It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

If you're not interested in comparing your "Bratwurst".......why bring it up and compare it?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire
Well i was on the bus at 7.30am. The snow was about 4-5 inches in places but mainly slushy.

What i find is that its some people have no idea how to drive in this weather. Think i nearly got knocked over twice today.
What i find is that you get all the "LOOK AT ME, IVE GOT A 4X4" people driving aroud that cause a lot of accidents/blockages with their over-confidence.

What I also find is not only do people not know how to drive in this weather but pedestrians think it is safer to walk along the roads!! Which makes driving around hilly areas a lot more awkward!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by DaMod

Whatever.

You live in the Rockies, you expect lots of snow, so have the necessary investment made into plows, gritting and the like, plus each person is sued to having to be prepared. Whereas in the UK, we do not get this amount of snow usually, so it's taken us a bit by surprise. Still, it's hardly the doom and gloom you seem to think it is.

Telling us to "man up" is very rude and ignorant. I myself have walked the 4 miles to work through 2 ft of snow, people have been helping each other by digging peoples cars out of their drives and the sense of community I have seen over the past couple of days has been great. You can take your "man up" comment and stick it where the sun doesn't shine, to be honest. You just want to rub it in that you feel superior, that's the only reason you felt the need to post what you did.

As has been stated quite a few times in this thread, it's media hype mostly. We're getting along just fine, the roads are clear and there is some transport disruption in places. Other than that, it's business as usual.

[edit on 6/1/10 by stumason]

I feel superior? I am superior to no man no matter where he is from or what his religion or race is. I think this is something that you and I do not have in common. The fact that you even said something like that is very insulting.

My thing is if I can do it, you can do it plain and simple. I was actually under the impression that the UK went to an absolute standstill. But as you said, not living there I can only rely on things I hear through the grape vine (or media hype). I was under the impression that Brits where acting like a bunch of Sallies. I'm glad I heard wrong. No harm no foul..

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lee_K

Thing is, it is safer on the roads!

Like I said earlier, councils have no legal obligation (so therefore don't bother) to grit and clear footpaths. I have found that the roads tend to be alot easier to walk on and seeing as alot of people have had to stay home due to school closures, the roads are emtpy anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Good point!....it's the fact that this sort of extreme winter weather is not the norm for the vast parts of the UK that makes it interesting.

If reports of record high temps of 80 degrees were reported in the summer in usually clement countries, I don't think I'd be inclined to laugh them off, with claims that 80c is merely "cool" here in the summer!

It's an unusual weather event here in the UK, that by all accounts is set to last at least another 2 weeks and very possibly longer.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

In fairness to stumason, the softness is been portrayed by those who believe England starts n ends within the boundaries of London. Anywhere else such has Manchester, Liverpool plus the majority of Scotland are getting a right pasting yet they just like most UK folk pull their scarves n hats on a little tighter and get on with it.

Don't believe what the media says just ask UK members on here what they are going through and I bet you will mostly get the same answer, just a little inconvenience nothing more than that.

Wolfie

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Well, after looking outside and taking the bruise on my ass into account, ive given my girlies the rest of the week off, so tomorrow the locals had better watch out.. Ive got me some new wellies and fully intend to go ambushing the neighbours muuuwwwahhhh... And make the most handomsist snowman and snowgirl ever, and have a snowpeople wedding in my back yard.... Yeyyy!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The media always hypes things up. I can honestly say, after the flooding here a couple of months back (read one of my earlier posts) that when extreme weather like this happens (extreme for the UK) the communitys come together and make sure nobody is left out to struggle. Yes, a lot of places are un-prepared, but thats because it is an unusual situation, for most, to be in. Another thing is that the worst prepared areas are the big cities, but thats because there is so many people cramped into such small (compared to American cities) streets, but that also gives way to the not being prepared // unusual scenario.

But, at the end of the day the majority of people are struggling through it with a smile and coping rather well IMO.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Thats the thing, most people are loving it, its a nice change and it just makes everywhere look picturesque the only people who hate it are those who stand to lose a lot of business from it, but its swings and round abouts. Im gonna end up paying for my 2 days off with a shed load more work but ive just spent 2 days in my boxies watching films and messing about on the net, happy days.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by R-evolve

oh aye its been fun for the most part, but boxies? jeeze man, i'm in a downstairs flat with little heating apart from a small blower, this time of night i'm wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa on here, lol. I've got a wood burner, but I can't be arsed getting it out, plugging the ventilation in and all that hard work! Are you from the north west (manc // liverpool)? I haven't heard boxies since my cheeky little scouse friend was last up visiting, lol.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
reply to post by DaMod

In fairness to stumason, the softness is been portrayed by those who believe England starts n ends within the boundaries of London. Anywhere else such has Manchester, Liverpool plus the majority of Scotland are getting a right pasting yet they just like most UK folk pull their scarves n hats on a little tighter and get on with it.

Don't believe what the media says just ask UK members on here what they are going through and I bet you will mostly get the same answer, just a little inconvenience nothing more than that.

Wolfie

Quite, 1mm of snow falling in London and its panic stations. Here in Scotland we just get on with it. My bird bath now has about 8 inches on it. No point gritting since it just re-freezes anyway when the temp drops big time (-20C tomorrow). Just keep scraping away the new snow. By the way I'm from Yorkshire (pennines) where the snow is even worse then here......they are still getting on with life though.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Concerning those that say this disproves global warming (which is always predictable when folks get a little chilled), just be aware that extreme weather pattern like this are PART of climate change predictions. Some even think that the ice caps melting are shutting down the oceanic currents which could cause cold over much of the northern hemisphere - meanwhile, the west is in record heat. The bottom line is that extreme weather records are getting broken at a faster pace every year (all consistent with what scientists have been saying).

Check it out..

Experts: Cold snap doesn't disprove global warming
news.yahoo.com...

The next time someone laughs at global warming because they are a little cold, tell them to learn some critical thinking skills!

[edit on 6-1-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Awww those poor birdies Lol.... Stu is right though, however any excuse for a day off huh?? But have a single flake of snow in london and those southern jessies cant handle it even with all of their chelsea tractors lol..

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Oh hun, please don't label us all "southern jessies" just because those Londoners get in flap. Outside the M25, we're getting along with life just fine, but for some odd reason if London gets half an inch, their underground trains are cancelled!! Go figure...

Btw, I take it you're not taking me up on the "ass salve" offer then?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by R-evolve

oh aye its been fun for the most part, but boxies? jeeze man, i'm in a downstairs flat with little heating apart from a small blower, this time of night i'm wrapped up in a blanket on the sofa on here, lol. I've got a wood burner, but I can't be arsed getting it out, plugging the ventilation in and all that hard work! Are you from the north west (manc // liverpool)? I haven't heard boxies since my cheeky little scouse friend was last up visiting, lol.

hehe im a scouser, still in the northwest but no longer liverpool. My house is boiling all the time, my mums was growing up so im the same, keep it toasty.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Put your money where your mouth is Stu.. I will even bash my butt a few more times to make it worth you while

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
We once had 60 inches in 2 days in Moncton New Brunswick Canada. It shut the whole city down..People were coming out of their homes through the window.. Somehow, I just cant imagine that little amount being that disruptive.. We often have 2 ft or more in a storm... Good old Canadian weather.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Now, there's an offer I'd be mad to refuse!
If only you were being serious!

But do be careful while you tenderise your bottom for me, wouldn't want any serious injury to come about. It is very cold tonight and ice will be a big problem tomorrow

reply to post by Grossac

Thats the thing though, it's not that disruptive. It's mostly media hype.

[edit on 6/1/10 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So you are our Westminster afilliate.
Has this weather served to Quell
the civil unrest that was about to jump off over there across the pond?
Sort of cool things off if you will?

Sela
Alright ! how do we get in on this butt bashing over here in a Americle?

[edit on 6-1-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

No worries.. You too sweety....

Who says I wasnt serious??

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join