It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
I starred you because you are spot on man... not only did the sun go to sleep two years ago, the last time it did for an extended period, there was a mini ice-age in Europe and North American called the Maunder Minimum, which people seem to forget about. That lasted for 30(?) years and covered continents in thick ice, so it could be worse for the folks in the UK. Is it just coincidence that the US is seeing some of the coldest weather as well?

The Maunder Minimum and The Little Ice Age lasted for over 2 centuries, spanning from the early 16 hundreds to the late 18 hundreds.

I don't believe it is a co-inky dink that the end of the Maunder Minimum seems to coincide with the the "warming" trend people see around the world today.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Thanx for your concern,but it is too late.It fell off!!

Imagine my shock,especially after the doctors told me that everything was going to be fine!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Yeah, I'm down in Wales (south west) and its been pretty manic here. The gritting lorries have run out of grit as someone or something has stolen all the bloody grit! Not to be deterred our gritting lorries are still on the roads...but with no grit.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstar1102

It's not actually a "total shutdown" or as bad as the media claimed. We have had almost 2ft of snow in Berkshire and everyone is getting on with things.

The only real problem is the schools closing, although quite why some of them shut is a mystery, as the roads are open!

For my kids school, I blame the left-wing femonazi in charge. Any excuse to exercise her power and she's there.

But, bottom line is, don't believe the media hype. We're coping and coping fine. As has been said, much of Northern England and the land where they like porridge has been under quite a few feet of snow for nearly a month now, things are ticking over quite merrily.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Thanks for that Woogle. I've looked at 3 different weather services in the last half hour and have got three different forecasts. I actually had a great day today. Perhaps one area worthy of research is the sociological effects of snow. I spent the morning talking to cheerful strangers, people I've never met before. People crunching through snow would smile, stop and chat. Snow, natures own Prozac! I take it there's been no snow in the_denv's neck of the woods.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

You have to laugh at this one! I wonder what the alleged "scientists" over at the IPCC are saying? Hmmmm, global warming? Climate change? Global cooling? How do I feel today about the science, let's use Bayer's Theorem (licks thumb and sticks it in air to test mind/wind direction). Where's global warming when you need it...lol.

Do you know why that radical group in the 60's was called the weathermen? They were always wrong!

Hope it warms up people, here too. In North Amerika we've had one helluva cold snap as well.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
The management of this country GB is a disgrace to the point of being brilliant in its plan. London Tuesday had zero snow but all the London media and Rail companies both predicted server snow and the rail companies introduced a disruptive minimal service. I will repeat this for the slow, the rail companies on Tuesday advertised a disruptive service that would happen Wed/Thur/Fri. So wed morning arrives and yes a dusting of soft snow a few inches that affects at worst the residential areas but town roads in Central/East London at worst had some slush. But I arrive at the station to find hundreds of angry cold passengers and no train/delayed over packed trains but clear snowless tracks. Buses running unaffected except for the increase of passengers who can't get on a train. We are officially ignorant compliant sheep. I listened to those that made it to work to today speak as if they were in the grip of a blizzard and it was life threatening! They commented as it snowed for about 4 hours in central London that when I left at 5pm was not to be seen as it had not settled! But we get to the station and again thousands of cold angry passengers being told over and over at the station of the delays because of the severe weather. Absolute crap. This country is a joke and it will get worse!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

You have to laugh at this one! I wonder what the alleged "scientists" over at the IPCC are saying? Hmmmm, global warming? Climate change? Global cooling?

Cheers - Dave

Yep, these are the very same scientists in the IPCC that used to scare the sheeple with the Global cooling/ice age scam in the 70/80's. Got rid of those CFC's but could'nt quite get the sheeple then to pay for it, like we will the new scam

[edit on 6-1-2010 by mlmijyd]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Just been out for a run and its now very, very icy on paths and roads - I think tomorrow may be worse for people.

More salt and grit needed I think but there is only so much these gritter guys can do.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

The local authorities have no legal obligation (changed by Labour..thanks you lefty wankers) to grit the footpaths anymore.

In Wokingham, where I live, we had ice on the pavements from the last bout of snow up until last Thursday and now we have another load that will no doubt sit there for weeks until it warms up.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

It's the same all over the country, everywhere is running out.
Simple solution to the problem, Tesco value salt. Send the gritters to the local tesco, and there will be one, Tesco's domineering empire is in every city, town and village, and fill them up.

1) It will probably be cheaper than grit

and

2) For those who have never had Tesco value salt, it's like grit anyway

Problem solved.

edit to say: for those of you who take every post seriously, this post was my poor attempt at humour.

[edit on 6/1/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
16 inches? I live in the Rockies.... 16 inches is a light dusting.....

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

It's get a bit boring with you Americans coming on here and starting a whole "my snow is bigger than your snow" crap every other page. what is it with you guys and having some pathological need to make sure you're "number 1", even when it comes to snow... Jeebus H. Christ...

Yes, well done, you have more snow than us. Now go and play quietly somewhere while the adults talk...

Ironically, it is because we hardly get any snow that 16 inches is a big effing deal. We are just not prepared, nationally, for extended periods of it being bloody freezing.

[edit on 6/1/10 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I live in Fife, Scotland, and we have about a foot of snow ontop of about three inches of ice. in my opinion the council here have done the best they possibly could. the main roads are fine (basicly the same as they would be if it was raining) almost everything is working fine i.e schools etc. the only ones that are closed are because of the heating breaking down.

It does seem that whenever southern England gets a small dusting the news changes to "Britain" in chaos not just the southerners.

CX

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fang
Six pages of (mainly) Brits talking about the weather! Ladies and Gentleman, we are in serious danger of reinforcing an international stereotype here.....

You just wait till the delivery trucks can't get through and there are no teabags left in the shops....that will be an apocalyptic scenario the likes of nothing imagined before!

CX.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Haha how the media n government etc like to make out how useless joe public is when we get some snow.

Schools, bus stations, railways in fact most of public transport plus places of education close down............not because of the snow but because of the certain injury claims that would flood in because someone slipped on their arse, because this country is now claim capitol of the world.

If Hitler only knew that instead of dropping bombs but drop a few inches of snow then we would all be talking in German by now.

11pm last night me n the wife went for a walk in the snow, bloody brilliant it was, made a nice change from the grey skies and rain, snow angels, snowballs etc all good fun.

Woke early this morning because I knew the motor would need dealing with for a good 15 to 30 mins, car warmed up windows cleaned of ice n snow then a nice "taking it easy" drive to work......no problem whatsoever.

The OP headline states heavy snow.........pah I remember in the 70's two and three feet of snow falling during the winters, we wrapped up and went to school no problem.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by DaMod

It's get a bit boring with you Americans coming on here and starting a whole "my snow is bigger than your snow" crap every other page. what is it with you guys and having some pathological need to make sure you're "number 1", even when it comes to snow... Jeebus H. Christ...

Yes, well done, you have more snow than us. Now go and play quietly somewhere while the adults talk...

Ironically, it is because we hardly get any snow that 16 inches is a big effing deal. We are just not prepared, nationally, for extended periods of it being bloody freezing.

Believe me I am not interested in having an international bratwurst measuring contest..... So much angst......

I think the "Americans" just can't beleive you are making so much fuss over a little snow...

You have had snow before right? Even a few centimeters? I figured that you would have developed some sort of miniaturized fuel efficient snow plow by now.... How about salt!? It's cold... oh no... get a coat!

Why don't you people strap some tennis rackets to your shoes and man up already? I don't mean to be rude, I have nothing against Brits in general but Jeebus L. Christ man even a shovel will work!

We have the technology!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note I'm not referring to those who cannot afford heating inside their homes. That is also a problem here and my heart goes out to those people 100%. I read an article some where that many people are burning books as alternative to natural gas or electricity. I really hope they receive some sort of help. For those who have these things.......... grow a pair!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Interesting weather here in the North West of England, we've had about 12" of snow in the last 48 hours, and a real big temperature drop tonight, at 7pm we were recording a temp of -4.3 by 10 pm that had fallen to -14.9, a 10 degree drop in 3 hours is quite something for here!!

Source

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

You may joke, but it is a serious situation you describe there. So much so that during the World Wars, tea and Fish 'n' Chips were seen as something that HAD to be prioritised to keep morale up!

reply to post by Wolfie_UK

Indeed. I noticed that too yesterday. It's not "southern England" that is the catalyst, but London. I work with Londoners and it's no joke but they are barely aware of the world outside the M25!

reply to post by DaMod

Whatever.

You live in the Rockies, you expect lots of snow, so have the necessary investment made into plows, gritting and the like, plus each person is sued to having to be prepared. Whereas in the UK, we do not get this amount of snow usually, so it's taken us a bit by surprise. Still, it's hardly the doom and gloom you seem to think it is.

Telling us to "man up" is very rude and ignorant. I myself have walked the 4 miles to work through 2 ft of snow, people have been helping each other by digging peoples cars out of their drives and the sense of community I have seen over the past couple of days has been great. You can take your "man up" comment and stick it where the sun doesn't shine, to be honest. You just want to rub it in that you feel superior, that's the only reason you felt the need to post what you did.

As has been stated quite a few times in this thread, it's media hype mostly. We're getting along just fine, the roads are clear and there is some transport disruption in places. Other than that, it's business as usual.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

"Just been out for a run and its now very, very icy on paths and roads - I think tomorrow may be worse for people."

Sir you are mad...... Mad mad mad I tell ya!! Run indeed..... The very thought!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join