It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church can reject gays, single mums for employment

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
A Muslim school wouldn't employ gays or unwed mothers either, especially if they weren't Muslim.
The Catholic Church allows kids of all denominations as students without any discrimination. So I think they are more modern in their approach than some other orthodox religions.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Almost every single one has a sign along the lines of "The Lord welcomes all to enter and pray before Him..."

So? They are a church, that makes them virtually obliged to put words in Jesus' mouth then display it outside. What they wouldn't put up outside, except for the very most extremist churches, is what they overtly or covertly detest and condemn. That's just "lipservice", something most church goers could go pro at.

Some of the most two-faced people I know can be found at a sunday service somewhere... Gossiping no doubt.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Okay,

This supports my views about all churches.

Churches are not about religion, they are about money, which equals Mammon, the opposite of Jesus.

I believe that churches are evil and corrupt.

I think people have to get back down to basics, or face the end.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Well. I have been a christian for many years. I've gone to many churches like you. What they have in common is the hatred toward homosexuality. Some may pay lip service and "welcome" some in their churches but that is in hope of "winning" their soul. It's like a trophy for those people.

No I have not been misinformed. In fact, I've been to several churches where they wish homosexuals would be punished and imprisoned.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

As a believer in Christ, as I am - He would never put up with that.

And I have a feeling that Jesus would not put up with any church, full of hypocrites as are they all.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by habfan1968
I have never been to a health club in Australia so I cannot comment on how the culture is there.

I have many, probably 10% of my clientele are Muslim, another 5% are openly gay. I have lesbian clients, single moms etc.. however My income depends on the majority of my clients who are, well, not any of those types of people so I hire people that would cater to the majority of my customers. It is a private business and while I do not hire these types of people I do not discourage any of them from joining the club. I do however, disagree with the notion that I should change how I run my business to observe some one else's religion. I am Catholic but the club is open on Christmas and Easter, I work the club myself those days.

Ok but given that you have a choice of two people. One is a hard working muslim with a wealth of experience and a proven hard workwer, well spoken and well presented, and you the other candidate is a white man, who has no experience in your field of work, and he has a criminal record for petty theft from the last job he was at.

Who would you hire given those 2 choices?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

As a believer in Christ, as I am - He would never put up with that.

And I have a feeling that Jesus would not put up with any church, full of hypocrites as are they all.

I love how virtually all Christians believe this about virtually all other Christians. I find it very telling that the religion continues to splinter into denominations as original thought becomes more common.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Well, I have to say durrrrrr

Appoint the muslim, now.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Appoint the muslim, now.

Ah but you see, the person I was talking to would not hire a muslim as he claims it would be detrimental to his business. Although he also claims he is not racist as well. This is why I asked him this question.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard
[mo

Christian churches are always full of people who think it matters to be seen there - the ultimate hypocrites.

Catholic churches are full of people who have been instillled in guilt.

The rest - I don't know - some kind of guilt obviously.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Christian churches are always full of people who think it matters to be seen there - the ultimate hypocrites.
Always.

The rest - I don't know - some kind of guilt obviously.
Obviously.

Kinda demonstrates my point.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Yes, churches suck big time.

But Jesus is great.

These are my opinions.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Yes, churches suck big time.

But Jesus is great.

These are my opinions.

Yes, you've made it abundantly clear.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I actually cannot be bothered anymore. These threads draw out the same responses over and over and people just never agree. Everyone thinks their view is the truth and most logical and just cannot imagine being on the other side of the fence.

In short: I'm wrong, you're right. What I say is wrong, what you say is right.

Have fun trying to discover truth when you are always looking to find middle ground.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

Eureka! You get it! I was starting to wonder if anyone ever would...

You cannot remove discrimination form the private (non-governmental) sector, and probably not completely from government. It simply doesn't work that way. Companies (including churches) do not exist in order to provide jobs; they provide jobs where they deem necessary in order to exist.

I have hired (and fired) many a person in my day. I have turned down black men who came to my door with the head-bobbing thing and the baggy pants and the ebonics, because I was running a professional business; my customers did not expect to nor want to see that any ore than I did. I have hired blacks who showed up well-dressed with a good attitude. I have turned away women who seemed to have a chip on their shoulder about trying to find a sexual harassment suit; I have offered jobs normally not performed by women to women, based on their seeming willingness to try as hard as a man.

It all depends on the job and whether or not the applicant will be able to do the job, not just due to qualifications, but also due to social expectations. That's why I disagree with hiring discrimination laws so vehemently. No regulation can determine whether an applicant will be able to perform their function to the benefit of the clientele of a company the way a supervisor or owner can.

Plus, there is a principle at stake. It's MY business; I created it, I worked the long hard hours to get it moving, I poured sweat and blood and pain into making it successful, I took the risks, I paid the price... I WILL MAKE THE DECISIONS! Anyone else who wants to tell me how to run it can just go suck on an egg.

That includes any politician who doesn't get it.

But church schools are another divisive, elitist thing that in the end of the day educates your child, but so does the public system

That's why both my children went to public schools here. Sure, they might have had an easier time in a private school, but they would not have had the exposure to societal pressures they gained this way. There is more to life than what is written in a book.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
keep goverment policy out of the church simple .
why would god fearing christians .muslims want that when it is writen in their religion to avoid such people ,help them but stay well back sort of because it is wrong the books say as much so you carnt believe the bits you like and say the rest is wrong in my opinion.

i believe in god but have not been to church in 20 yrs but i am thinking about returning to the fold as i watch this world go more and more down hill.

infact i know there is a god as i have had 2 nde

[edit on 27-9-2009 by dashar]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by spellbound

Appoint the muslim, now.

Ah but you see, the person I was talking to would not hire a muslim as he claims it would be detrimental to his business. Although he also claims he is not racist as well. This is why I asked him this question.

I also pointed other people I would not hire as well as a muslim example why are you focusing just on the muslim part?

any true muslim has to go pray 5 times a day and would disrupt the service to my clients and if you think i am wrong, I have had muslim men working for me in the past and it is disruptive. Sorry but the racist argument does not apply here at all. I have to stay in my demographic to be competitive in the market I am in. Muslim is not a race it's a religion and not my preference. Go ahead and practice your religion but not on my dime.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by habfan1968
As an employer I will never hire a Muslim person because it will disrupt my business.

I thought you were not racist?

Seriously? What race are Catholics? What race is a Christian? You're assigning the attribute of a race to a religion. Islam is not a race, thus you can't be a racist for not hiring a Muslim.

Also I would like to point out the obvious psychological leverage being used in the title of this thread. Please note the paring of one group (homosexuals) with the other (single mothers) in an attempt to gain pity from those who sympathize with group B. You heard it here folks. If you don't take pity on homosexuals, then you obviously hate single mothers.

Personally I like my tripe served on a plate by itself, not with the dessert.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It's the church's right to do so as a private entity that is in an entirely different field than a regular business. I agree with the church on not letting homosexuals work for them because that is against their God's teaching, however, the single mothers thing, thats a little disgusting because honestly, if anyone needs work, its a single mother and the church should really understand that. I mean, maybe she was married, and then got a divorce cuz her husband beat her, or maybe she just had a kid out of wedlock. But honestly, churches themselves are hypocritical the pastor probably cornholes little boys in the pulpits

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Being gay or being a single mom are two things that go against the beliefs of this organization. They have every right to say who is employed there. Do you want people you don't like or agree with coming into your house or place of business? If you were a business owner, would you want to be forced to hire whoever walked through the door or the person you wanted?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join