It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA To Bomb The Moon Friday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

NASA To Bomb The Moon Friday

www.nasa.gov

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. – NASA’s Lunar CRater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) mission will come to a dramatic conclusion at approximately 4:30 a.m. PDT (7:30 a.m. EDT) on Friday, Oct 9, 2009, with the impact of the LCROSS Centaur upper stage rocket and four minutes later, the impact of the LCROSS Shepherding Spacecraft into Cabeus crater near the moon’s south pole. To mark the event, NASA Ames Research Center is hosting ‘LCROSS Impact Night.’ News media are invited to cover the three-part event that is open to the public and free of charge
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The impact will be so powerful that it will eject a huge plume of debris that can be seen on Earth. NASA plans to air the whole event starting at 6:15 am EDT on Oct.9th on NASA TV www.nasa.gov... A Centaur missile will hit a crater close to the southern pole at twice the speed of a bullet. Folks on ' the dark side of the of the moon' better hold on to their hats.

www.nasa.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
and WHY are we going to do this????

This is becoming a habit with NASA.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I have to ask the same question. I mean they are bombing the moon, is anyone in the MSN even going to bother asking WHY?

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
DRATS! Wrong time of the day to be watching through our nifty new telescope that we just inherited. We got a new lunar filter as well as a solar filter so we can actually look at the moon and the sun without hurting our eyes.

Oh well. Perhaps next time NASA slams up the moon we'll be able to watch.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

CRASHING a rocket into the Moon would could uncover 5the presence of water ice, says a scientist who has helped Nasa decide where to target its probes.

The Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite and its Centaur rocket is expected to hit a crater in the Cabeus region of the Moon's south pole at 12:30pm on 9 October. The material propelled upwards will be studied with ground-based telescopes.

Cabeus was identified by Dr Vincent Eke of Durham University as a site with high concentrations of hydrogen – a key element in water.

He said: "If ice is present ... then it could potentially provide a water source for the eventual establishment of a manned base on the Moon."

It's an exciting time we live in - I count myself so lucky to have seen little tracked robots on Mars, probes from many nations investigating the Moon, comets crash into planets etc.

Humans are still learning, not quite stagnating!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Reminds me of the remake of H.G. Wells 'Time Machine'.

They bomb the Moon and it causes it to break up.

Should be interesting to watch.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by lucentenigma]

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
More American insanity! And yet not a voice raised in a whisper against it? I am dumbfounded by the ignorance of American corporations/government who believe bombing a pristine environment is the way to go?!
Shame on you all for not demanding this be stopped!

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

how could we? here in our very own planet we have groups who protect ancient sites , guard it with their lives and some of us couldnt even get near inside in some of the historical digs and ancient sites, like the pyramids and now Nasa will bomb the moon? and yes talking bout the pyramids,Maybe they will bomb them too coz we never could fathom whats with them...we just cant comprehend...so set the coordinates.. just like the moon...and bury whatever lies in there for posterity ...

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
reply to post by LeTan

Humans are still learning, not quite stagnating!

Humans have learnt nothing it appears.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I'm still shocked that more people aren't asking questions about this. If it was anyone else other than the US I'm sure more people would be asking questions. But we can do it and it's okay? That just seems wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Reminds me of the Blow Up The Moon sketch on HBO's late, great Mr. Show With Bob & David.

www.funnyordie.com...

(I think this would be the link. Don't know... my work firewall is blocking the site.)

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
"CRASHING a rocket into the Moon would could uncover 5the presence of water ice, says a scientist who has helped Nasa decide where to target its probes. "

What spanner wrote the article?

Anyway, is the same washing machine sized missile they were gonna send up about a month ago but it was cancelled for some reason?

Why do they need to uncover the presence of water anyway.. I thought the Indian Chandrayaan had already accomplished that?

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by enkira

how could we? here in our very own planet we have groups who protect ancient sites , guard it with their lives and some of us couldnt even get near inside in some of the historical digs and ancient sites, like the pyramids and now Nasa will bomb the moon? and yes talking bout the pyramids,Maybe they will bomb them too coz we never could fathom whats with them...we just cant comprehend...so set the coordinates.. just like the moon...and bury whatever lies in there for posterity ...

With so many other countries now sending up probes and discussing lander missions on the Moon, it stands to reason that the good ol' USofA would want to bomb any evidence of existing structures (either ancient or our own) out of existance before the rest of the world gets wise to it.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I said the same.. our old campfire buddies on the dark side are hopefully intelligent enough to shoot the missle before it hits imo if the Moon is their property then we just declared war on them.

Sure it might only be a 20 foot hole and do little damage but this is intentionally firing into the moon

be fun if this is how disclosure comes about or project bluebeam's false alien invasion. I saw someone remark that November will be the first real test of bluebeam

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I'm still shocked that more people aren't asking questions about this. If it was anyone else other than the US I'm sure more people would be asking questions. But we can do it and it's okay? That just seems wrong.

It's not just the Americans ... so quit with the American bashing (I am not a huge fan of NASA either):

A Japanese probe ended more than a year of orbiting the moon with a controlled crash-landing on the lunar surface, officials said Thursday.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

and

China's lunar probe ended its 16-month mission with a controlled crash onto the moon Sunday, officials said.Chang'e I hit the moon surface at 4:13 pm Beijing time

theasiandefence.blogspot.com...

It's a lot cheaper and safer than sending a manned mission to dig a few holes.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

Exactly!
"If we can't have it..no one can!"

I tell you what... if they destroy an ancient monument/kill any of the inhabitants of the countless colonies up there... it will be war.. this isnt a celestial object being slammed into them.. it's a bloody human rocket.

EDIT: also i think they are testing the hollow moon theory in recent months a handful of probes from various nations have crashed into the moon.. i wonder if they are monitoring the bell like noise.. and see if they can awaken whoever lives inside.

[edit on 17/05/09 by Raider of Truth]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ok this is just pure speculation. But let's pretend that the far side of the moon has been colonized. Then bombing the moon would be considered an act of war.

If the moon has not been colonized, then this might be a way of expediting the process.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacecowgirl
I am dumbfounded by the ignorance of American corporations/government who believe bombing a pristine environment is the way to go

It's not exactly a 'pristine environment'. It's a dust filled, empty moon. There is nothing wrong with exploring it and if that means making a little bit of the dust go 'poof' .. then so be it.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacecowgirl
More American insanity! And yet not a voice raised in a whisper against it? I am dumbfounded by the ignorance of American corporations/government who believe bombing a pristine environment is the way to go?!
Shame on you all for not demanding this be stopped!

I agree lets ban all meteors, asteroids, or any debris that threatens to foul up the moons crater-ridden beauty!

<<   2  3  4 >>

join