It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harder To Believe In - God or Aliens?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It's up to you to believe it or not, but to get a glimpse of what Aliens would think about a creator, you can check out the alleged channelings of Aliens...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Nutzo,
Good thought. Maybe I'll do that. If aliens do spend as much time thinking about God as we do, and assuming they're significantly more advanced, I would think that only supports the belief of the existence of God.
CS

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It would be interesting to hear what aliens say about God. Since they have to be of superior intelligence compared with us, their insights would be very valuable.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I feel I must make an observation at this point.

Religion, globally, is declining in power, influence and popular support. This is not a new trend - in fact, it has been happening for the last four hundred years, if not even longer. I see no reason to assume that other societies and cultures would not conform to the same evolutionary paradigm, with science and rationality supplanting religion and superstition at an analagous point in their development.

In short, I believe that if you could have a chat with an alien race which had the technology to visit Earth, you would find they had abandoned such primitivism long ago, and embraced a more cultured sense of spirituality - morality for morality's sake, not through fear of punishment or promise of reward.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
But strangeland, "morality for morality's sake" can't exist. Morality is based on a fundamental law or belief and is unchanging but, moraility can't create morality. Morality exists because morals exist. The fact is, I agree that religious beliefs appear to be declining. However, this was predicted for the end times.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
On the contrary, CS, I would contest that "morality for morality's sake" is the ultimate evolution of any religious or spiritual code of ethics.

Put simply, "I am good because I choose to be, influenced by neither pain nor promise".

What nobler declaration can there be?

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think they're separate issues. Certainly a true believer or a "good Christian" or a "good Jew" is going to be motivated by his or her desire to be good and to be in communion with their God. This is faith in it truest and purest form. Behaviour motivated by guilt or punishment is not faith or belief.

Morals exist before morality. If I want to be a good person, there is something that I must follow. This existed before me and will remain after I am gone. I cannot define good. That's predefined by the One who created everything.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Again, I must disagree (you didn't expect that, did you?
)

The only person who can decide what is good, in your position right now, is you. Codes of ethics change through the ages - what was once treason or blasphemy is now considered perfectly acceptable and indulged in live on TV. The only true morality is the one inside you, the one created by the interaction of your concious and your conscience. You don't need God to tell you what's right or wrong, and you certainly don't need the threat of eternal damnation.

My point is that ultimately, morality should be removed from the trappings of religion. No more "it's what Jesus would do", or even "it's what I should do, because the Bible says so", but simply "it's what I choose to do".

Wow, I can barely see your thread topic from here. Let's get back before the mods notice we're missing and lock the thread.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Good idea,
Guess what? still disagree
The real issue is that no one can state what is good whether for himself or others. The problem is, in one's distorted sense of reality, murder and rape may be seen as a virtue by that person. I don't think either of us would say it's right. But the real issue, how would an alien respond to this question? They must have the same issues, concerns and questions that we do.

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Ok, I've read pages 1 thru 4 and decided to post my idea...

I have something to ask you... nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed. I'm not sure this is the exact phrase, but please forgive me I translated it from french... lol. So Einstein said that if I am correct. here's the question.. An 'idea' is a transformation of what? thoughts? thoughts are a transformation of what?.. Can I say that Ideas are created out of nothing?.. they.. appear in our heads.

I hope i'll explain my thinking right lol..

So here it goes... What if, A (insert your belief here, god, almighty being, etc, further reffered as 'IT') had the idea of the universe? and that the universe is the expanding idea? the way I see it, when we have an idea a create something out of it.. a VCR, speakers, etc.. they do not poses our level of.. well, thinking..

damn it's so hard to explain lol I lack the words to express myself :\

I believe that the whole universe is an Idea, that the big bang is actually the forming of the idea... maybe it is the same process in our heads, we can create anything too.. we imagine them.. we are simply not on the same level/plane/dimension than 'IT'

I believe that the expansion of the universe is just 'IT' thinking more and more about it, thus growing in size...

If 'IT' created us, it is probably not as specific as we want to believe it.. think about the sheer size of the universe.. 'IT' decided that there would be life right here? maybe, but I think it would be extremely selfish of the Human race to think that.. we are merely 'IT' 's idea. What I am trying to point out here is that It may just have been a spark in the process, not specifically 'IT' deciding ''HUMANS SHALL LIVE ON THIS PLANET'

As you all know, this is only a fraction of my belief, it is too damn big to sort it all out on a post in a forum

In the end I'd like to point out, I do not believe that 'IT' is God or Alien.. 'IT' is... something unexplainable

Oh!! just for kicks, try to explain this... what to we refer as alien? something that is not from Earth? If God created Earth, we can assume he was there before it? right?.. therefore he is not from Earth.. That would mean He would be Alien to our world.. Then again that Being is something other than an Alien.

thanks for your reading

edited for some grammar corrections and more thoughts

[edit on 12-6-2004 by Cyclonicks]

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Cyclonics,
Your translation is fine. I agree with you that God is above all. Since He is not of this world, He could be called an alien. Since you prefer to refer to the creator as IT, I can accept that because we agree that IT is above all. I simply call Him God. I believe that we agree that IT or God or I AM, as the Bible states, is the source of all that exists. I think it's very plausible that our existence, the universe, is nothing moree than a thought or idea by God, or IT, or I AM. Am I correct in reading your post.
CS

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I look at it this way [ comming late to the table]...Who is to say God stopped with us?.....the universe is just too damm big for us to be alone........but even if there are aliens....doesnt mean God doesnt exist in another plane or dimention?sp

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
tad: That's been a long disputed point, and I think that everyone should try to keep that in mind when deciding things such as this. It makes it more difficult to come to any kind of conclusion when there is no difinitive proof for anything. Actually, come to think of it, that sounds just like the situation we're in now.

Oh well, just means that it's time to go back and rethink some stuff.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   
tad,
You answered the question. By saying "who said God stopped with us" tells us that God was first and before all.
CS

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Something must have been before god if indeed their truley is or how would have he come to be? Who made the thing that would have made god and so on? You can't just state that god created all and no one created god. It must be an ongoing thing of creation of some sort....where, when and how was the beginning? For those that answer please no bible quotes as I don't believe them.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
But that is the true mystery. Creation had to start somewhere. The "uncaused cause". The Judeo-Christian belief is that God always was and always will be.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'm sorry but I just find it harder to believe in god than I do in aliens as we call them.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I can understand that. I guess the thing I'd like to hear is your explanation of how all that is came to be. I truly mean this and am not being sarcastic. The most intriguing mystery to me is how we came to be and how incredibly fragile the balance of nature is that allows our life to exist.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I have no explanation to your question. At this time for me it is unanswerable.

posted on Jun, 13 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
The most intriguing mystery to me is how we came to be and how incredibly fragile the balance of nature is that allows our life to exist.

That can't be answered, but if out of all of the planets ours had the balance that allowed life to exist, so wouldn't you think that there might be at least one mnore planet with living conditions decent enough for aliens as we call them to exist

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join