
A nice little site that I was watching to keep tabs on the snow ....

Will it rain?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The roads in my area (south wales) were all right today. Yeah, we had the basic ice and slush, but there was no snow fall last night. Just frost what with the low tempratures.

But i tell you, the slightest bit of cold weather and this country grinds to a halt. I suppose our goverments havnt botherd looking at how other, more northern countrys cope, since this is a compleatly ridiculous situation to be in.

Also im aware that the goverment dosnt think its neccessary to spend some money on dealing with these conditions because there not happening regularly enougth. But I suppose this dosnt matter...

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

Just life i guess..

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I am quite dissapointed the MET promised another 4-6inches of snow last night and all we got was a clear sky and some cold winds... how boring is that!.. and now the sun is out spoiling the whole thing..

[edit on 7/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

It does look like its clearing up everywhere... but it is very cold out...
from the Met Office

Latest observations - 1000 on 7 Jan 10: UK Location Weather Temp Wind Vis Pressure / trend
Dir Speed Gust
Belfast (Aldergrove) -1.9 °C SSW 5 mph 0.7 km 1016 hPa, Rising
Cardiff (St Athan) -2.9 °C NW 7 mph 30 km 1014 hPa, Rising
Edinburgh (Gogarbank) -9.3 °C W 2 mph 25 km 1015 hPa, Rising
London (Heathrow) -4.2 °C W 7 mph 12 km 1011 hPa, Rising

only London is reporting cloud cover

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I hope it doesnt continue,,and everyone is safe?

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
according to my thermostat it's a chilly -12c (dunno how accurate that is) here in workington, cumbria, i'm lying in bed under the blanket on my PDA, I made a cup of coffee ten minutes ago and it's already cold, lol. Think I might just stay here for a while, nothing better to do.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
according to my thermostat it's a chilly -12c (dunno how accurate that is) here in workington, cumbria, i'm lying in bed under the blanket on my PDA, I made a cup of coffee ten minutes ago and it's already cold, lol. Think I might just stay here for a while, nothing better to do.

Well I hope you keep warm and snug.. it's blooming sunny here (Sussex coast).. a chill in the shadows, but warm(ish) elsewhere.. enough to be outside and have a smoke in a t-Shirt and not feel to cold, and all the snow is melting

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Yes that does appear to be a theme, people in these massive 4x4's thinking that just because they're in that kind of car they are instantly able to traverse difficult terrain. You would think if someone spends 70 thousand ona car like that then they would also spend the 400 quid for a course that teaches all terrain driving

reply to post by Selahobed

Gah, sorry to hear about that. On the up side at least you aren't hurt
(sorry eternal optimist here, theres always an upside!)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Thanks, i'm trying to. I haven't been outside yet, there's a very good chance it's warmer out there than it is in here, it really wouldn't surprise me! I really should install radiators. lol.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
We are in West Cornwall and it did'nt snow last night although they said it would.
It was a bit frozen this morning and a few snow flurries since then but now it is sunny!
The only annoying thing was when it was snow free on Tuesday morning Asda refused to deliver our large shopping order just in case it did snow!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
The sensationalist headlines the british media go for over an inch or two of snow really beggars belief.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Yes I am one of those glad of my '2012 supplies'.

But to those muppets who think it's fun or funny, have a thought for elderly or disabled people, those who don't get paid if they can't get in to work, those with no heating, people injured on the ice and the many with cancelled hospital appointments etc etc.
Oh and actually some of us have suffered more than 'a couple of inches of snow'. None of us where I live have been able to get out for over a week now due to ice as much as snow. We don't all live in suburbia.
May I suggest that those who think it's all so hilarious go build a very large snowman and shove their heads up its behind. Or - as they say in show business, 'go break a leg'.

[edit on 7-1-2010 by unicorn1]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join