It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA To Bomb The Moon Friday

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
In the meantime, i share the first pic released:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/27b07b8f4bfa8712.jpg[/atsimg]
This image provided by NASA shows an image taken shortly after the Centaur rocket impacted the moon taken from the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite Friday morning Oct. 9, 2009. (AP Photo/NASA)

Post Impact Press Conference
Fri, 09 Oct 2009 02:07:26 PM UTC+0200

The LCROSS Centaur and Spacecraft impacted the moon at approximately 4:30 a.m. PDT. Scientists are reviewing the initial data and will report what they know at a Post Impact News Conference at 7:00 a.m. PDT / 10:00 a.m. EDT on NASA TV.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
Watched it - doesn't seem anything happened.

Even the NASA people discussing it right now - seem a little confused, if something actually happened.

Saw dust when the craft hit - but saw nothing from a bomb!

Did something stop it?

That's because there was no "bomb" to speak of; the whole affair was an empty rocket booster and a kinetic impactor, the probe.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Yep, no explosives involved, not even residue rocket fuel as this would have tampered with the results. I was expecting a Kinetic flash but the stream was so stuttery im not too surprised noone at NASA saw anything.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
So with the current tech we would have HD videos from multiple angles out by now no? Or is NASA still deceiving the public with 30 year old tech.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Someone has already upped the video to Youtube

there's also a video titled:
"My cat comments on the LCROSS impact"

There's an interesting article by Sky and Telescope, here's an excerpt:

"Mark, Centaur impact," called a flight director at NASA's Ames Research Center. The black shadow patch showed nothing — though the probe was looking straight down onto it. The seconds ticked off. Still nothing but darkness. The same, apparently, in the colorful thermal-infrared images. Word came that a thermal-infrared signal was detected. A few warm pixels seemed to pop in and out of view. More blankness. Then the signal went dead — the probe had hit. The flight phase of the mission was over.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

also

Astronomers at Palomar Observatory outside of San Diego report they
saw no evidence of an impact plume through the 200-inch Hale
Telescope. Outfitted with adaptive optics, the telescope has a
resolution of about 180 meters per pixel, according to Scott Kardel,
the observatory's public information coordinator.
1152 GMT (7:52 a.m. EDT)

I hope that someone somewhere has been able to catch something on camera.

A good link could be this one:
apps.nasa.gov...

[edit on 9/10/2009 by internos]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Here's the awkward moment people where talking about. I wonder what the senior said maybe he whispered "We failed."

[edit on 9-10-2009 by broli]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Yep..

It went like this:

"Okay, it failed.. what a joke, I'm leaving, I feel insulted." *Packs his stuff*

High-Five?!

"We failed you dumbass."

*High-Five kid turns to the other guy*

-Kid, "He said we failed?"

-Other Guy, "What.. are you serious?"

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
It's still pretty exciting. I mean, if we find water on the moon think about how much Crystal Light we can make!

[edit on 9-10-2009 by BadLobster]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
He's probobally thinking "Ive now got to get the hell off Earth knowing ive just started a intergalactic war with ET on the Moon"

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yep...I woke up for it too...

My question is why is 97% of the media this morning is on circus news or either Baracks Nobel peace Prize and 3% on something of this scale?

weird...

and why did the screens just go all white at impact? I serioulsy doubt that they were going to show us what they REALLY hit ( ET colony?)

This made me think back to earlier this week on the Science channel where they were discussing and showing weapons for space use.....

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I think it's rather pointless to speculate on the motives for "not giving a high-five". What's the chance that he was just a jackass? Nobody here has worked with somebody like that before? Maybe he lost a wad of cash on a bet in a office pool? Who knows. We'll have to wait for the data to come in before deciding whether or not the mission was a success.

reply to post by SyphonX

So... a partial success?? No such thing. It's either a success or failure.

That's not how it works in science. Barring mechanical failures or calculation oversights, a failed mission can actually be both. When we build predictable models, and an experiment fails to produce the expected results, the question must then be asked... why? What happened? Answering that question can lead to new discoveries about our universe.

For instance, our entire model of oceanography and it's environment changed because of trying to answer the "why" question of failed predictions. Finding the answer lead to new discoveries and at times stuff we had never even considered before. Robert Ballard of NOAA tells his tale how the modern understanding of our oceans and our planet have transformed, just during his lifetime.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by Lasheic]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lasheic

Well if I'm not mistaken it was the NASA scientists themselves who quoted Yoda saing "Do or do not, there is no try"

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

If it can be shown to be human error, mechanical error, or something similar. That would be true. If it's a problem with the predictive model - and not our experiment - then it can be doorway to discovery in reworking our models to account for the new evidence.

We have to wait for the data, and the analysis.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Is anyone getting the post impact conference on their end?

I know it is just now supposed to be getting underway, but it isn't running over here.
Edit - Nevermind, it is going now.

[edit on 9-10-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What NASA did was insane!!!

Now if any kind of microbes are found on the Moon they can just say that it is from this incendent. I can think of a ton of reasons why this was wrong... why would the president allow such things to go on with our tax dollars? wow!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Where's that "we never bombed the moon" conspiracy theory?

I want my money back!

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Where are all the people who said that this would destroy the Moon? Some were just worried it would, others were certain. Or the people who truly thought that the ET's that supposedly live there would stop it.

Don't you just love when people spout utter ignorance, telling everyone else they have it wrong and then suddenly disappear.

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Eh...

In REality?

No.

Some dust hitting us in a thusand years, well allright, but that's no even a spark that will be seen?

[edit on 9/10/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Just like everything else about NASA

Another bungled job... time to replace the whole Agency and get some people that have a clue rather than just wasting money

So now NASA can say We got nothing so let's cancel the Moon Colonies"

posted on Oct, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense Zorgon. I think this is just the type of thing they would need to pull the plug on the current "vision". They already started with the commission saying we don't have enough money to do anything interesting in space, and now this.

Seems about right. Hype the thing and get every amature to look and then when nothing happens they say "Oh well nothing there after all."

The only kink in the plan would be that pesky Indian probe getting in the way. Oh well they've already started the damage control on that saying it's really just a scientific oddity and not there in usefull quantities.

I'd bet money Obama is going to pull the plug on going back to the Moon or at the very least push it so far back that the next president can decide to change his mind.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join