It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

news.yahoo.com

Unusually heavy snowfall stranded hundreds of motorists, disrupted trains and shut down schools and airports across Britain on Wednesday as the country suffered through its longest cold snap in nearly 30 years.

The British military was called in overnight to help rescue motorists when up to 1,000 vehicles were caught in a massive snow-related traffic jam in Hampshire, in southern England. Many people were evacuated to nearby rescue centers but some people slept in their vehicles overnight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hospitals are being forced to cancel operations amid snow chaos and Britain's longest cold snap since 1981.

Roads are already blocked, public transport severely affected and schools shut down, releasing hundreds of school children to play in the ten inches of snow (25cm) that fell across parts of Hampshire, Oxfordshire, West Berkshire, Surrey and Buckinghamshire overnight.

The snow was still falling in London and across the UK today, and the Met Office is predicting six more days of deluges for parts of Britain, with temperates plummeting to generate treacherous driving conditions
There's a vid as wel as the story here

The disruption turned the spotlight on infrastructure services in Britain.

The National Grid issued a "gas balancing alert" for only the second time ever on Monday after a 30 percent surge in demand because of the weather.

This was an indication that it might be necessary to cut supplies or get hold of more in order to avoid what it called a "gas supply emergency". A spokeswoman stressed that supplies were in place to cope with demand.

But the Conservatives have obtained figures which they said showed Britain had only eight days of supplies in storage, based on current usage levels.

Yet another story

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DaddyBare]

[edit on 6-1-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
the story goes on to point out:
British winters are typically mild, and cities and towns are generally ill-equipped to deal with heavy snowfall. With the worst-hit areas seeing up to 16 inches (40 centimeters) of snow, officials and road crews were struggling to keep up.

I was there back in the 1980's and remember it being rainy cold and somewhat dreary but nothing like this...

Anyone who lives in that part of the world have anything to add??? it sounds pretty bad

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Its embarrassing how this whole country comes to a stand still with a little harsh weather. We usually have it pretty good; its cold in the winter, mild in the autumn and spring and hot in the summer, four perfect seasons ( id like a little more sun though ). Soon as we get a little snow its bring home the troops the country is under attack. ive no idea how this country had an empire we are too obsessed with the weather. Still its got me off work
happy days.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I'm in that part of the world!

I'm not in the worse hit area, but it snowed pretty much all night and at least from 7am till now (half 11am) There's about 5 inches on the ground. It is set to get worse, with more snow due at the weekend. But yes, we are so unprepared for this it's almost not funny. (but only almost, I still lol at people who freak out in the snow) The gritters were out last night, but all the roads that were gritted, soon became snowed over again.

Did it stop me from getting to work, did it heck like.
Might stop me getting home if it carries on, well, stop me from driving home, I live ona hill which is notoriously bad for driving up in the snow. So in the pub carpark my car will have to sleep tonight, probably.

But yes, on the whole, we suck when it snows

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
It's bad, but nothing we haven't had in the past.

I remember back to the 60's through to the early 80's this was the norm for winters here. We always had snow, often heavy, and got along just fine most of the time.
I would point out though that many people I see driving in bad conditions obviously have no idea of how to do so safely. This seems especially true of some of the 4x4 brigade who think their 4 wheel drive makes them safer than everyone else, so they can drive faster. Of course, four wheel drive will give them an edge, but not unless they have proper winter or all terrain tyres fited, which most, if not all, do not have. Thus they become big heavy sliders and a danger to others.

As for me, I am staying put and working from home, something in this day and age you'd think more people would be able to do, instead of attempting the commute. Shop workers generally live closer to their place of work than many office workers so are probably not affected so much. I am surprised so many companies still rely on staff being in the office rather than having them using a "Home office" - my employer is aggressively looking at this aspect to cut down real estate footprints and thus infrastructure costs as well.

So, yes, it's bad right now but nothing we can't handle or get used to again, as long as people adapt to it and use common sense.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Yep, Pretty much agree with whats been said already.

Where i live (midlands) it's been quite forgiving considering other parts of the UK, but still problematic on the roads.

One more comment i'd like to make and i may get flamed but it needs to be said:

Snow + Females + Large cars (mostly people carriers and 4x4) = Catastrophe!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I remember my first time driving in heavy snow. I was in this little old beat up 12 year old Nova. I was coming up to a rounddabout, and this guy in 80 odd grands worth of sports car was trying to get round the roundabout. I pootled round him using my clutch only. He was revving it up like a muppet, and getting nowhere fast. I got home just fine, his car was still at the side of the road the next morning. My 600 pound car owned this idiot, several times over.

A little common sense goes a long way. When driving in the snow, take it VERY slowly, and do not rev it up when you get stuck.

I want it to get to the stage where we can use snow chains. Can't do that at the moment because the main roads are usually cleared quite quickly.

I want snow chains

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Well i was on the bus at 7.30am. The snow was about 4-5 inches in places but mainly slushy.

What i find is that its some people have no idea how to drive in this weather. Think i nearly got knocked over twice today.
What i find is that you get all the "LOOK AT ME, IVE GOT A 4X4" people driving aroud that cause a lot of accidents/blockages with their over-confidence.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I'm in the UK and i was thinking how some countries allegedly have weather modulation technology. Well if they wanted to cripple our country all they needed to do would be to create a snowstorm.

The whole situation is a bit of a joke though.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Yeah. Not sure if you may have heard, but there was a suggestion that the wormhole/light over Norway was some device to cause this weather.

Anyway, it is nice to see that they've fixed the EuroStar trains.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
im in the south of england and ive been given a day off for the first time in years as there is no power at work, otherwise its never really bad enough on the roads to stop us, its a bit different if you have to get a train as we seem to be terrible at keeping them running. in my opinion the whole country uses the snow as an excuse to bunk off work, if it stays as bad as it is for longer than a few days i honestly think that people are going to have to get on with it, we will reach a situation where no one has any food etc... as i was up for work anyway, me and my workmate went out in his offroader for a bit of fun in the snow, we ended towing lots of people out of ditches etc and went to see a friend of mine, we took her to the local shops to get some food and found most stuff to be sold out. everyone had been panic buying and it was a choice of chocolate or stawberry milk for the tea lol! anyway my point is that there were people dealing with it and driving safely to get around, it can be done but most of the uk seems to look out of the window in the morning and say no way. will these same people feel the same in a few days when they are running out of supplies?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
The sun went to sleep two years ago. Was some country doing that, lol, i doubt it, even though mans ego will try to say they did.

Its just cycles of the sun, and i am glad people finally stopped talking about global warming.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by R-evolve
Still its got me off work
happy days.

What good is a day off work (without pay, probably having to waste a vacation day) when you can't go anywhere because of the snow? Sounds like a bummer to me. One of these days it may start to snow for 40 days and 40 nights and then ya'll will have the next 1000 years off from work, ha.
That kind of snow has happened on Earth before, and suddenly and unexpectedly too. I'm starting to wonder if England will even have a summer this year. Anyone around here old enough to remember 1816 besides me?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
In a twist of irony with my last post.....

I just got stuck in the snow
Was on my way to the pub for a quick lunch time drinkypoos. But it's on a slight hill, and I saw myself getting stuck, so I tried to turn, and got even more stuck. In the end, a guy came out of his house with some sacks and a shovel to help me out. (thank you mister!!) Then anotherr guy came and helped push, and some old lady even helped.

If it's one thing that this snow is good for, it's bringing people together. I'd never had met those 3 people today, had I not have got stuck. But 3 kind souls came to my aid, and we all left with smiles on our faces.

just another good thing snow does

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
If this is going to become the norm again for us in winter, people will have to learn preparedness again, which they will, quite quickly. The snow you've had in the south is a shock to you only because you're not prepared for it. Some places in the Highlands here, around Aviemore have had 4 to 6 feet of snow. The A9 south of Inverness was closed last night and that never happens. We might possibly get to the point where every October finds us stocking up on fuel, long term food storage, cash, medicines, all the other things we need if we're isolated. Even one large plastic storage box of emergency stuff can make a massive difference and everyone should have it. We're lucky in a way that we're more used to it than you guys, and life pretty much goes on. Schools are shut and roads are closed, but people still go shopping and still get to work.

Also the mindset is important...I know I'm going to have to dig my car out to get to work tomorrow. Learn how to drive in the snow, and don't rely on your 4x4 to get you through...they are useless most of the time. If you have a little Japanse car with skinny wheels, you'll probably do much better. Snow chains and tyres are fine if all the roads are snowbound, but they can't be used on a mixture of sufaces.

And rocksalt....I got caught out and I don't have any, and now there is none to be had anywhere. It's invaluable stuff for keeping paths, drives and pavements clear. Guess what I'll be stocking up on first next year!

[edit on 6-1-2010 by caitlinfae]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm in the West Midlands and it's not too bad, about 4-5 inches of snow, but it is bloody cold and took me 1.5 hours to drive 6 miles home last night. I also think I may be leaving my little Yaris on the pub car park overnight (I have a key to the gate
)

I have to say though that there is a reason we are so under prepared for this kind of weather. WE HARDLY EVER GET IT!!

I'm 28 and can only remember weather this bad once before in my life. So please tell me the financial sense it makes to buy enough snow ploughs to cover the entire country (considering you wouldn't fit one down many of the narrow British roads), when this kind of thing only happens once every 10-15 years?

Now I agree that it is a bit pathetic when we only get 1-2 inches of snow, but now when it's like this.

BTW, I also want snow chains, they look so cool!! But, to be fair, at the moment I would make do with a rear window wiper after some miserable git nicked mine the other day. I'm sure they swapped my front ones over too. Cheap sods, they're only a coupla quid each!!

[edit to add] A friend of mine has some Canadian relatives staying over and even they are shocked at the weather and at how cold it is.

[edit on 6-1-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This is quite obvious i know but why the salt shortage?
The way our country copes with a dusting of snow is bad enough but there was just short of a foot this morning.
Why grit the snow for it to wash away and have the plough blades raises so high that it aint even touching the snow?
Heres why, the origional blades were of metal and so they added a plastic attatchment to the bottom because they were damaging roads.
It should be done like how the russians do it, they get loads of snow and you dont hear any twisting from them like the rest of us.
Why dont they clear the snow with the ploughs lowering the blades, having 2 - 3 of them in convoy taking more snow off as they got then have the last plough grit/salt the road instead of wasting it? Theres no point gritting snow thats 6-7inches deep

ITS A WASTE

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I have to admit i'm not very well prepared for the snow we've just had. I'm gonna have to take a 3 mile walk to my local shop at some point as there's no way my car is getting out of my villiage. Still i'm going to enjoy the snow and not worry about it, might just go cap in hand to my more wealthy neighbours.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Heh, neither am I to be honest. I don't even own a pair of wellies!

Second frosty line.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I'm in the North West and all my exams have just been cancelled

I'm currently trying to organise a snowball fight of WW2 proportions and my snowman is coming along just fine and dandy.

There is no business like SNOW business

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join