It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds rescued as heavy snow slams Britain

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Makes me laugh...

I want it to snow.. heavily...

Imagine all the families who can keep the kids quiet/busy for hours on end..

I love it when the UK comes to a stop because of some snow..
We can all spend some time thinking about the things that truly matter rather than being a part of the sick little machine that keeps us all in order.

And if you think this weather in the UK is bad now... what about 1963?

[edit on 7-1-2010 by Extralien]

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Considering this is a fishing/ferry port and a pretty decrepid one at that, I doubt most of them are getting paid while not fishing but instead of moaning we are having fun.. nor is this suburbia, we do clean the paths for those who can not get around, and generally help out, while still having fun as our council is completly useless.. not suprised considering how little cash comes this way to regenerate the port.

As long as the snow lasts I intend to continue taking a little pleasure from it as will most of the people I know around here.

I do hope you are able to get out soon, as it must be pretty wrank being stuck in at the moment.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Dea foor in th' Big Brutha Hoose an it's still bloody snowing!!

-6C on my way to work this morning I actually can only remember 1 time when it was this cold and I was about 14, so that's 14 years or so ago!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Normality has pretty much returned to the north west, I dont think we are due any more snow either. I just hope the football at the weekend isnt cancelled. Anyone know how north londons weather will be sunday.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Its 22 degrees in Florida where I am. That is ridiculously cold here thanks to the humidity. I have seen 17 before, about 15 years ago when it snowed in Orlando.

So much for Global Warming

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Morning All,
I woke this morning to mildly blowing winds, and about 6 inches of snow. Itll get worse though as this cold front comes in, but in the meantime the kidsll have fun, and the animals are doing ok. My horses hate this stuff, but the soft snow makes for easier walking than the hard frozen ground, but my highland coos love it, they look like fluffy snow bunnies

Its cold and getting colder. wouldnt be so bad except for the windchill.
Hope everyone makes it through safe. All of our schools are closed, most businesses are closed, and Im in the central U.S.
Rossa

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by R-evolve
Normality has pretty much returned to the north west, I dont think we are due any more snow either. I just hope the football at the weekend isnt cancelled. Anyone know how north londons weather will be sunday.

Sky news reckons Sunday will see a lot of snow,pretty much all of the UK south of Liverpool.

Still got some badass icicles here in North Wales,some over a foot long,and plenty of snow left,but the roads are now clear.
My snow sphinx is still rock solid out in the yard.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Don't laugh at the guy at the end!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Ice that's that tricky stuff... even tire chains don't help that much on ice...
Those very cold temps are also hard on equipment/motors...

Now I guess we have to wait and see if it warms up before the Gas Supplies are exhausted...

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

My stupid next door neighbour, so I have a bruised car to go with my bruised ass
... Well good job I'm not using it today.....

Just wondering ...wouldthat be your car ... or your ass ?

(sorry, somebody had to say it) !

Woody

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Just to add,looks like my house roof has buckled under the weight of the snow(only just noticed this)-one bedroom is now a hazard zone,it was fine this morning but now something bad is happening-water is busting through the "V" shape on my roof!!
Its going to cost a pretty packet...Arrrgh,oh well im off into the attic to try to minimise the damage.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
As usual the media - especially Sky and the BBC (supported by the totally ineffective Met Office) have over-hyped the situation. The situation was far worse in 1963 and even that wasn't really bad in relation to Northern Europe and America.

For God's sake - let's get a grip and a sense of reality - the UK is a joke!

Heaven knows how 90% of the UK population would cope if we actually had a repeat of the Maunder Minimum.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
More snow expected for sunday, college has been closed all week, and now maybe next week if the sunday snow comes haha

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   

My garden yesterday

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dww25

Go with that bud. The UK is totally lost regarding this snow. I went to Zakopane in Poland in November, we flew to Krakow and got a two hour bus through really heavy snow and everything carried on as normal, vehicles on the road, etc. All these schools closing over here lol, what the whatever is going on, just lazy buggers who can't be arsed to work, you ncan only guess at how many local government workers have taken the day off, speaking of which they didn't turn up to empty my bin yesterday lol!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Because we are NOT used to it!!!

I keep having to say this over and over and over over over again,most parts in England only see -1 or -2 in winter, and all of a sudden we are getting -20 everywhere, people arent used to driving in the snow..

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

People give up too easily with a bit of bad weather. The show must (unless you are a government employee) go on

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

Nobodys giving up, people are (rightfully) having a little bit of a whinge // discussion about it. Schools are closed because, i reckon, A) its dangerous on the roads B) staff are in rural areas and can't get in because of the snow C) It's to expensive in todays finacial climate to run the heaters to keep the kiddies warm.

Unfortunatley there are the idiots on the road as discussed earlier in their 4x4's thinking they are gods amongst men and having accidents as a result.

There is also the un-preparedness of local councils with the gritting salts, no-ones fault, its caught everyone by suprise. The UK isn't used to this.

But the moral of the story is people are doing fine and enjoying the snow, and like the stereotype having a natter about the weather, even more so because it is so unusual, i've just looked at a satellite image of the UK and it looks like the Antartic, the WHOLE country, i'm 30 next month and I don't remember it ever being like this, last decent snowfall we had was 1997, but it wasn't as cold, or as long a period. Before that was the great storm of 1987.

Now if you will excuse me i'm gonna dive back unde3r the quilt with my thermos flask full of coffee (and maybe a dot of whiskey, but shhhh, don't tell my mum)

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Oh yeah it is fun. Beautiful. Clear sky tonight too, lots of openings for spotting ufos!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sileighty
to all the people laughing at britain: i really dont believe this has anything to do with our abillity not to cope, sure some councils have neglected to prepare for the cold weather and as such have been caught short but i honestly think that the whole shut down of the country is due to most people barely even trying to make it to work. they see snow and give up on work for the day entirely. some of my friends heard this snow could last until the end of the weekend and were planning what to do instead of work without even trying to get in. as one person said earlier the snow is actually not too bad to drive in if you are sensible, its the icy roads we experienced before christmas that are the real danger.
I guess my point is that we are using it as an excuse to shut down. blame apathy and laziness...

Washington, DC, USA here and I sympathize. We get teased all the time about shutting stuff down for 6 inches of snow. In the past, our city budgeted out repairs for snow removal equipment which means instead of 500 trucks, we have 150 working trucks, others non working.
Usually, it's mismanagement - nothing more.

Around here, the best boots are Timberlands. I had a knock off pair for the longest time and they keep your feet nice and warm while providing much needed traction. If you don't have boots and need to go out in the snow, here's a little trick - put plastic on your naked feet first, then socks, another layer of plastic and your shoes. That way, your feet won't get wet and stay warmer longer. The best plastic to use is for sandwich or storage bags.

Good luck out there guys and don't feel bad. There is always someone who experiences something all the time that puts down other people who haven't. Makes them feel more important I guess.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join