It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church can reject gays, single mums for employment

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

You misunderstand me - I am not against Christians, I am anti church, because I believe that the original church of Christ has become something entirely different.

I think churches have become businesses run by corrupt people.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

You misunderstand me - I am not against Christians, I am anti church, because I believe that the original church of Christ has become something entirely different.

I think churches have become businesses run by corrupt people.

But when everyone has a different take on what the church of Christ is or should be, people disagree and make lots of denominations. Your idea isn't anymore valid than theirs.

And yea, I think religion has been about money for a long long time. Even as a christian, I abandoned the concept of church because it can only get in the way. That's not to mention tithing.

[edit on 29-9-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

OK, I think Christ has stepped right out of every church.

That is what I meant.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

OK, I think Christ has stepped right out of every church.

That is what I meant.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
You are probably right !!!!!!!!!!

Jesus was a Jew, but he spoke of the Synagogue of Satan, and had nothing but contempt for the temple money changers, scribes, and pharisees.

I am sure if Jesus was here today in human form, he would absolutely freak out if he watched some of the TV evangelists begging for money.

Go direct "to the Man"

Pray direct to GOD, and give the organized churches a big miss IMHO.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Come on this is absolutely ridiculous. Really now? How can people think something like this is right and not be emabaressed of themselves for it. Its a shame their really is people like this who think these things these days. We should have came farther than this as a human race and we just keep taking steps backward.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Im not christian but this does make sense to me. Their church does not approve of homosexuals so they do not let them work there. If you were gay why would you want to work for a group that detests you? It is like a conflict of interest. Starbucks will not employ you if they find out you are also working at a local coffee place.
If you want to fight for your rights you should pick your battles.
The whole thing is kinda funny. When any public official in america makes any reference to God people scream about the "seperation of church and state". When the church does something does what it wants its "someone should stope them that's illegal". You really can't have it both ways.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

If that bum had the neccesary

skills and had good morals why wouldn't I hire him?? Not all bums are

drunks you know. I would infact rather hire that bum than a person who

already has everything.

I don't know why you wouldn't hire him, nut I know why I wouldn't.

In the first place, he probably stinks from a lack of hygiene. Whether or npot that is his fault is irrelevant; I will not try to force my customers to deal with that.

Secondly, if he has marketable skills, why is he living as a bum? There is no reason why anyone with a good work ethic cannot find something to do. The problem with unemployment right now, even in these hard times, is less of not being able to find a job, but more that the available jobs are low-paying (minimum wage) grunt work and usually part-time. So either he is too lazy or prideful to do what is necessary to try and support himself, or he can't find/keep a job for some reason.

Thirdly, while it is true that not all bums are drunks, most are. So by hiring him, I am taking odds that would make a bookie kill over that this guy is not going to show up at work drunk or stoned (or worse, steal from me in order to buy more booze/drugs).

Nope, I'm not taking that chance. I'll wait for him to knock on my door and tell me his story. you go right ahead and hire bums off the side of the road and let me know how that turns out.

Are you stating that employers should be somehow required to hire any bum that they see sitting under a bridge? Or is your 'enlightenment' limited to gays and single mothers?

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Originally posted by TheRedneck

Saying that he stinks for lack of hygiene is a senseless argument as he could simply take a bath.

I didn't realise it was that easy to get a job, I'm used to living in a dog eat dog world, seems you are having a different experience. There are lots of people with marketable skills that live as bums, infact we recently helped a "bum" that lost his legs to get a job as a security guard. He now monitors surveilance cameras in a security complex.

You do realise that you are comparing christians to bums right??

Are bums the only drunks on the planet, I thought that by hiring any person you would be taking a gamble on some level or another. Do you just ask people straight up if they are drunk during interviews, or whether they steal...off course not!

I haven't stated anything, I merely pointed out that there should equal rights.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Saying that he stinks for lack of hygiene is a senseless argument as he could simply take a bath.

Not senseless. Could have is a far cry from Did.

I didn't realise it was that easy to get a job, I'm used to living in a dog eat dog world, seems you are having a different experience. There are lots of people with marketable skills that live as bums, infact we recently helped a "bum" that lost his legs to get a job as a security guard. He now monitors surveilance cameras in a security complex.

First, congratulations on helping that security guard. I commend your actions.

It's very difficult right now to get a decent job, defined as one which allows one to maintain their standard of living and be treated well. But I will take any job when it is necessary to feed myself and my family.

Every single fast-food restaurant in this area has job openings right now.

You do realise that you are comparing christians to bums right??

Gah, and here I thought I was comparing people to people.

Are bums the only drunks on the planet,

No, but I consider all 'drunks' to be bums, some just not immediately recognizable as such. I do not consider anyone who drinks to be a drunk, btw, so let's not go down that road. I define 'drunk' as someone who drinks regardless of the appropriateness of the situation and without regard to personal responsibilities.

I thought that by hiring any person you would be taking a gamble on some level or another.

Exactly correct. However, if you are in Vegas playing poker, do you draw tio an inside straight or go with the pair in your hand? After all, both are risks.

There is nothing nonsensical about minimizing those risks.

Do you just ask people straight up if they are drunk during interviews, or whether they steal...off course not!

Drunk, I don't have to ask.
Stoned, I don't have to ask.
Stealing, yes I do! It's called a 'background check' and a part of every interview I have (regardless of what side of the desk I am sitting on).

I also mention my no-tolerance policy towards thieves.

I haven't stated anything, I merely pointed out that there should equal rights.

So you are stating that employment in the job of your choice is a right, then?

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

Every single fast-food restaurant in this area has job openings right now.

Could this be due to the fact that they discriminate against Christians or bums??

Gah, and here I thought I was comparing people to people.

So you view/treat all people the same?? Im confused because earlier you mentioned that you wouldn't hire a bum?? Who infact is a PEOPLE?

So you are stating that employment in the job of your choice is a right, then?

TheRedneck

No, it is always the employers decision. My argument however is that whether you are a Christian or not can't possibly affect your work, the two have nothing to do with each other. If someone denied me a job because I belong to a certain religious group I would see that as discrimination. They would have to give you a reasonable excuse and religioun or sexual preferance isn't one.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So you view/treat all people the same??

No, I judge all people by the same standards. There is a difference.

No, it is always the employers decision.

Methinks you are arguing in circles. That is all I am trying to say, the decision is up to the employer. Whether or not you or I argee is irrelevant, unless we are doing the hiring.

Circular logic is funny. One can start out opposing a position, then change their opposition a little at a time as fallacies in their logic are exposed, eventually coming to rest on the other side of the argument. I do believe that is what you have done.

If you believe it is the employers decision, we are in complete agreement and have nothing else to debate. Good talking to you and I'm glad you see things my way.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Maybe you should have read a bit further before you started typing. It is and will always be the employers decision whether or not he would like to hire a person.

But not hiring them because of their religioun or sexual preferance is WRONG... plain and simple! I never argued anything else, maybe you just have selective reading or don't understand my point.

Great talk thanks

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Churches are businesses run by men. They are not God's living room.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I suppose a gay, one legged tranny with 6 kids, single parent with a taste for vicars is out the quetion then?

And here "she" is, comming to a baptist church near you x

Im off to work!!

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Selahobed

"I am a lady, you see."

What a brilliant series.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Do you think its ok for the Muslims to discriminate against women? Do you think a Jewish Temple will hire Devout Catholics to run the inner workings of its temple?

We all discriminate, where we eat, what we watch, etc.

I have the freedom to choose whom I will associate with. If I run a business, church based or otherwise, I will discriminate. I will not hire sex offenders or people who may be a threat to children. I will not hire someone who demonstrates he/she is not competent at the job.

I don't have to like everybody and to be forced to do so then denies me my freedom. If you don't like a way a business or church does what they do, build a better one, but don't deny them their rights and then complain that yours are being taken.

The Constittuion does not say I have to like you or hire you, it does say I have freedom of speech and freedom of religion and that the exercise thereof is not to be interfered with.

When the day comes when we all naturally just live peacefully together, we will no longer debate this. But as long as we use the labels we will have this issue. Until then remember that the right you take from another may be the right you also lose.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
As a life-long church goer myself I can understand why churches would not wish to hire gays. As for single mothers... it would depend on the situation. If the woman is just a "baby momma" and has never been married and is not interested in doing so then the church should have the right not to hire her. If the woman had been married and due to circumstances beyond her control is no longer married, then she should be given equal opportunity as any other person.

Ya know, it's funny. When a public school dares to call the CHRISTMAS holidays by their true name, the ACLU throws a fit and starts screaming. BUT when a church exercises it's right to separation of church and state... we get topics like this.

Please explain to me why a church should be forced to hire someone that, by the very life they live, goes against what the church stands for.
No organization in any media would hire someone that would make their company look bad. In the job world you have to dress a certain way and conduct yourself as if you know what manners are.

The church employment world is no different. If I knew that a church I was interested in attending had, for instance, a gay secretary or a gay pastor, I would not go there. (And no, I am not being homophobic, I simply view homosexuality as a sin. No one that proudly sins should be staff of a church. This covers all sins. The staff of a church should appear to be blameless.)

The church should have the right to set their own by-laws and to not employ someone that does not meet the standards of employment.

By the by... my Mother is a church secretary at my childhood home-church. I know what I am talking about here...

[edit on 8-10-2009 by sisgood]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join