It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

SO not a good sign.

Also, I had a thought, does anyone think it maybe possible that the cartels that have been fighting perhaps got their hands on some blackmarket bioweapons?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Obama was there. I believe that since this has been confirmed from one coast to another, it is going to be a matter of a week or so and it will explode.

I have a theory about it spreading like it has and the age group it is seemingly affecting, but I need to know first how long it can live outside a body. Anybody know anything about that?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

No slam Darlin'...I hear what you are saying and agree that it would be a rather unpleasant situation to actually shut the corridor down but it could be done if it would indeed stop the spread of the flu,I'm sure some feelings would be hurt.

Would involve a lot of tough-guys/girls with guns.

I am reading articles like a kid with a full Easter basket of candy and am realizing that it's probably already too late...it's in other areas as well.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Great minds,I swear!

I mentioned that to someone less than a couple of hours ago,the possibility that the situation had been perpetrated by the cartels in order to spread fear and re-organize/re-gain control within Mexico and it went a lil' bit wrong?

I know everything has it's price and can be bought.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

You are right: there WERE "advisories" in place for the kids to avoid travel during Spring Break over the border at that time because of the "drug wars" going on but I am sure many of them went over anyway.
The local news did tell them not to as did their parents,I am sure.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

All too easily a possiblity, mores the pity. If this is some sort of bug one of the govs weaponized we are all in ALOT of trouble unless it was one they didn't perfect. Would you happen to be a old school gamer geek as well?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   

And that makes it all the more attractive to the teenage mind. Would have to mine at least.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Someone posted the question about how lng the virus can live outside the body....anyone have any input on this? Scary, considering we have alot of cargo and food items coming from mexico into the US every day. I am concerned about this due to my job and what we get from mexico.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
"Mexican officials say fatalities jumped from 68 to 81 in 24 hours..."

F-me runnin'.This is so not good.

From NY State:

"DOH is also setting up a toll-free number for New York State residents who have questions or concerns about swine flu. The hotline number is 1-800-808-1987. It will be available 24 hours a day, beginning at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday, April 26, 2009."
From the BNO Newsroom, as released by the New York's Governor Office.

New York, NEW YORK (BNO NEWS) – Governor David A. Paterson has directed the New York State Department of Health (DOH) to activate its infectious disease, epidemiology, laboratory, disaster preparedness and health systems staff to coordinate efforts across the State as eight cases of probable swine influenza (swine flu) were identified in New York City today. Samples from these cases have been sent to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for confirmatory testing. The CDC is currently the only laboratory that has the capability to confirm swine flu (H1N1). DOH is coordinating with the Nassau and Suffolk County health departments on investigations of additional possible cases on Long Island.

“I want to reassure all New Yorkers that we are taking appropriate measures to address these probable cases of swine flu,” said Governor Paterson. “The New York State Department of Health is working closely with the CDC, the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, all local health departments across the State, hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers. Earlier today, we shipped 1,500 treatment courses of Tamiflu to New York City. These will be used to treat any severely ill probable swine flu cases or household contacts of probable cases who have underlying chronic health conditions, placing them at extra risk.”

My question is,after reading around so much: is the damn Tamiflu going to do anything if it is the swine-strain or is this simply a reassurance that "help is available" to avoid a panic?

[edit on 25-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Seems the EDIS map site is down?
Dont know how accurate this one is but....

www.emergency.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Ok I get Mexico was the first in confirmed deaths, but is it for sure that Mexico started this. If anyone remembers ATS had a post a week ago stating that some truckers were thought to be transporting something thought to be of Bird Flu origin and they (the truckers) were givin a shot to keep them from being infected themselves. Also in an earlier post Someone put a video on You tube saying there was going to be an event here and FEMA was involved with the local police depts. Put some of that together and ya got to wonder just where things started and who dealin the cards.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I don't know if anyone else is aware of this, but there is actually a contingency plan within Northern Command, CONPLAN 2591 NORTHCOM, which is designed to handle pandemic influenza.

I think a discussion has to be held here on how likely the possibility is that CONPLAN 2591 will be enacted. My guess it would have to be a major outbreak here in the United States for such a plan to be activated. Difficulty in discussing this is due to the fact there is no information availiable on the Internet that discusses what the plan entails.

That's not too big a deal. Any employee of or contractor employed by municipalities or government organizations should have a contingency plan in place. I'm sure these sorts of things have been in place for a very, very long time. Many of them were updated as a result of the media-sponsored fearmongering related to avian flu, which seemed at its peak in 2006/2007.

On a side note, I'm very curious about the "death due to immune system reaction" idea. I mean, if this is true, some of the Americans should've been killed by now. And a previous poster suggested that, due to the lower health standards, Mexicans have better immune systems (respectfully, I'm pretty skeptical of this notion). Wouldn't that lower the Mexico City/swine flu death rate against (in this idea) a higher American death rate?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I so remember that thread: it's hard to even start guessing what and where for me at this point except that in my "gut of guts",I know it's not something Mother Nature just decided to spew.
You are right,it was a "created incident" and who done it is the gazillion-dollar question!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I posted that question, I am wondering because of the age group it is affecting, also that it is affecting students. I have a theory but it is moot if the virus cannot live outside the body for very long.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by son of PC

Um, if they are infected it will go where they do. And spread. It is also human nature to run to percieved safety when possibly deadly situations arise.

That being said it may already be too late considering we already have cases as far North as New York.

Uh, no, it's not frigging too late. These people!

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I cannot even imagine a gazillion,..... anyway this is messed up. WE read about it but never believe the actuality of it materializing. and so here we are in stage one. Glad I've stocked up on food and water.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by son of PC

Mind telling me what you are basing that assertion on? Or are you being contrary for the fun of it?

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Yes

Isn't it ironic that most Spring Breakers didn't go down to Mexico due to the drug and human traffic violence at the border.

Life and humanity finds ways - even if it isn't noticed

Its always the little unseen things that seem to work itself out and deny against evil

I am heading up to the woods with the entire family for two weeks with shortwave until this crap blows itself out - maybe longer if we have too

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   

On a side note, I'm very curious about the "death due to immune system reaction" idea. I mean, if this is true, some of the Americans should've been killed by now. And a previous poster suggested that, due to the lower health standards, Mexicans have better immune systems (respectfully, I'm pretty skeptical of this notion). Wouldn't that lower the Mexico City/swine flu death rate against (in this idea) a higher American death rate?

That is my theory... scientists say that this virus is acting like the 1918 virus. The 1918 virus attacked those with a strong immune system, making the immune system attack the body.

My theory is that american's immune system is weaker than mexican's because of the environment. In america, we live all our life in a ``too clean environment`` and in Mexico, especially in Mexico city, it's like living in the sewers, so they have a stronger immune system otherwise they would be dead by now.t

Americans or anyone living in a too clean environment: weaker immune system: less lethal.
Mexicans or anyone living in a dirty environment: stronger immune system: more lethal.

From the WHO:

The current situation constitutes a public health emergency of international concern. However, more information is needed before a decision could be made concerning the appropriateness of the current alert level.

Yeah let's wait thousands die before putting quarantines at the border...

[edit on 25-4-2009 by Vitchilo]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join