It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 405
<< 402  403  404    406  407  408 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

Swine Flu Fears Decline

After a busy onslaught of concern about H1N1 Flu last week, Connecticut hospitals and community health centers reported a drop in people seeking flu tests.

www.nbcconnecticut.com...

N.J. experiences decline in cases of swine flu illness

Yesterday the state closed the hotline established for concerned residents and health care providers following the initial news of the swine flu outbreak. In some school districts, information on the illness is less prominent on their websites.

www.nj.com.../base/news-13/1242274111252360.xml&coll=1

So I guess if I googled and read these reports I would think everything is going to be okay.........

My company, who had headlines on their intranet homepage and a whole area dedicated to Flu updates, news, and directives (some of which I've posted in this thread) has now taken all of that down, and sounded an "all clear" in a short blurb.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

I was just proving a point to a poster that I could easily google and get "all is well" articles.........

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

irishchick, aside from running out and getting one of those trendy pnuemonia vaccines per eco's suggestion that made total sense, I like to keep things as simple as possible and am loving your suggestions. Tell me you already have a thread where you share all your helpful hints for getting back on your feet. If not, you should totally start one.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Just out of curiosity, how many of you mapped places and printed out the maps / GPS coordinates for your "doomsday" kit? I mapped out:
1. Pharmacy warehouses and distribution hubs
2. Grocery warehouses and hubs
3. Produce warehouses
4. Hunting / Camping store warehouses and hubs
5. military armories, warehouses, supply chain hubs, airfields
6. Hummer and Jeep rail yard storage depots
7. small aircraft manufacturers
8. Halliburton airfields and warehouses
9. Yacht builders / repair marinas / docks
10. Private Islands with airstrips

why map out these places?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

2nd AZ h1n1 Death

The CDC had 2 deaths on its site earlier, but I'm not sure that we could get any MSM details until now. I'm guessing the delay is due to the fact that the death was on a Native American Reservation--have their own chain-of-command, rules and regulations. Hate to be the bearer of bad news; no news on victim's age, gender,etc., yet:

H1N1 Death Reported On Reservation

POSTED: 4:49 pm MST May 19, 2009
UPDATED: 5:03 pm MST May 19, 2009

PHOENIX -- The Arizona Department of Health Services confirmed Tuesday afternoon that another person in the state has died of the H1N1 flu.

The person died on the Gila River Indian Reservation, the heath department said. Calls to the reservation were not immediately returned

The first H1N1 flu death occurred in Maricopa County. The female victim, who was in her 40s, was also suffering from a lung condition, authorities said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention listed two fatalities for Arizona on its Web site, but it was unclear when the second death occurred. In total, 488 confirmed and probable cases of H1N1 flu in the state

edit to provide source:www.kpho.com...

[edit on 19-5-2009 by sonjah1]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I've been researching swine flu and Vitamin D, and here's some of the news I've come across relating to it:

John Cannell, M.D., and executive director of The Vitamin D Council, has published the May 2009 newsletter entitled, "H1N1 Flu and Vitamin D."

I thought his answer to the first question he addressed in the newsletter ("Should I take Vitamin D to prevent the H1N1 flu? If so, how much?") was interesting:

Take enough Vitamin D3 to get your 25(OH)D level above substrate starvation levels (50 ng/mL or 125 nmol/L). Levels of 50 ng/mL usually require at least 5,000 IU per day for adults, some adults will require more. Children should take 1,000 IU per every 25 pounds of body weight. After taking this dose for 3 months test your 25(OH)D level. Individual variation in dose response is great and natural 25(OH)D levels (50–70 ng/mL) are not assured by these doses. For reasons I will discuss below, I think it possible that Vitamin D levels of 30 ng/mL, which are often obtained by people taking low doses of Vitamin D (1,000–2,000 IU/day), may increase your risk of death from a 1918-like influenza virus.

My most recent Vitamin D level was tested on 3-30-09 and my level was 44.5 ng/mL. While I'm finally within the therapeutic levels after being deficient for quite some time, and I've gone from taking 6,000 to 8,000 units of D a day to 2,000 units. According to what Dr. Cannell is saying, for someone whose D level is at 50 (mine is below that), I should be taking 5,000 units a day if I want to try to prevent the H1N1 virus. According to him, the 2,000 units I'm taking a day is not enough and puts me at risk.

His answer to question #3 (How much Vitamin D should be taken if H1N1 is contracted) is also interesting. It's a huge dose, and anyone with the swine flu who wanted to take those mega-doses of Vitamin D would need a prescription.

Later in the newsletter he admits that no one really knows if Vitamin D can keep us from contracting the swine flu, but he seems to think it's possible. If I'm interpreting what he's saying correctly, it sounds like the Vitamin D could help with inflammation and cytokine storms which occur with H1N1. Here's the passage I'm referring to. Am I interpreting this passage in his newsletter correctly?

In the macrophage, the presence of vitamin D also appears to suppress the pro-inflammatory cytokines. Thus, vitamin D appears to both enhance the local capacity of the epithelium to produce endogenous antibiotics and at the same time dampen certain destructive arms of the immune response, especially those responsible for the signs and symptoms of acute inflammation, such as the cytokine storms operative when influenza kills quickly.

From the reading I've done, it sounds like Vitamin D, if taken in the right doses, might indeed be helpful in either preventing the swine flu and/or in recovering from it. Here's some more information in case you're interested in learning more:

Lab work has shown that lack of vitamin D is associated with weaker production of an antimicrobial peptide called hCAP-18, a protein that works with immune-system cells to kill pathogens. "We think that if you're exposed to a virus [and] you have sufficient vitamin D, those cells will be better equipped to fight off that organism so you don’t get an infection," says Ginde, an assistant professor of surgery in his university's department of emergency medicine. In people with vitamin D deficiency, it's possible that "those cells don’t work as well so you're more like to get a cold or infection or something more severe."
Source.

New research suggests that influenza is also a disease triggered by vitamin D deficiency. Influenza virus exists in the population year-round, but influenza epidemics are seasonal and occur only in the winter (in northern latitudes), when vitamin D blood levels are at their nadir. Vitamin D-expressed genes instruct macrophages, the front-line defenders in the innate immune system, to make antimicrobial peptides, which are like antibiotics (Science 2006;311:1770–1773). These peptides attack and destroy influenza virus particles, and in human carriers keep it at bay. (Neutrophils and natural killer cells in the innate immune system and epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract also synthesize these virucidal peptides.) Other vitamin D-expressed genes rein in macrophages fighting an infection to keep them from overreacting and releasing too many inflammatory agents (cytokines) that can damage infected tissue. In the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic, which killed 50 million people, of which 500,000 were Americans, young healthy adults (as happened to my 22-year-old grandmother) would wake up in the morning feeling well, start drowning in their own inflammation as the day wore on, and be dead by midnight. Autopsies showed complete destruction of the epithelial cells lining the respiratory tract due, as researchers now know, to a macrophage-induced overly severe inflammatory reaction to the virus. These flu victims were attacked and killed by their own immune system, something researchers have found vitamin D can prevent (Epidemiol Infect 2006;134:1129–1140).
Source.

Does that mean Chicagoans should break out the vitamin D supplements because of the swine flu outbreak? Some health experts say not yet. Because the virus is new, no research has been done to determine whether vitamin D would prevent infection, says Sue Penckofer, a professor at the Loyola University Chicago School of Nursing. "We haven't been able to study (swine flu and vitamin D). I think now is the time," Penckofer says. Still, Chicago-based physician Dr. Mayer Eisenstein, who recommends vitamin D to his patients in lieu of some antibiotics, says vitamin D could help stave off something like swine flu. "Will it be effective against this flu? I would guess yes, but we don't know a lot about it," he says. "But vitamin D is protective."
Source.

I've read more news about swine flu & Vitamin D; this is just a sampling.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Ummm. You've never watched any apocalyptic movies have you?

Seems obvious to me. To be prepared and to survive. Why? For the just in case factor, cause you never know.

[edit on 19-5-2009 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
German tourist not die of A/H1N1 virus: Thai health ministry
+ - 21:17, May 19, 2009
I think that this case was confirmed as h1n1 on the thread:

The 65-year-old German tourist, who died on Monday in Thailand, was not infected with the A/H1N1 flu, according to laboratory tests at the Department of Medical Sciences, Thai Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi said Tuesday.

The German woman, identified as Mrs. Barbel Wilhelmine, died of pneumonia and had common influenza, Manit told reporters attending a press conference held at the Ministry late Tuesday.

Manit said the German tourist had lung infection and the Ministry would examine further the causes of her lung infection.

The German woman with her husband and a child arrived in Thailand on May 12 and had stayed in a beach resort town of Hua Hin in a central province of Prachuab Khirikhan, said Dr Paijit Warajit, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Health of the Public Health Ministry.

On May 18, she had sore throat, but had neither fever nor coughed, and was admitted into San Paolo Hua Hin Hospital, said Dr. Paijit.

She had chest pains and breathing difficulties, while doctors discovered that her lung got infection.

The hospital then referred her case to Bamrungraj Hospital in Bangkok.

However, as she was on the way to Bangkok, she stopped breathing and was sent to a hospital in Samut Sakhon province and died there at around 21:00 p.m. local time.

Since May 12, the Public Health Ministry said the country has had its first two A/H1N1 flu cases, however, the two patients have already recovered and will not spread the deadly flu disease to others. The two persons had returned from Mexico.

sorry for all the gloom&doom, but you know, deny ignorance. Strange how they recanted. Really scary on how rapidly it took its course with her...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
cant beat the the guy on the other side of the pond keeping this thread going thanks
i enjoy the reading

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
SStirling: Queens hospitals getting record ER visits as swine flu panic expands. #swineflu 8 minutes ago from web

Note the "clever" wording used to shame people away from the ER? "Swine flu panic..." Makes those who are seeking medical attention sound like a bunch of twits, and those who should be hesitant to be seen with the rest of the "kooks" who are "clogging up" the healthcare system.

This has been a master class on subtle (and not-so-subtle) control and manipulation eminating from a central source and diseminated through the media. If the world ever becomes a little more self-reflective and honest, there will be books written about this (assuming that we survive.)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
The vitamin D trick to prevent flu I read was the story of the Dr who was taking care of two sets of prisoners (I think). One floor was taking 2k units per day of Vitamin D supplements and the other nothing. None of the vitamin D people got the flu and most of the others did. They had mixed the people up across both levels before the flu hit so people sharing a cell or next to each other would be immune or not w/ the only difference being the Vitamin D.

Maybe it takes a lot more, I don't know. The daily allowance recommendations are probably lower than they should be, the elite like the peasants short and rickety. 2K units is quite a bit higher than the RDA. I have these tiny little pills that each contain 1000U so it wouldn't be that big a deal to take 5 I guess. I need to study up on D overdose. There are people who kill themselves by taking way too much of OTC meds or vitamins every year which they use as an excuse to try and regulate them even more.

The EU laws will be passed in the US and Canada by treaty and when that happens the levels in vitamins will go down like you won't believe. It's very obvious the globalist don't want the common people to be healthy. They want you to die young and sterile.

Anyway, to wrap this up:
2K units probably safe / 5K units? not too sure.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I was just proving a point to a poster that I could easily google and get "all is well" articles.........

Don't know what I did to deserve the "eye roll." Perhaps you misunderstood my intent. I was just trying to add a personal experience to the massive ramp-up and oddly rapid shut down... all while things appear to be getting much worse, not better.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
reply to post by double_frick

Ummm. You've never watched any apocalyptic movies have you?

Seems obvious to me. To be prepared and to survive. Why? For the just in case factor, cause you never know.

The only real problem with that list is that most of those areas are so large, and so vital to "national security" that they'll be heavily, heavily guarded and completely pillaged before the forces vacate. Visiting one of those areas in an attempt to stock up when TSHTF is a quick ticket to getting your civil rights violated at the very minimum or getting a free pass to a FEMA camp at the worst... well, aside from getting dead where you stand.

The best bet is to have a stash already in place for immediate survival needs and a place to "get away from it all" that is sustainable (source of fresh water, a nice sunny patch of soil and some heirloom seeds, lots of wild game (brush up on your shooting/archery/trapping skills), as well as all-weather/all-season shelter.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

LOL...I think you may have been reading to many post today like me.......I didn't mean anything by it.......It was just a click of the button......

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

In 1999, Vieth indirectly asked the medical community to produce any evidence 10,000 units of vitamin D a day was toxic, saying "Throughout my preparation of this review, I was amazed at the lack of evidence supporting statements about the toxicity of moderate doses of vitamin D." He added: "If there is published evidence of toxicity in adults from an intake of 250 ug (10,000 IU) per day, and that is verified by the 25(OH)D concentration, I have yet to find it

Taken from this link

The site also says a human produces ~ 10,000 IU from 30 minutes expose to the sun.

Water soluble vitamins can be taken in excess of 1,000x rda in most cases. Fat soluble (vit-d) vitamins usually 10-100x before toxicity. Minerals are the ones people need to watch out for. Less than 10x rda of some can be lethal!

Very, very few people overdose on vitamins each year. Less than a handful of reported cases. Many are from iron supplementation.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

First Person: Being Quarantined for Swine Flu

Associated Press reporter Will Weissert details his experience being quarantined in a remote Chinese hotel for seven days. The reason? His flight from Cuba included a layover in Mexico, and China is taking no chances with swine flu. (May 18)

Welcom to the Real World........

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
Anyway, to wrap this up:
2K units probably safe / 5K units? not too sure.

vitamin D toxicity usually occurs only if excessive doses (prescription or megavitamin) are taken. Vitamin D 1000 μg (40,000 IU)/day produces toxicity within 1 to 4 mo in infants. In adults, taking 1250 μg (50,000 IU)/day for several months can produce toxicity.
Source.

From the way I understand this, as an adult, you might experience Vitamin D toxicity if you were taking 50,000 units a day for several months. I think 5,000 units a day would be fine, but I'm not a medical professional, so I'd advise that you consult your physician to determine if 5,000 units of Vitamin D per day would be okay for you.

In addition, your physician can order a simple blood test to determine what you Vitamin D level is and then give you suggestions on how much (if any) would be good for you to take.

Alternatively, you could spend more time in the sun to get more Vitamin D.

The single most important fact anyone needs to know about vitamin D is how much nature supplies if we behave naturally, e.g., go into the sun. Humans make at least 10,000 units of vitamin D within 30 minutes of full body exposure to the sun, what is called a minimal erythemal dose. Holick MF. Environmental factors that influence the cutaneous production of vitamin D. Am J Clin Nutr. 1995 Mar;61(3 Suppl):638S–645S. Vitamin D production in the skin occurs within minutes and is already maximized before your skin turns pink.
Source.

Hope you feel better.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

LOL...I think you may have been reading to many post today like me.......I didn't mean anything by it.......It was just a click of the button......

No sweat.

Thanks for the clarity.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Eco...

Just thought I would drop a line to this vitamin D question you have...

I am disabled and my doctor told me to take 4000 IU of vitamin D a day...
I weigh right at 150#s...

Just thought I would throw that out there...For reference...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
can i come out of my bunker yet?
im teasing and have been too busy this last week to keep up with this story and thread but i see this pesky little bug is still out there and more and more people are getting the swine flu everyday.
i still havent seen anyone in my area who are ill thankfully.

lets just hope this bugger doesnt mutate and kill with a high percentage.

top topics

<< 402  403  404    406  407  408 >>

join