It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoopi says its not "rape-rape"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheColdDragon
reply to post by LadySkadi

I'll raise your 1. with the fact that most women are not self empowered, either adults or teens. A good portion of them end up in co-dependent relationships wherein they define themselves by their boyfriend/husband rather than embrace independence and forge their own destinies.

Agree or disagree?

*this is going to go off-topic of the original thread*

For the sake of argument, let's define "young woman" as age 14-25, agreed?

I'm hesitant to draw generalities, but it is *my* experience that your statement has merit. However, I work w/teens and at-risk youth (family counseling and alternative education) and so the demographic I am routinely involved with is not necessarily representative of the "whole" ... Given this, I will say that I spend an inordinate amount of time working with girls on developing self-esteem and self-reliance so that they do not end up defining themselves by the acceptance of others (especially by boys/men) ... often, the girls I work with are missing their "father figure" and have a need to seek male attention/appreciation.

I find that the boys/young men I work with tend to display a different set of issues. Primarily, self-destructive behavior (fighting, drinking, drugs, etc.) or uncontrolled/explosive anger issues. In many cases (maybe most) if not linked to a diagnosed Mental Health issue, it can be linked to a traumatizing situation (divorce, neglect, abuse, etc.)

Having said all that, I think it clear that in many cases, teens do not grow up "knowing" how to be capable, self-assured, self-reliant adults, they need to be taught/shown by example. Sadly, many parents are either incapable and/or unwilling to do this.

Result: lost kids/teens/young adults subject to being taken advantage of.

*now, back on topic of original thread*

[edit on 1-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well, I thank you for your candor in your reply and I'm glad we have a common ground on one particular topic.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

*sniff sniff* I smell a pedofile here with that kind of justification :up; What are you doing? Reading out of some NAMBLA talking points booklet?

20 billion stars to you, but this site only allows one. So.... 20 billion trillion stars to you in emotion.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by amazed

Ah yes, reward someone who is libelous towards someone as a response to a post.

Just ignore all the times where I've said "Rape is wrong" and that Polanski is probably guilty from what I've heard.

If it's convenient for your argument to label someone a paedophile, it means you win the internets! You don't have to come up with an argument or actually debate a person whose opinions you hate, just call them a Paedophile and everyone is on your side!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Uhh.. Up to that statement I was with ya.

I hope it's just an over reaction, but if not, it's pretty scary to think you'd rather see your child dead than having a consensual physical relationship.

Honestly, I would not want to see my daughter having a relationship at that age, but I wouldn't want her dead either.

Anyway, the threat worked on my daughter and my sons as well, so it was all good!

Hahaha, ahh thats OK then, I was just a tad concerned

Our kids grow up so fast now, they will be doing what they want long before we think theyre ready. THEY (the new WE) know better, you see..

Just hug them heaps.. make sure you let them know that no matter what you love them and they will always come home...

Nothing worse than a wayward child being told they're worthless and no good - that's worse than any crime, I think..

(edit - typos)

[edit on 1/10/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

He is an ugly old man - not that that should make a difference.

Who cares what Whoopi thinks - is she some sort of godess?

I think not.

This remains a ridiculous issue - the man did it, full stop.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed

Originally posted by Aeons
Boys in an age appropriate sexual exploratory relationship is not rape.
That this isn't clear to you is disturbing.

Actually it is. In many states consensual sex between minors is not legal. In addition, these same laws apply if parental consent has not been given even if both parties has consented.

That is an issue, imo. Kids will be kids. We all were. We all did things we were not supposed to. Including having sex.

If 2 young people are caught engaging in a premeditated and consensual act, it should NOT be illegal. It should be taken to the parents for them to councel their children as to why, at such a young age, it is not a good thing.

LAW should not be part of *this* situation.

When someone, however, takes advantage of a youngster, preens them to be permissive, then throw the god damned book at them. THAT is the purest form of disgust,

But 2 young people under the age, fooling around, no inhibitions, no deleriants, just hormones, and both in agreement, to charge either is wrong.

They don't need punishment, they need guidance. PARENTAL guidance, and if thats not an option, then the kids were at risk of a lot more than having a shag. Someone needs to step in and look after them.

THIS case however, is of an old man, plying a kid with deleriants in order to have sex.

A bullet seems so simple a solutuion - who's to say the places he was exiled to did not sufer an increase in child sexual assault while he was there.

Pathetic miscreant of a human this man...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheColdDragon
reply to post by AmethystSD

Alright, idiot... what part of "There are laws for Rape" did you not understand? Statutory rape is a layer of law on TOP of the rest of the law, Statutory rape exists for appeasing the angry people who willingly had sex and then later decided they were taken advantage of OR parents who are angry that their fifteen year old is doinking a thirty year old guy.

Statutory Rape, as a law, should be repealed. We already have laws about coercion, rape, force and violent crimes. There is no reason to create some societal stigma against teens having sex with people older than teens.

Everyone is okay with Teens having sex with teens (Not saying its encouraged, only that people don't fly off the handle when it happens), but as soon as one of the parties is OLDER than the other one, it becomes a societal no no.

That is what makes me sick.

This Polanski guy? He raped a girl. He raped her because she was coerced and forced into having sex with him due to his authority over her.

I was defending Whoopi's stance on not jumping into things you "THINK" but commenting on what actually HAPPENED.

It's not good when you have to resort to name calling to defend your argument. Whoopi's stance holds no water, Polanski admitted to the crime. Whether you want to get into the intricacies of "what happened" is pointless, he's guilty by his own admission. And it IS a crime to drug and rape a minor, as it should be.

As far as what Whoopi or a bunch of Hollywood performers think, who cares? Why should their opinions be taken more seriously than anyone else just because they happen to have a career that affords them more exposure? They're behind him because of who he is. If he were an ordinary guy he would never have had the backing of the Hollywood elite like this. THAT is the true issue. He's being protected and defended because of who he is regardless of the fact that he himself admitted his guilt.

[edit on 1-10-2009 by Orion65]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by factfinder44

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I wast surprised to see Woody Allen mentioned on the list.
What I don't understand, is why he 'escaped' the case for so long.
Just because the case is old, doesn't change what he did at the time.
And how did the authoroties not find him?!
Sounds fishy to me.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Whoopi may not think its rape rape but that sure as hell makes her a dumb dumb!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
While both are wrong, there IS a difference between "rape" and "statutory rape".

Some people may think all "statutory rapists" are "rapists" (which is not entirely correct imo), but it is irrefutably incorrect to state that all "rapists" are "statutory rapists"

Both are negative forms of behaviour that leave the victim with mental and physical wounds. But you must be careful who you call a "paedophile" and "rapist" because you could destroy the reputation of somebody who is not actually guilty of either.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I think he and his "buddies" should all be sent to Israel, and leave the decent humans amoung us alone.

I hope this helps wake people up to the evil standing right in front of us disguised as "talented and gifted" people. The whole Hollywood elite are the most racist, look after their own at any cost, bottom feeders you can get.

They have always prayed on the weak and always will.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I have just one question for woopie,

If you don't think it was rape, Do you have any 13 year old girls you want to leave with me?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Yep, Whoopi needs to make sure her next endeavor is NOT putting herself out as an advocate for women. She'll find out what disdain this particular comment has brought upon her.

And I say that admitting that historically, even when others felt Whoopi was way out of line with certain comments about political issues, politicians, etc. I actually supported her right to speak her opinion on those issues (because she has the right just like all of us do).

But this comment - shows what a friggin idiot she is. She's got the right to be that as well, but she needs to understand once she steps up and and works hard to earn that label, there's not much turning back.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56
Whoopi says its not "rape-rape"

:shk: That's the mentality of those on 'The View' and those that watch it.
A while back I started a thread in the 'RANT' section of BTS about 'The View'.
I went looking for it to link to here but couldn't find it.
It's a mindless show. Pretty damn dumb ...

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
[...]
Anyway, please don't flame me. I'm feeling sensitive about that 18 year old woman that did all those terrible things to me when I was 14.

[edit on 30/9/09 by John Matrix]

Please read the bottom of this post.

Originally posted by Valhall
Yep, Whoopi needs to make sure her next endeavor is NOT putting herself out as an advocate for women. She'll find out what disdain this particular comment has brought upon her.

And I say that admitting that historically, even when others felt Whoopi was way out of line with certain comments about political issues, politicians, etc. I actually supported her right to speak her opinion on those issues (because she has the right just like all of us do).

But this comment - shows what a friggin idiot she is. She's got the right to be that as well, but she needs to understand once she steps up and and works hard to earn that label, there's not much turning back.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by Valhall]

Can you step off your moral high horse for one minute and actually think about what she said? There is a reason why "statutory" is placed in front of "rape". They have different meanings and implications.

Anyone confused by the distinction, here is a definition of both courtesy of Dictionary.reference.com:

Rape
–noun
1. the unlawful compelling of a woman through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.
[...]

Statutory Rape
–noun U.S. Law.
sexual intercourse with a girl under the age of consent, which age varies in different states.

--------------------------------

Does anyone notice something strange with the second definition?

[edit on 1/10/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by muggl3z
Anyone who tries to lessen or defend what that guy did is showing their colors as pretty sick.

Such a mindset reminds me of the Salem witch trials. Anyone who defended an accused, was risking the very real danger of being burnt, crushed, drowned with the dependent.

Talk about the dangers of mob mentality. I can see you're new here, but you'll fit right in with the other hypocrites that espouse "free speech" and then lambaste anyone who dares to differ.

The actions of this thread so far makes me just as sick as alleged actions of Polanski.

Pass the Coal oil and get some rope!

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by Keyhole

[SARCASM]OOOH, over 100 people in the film industry think he should be released!!!

That's 100+ people that should be on some sort of watch list if they think he should be released. If these people think what he did was ok, then....

Just sayin'

Wow did you just support a watch list?

Welcome to Germany ala ATS

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by dizzie56

You know what this means?

Boycott the view. These morons really do bother me. What is their definition of rape? Apparently in their opinion being forced into sexual intercourse after being drugged by an older man does not count for rape.

I don't think every one of the people on the view supported Whoopi on this assertion of hers.

The view shows all sorts of "views"... I think boycotting that is pretty well not going to prove anything... remember Elizabeth Hasselbeck is on there as well holding up the other side.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join