It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my gf's peta teacher is saying trapping is illegal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
reply to post by Annee

annee have you ever tried eating wild game such as deer,elk,moose,caribou,bison, etc? even wild birds- squirrel- really any wild game.
that might help your count- don't know but is alot healthier than eating beef with chemicals injected into them and their food.
sorry to hear salmon doesn't help as it is high in protien and the oils are good for you- plus it's my 3rd fave fish and is supposed to ward off cancer and heart disease

I love wild game - - buffalo - elk - deer - quail - rattlesnake. I enjoy the gamy taste. They would probably work as well as beef. Turkey - chicken - and fish don't seem to support my blood sugar imbalance.

I raised my two daughters on natural foods back in the 70s. LOL - they used to go tell the neighbors I didn't feed them - - so they could get sugared cereal.

It is a lot easier today to get more natural foods then it was back then. My grandchildren are being raised on organic and additive free food - - as much as possible.

I remember spending a summer on a farm in upper NE Washington state. Almost all our food was home grown or hunted. I had my first deer meat in Catalina - my father was caretaker of Catalina airport. I was extremely disappointed (at the time) - - it was illegal to purchase deer meat from a store.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
" law abiding hunters have more respect for animals then animal rights activists. "

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Zerra
My responce was that all things being equal (a hunter is more than likely living the same house and heating benefits as a animal rights person) that respect boils down to two different ways of belief. That blanket statements don't work.

"I think you are being defensive - where there is no reason for it. This is not personal. I'm not talking about you. "

"I'm just presenting a different viewpoint. "

-------------------------------------------------
www.abovetopsecret.com... (to continue animal discussion-the thread is here)

Take care

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Zerra]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerra

i have read that thread and it has nothing to do with the thread i started ty
this thread is about TEACHERS NOT GIVING FACTS to their students when they them selves don't know what the laws are.
if you have read the thread opinions and beliefs on impressionable children have no right in the classroom.
personally i myself am an animal lover but i do love to hunt trap and fish.
to just set acat on fire for no reason and laugh is wrong.
to just cut the legs off an animal and wattch it is wrong.
maybe you see trapping as torture but it is nowhere near those things.to shoot an animal and it dies quickly is not wrong.
everyone is entitled to their opinions but this thread was about pushing your beliefs in the classroom when the teacher doesn't even know the laws or facts ty- not torturing animals
i have no kids (except for my cat and no i dinn't have sex with a cat to get it) and i can tell you right now i treat her as a kid-if i ever found out someone did something like that to her then yes i would be on that thread and incriminating myself probably
torturing animals is wrong PERIOD!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Zerra

i have read that thread and it has nothing to do with the thread i started ty
this thread is about
BigFoot, Please don't misunderstand my post. Your thread was getting off topic and so I offered an alternative place that others like myself and Annee could potentially discuss 'moral' and 'respect' over animal life. You're right, it has nothing to do with the thread topic, which is the reason I offered it as an alternative. It wasn't intended for you my friend.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Zerra]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerra

ty you for your contribution to my thread.
maybe i did misunderstand you and i am sorry forthat.
and yes this thread did get off topic with th gmo stuff but i figured it would.
i was looking for opinions on if you think it is ok to push your personal beliefs and opinions on 10 yo's as a teacher in the classroom.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I do not think a teacher shoul dpush for a certain agenda , but I do support their right to create an environment where children may learn different views and discuss them. Assignments that let children pick out a topic, pick their own side and research it and write a paper or speech would be appropriate. Telling a classroom full of students what to believe in is most definitely wrong, it's lik etelling a child to wear green over pink-It's really not their business unless the kid has asked them personally.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerra

that is the point of this thread- it should be open to discussion in the classroom and let the kids decide- not humiliate them in front of the class because of the teachers beliefs
and as i have said the teacher should know facts and explain them- that is a part of learning.
isn't thatwhat teachers are supposed to do?
to belittle a 10 yo in front of his classmates so he gets teased because she thinks something is immoral is just wrong

CX

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Telling a classroom full of students what to believe in is most definitely wrong, it's lik etelling a child to wear green over pink-It's really not their business unless the kid has asked them personally.

I agree.

Different scenario but my daughter came home crying once (she was about 5 or 6 if i recall correctly), saying that the teacher had told here there was no such things as fairies. When my daughter said there was the teacher asked her if she'd ever seen one then.

I brought it up at parents evening, and highlighted the fact thay many of us are taught about or believe in things ( my kids go to a C of E faith school). I said to my daughter she should ask her teacher if she'd ever seen Jesus.

I'm on the fence with teachers giving personal opinions about topics like this. I think kids on the whole enjoy hearing about what teachers think, as long as it's not with a view to change the pupils opinion.

You don't want to be worrying a child either that their parent could be in trouble for what theay do. If it's that bad then it should be discussed with the parent, not the child.

CX.

[edit on 14/11/09 by CX]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Telling a classroom full of students what to believe in is most definitely wrong, it's lik etelling a child to wear green over pink-It's really not their business unless the kid has asked them personally.

I agree.

Different scenario but my daughter came home crying once (she was about 5 or 6 if i recall correctly), saying that the teacher had told here there was no such things as fairies. When my daughter said there was the teacher asked her if she'd ever seen one then.

I brought it up at parents evening, and highlighted the fact thay many of us are taught about or believe in things ( my kids go to a C of E faith school). I said to my daughter she should ask her teacher if she'd ever seen Jesus.

I'm on the fence with teachers giving personal opinions about topics like this. I think kids on the whole enjoy hearing about what teachers think, as long as it's not with a view to change the pupils opinion.

You don't want to be worrying a child either that their parent could be in trouble for what theay do. If it's that bad then it should be discussed with the parent, not the child.

CX.

[edit on 14/11/09 by CX]

I agree.
If a child told me they believed in fairies, I'd want to nurture their creativity (though personally i do believe too
) I'd tell them that is a wonderful thing to believe in-That would be an opinion, but It's to encourage them. I think there are a lot of uncaring teachers out there. I had one in grade 8 that called me and other students who did not catch on to math concepts as quickly as the A+ students that we were stupid. The teacher would even take our tests and put them up for the whole class to see, mark them up infront of everyone and as the class what the 'real' answers were. It was humiliating and if I had the confidence I have today that teacher would hear a piece of my mind.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Zerra]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
yeah i had teachers that would do that too. and it was humiliating to those kids. that is just mean. if a kid is bad at 1 subject but excells in another how can they be stupid and berated for it. only problem was when i was in school if i voiced my displeasure we would get detention,so they teach the kids to shut it. on the other hand i had teachers who would post up tests from students who did well to encourage them and others-not to belittle the ones who did bad but to compliment the ones who did well and hopefully get the others to strive harder. i had teachers that would welcome an open debate between us and stay out of it and only be a moderator like on here.
and if a kid wants to believe in fairies, santa claus, easter bunny, whatever-let them. they will learn in time it's not true buut that is the parents place to tell them or wait until they are old enough to understand.
teachers should encourage creativity in a childs mind not discourage it.
maybe a teacher will say football is a barbaric sport but a student likes to play it- now what?
point is if a child likes doing something that is LEGAL they should be encouraged not belittled because a teacher disagrees with their sport.
and for those of you who know nothing about trapping-it is very difficult and hard work and you need to know the habits of animals, look for signs,etc and determine what bait will work well and where and how to set traps.
it is a reasoning and learning process

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I wish I'd had teachers that believed in fairies.

I've always been on the fringe of mainstream. Seems I was just born that way.

In grade school in the mid 50s - - I wanted to discuss philosophy - environment - differences in people - etc. (definitely ahead of the times). I come from a long line of "useless geniuses" - - very brilliant minds with no practical application.

People say schools are worse today then in the "old days". Nah! They're really the same.

Focus on the middle intelligence - - Read - Memorize - Take a Test.

Thinking is a detriment to mass organization. Can't have a child that thinks. Way too disruptive.

At least today there are a variety of private schools. In my day - - the only affordable private schools were religious schools. Of course their focus is on something else entirely.

My mom tried to get my brother into one of those private schools. He was reading the newspaper at age 4. They tested him - - then rejected him because of his intelligence. He would require too much "special" attention - - and be disruptive to the class.

I do admire teachers over-all though. They have a tough job - - which has become more about politics then teaching.

-------------

This is all starting to sound like it needs its own thread.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Annee]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
yep can't have independent thinking in schools- you will do as we say and only you will only know what we teach you- even if it isn't true.
reminds meof the simpsons episode where lisa voices an opinion and suddenly the independent thought monitor goes off!!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
P.E.T.A. is a joke and their members are my God Sworn Enemys get me with in 50 feet of a P.E.T.A. member and local law enforcement will be charging me with another battery case.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Some people like missing teeth if this my kids teacher, he or she would be missing teeth, remember accidents happen!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by BATZNRAZ0RBLADEZ
Some people like missing teeth if this my kids teacher, he or she would be missing teeth, remember accidents happen!!!!!!!

How very mature of you.

Please tell me you don't really have kids.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well I am gonna go ahead and be the jerk here...

How do we know this child (I am not saying is a liar so don't even start) didn't just misconstrue or over-dramatize what happened? How do we know this teacher didn't say "Well I think trapping is illegal" or "I think trapping is illegal out of season?"

So a few points...

1. Saying trapping isn't legal is not opinion it is fact (albeit obviously wrong if she did indeed say that)

2. Your story has changed a touch from page 1 to page 4. You said she said trapping is illegal and now on this page she said immoral. Which is it?

3. Kids misconstrue and dramatize things ALL the time. I honestly have yet to meet a single kid...or frankly adult...who hasn't done this

Just my thoughts...hate me if ya like

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BATZNRAZ0RBLADEZ
P.E.T.A. is a joke and their members are my God Sworn Enemys get me with in 50 feet of a P.E.T.A. member and local law enforcement will be charging me withanother battery case.

And then the missing teeth posts. Violent much? -leads to stressing the body out-to High blood pressure-Heart attacks. Not a fun way to live or deal with the world.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Zerra]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I was really kinda p-o'ed when I read this a couple days ago. It hit too close to home for me.

In high school I actually spent probably about 1/3 of a semester sitting in the office during my world history class for constantly challenging the teacher. She would teach us stuff that would contradict the book that she had us read. My point was always that it was a class that was supposed to be teaching us facts. Instead we were taught one fact from a book, and a contradictory fact from her mouth and I argued that she either teach us from the book or from her mouth, because both weren't working harmoniously.

Luckily the principal and staff were apparently more intelligent. I never got in trouble for getting kicked out of class, and actually became quite friendly with them all. I always had the option of sitting there or returning to class, which I reasoned as "I get a steadier education reading from the book in the office".

Sad, isn't it? My anarchistic attitude and philosophies may have brought me a better education than my peers. BTW, I grew up in Wyoming. Schools around here start generally about a week before Labor Day, but the first 2 weeks are extremely lax. Basically (at least up to 95 that I know for sure) about 1/4 to 1/3 of the school would be gone intermittently through that time... hunting season! Bow season opens on Labor Day weekend. Such a confusing time... get to go hunting, YAY! but also school started BOO!

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

kyo- reason the story "changed" is because i didn't get to personally face him and ask him for a few days. as i have said- this is a he said/she said thing and we will be meeting with her either today or tomorrow and then i will get the facts of what actually transpired.
as for whomever said knocking someones teeth down their throat- that is not right to be violent just because you don't agree with what someone says- and believe me i can be violent- but that is only if someone is trying to do physical harm to me or someone else and 1'm acting in self defense

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

my gf's 10yo son has been trapping with me in pa. since the season opened.
his teacher asked what he did over the weekend and he said said trapping with my mom's bf
she said it was illegal to trap animals.
wtf are they teaching kids in school- he can't even name all 50 states on the map? personal opinions about something is not teaching. and not only that she blatently lied to him.
we are going to get answers tomorrow- i doubt he is lying to me
i am licensed to trap in season and go by the rules.
so wtf is a teacher to tell my mentor it is illegal and call the cops on me?
esp. when the cops have no authority- the game commission does not her because she doesn't ike it.

I think you write like an uneducated stereotypical redneck.

i might send him to school with an oppossum with an "obama sucks" badge on it and see what she she thinks
what do you trappers and hunters think??
this is the brainwashing of our children.
be back tomorrow after my gf gets it straightened out

Yes, do this! Two wrongs totally make a right! People like you are the reason idiots like this kid's teachers have a point when they bring up gun control.

she raised her voice and suddenly they said she would be in at noon. like talking to a mexican- threaten them and suddenly they habla

Wow, that's cute. So now we have an ignorant racist redneck that lacks the ability to put a sentence together, talking about taking dead animals to school.

AND THE DUMBEST THING IS THAT I AM PRETTY SURE THAT THIS POST WILL GET REMOVED FOR "PERSONAL ATTACK!"

*sigh

[edit on 18-11-2009 by Happyfeet]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join