It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA To Bomb The Moon Friday

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I did not read this thread...

Well, at least you're honest. Too bad you get the rest totally wrong...

...but you guys DO realize NASA is bombing this area to have a clear place to start a moon base in 20 years, right?

Huh? What latest crackpot website did that crawl off of?

There are going to be many, many other considerations given to choosing an actual site, IF the funding even gets allocated....this experiment is designed to help in that selection process, to see IF the region is going to be suitable....the presence of water ice being one very strong asset, if they can determine it to be there in quantity.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by moonwize

I am really sorry that its original beauty will be gone.

I wouldn't cry over the crater Crabeus. There certainly are many, many other beautiful craters to lay claim to.

Just wondering how you'll feel when (and IF) they actually build a base....THAT will surely destroy some views, too.....

At least there won't be any complaints about impinging on some endangered fish species' habitats, or anything like that.....

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I'm going to see the Moon Bombing from my local Observatory that is open to the public.
Let's see if this is the real deal. Their telescope is on the borderline of viewing the event. But another Observatory close to this one will definately be viewing but not open to the public.

Just a small gathering tomorrow morning of PH.D's and M.Sc's and astro geeks.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
People crying over a few square feet of Crabeus being blown apart later probobally havent even heard about this crater (let alone seen it) until NASA proposed this mission a few years ago, the changes to the crater will be so miniscule after the event that you'd be lucky enough to see it with even the most powerful of home telescopes.

A Thermonuclear device set off on the Moon, now THATS something i'd be more willing to witness.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Well, Hello Weedwhacker, I guess I will just have to start worrying about that view when I see a Base being built. As of the present, it does not seem as if I'm going to have that Base obstruction in the way for a long time.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Ive have read all your comments about the event and even posted once. Here is the thing that we should ask ourselves..They say this is to establish if there is water contents on the moon..okay we got that part. Now lets ask ourselves why do we need that information, besides the obvious reason let's think. Well that opens the door to various questions regarding motives. People tend to get caught up in the drama take a step back and a deep breath. I would say bait and switch once again that's just my thoughts...I'm sure my fellow ATS comrades might have different views.

ejaylinz

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I did forget to mention that I do believe the resulting debris cloud field will be much larger than anticipated, the reason for this is due to the gathered Moon-Dust that was the cause of much Static concerns during the Apollo missions. The resulting field would give off a kinetic glow due to the dispersed energy field feeded from the solar wind, and like the Deep Impact/NEAT Q4 explosions the resulting particles would give some intresting results.

I think there expecting Jupiter-type Plume with this mission, with the Debris to be quickly pulled back down to the surface after the initial blast, but I think otherwise due to the dispersed static field.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
At least there won't be any complaints about impinging on some endangered fish species' habitats, or anything like that.....

Oh you think that do you? I will have you know that right this moment i'm writing a report that i will hand to the UK prime minister asking him to protect the life on the Moon. I have plenty of evidence for life on the Moon, see this video.

SEE! Those animals are endangered. I will not let them be killed off!

jra

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
A new image has been released on the LROC site. It shows the impact crater of the S-IVB stage from Apollo 14. The S-IVB stage is much bigger than the Centaur rocket stage that will impact tomorrow.

Apollo 14 S-IVB Impact Crater

The Apollo impact velocity was 2.54 km/sec and an angle of 69° from the horizontal along a heading of 103° (west to east). The S-IVB had a mass of 14,016 kg (30835 lbs) at the time of impact and impact energy was 5.54 x 1010 J (equivalent to just over 10 tons of TNT). The signal from the impact was recorded on the Apollo 12 seismometer; it lasted for about 3 hours. The LCROSS impactor (Centaur upper stage) is much smaller than the S-IVB and thus will make a smaller crater. The Centaur weighs about 2000 kg and will impact with a velocity of about 2.5 km/sec.

There were a total of 5 S-IVB impacts into the Moon. Nothing bad happened to the Moon.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Sorry, but seeing a moon base might destroy a bit of its natural beauty, but the fact that HUMANS build something on THE MOON will give me a bit more gratification than looking at the same old same old.

BOMB IT NASA!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Whoa, now let's hold everything. According to Rush Limbaugh, NASA is not looking for water, they are actually going to be testing the new super bunker buster bomb on the moon.

I actually think what this is is a test of the new weapon that... (laughing) I think it's a test of the new weapon that we learned about yesterday, the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, the MOP.

www.rushlimbaugh.com...

I know he is just joking (I think), but I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

I wouldn't cry over the crater Crabeus. There certainly are many, many other beautiful craters to lay claim to.

Bomb crater on the Moon ...

or the Lunar Hilton where they serve a fantastic Barsoomian Tarsk Steak...

Not a hard choice

Collecting Moon Fish by Earth Light... you know the Hopis believe souls go to the moon too

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
ONLY A FEW HOURS TO GO

Waning Gibeous Moon out tonight... better go out and have a lost look before NASA's BOMB set's of a chain reaction of the HE3 all over the surface,,,,

Now wouldn't that be an awesome sight

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It would be awesome if it were that easy to maintain a fusion reaction. It isn't.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984A small probe cannot work out the percentage of water in the surface of the Moon for a couple of reasons.

1) We need a large sample, rovers can only take small samples

Weak, statistics is a fair substitute

2) The missle is aiming for a shadow covered area, probes tend to need solar power to keep going.

Weak, some probes use nuclear batteries (beta emitters)

3) Sheer cost. This is a minor point compared to the others but have you noticed we're in a bit of a financial crisis on Earth at the moment? This way is cheaper.

Best excuse yet.

To clarify, this method is more effective and cheaper.

Always comes down to money.

Europa is thought to have an ocean underneath the ice crust caused by tidal heating caused by it's interaction with Jupiter. It is possibly one of the best chances of finding life elsewhere in our solar system. Therefore we cannot risk contaminating the liquid ocean (if there is one) with Earth bound microbes. They are still discussing ways of getting into the ocean with a sterile craft.

Before we ran out of money is my guess.

Any craft we send there would also be a little more advanced than a simple "crack the crust" machine but in the end we need to explore the local moons and planets before we head further out. A lunar base would help that.

Only a little. Why work to get out of our gravity well just to climb into another one?

By once again bringing explosives into this you show you are ignoring all evidence to the contrary. To be rude is to offend, there is no one on the Moon or Mars to offend. They are dead lumps of rock. It would be like getting annoyed because i threw a pebble at a cliff face. So please stop with this "i come in peace" nonsense. There is no one there to be peaceful to so that line of thought is a dead end.

What you are planning for Europa you had better think through for the other planets as well, or my descendants will curse your names for harming these delicate ecosystems that took millions of Earth years to develop. Not thinking ahead is dead end thinking.

As for Mars, well the difference is that the water is thought to be more concentrated. Therefore we can use rovers to take samples and confirm. The thing about the moon is we need to figure out how much water is in a large volume of lunar dust and we need to make sure it isn't an isolated pocket. So a nice big sample means we can take an average per kilogram.

So go get your sample. This debris field is where they bombed the Moon looking for water that took billions of years to accumulate, and that one there, and over there, and those two also, never mind we have a ring of garbage around our own world but we have to trash the planets too. And for any future visitors, who come in peace and see how we conduct ourselves, will immediately do a hairpin turn out of this neighborhood. What good are these monuments to stupidity, as if one planet wasn't enough?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Has anyone considered the thought that there may already be a secret base located on the moon and the rocket is being sent up there to destroy it for some unknown reason?
The idea was being discussed on the radio yesterday morning. Cant remember the guys name but I’m sure some one on hear knows who I’m talking about. They were saying that the Indian probe discovered a thin atmosphere of oxygen on the moon that could only be from leaky air locks from a secret moon base.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by murfdog

I am..... speechless.... You think that a leaky airlock would provide the moon with an atmosphere??? :: Facepalm ::

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Zenagain

Hay, I know it sounds ridiculous. But who knows? Just passing it on.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Wow! You actually talk to me after a quarter turn of the ecliptic!

May I submit that that is exactly what you are doing with this impact, using shovels, but in the form of a chemically generated pressure wave which throws the dust for tens if not hundreds of kilometers?

Is this to be the SOP? What limits are there to size? Why not maneuver one of the asteroids to impact say, Venus? No explosives there needed, just good ol' shepherd trojans.

What if we want to look for the presence of other minerals, shall we build deeper penetrators? Or use bigger detonations? It's cheaper, right?

How come these issues are not raised to the satisfaction of the public? Or is that no longer a concern?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spacecowgirl

Exactly. Why disturb pristine environments that should be preserved for our grandchildren. No - hang on, no living human will ever go there. And keep in mind we already have metal junk on the 'pristine' environment and the house you live in was once 'pristine' land and the car you drive spews out gas into our 'pristine' environment and you flush your poo down a drain pipe to end up God knows where.

What a load of pedantic claptrap. I've never met an environmentalist who isn't a hypocrite with the way they live now. You'd have to be a hermit to be a true envi'

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join