It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have every right in the world to whoop ya kid's..PLZ start I am sick of all the punk's

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lellomackin

Well Yellowmackin for you it must have been all about the verbal abuse,
it seems to flow quite naturally. You are typical of the modern world,
Attack the person when you have no real arguement. Say it loud enough until someone starts to believe it.
Do you really think modern man is smarter than thousands of years of child raising evolution? I think not. Face it, violence is a fact of the human
condition.
Where did you grow up, twelve kids in your family? I feel sorry for your mother. That in itself sounds like abuse.

You could explain further so that I could understand your thinking.
But that is not your way. Oh and sorry for the typo.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by TriggerFish]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Just what is the real topic here, Beat your kids if they are dissrespectful. quite simply if you did your job right from the beginning. you wouldn't need to do much more than consult. But if you truly can only get through to your kids by yelling or violence then you have failed as a parent.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
As usual, a topic which should be about teens and how to discipline them in order to improve society and morals has declined into a flame war on irrelevant off topic details by people who can't keep their cool.
The world needs less anger. Turn the other cheek for once.

Nice going ats.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriggerFish
Do you really think modern man is smarter than thousands of years of child raising evolution? I think not. Face it, violence is a fact of the human
condition.

Violence is a current fact of the human condition because we keep on perpetuating it.

As you pointed out, we are supposed to be evolving. Y'know, getting smarter, finding better solutions to old problems and learning from our mistakes. We need to evolve past this whole violence thing.

I agree that at this point in our development violence is an inevitable part of our existence, but it is ultimately self defeating and we should be trying to move past it, not wallowing in it apathetically because "that's how it's always been, man."

Also, show me the natural "law" that states that children must be hit in order to teach them.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by T0by

Agreed

My apology to the OP for suggesting he was less than high school educated early on this evening. Unfortunately I let my emotions dictate my typing when I first jumped into this topic, but it is a hot button topic for a lot of people, me included.

Happy arguing people, I'm done for tonight.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It seems some people here are having a very difficult time understanding what the difference is between spanking your child and abusing your child.

If you don't understand here's a good starting point:

You spank a child in hopes that he learns something from it and in turn becomes a better person from it.

You abuse your child to intentionally cause them harm or to make yourself feel better about yourself.

I haven't heard one person here speak positively about abusing their child. I've heard nearly all supporters speak constructively about their children and the methods with which they discipline.

For those that don't see the difference - I think there may be deeper problems for you, possibly emotional anguish you're still suffering from maybe left over from your childhood.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
This whole thread is way out of control if you ask me. No one did of course but that's my opinion.

There is a very old book that has been used for generations as a guide to help parents raise their children. It's scoffed at most of the time but it seems to have worked well up until recently in history. I'd like to quote a few lines from it if I could. I'm probably going to get beat up over it I'm sure. The book will be called antiquated, irrevelent and so forth for this day and age. Who knows

Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."

Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."

Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."

Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."

Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."

Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."

I'm ready to be crucified!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lellomackin
reply to post by zerbot565

You're understanding of this is seriously lacking.

Gateway=Door

You start doing weed, you have opened a door to others that are doing the same thing.
Meaning, you are going to hang out with people smoking weed.

Some in that crowd will be doing more than that thing(i.e. something harder). You will be exposed to those other things. There is now a greater possibility that you will go to that next step. If you take the next step....you go through the next door.

In that next room people, in all probability, will be doing more powerful things, etc, etc.

Doesn't mean you WILL do it, just a chance that some will, and believe me some will.

you your self just proved that the gateway theory is nothing but a theory because not everyone follows the path.

its like saying everyone wears a yellow shirt because everyone has a yellow shirt at home ,

its unlogical and simplifyed to fit a cause or need ,

social settings, surroundings , your motives and others motives.

gateway theory works if life was linear and everyone wears a yellow shirt.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pwrthtbe

I'm not sure how much quoting the bible adds to the discussion at hand, except as a way of pointing out that some sects of Christianity tend to favor violent punishments.

I hasten to add that I don't think that all Christians are violence-inclined, just a very vocal significant minority.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BarryZuckercorn

Violence is part of the human condition because it is genetic. It is not nuture, it is nature. It has helped humanity reach the success we as species enjoy today.

I am not a violent person I have raised five of my own and two adopted children with my wit mostly but not without an occasional spanking.
My oldest is working on her masters and two others are now in college.

But, I am a realist and accept reality for what it is. Those not willing to accept reality will never be able to change it.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by lellomackin

Is it okay to slap my wife when she says something I think is insolent or should I just spank her behind?

Well, there IS the rule of thumb. Ever hear that phrase? That phrase came about cause of men beating their wives... they had to impliment the "rule of thumb"... can't use a tree branch thicker than your thumb.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriggerFish

Well Yellowmackin for you it must have been all about the verbal abuse,
it seems to flow quite naturally.

Why, has my verbal riposte sparked some inner violence in you. They are just words on a page, they can't possibly be anything close to smacking someone.

You are typical of the modern world,
Attack the person when you have no real arguement. Say it loud enough until someone starts to believe it.

Funny how you never answered my previous post that asked substantive questions, but would accuse of me having no argument. And by the way, see how agitating someone, without violence, can be effective.

condition.

And we should start sacrificing sheep and goats again?? So resorting to violence is the end of the line in "child raising evolution"? We have nothing left to learn?

Where did you grow up, twelve kids in your family? I feel sorry for your mother. That in itself sounds like abuse.

I said talk to me when you have twelve. You alluded to being in, or having, a family of five. Five isn't complicated, twelve is. Reading comprehension FTW.

You could explain further so that I could understand your thinking.
But that is not your way. Oh and sorry for the typo.

I am willing to explain anything that is related to me in a question that is comprehensible.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I was just adding some calm to the discussion. I thought if maybe I sidetracked some of you this could be a little less hostile environment to have a discussion in.

There seems to be two inseperable differences of opnion on wether corporal punishment should be used on chilren or not. They both may be correct in certain situations but this has degenerated into a pissing contest on who's wrong or right.

This could actually have been a very constructive forum for learning from one another to better our world but alas it's showing us why we'll never be able to unite on anything. So sad.

To the matter at hand,..... Let the punishment fit the crime

Spank that ass when needed,
ground that ass when needed,
talk to them always.

Communication is the key to any situation.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by pwrthtbe]

[edit on 7/27/2009 by pwrthtbe]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pwrthtbe
This whole thread is way out of control if you ask me. No one did of course but that's my opinion.

There is a very old book that has been used for generations as a guide to help parents raise their children. It's scoffed at most of the time but it seems to have worked well up until recently in history. I'd like to quote a few lines from it if I could. I'm probably going to get beat up over it I'm sure. The book will be called antiquated, irrevelent and so forth for this day and age. Who knows

Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."

Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."

Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."

Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."

Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell."

Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."

I'm ready to be crucified!

FINALLY something that both the Christians and the Muslims can agree upon! Beating people to get your way in the name of God!

Sharia Law let me introduce you to Christian Law! Seems like you two will get along just fine.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The right slap in the right time does wonders for the future.

(not a one liner)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Ok, say all violence is removed from this world what then?

No wars, good. No murder, good. No car crashes. No football, baseball,
or sports of any kind. Violence is everywhere.
No arguing on the internet, seems violent to me.

So in order to build a more peaceful world you win!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm still looking for clarification on this from the "pro spankers".

Open hand or closed hand?

To the face or the behind only?

Is it okay to hit my kid in the grocery store while other people are watching?

Should I pull down their pants or leave them on?

Switches, what is the proper width and length?

Belt, hairbrush or hand?

If I want to use a belt, but I left it in the bedroom, should I take the time to get it or should I just use my hand? I'm worried that the element of fear will be lost if I take the time to get a proper beating implement.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by TheAmused

and if you smack it hard enough it turns on.

Taken out of context to make it sound dirty.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
reply to post by TheAmused

You know what many of these folks fail to realize Amused? That back in the 40's and 50's , not one single kid would EVER act like those horrible monsters posted in those videos earlier.

Back in the day kids knew the limits.

They may have done bad things, but you would never see the kind of disrespect and spoiled hate you see nowadays.

And if anyone saw a kid act like that, they would put them in their place quick and the issue was resolved swiftly.

Children didn't misbehave in the 40s and 50s? As for your generalization about kids behavior, where did you get your information from? A few anecdotes don't really justify such broad statements.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 6EQUJ5
reply to post by badmedia

Well, you did move on to meth, from marijuana, so one could argue that you're living proof that there's something to the gateway theory. You were exposed to that lifestyle, to that way of coping. There was probably a wide range of "drug of choice" in your circle of users, and it was only a matter of time before someone convinced you to try something else.

I'm still of the opinion that once you cross that line into "whooping" your child, and you realize diminished returns in future swatting to correct behavior, it'll be likely to escalate, and many studies point to that.

I was also in the military before that. So I guess the military was a gateway to it as well? Just because it happened in such a manner doesn't mean it was the cause.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join