It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Church can reject gays, single mums for employment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I am not a Catholic, but I fail to see why the Church cannot choose to employ whoever is most suitable for the job.

Employment is not a right, but something you have to show you are worthy of to your prospective employer..

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I just dont understand how they think they are all high and mighty, yet they dont tolerate equality between people

My opinion is that they get the teachings twisted. From my experiences and studying I believe that if you are going to call yourself a good “Christian” the high and mighty better than you attitude should be the first thing to go.

The good “Christians” are supposed to be selfless and out to reach and help as many people as they can not for any reward but because it’s the right thing to do.

A lot of ‘Christians” get to where they believe in God and they are done. All those who do not believe are lower than dirt and as far as they are concerned they can stat that way.

I haven’t decided if it’s funny or sad the way they act yet.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
I am not a Catholic, but I fail to see why the Church cannot choose to employ whoever is most suitable for the job.

Employment is not a right, but something you have to show you are worthy of to your prospective employer..

And doing accounting, or secretarial work etc in secualr jobs....you arent less qualified depending where choose to place your private bits.
Nor if you have a child you need to support. How does this preclude one from stapling or using a calculator?

EEO is the law, if you advertise for the role, and the most qualified person who applies is gay or a single mother, and you reject them for the position, you are breaking the law.
You will be sued.
And censured,
and rightly so.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Under the changes, religious groups will no longer be able to discriminate on the grounds of race, disability, age, physical features, political belief or breastfeeding.

But they can continue to discriminate on grounds including sexuality or marital status if it is in accordance with their beliefs

Seems like a little `horse-trading` took place.

I suppose they have a certain `product` they wish to sell , and single moms and homosexuals are pulling in the opposite direction.

IMHO it is seriously short-sighted by the church , an opportunity gone a begging .

[edit on 26-9-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
My opinion is that they get the teachings twisted. From my experiences and studying I believe that if you are going to call yourself a good “Christian” the high and mighty better than you attitude should be the first thing to go.

Yes that right, but sadly for many of them, they fail to see this

The good “Christians” are supposed to be selfless and out to reach and help as many people as they can not for any reward but because it’s the right thing to do.

There are many good christians out there, and on ATS too. I do think they do some fanatastic things like helping the homeless, and the salvation army stuff etc. But when they start preaching and trying to convert people, and call people "evil" or "bad" because they are different, that where the problem lies.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The most qualified person, may not be the most suitable for a particular job.

Age and gender may come into it for example.

A professional football team may not want an eighty year old woman as captain or coach.. She may have a PHD in football theory, but still be unsuitable.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

But when they start preaching and trying to convert people, and call people "evil" or "bad" because they are different, that where the problem lies.

Agreed, if know one wants to hear what you are saying then it's time to drop it and move on somewhere else or on to another subject in general.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
[Seems like a little `horse-trading` took place.

I suppose they have a certain `product` they wish to sell , and single moms and homosexuals are pulling in the opposite direction.

Yeah

I think its called Catholicism

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
[Seems like a little `horse-trading` took place.

Yeah

I think its called Catholicism

I`ve done the blind taste challenge ....... and they all taste the same to me. Sickeningly sweet at first with an extremely bitter after taste .

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Would the World of Atheists, Inc hire a Christian?

Would the Abortions-R-Us, Inc hire a Christian?

Would the SatanicsAtYourService,Inc hire a Christian?

Of course they wouldn't - so why do you expect Christians
should hire non Christians?

p.s. The non believing society should stop trying to make Christians into their own proverbial punching bags.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by nomorecruelty]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Church can reject gays, single mums for employment

Being gay is not a right until someone can prove it's something you're born with. I can see how a church might not want to hire someone who openly breaks the rules of their faith. Your sexuality does not trump other's rights of religious freedom.

The single mother issue is another story. I think that would be on a case by case basis.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
[Being gay is not a right until someone can prove it's something you're born with. I can see how a church might not want to hire someone who openly breaks the rules of their faith. Your sexuality does not trump other's rights of religious freedom.

In saying that, ones religious freedom does not trump ones sexual preference. (by the way, in case you got the wrong impression, i am straight, not gay)

I think gay people have the right to be who they are....nobody but religious sects and non religious morons seem to be the ones threatened by them. I mean religious people that follow god follow the same basic rules as normal religious people...why should they be segregated into a different class.

Just out of interest, can anyone enlighten us non-religious people about where, in plain language, it says in the bible where homosexuality is wrong? Just curious thats all

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

check out leviticus, you can also kill your neighbour for wearing the wrong cotton blends, murder your children and so on....

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Yes it is Leviticus 22

"And you must not lie down with a male the same as lie down with a female, it is a DETESTABLE THING"..

And it continues on about bestiality, incest, and other abnormal sex.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

As other posters have stated, the positions may not related directly to religious activities. It is fair for the Catholic Church to require their priests be Catholic just as it is fair for the Church of Elvis to require their ministers to be members of the Church of Elvis.

Churches, like the Catholic Church, often engage in a activities that secular organizations and businesses engage in. Churches engage in secular activities like: running schools and colleges, real estate development ventures, buying and selling securities, and running hospitals. It is wrong for a church to deny employment to a doctor at a a hospital on account of his or her religion or sexual orientation or for a church to deny employment to a professor because of his or her religion or sexual orientation.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Romans, in the New Testament, also mentions homosexuality.

You can see proof of what God did to two cities for their sexual sins ......

here

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

If secular people want to attend a church, that's great, and their choice. But that still doesn't mean that the church has to hire any person, if they choose not to, for whatever reason they choose not to. Unless it discriminates them against race, religion, blah blah blah .

Sexual orientation wouldn't be covered unless the church is in a state that covers it.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
We're pretty much talking about how a specific church operates itself and who they choose to employ to most benefit their purpose.. purpose being their religious faiths and beliefs.. which is fine, and they can operate themselves anyway they choose.

If you want to come here and tell me that "the church" can't have "delegates" or "employees" in the government sector who's sole purpose is to "change the laws", then I would agree with you. Separation of Church and State...

However, that's not what we're talking about here. Now, don't get me wrong.. "the church" definitely does reach it's fingers into too many places, where they shouldn't be.. but why bother with them with what they do on their own? For example, if a certain church wants to Only employ white single males and will not hire anyone else.. so be it. I don't care one bit, their business, not mine.

There are too many agendas involved in this. I definitely don't agree with most of what various church organizations say, or do, but I certainly don't agree with most "freedom of certain rights" groups either. I can see what will happen if separation of church and state is literally dismantled. Nothing but bad will come of it, for a long time.

This all started with the notion that gays can't marry... but what is it now, exactly? It's turned into just a simple.. "Screw the Church anyway possible" type of battle. We've started to combine all these issues into one giant amorphous unidentifiable mass of issues and problems, and we just keep adding more crap into it. We either aim and throw it straight at the church, or we aim and throw it straight at gays, or anything for that matter. It's no longer about any sort of freedoms, it's just destroy the church or destroy gays.

It is becoming a problem, and it's no longer about personal rights of citizens. It is a scapegoat, it is a taboo, it is a great big giant coin that people use to pull out of your ear to make you look the other way.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
People should actually "read" the Constitution - that entire "Separation of Church and State" phrase isn't even mentioned in there.

The atheists/aclu peeps I think are the ones that started that rumor - why? To further their agenda of course.

Another example of how mankind can make a false statement and the entire herd of sheep follow right along behind.

Baaaa.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by nomorecruelty]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nomorecruelty

With all due respect, you missed the point of my post. These people are not necessarily working within the church, but could be working for a secular activity that the church happens to be engaged in.

I cannot speak about Canadian law, but under US law churches get to engage in many secular activities like real estate ventures tax free. It would be an extra slap in the face if churches in Canada got similar favorable treatment and were allowed to discriminate as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join