It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my gf's peta teacher is saying trapping is illegal

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
ok gf just called school and they said that teacher was off today
she raised her voice and suddenly they said she would be in at noon. like talking to a mexican- threaten them and suddenly they habla
she is going to the school after work- about 3 est-if teacher doesn't call her back- and then we will find out what is going on with this
i highly doubt her kid is lying tho
altho personally i would like her to sit down with gf, me, the kid, and the principal and watch her squirm and see what she has to say

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I suppose it depends on the place or what animal is being trapped to know whether it is illegal or not. It's hard to know if the teacher meant anything by it or not, and is she really PETA or are you just placing the title in order to spice it up?

I don't know where anyone here is from so I can't exactly have much of an informed opinion. I'm from Canada and our gun laws, hunting laws, and unions, as well as teachers are significantly diffferent than other countries.

Mr. Andy, yeah PETA has a bad rep but there's other organization to support like, www.idausa.org...

[edit on 10-11-2009 by Zerra]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I gave up on our teaching staff in the US a few years back.
My friends 16 year old son came home and said that his Marching Band teacher told him that Nixon started the Vietnam War so he could get a cut of the dope money coming out of Cambodia.

Go tricky Dick.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212
ok gf just called school and they said that teacher was off today
she raised her voice and suddenly they said she would be in at noon. like talking to a mexican- threaten them and suddenly they habla

Can you be any more racist?

I understand if you are a hunter - - standing up for your rights against an animal activist.

But your Neanderthal decorum is a turn off.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
My friends 16 year old son came home and said that his Marching Band teacher told him that Nixon started the Vietnam War so he could get a cut of the dope money coming out of Cambodia.

Go tricky Dick.

Now that is wrong. Political opinions should never be expressed by a teacher - - - unless in a college level political discussion class. And even then used only in a way to engage discussion.

HOWEVER - - - IMO - teachers encouraging any religious leaning are equally as wrong.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I think your gf need to go, not just take a phone call. Face to face contact is always good between a teacher and a parent, as then you can tell if the position of the teacher, how the are reacting and if they are listening to what the parent is saying. Walking while talking is also a good means as well, but if need be, with the principle in the room as well, not only as a witness, but also to mediate between the parent and the teacher as well.
Though I think that belittling the child infront of others is just wrong, no matter how you slice it. Did you or your gf, talk to any of the other children who were around at the time, cause if they all say the same thing, then you have something to scream about.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

Perhaps I was not clear. There should be a code of conduct, and included in that code, would be an edict that prevents teachers from giving their OPINIONS on issues.

If Teachers can't give their opinions, what about us? Shouldn't we also be subject to such rules?

If you don't want a teacher - who has studied a subject with the intent of passing on knowledge to others - to have an opinion, then who can?

Apart from you?

Think about it ..... are you God, and if not who are you to say who is right and who is wrong?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Argh.

If the teacher was offering her 'opinion', then it should have been presented a such and should have been that her thoughts were that trapping was immoral or similar. Her stating that it was illegal must be taken in context.
If she said it was illegal in some States, fair enough.
If she said it was illegal in your State, the burden is on her to prove it and to justify why her opinion/stance is relevant to the child's education.

Teachers projecting their political opinions onto students is plainly wrong.
I had a teacher in Britain who was a card carrying lefty (this is during the Thatcher years), who taught politics. His idea of teaching politics was showing us leftist propaganda. We complained to the school and he toned it down a bit... It doesn't really matter which side he was on, it was wrong for him to project his prejudices onto his students.

PeTA have never been very passive about their cause, and verge (?) on the militant. If this teacher is presenting her political agenda as fact - despite your having a license! - she should be reprimanded at the least.

Talk to her and make sure you have the story straight. If she's a PeTA type, there's no way she'll change her story because she obviously believes it to be right! She'll either back down, or get up in your face about the poor fluffy bunnies. Either way, you win.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
How come there are only complaints of teachers giving political opinions - - when its "lefties?

I can't be the only student that had to put up with Pro-Military War Mongers.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
How come there are only complaints of teachers giving political opinions - - when its "lefties?

I can't be the only student that had to put up with Pro-Military War Mongers.

Everyone has opinions. Sometimes that won't go away and I agree with you Annee, sometimes complaints only come out about opinions when we disagree.

I hope that my children will one day be subjected to an overload of all sorts of opinions and not just my own. I will raise them as I see fit, but once in the real world they have to deal with real life situations and know that everyone thinks differently. If my child sees a person being punished for having a thought/opinion I think that it will send them the wrong message, that conformity is the way. How much can we protect our children from other views or sources of information? I think making our children informed is a good idea. letting them have access to information.

We have the internet now, great tool to challenge a teachers thoughts- I would want to teach my child to listen, learn, challenge if it doesn't sit well but always do your own research and come to a conclusion. As long as it's only a comment and not a whole curriculum or attack.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerra

Thank you Zerra.

Yes - my mom believed in "many roads - many mansions". You can only find your own destiny by traveling many roads.

And - - I agree - - teachers are only human. A mistake in judgment should be understood as such. Which I believe this particular incident was/is.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Zerra

Thank you Zerra.

Yes - my mom believed in "many roads - many mansions". You can only find your own destiny by traveling many roads.

And - - I agree - - teachers are only human. A mistake in judgment should be understood as such. Which I believe this particular incident was/is.

Indeed, definitely nothing the teacher should lose her job over. Had she been correct she would simply be teaching her students to abide by the law, showing that she doesn't agree with the actions to the other students who are listening. Personally, I think traps are a dangerous method of hunting (pets and children could be caught in a forgotten trap and don't animals sometimes lose limbs and walk away ? ew) however, I wouldn't tell kids that if i taught. If I'd heard the story I would probably just move on to a different topic. I had teachers who got us to write essays on our 'opinions' with any subject we wanted to choose. Some people chose animal rights, others chose homeless people-whatever the issue the teacher was promoting our own opinions and I think letting kids think for themselves goes a lot further than teaching them what to think-teaching them 'how' to think is a lot cooler. Giving access to info was hard back when the internet wasn't available to third or fourth grade students but we were brought to the library and taught how to use it.

I would really hope that people stop bashing opinions and perhaps encourage children on how to think and find information. Would help a child when confronted with someone who thinks differently , they can just say "I don't know about that, let's go look it up! "

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

If Teachers can't give their opinions, what about us? Shouldn't we also be subject to such rules? If you don't want a teacher - who has studied a subject with the intent of passing on knowledge to others - to have an opinion, then who can? Apart from you? Think about it ..... are you God, and if not who are you to say who is right and who is wrong?

Wow, you sure are judgmental, aren't you?
First of all, teachers are in a special role as educators. As such, young children trust their teachers, and that means that if they give an opinion, they should state such, and also present alternate views.
Education at the grade school level involves teaching skills. Opinions should be developed by the students as they age. There are no opinions on whether math, English grammar and spelling, or verified scientific facts.
Passing on knowledge IS what teachers should do. Passing on opinions AS FACTS is not kosher.
Would you want your child to come home and tell you at the dinner table that you are a murderer because you eat meat?
Would you want your child to come home and tell you that you are ignorant if you believe in God?

If that is the sort of thing that you want, then I would suggest that you are not taking care of your child's needs properly. It is the PARENTS job to raise their children, and provide them with the morals and views of life, NOT the teacher.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by Essan

Wow, you sure are judgmental, aren't you?

Er, especially when I've been drinking ........

Fortunately I have no children. But I'm sure when I was at school teachers frequently expressed opinions on issues. It's one good way of encouraging debate. Obviously, depending on the subject, relevance, age and of cource context. A maths teacher telling 8 year olds that anyone who doesn't believe in Genesis is evil would, for example, be inappropriate. A divinities teacher making a similar suggestion to a group of 15 year olds and asking them to discuss the implications of such a statement would be a completely different matter. History, for example, is very much a case of opinions - though it should always be clear whether any opinion expressed is that of the teacher or that of a particular historian. As students get older then so they are more and more likely to be taught opinions - a university professor of geology tends to teach his theory on why the dinosaurs died out, not that of his opponents.

All of which is irrelevant to the OP. Which sounds to me like a simple case of a teacher making a perfectly reasonable comment which has been taken a bit out of context (assuming wherever this occurred that trapping is illegal except under licence - and that the child did not know to explain to his teacher that the person with whom he'd been trapping held such a licence). Whether it's moral or not is another matter. But we don't even know what animals are being trapped or for what reason.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Essan]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
well it came down to case of he said/she said thing
no way to prove either wrong
and animals being trapped are furbearers so they get skinned and sold-
opossums, racoons, coyotes, foxes, etc.
and yes i do catch an occasional cat but if i know its just a stray or someones pet and not feral i let them go
as for forgetting traps- never happens with me- i have a detailed log so i know where they are- i keep track of what bait i use, what i have caught etc.
kid or pet gets caught in one sorry
i am on private land so that now constitutes trespassing
and if i'm on public land i have every right to use that just as other people do
and i did not mean to be raacist- but i do construction and mexicans are taking over and say no habla when they throw stuff at me until i holler and threaten them and suddenly they know english- that is why i made that reference about the teacher not there until gf called and hollered and wahla she suddenly comes in

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Go tricky Dick.

Now that is wrong. Political opinions should never be expressed by a teacher - - - unless in a college level political discussion class. And even then used only in a way to engage discussion.

HOWEVER - - - IMO - teachers encouraging any religious leaning are equally as wrong.

Well,
Political agenda aside, the Vietnam war actually started a long time before Nixon took office and it was started by France.

I'm pointing out that these teachers are actually coming up with pure lies and do it yourself history to teach these kids.

A great deal of it isn't even remotely accurate.

Never mind spin. I'm just talking who, what, where and when.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
What all happened between your gf and the teacher? Though I think it is enough to let the teacher know that at least one parent is paying attention.
Actually there is a way to determin what is said, but this is on your gf to do such, and that would be to talk to the other students that were present, and their parents. If the other students state such, then the case of he said/she said quickly disolves to what the truth was.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by sdcigarpig]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfoot1212

]i am on private land so that now constitutes trespassing

Only if the landowner doesn't know you're there (which presumably makes it poaching?)

and if i'm on public land i have every right to use that just as other people do

Depending on local laws.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Go tricky Dick.

Well,
Political agenda aside, the Vietnam war actually started a long time before Nixon took office and it was started by France.

I'm pointing out that these teachers are actually coming up with pure lies and do it yourself history to teach these kids.

A great deal of it isn't even remotely accurate.

Never mind spin. I'm just talking who, what, where and when.

"These" teachers?

Well that's a blanket reference if I ever saw one.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfoot1212

She may just be ill-informed. There are states and areas where trapping IS illegal, either fully or partially.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join