It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA To Bomb The Moon Friday

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

www.nasa.gov...

NASA's page on LCROSS....

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I have read the pages in mention and generally found a divide between conscientious folk and the all knowing scientist's club.

It doesn't matter if it is a puff of dust, or if it is wasteland, it is the principle of doing science the lazy-ass shortcut way and damn the consequences. What happened to sending a probe like we do elsewhere?

You know, they say Europa has water. Why not send something to crack the crust so we can confirm if there is water there? I'd be just a little explosion, happens all the time.

They say there is water on Mars locked under the dry ice caps, let's hit those to confirm. Mercury too. Let's just start blasting all the planets. And while we're at it we could reintroduce nukes for those tough ones with thick atmospheres.

Yeah. Come in peace. Who is really the rude ones here?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
wow nice for my birthday
they will bomb the moon in the morning and then
a few hours later we have a massive alien invasion coming on flying saucer
that would be a awesome birthday

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
I have read the pages in mention and generally found a divide between conscientious folk and the all knowing scientist's club.

It doesn't matter if it is a puff of dust, or if it is wasteland, it is the principle of doing science the lazy-ass shortcut way and damn the consequences. What happened to sending a probe like we do elsewhere?

You obviously haven't read the previous pages if you ask that question. A small probe cannot work out the percentage of water in the surface of the Moon for a couple of reasons.

1) We need a large sample, rovers can only take small samples

2) The missle is aiming for a shadow covered area, probes tend to need solar power to keep going.

3) Sheer cost. This is a minor point compared to the others but have you noticed we're in a bit of a financial crisis on Earth at the moment? This way is cheaper.

To clarify, this method is more effective and cheaper.

You know, they say Europa has water. Why not send something to crack the crust so we can confirm if there is water there? I'd be just a little explosion, happens all the time.

Europa is thought to have an ocean underneath the ice crust caused by tidal heating caused by it's interaction with Jupiter. It is possibly one of the best chances of finding life elsewhere in our solar system. Therefore we cannot risk contaminating the liquid ocean (if there is one) with Earth bound microbes. They are still discussing ways of getting into the ocean with a sterile craft.

Any craft we send there would also be a little more advanced than a simple "crack the crust" machine but in the end we need to explore the local moons and planets before we head further out. A lunar base would help that.

They say there is water on Mars locked under the dry ice caps, let's hit those to confirm. Mercury too. Let's just start blasting all the planets. And while we're at it we could reintroduce nukes for those tough ones with thick atmospheres.

Yeah. Come in peace. Who is really the rude ones here?

By once again bringing explosives into this you show you are ignoring all evidence to the contrary. To be rude is to offend, there is no one on the Moon or Mars to offend. They are dead lumps of rock. It would be like getting annoyed because i threw a pebble at a cliff face. So please stop with this "i come in peace" nonsense. There is no one there to be peaceful to so that line of thought is a dead end.

As for Mars, well the difference is that the water is thought to be more concentrated. Therefore we can use rovers to take samples and confirm. The thing about the moon is we need to figure out how much water is in a large volume of lunar dust and we need to make sure it isn't an isolated pocket. So a nice big sample means we can take an average per kilogram.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I don't believe we have a right to do this but I do know that if this will effect the Moon and it's inhabitants in any manner of harm the ET's will stop it from happening.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by observe50

Why don't we have the right??? Who do we ask for permission?

I say we have the right to do whatever we want. We are humans for god sakes. The universe was built for us to play around in.

Don't have the right? What are you even talking about?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by fieryjaguarpaw

Something tells me you're near the top of darwin's list. And I don't even believe in darwians story.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by broli

Darwin had a list? I don't know what you are talking about either. Please try and articulate a thought or an idea.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

The reason is probably to see the moon's density. They've already done this a while ago and they didn't like the results. Their first results concluded the moon was almost completely hollow..... Imagine that....

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by kick Flip
reply to post by mrsdudara

The reason is probably to see the moon's density. They've already done this a while ago and they didn't like the results. Their first results concluded the moon was almost completely hollow..... Imagine that....

No, once again the goal is to discover how much water is up there.

However i am interested in regards to the results you mention. Could you provide a link, to a peer reviewed journal or the NASA website itself where i can find these figures or read a paper on them? Thanks.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Too many 12 year olds on here. They arent carpet bombing the freaking moon!! This is a scientific experiemtn jeez. And not the moon isnt made of cheese, it wont melt and there are no aliens up there to piss off by doing this. Stop panicking!!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

It doesn't matter if it is a puff of dust, or if it is wasteland, it is the principle of doing science the lazy-ass shortcut way and damn the consequences.

Get real now. Anything we do has consequences and always did, even when humans lived caves. Speaking of Earth, we use explosives in mining industry -- do you also call it lazy-ass? Are you only allowing shovels?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm not 12. But my kids are younger than 12. The Moon bomb article hit the local news this morning. My kids are ....HEY WHY ARE THEY GONNA BOMB THE MOON DADDY??? My daughter is vey concerned. She's 7. Their position is that its not right to mess with the moon that way after all the moon belongs to everyone not just a bunch of scientific guys in the USA. She is very concerned that there'll be some collosal mistake. She is sweet. I did tell her about the experiment. She has no interest in it.

Just my 2 cents on the subject. Personally. I don't know why, but it does seem wrong. The Moon has been my friend for over 40 years.

Flame me if ya want, or just carry on as you were.

PG

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Its because of the headline. People see the headline and dont even bother to read the article and they think now we are dropping all sorts of bombs on the moon which is NOT true. I just wish people would think sometimes instead of just reacting to what they hear....and i mean really think.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Watch this, they are supposed to be transmitting live. There will be a UFO caught on tape.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Wow! This really is happening. Does anybody remember the end of the original film "The day the earth sttod still" The Martian" said that while we were destroying ourselves on earth, they left us to it, but now you are trashing space, we have to stop you ( I am paraphrasing).
Well at a guess, it comes as no suprise that there have been an an unusual amount of UFO sightings in the last few months!.....makes you think eh!

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I did not read this thread but you guys DO realize NASA is bombing this area to have a clear place to start a moon base in 20 years, right?

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Cabeus is a beautiful crater. I am really sorry that its original beauty will be gone. On google moon, you can see where India's Chandrayaan crashed a probe into the moon last year. It is very scattered out, very bright rays of soil sprayed out over a large area.
Don't worry, our moon will still be there after the impact... if the facts are as they have been presented to us. But our moon's face is changing in the name of knowledge. To find water for a future base on the moon that appears not to be on the agenda in the next decade. Now..that clears up everything..uuumm.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacecowgirl
More American insanity! And yet not a voice raised in a whisper against it? I am dumbfounded by the ignorance of American corporations/government who believe bombing a pristine environment is the way to go?!
Shame on you all for not demanding this be stopped!

I just sent the president an email... That should do it! No need to worry about this anymore. I just demanded this to be stopped! I'm sure he and congress will listen to me.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
I don't believe we have a right to do this but I do know that if this will effect the Moon and it's inhabitants in any manner of harm the ET's will stop it from happening.

Wow, who would need disclosure if we watched this scenario happen on live TV?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join