It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
In my personal opinion if asked to choose between god or aliens existing i would say aliens.

For one thing to prove gods existance is harder to prove as i think one day there will be a time when we come in contact with E.T's.

To tell the truth i dont belive in God but the universe is to be explored. So i think aliens are more likely to be amongst as rather than a god

Rynaldo

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 06:29 AM
link   
rynaldo82
But then who made the universe and the aliens?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Yngwie
Yes, it is great to have faith. When I look at all of creation, I simply have to believe. Even with everything that's gone wrong in our world, it's still a remarkable place.
CS

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If someone says aliens, doesn't that by default say they are an atheist?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
After having read many posts on religious conspiracies and aliens, I've noticed a number of things. First of all, we seem to have a large nummber of atheists on ATS. Second, there's a lot of speculation that God is really an alien. Third, many people, atheists included, find it easier to believe all sorts of bizarre stories about aliens yet can't seem to simply believe in God without putting some twist on it.

And that is my question. Why? If God is an alien, then who created him? If there is no God, why do some choose to beleive that the human race was placed on earth by a bunch of reptiles from another galaxy? Who created the reptiles and their galaxy? there is certainly less "evidence" to support that notion than simply believing in God. At least there's the Bible to support that traditional belief.

In any event, I'm looking forward to reading well thought out accounts of the reasons behind many of the beliefs that I question.

Thanks!

Finally posting... Aliens...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Just FYI. This thread is now in the top 10 all time replied threads list at #9.

Way to go. Keep it going.

I have already offered my contribution to this thread so I will say bonne chance. (good luck)

Nutzo

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlterEgo
rynaldo82
But then who made the universe and the aliens?

Erm...good question lol. I think the same thing applies to god though. Who created god?

I cant prove am right but i think scientific theories such as the big bang (i think thats getting stick these days?) and another 1 i heard, i might be getting tottaly mixed up but i think i read some1 saying that he/she though the universe started from a black hole. And if we exist its perfectlly logically for other life forms to exist too. Maybe they aint here on our solar system but the universe ever expanding theres bound to be life out there somewhere.

Its a good discusion though

Keep up the good work everyone

Rynaldo

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The big bang is an interesting theory, but the question remains. Who or what caused the big bang?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Despite postings here that state otherwise, I'm seeing some rather dogmatic points of view in this thread.

To answer the original question about which is easier to believe in, God or aliens - for me, it's aliens. I'm sick of being told that I have to have FAITH. I'm an agnostic, so what the hell.

I'm not denying the existence of something that may have brought this all about. Countless scholars & scientists have researched this for centuries/millenia - & they don't seem to have come to any firm conclusion yet, and I certainly can't add to their findings.

There are other theories about our "creation" that point to the "seeding" of our planet at different times, millions of years apart, that gradually caused the evolution of different species. Whether this is true, or going a step further, whether this was done by extra-terrestrials, I have no idea, & frankly don't care - I leave this kind of research to the experts/geophysicists, whatever.

So that brings me to the next part. The reason I'd find it easier to believe in aliens is quite simple. If they do exist, well at least they don't require me to believe in their existence on faith alone. Evidently God does [if he/she/it exists] - and so do some of you.

Now I'm not knocking faith, not for one minute. I envy those who have it, and that's no lie. In my lifetime, I've witnessed & experienced some extraordinary happenings that would lend themselves to various explanations, depending on whether you believe in God, aliens, the paranormal, etc.

The way I see the belief in God point of view is this. If there IS a God, then he/she/it made me the way I am, so the responsibility lies with him/her/it - so bring it on God, make me a believer if it's that important to you. Bring on whatever it takes, the angel or the burning bush, it's your call.

Then I shall believe.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bastet
If there IS a God, then he/she/it made me the way I am, so the responsibility lies with him/her/it - so bring it on God, make me a believer if it's that important to you. Bring on whatever it takes, the angel or the burning bush, it's your call.

Bastet,
I read your post and very much appreciate it. It sounds like there may be some things that have happened in your life that have jaded your perspective. We must be open to God's desire to work within us. That simply means being open minded.
CS

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I definitely am open-minded, and all the folk who know me agree with that. Somehow I get the impression that you think otherwise, which gives me the impression that you're being a little dogmatic here - correct me if I'm wrong.

Nowhere have I cast aspersions on people who have your faith. In fact, I said that I envy them their faith because, apart from its being a beautiful quality to possess, it would make life much simpler. In my younger days, I actually prayed to have faith, many many times. It never came, but them's the breaks.

So now it's got to the stage that when I do think of faith [which isn't very often, apart from discussions like these - which I seldom participate in], I tend to get a little cheesed off on the occasions when I'm told that I SHOULD have faith. I'm not saying that you did this, I'm just clarifying my own point of view.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here's a link that ties a lot of theories and beliefs together and is interesting to listen to. It's down loadable mp3 research commentary. They talk about Nephilm as well.

www.khouse.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Interesting after a quick look [for now], GildedHammer.

Slight problem for me though, at the Nephilim page. It's all based on interpretations of Bible texts. Well, there are a myriad of suchlike interpretations, & as I don't intend to spend my life comparing these, who would I believe. Furthermore, all the eminent scholars, theologians & doctors of divinity don't seem to have reached a consensus either.

Another thing - the Bible, the word of God, is made up of many books, & I doubt that they're eyewitness accounts. Furthermore, they've been variously translated from their original fragments [written in Sanskrit? Aramaic?] to Hebrew, Greek, Latin & English. That old chestnut comes to mind - how the message "The army is going to advance - send reinforcements", became garbled into "The army is going to a dance. Send three and fourpence."

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Bastet:

I guess the question here isn't so much if you have any faith as it is do you think there exists a greater entity beyond here? Do you think life for us 'spiritually' ends after death?

As for the faith issue, both the existence of God AND the existence of aliens require faith at the moment, since neither have been proven or disproven. Aliens naturally sound like something that can be easily proven since they would exist physically in our realm, but God can't ever be proved to exist, since he's in another realm. Hence I see the reasoning behind your conclusion.

I would just like to point out that as of right now, faith is all any of us have for either choice.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
TheBorg, I'm open to the idea of a creative force or even a creator. That is my truthful answer to your direct question, and though I feel you may not find it satisfactory, it's the best I can do.

Agnostic - one who does not know. And I very much doubt I ever will. .As to whether we decay into nothingness after death, again I do not know.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Interesting after a quick look [for now], GildedHammer.

Slight problem for me though, at the Nephilim page. It's all based on interpretations of Bible texts. Well, there are a myriad of suchlike interpretations, & as I don't intend to spend my life comparing these, who would I believe. Furthermore, all the eminent scholars, theologians & doctors of divinity don't seem to have reached a consensus either.

Will they ever come to a censensus on any subject on this board?

Thanks for your reply:
For fun check this guys bio out. He must have some truths in his theories?
www.khouse.org...

Cheers

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   
OK, he's found his version of the truth, it's helped him re-build his life, & they lived happily ever after. I really am happy for him, perhaps a tiny bit envious, and I'm not trying to be flip or cynical. I just don't see how their experiences relate to me at all.

My lack of belief doesn't trouble me any more, though it used to once. If there is a heaven & hell, and I'm hereby damned and going to hell, well so be it. There's a book by Ashleigh Brilliant that almost sums it up for me - "I have abandoned my search for truth, and am now looking for a good fantasy".

Far as I'm, concerned, life's too short for the truth quest. Other times, life's just too damn long!

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

TheBorg, I'm open to the idea of a creative force or even a creator. That is my truthful answer to your direct question, and though I feel you may not find it satisfactory, it's the best I can do.

Agnostic - one who does not know. And I very much doubt I ever will. .As to whether we decay into nothingness after death, again I do not know.

It was quite satisfactory, and I think it makes a valuable point. The point that not knowing something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Simply put, I have faith, as I think all do whether they call it that or not, that aliens exist, just as I have faith that God exists.

I actually think that proving one also proves the other in that we would then see that the "randomness" of the universe isn't so random after all. It would then illustrate how truly narrow-minded people are.

Let me give an analogy. In the 1400's, before Columbus sailed to what we now know to be the West Indies, it was believed that whenever someone was to pass beyond the horizonline, they would fall off of the Earth and perish. Now we know that that's not at all true; that in fact, there's much more to the world than England knew some 600 years ago.

I think that analogy illustrates my point quite clearly. Humans are quick to judge, and slow to learn. We always have been, and yet it's what makes us so unique. We persevere in the face of disaster, and we succeed everytime. I think it's a great reminder of how strong the human "spirit" can be. Now, as to how that applies to the existence of God or aliens, it may not directly. But what it does show is that people make judgements about things way too quick, and with very little proof. We're quick to speculate and to cast aspersions on others, and slow to retract those aspersions, even when shown proof to the contrary of what we believe.

As always, I look forward to any and all criticisms.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   

So that brings me to the next part. The reason I'd find it easier to believe in aliens is quite simple. If they do exist, well at least they don't require me to believe in their existence on faith alone. Evidently God does [if he/she/it exists] - and so do some of you.

- so bring it on God, make me a believer if it's that important to you. Bring on whatever it takes, the angel or the burning bush, it's your call.

Then I shall believe.

God wants everyone to come to Him, excellent prayer. Now start reading the Bible. Do the Gospel of John first, then the other gospels then finish the New Testament, then Psalms and Proverbs, then work your way into the rest. Read each day until you feel that God has spoken to you. In addition "hear what other real christians say" Talk to God yourself thats what prayer is. Talk to Him in your own words. I don't know where your from if you have TV watch In Touch, David Jeremiah, Kaye Arthur, I can't think of another right now. Don't listen to Robert Schuller. When you get in the Bible where it tells you who Jesus is and why He came, take it seriously, and please come back with any questions that you have.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Ah but I did't say anything didn't exist - you noted that point. I don't deny the existence of either God or aliens, nor do I ridicule believers. Actually, I used to feel hurt & cheated that I hadn't been blessed with the unquestioning faith that so many others had. And I did try to achieve it, but the "seek and ye shall find" maxim just never seemed to apply in my case.
So I quit looking as I was not prepared to devote how many more years to something that I might never find.

I thank you for your graciousness in this issue. You, unlike so many others in my life, have not said once "You MUST have faith." I wish I did. Mayve it will arrive one day - but it better hurry up, cos I'm not getting any younger!

EDIT
dbrandt, I've done all this and more, many years ago. I was actually quite distressed when I realised I didn't have faith.

Now I'm just not prepared to go through all this again, all right? Not only have I read recommended passages etc, I've read the entire Bible several times. Why is it so necessary for me to have faioth in your eyes?

If you're worried about my etermal soul [?], then desist. I'll tell you something now that might make you stop. The only book in the Bible I half enjoyed was Revelation. And why? ONE - it was short and TWO - I amused myself later by wondering what on earth he was "on" cos it sure sounded like '___' or magic mushies to me.

[edit on 17/6/04 by Bastet]

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join