It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 406
<< 403  404  405    407  408  409 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

Eye rolls happen here all day long..really
Sorry for the one line post..just my opinion

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is my first post, I've been lurking around here for a few months and finally decided to join in. My family is sick....it scares me! Probably NOT H1N1 BUT I emailed the CDC today and got this "fantastic" cookie cutter form response...

RE: CDC Website Inquiry
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 2:35 PM
"CDC-INFO"
Add sender to Contacts
To:

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO. We appreciate your feedback and are tracking public inquiries received during the novel H1N1 outbreak. The H1N1 virus is new. Currently scientific research is being conducted in order to better understand the diseases characteristics. As a result, this is a situation that is rapidly changing. For the most current information, please visit the CDC website where you will find the latest updates posted daily

As with all germs that easily pass from person to person, practicing good hygiene habits is the most effective way to prevent the spread of novel H1N1 flu virus. Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs. Wash with soap and water or clean with alcohol-based hand cleaner. CDC recommends that when you wash your hands -- with soap and warm water -- that you wash for 15 to 20 seconds. When soap and water are not available, alcohol-based disposable hand wipes or gel sanitizers may be used. Make sure you throw away disposable hand wipes after each use. You can find them in most supermarkets and drugstores. If using gel, rub your hands until the gel is dry. The gel doesn't need water to work; the alcohol in it kills the germs on your hands.

Also, it is important to remember that we are still in flu and allergy season and it is not uncommon to have cold or flu-like symptoms. If you are sick, stay home from work or school to monitor your health. If you do have symptoms where you think you need urgent care, contact your doctor right away.

For General Information about novel H1N1 flu we recommend the following CDC resources:

Swine Influenza (Flu) in Pigs and People
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Division of Viral Diseases
www.cdc.gov...

H1N1 and You Fact Sheet
www.cdc.gov...

Key Facts about H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu)
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Division of Viral Diseases
www.cdc.gov...

H1N1 Flu
www.cdc.gov...

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO Contact Center. Please do not hesitate to call 1-800-CDC-INFO, e-mail cdcinfo@cdc.gov or visit www.cdc.gov... if you have any additional questions.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Vangent, Inc. under contract to CDC and ATSDR.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please visit CDC-INFO’s Customer Satisfaction Survey and tell us about your recent experience with CDC-INFO. The survey results will help improve our services. The address for the survey is www.emtservices.org... Thank you.

lwlp/lwjlhp 9208

[THREAD ID:1-1EPS0C] [SR No.:1-85184650]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 5/19/2009 03:21:17 PM
To: cdcinfo@cdc.gov
Subject: CDC Website Inquiry

Comments
undefined

WHY THE HELL are you under-reporting the actual cases of H1N1 infections worldwide, and WHY is your "up-to-date" site NOT reflecting the TWO, MEDIA CONFIRMED deaths in New York? I think it's time for the general public to hit the airwaves and share information with each other since the CDC is clearly NOT doing an adequate job of informing and protecting the WORLD population.

We traveled to San Diego a week and a half ago, I had flu-like symptoms half the time I was there, as did my infant daughter. The symptoms disappeared, only to return today. The pediatrician tells me to stay home and monitor for high fever (105 just isn't enough???) and respiratory distress.

DO YOUR JOB AND EDUCATE & PROTECT!!!

This is no "normal" virus, don't kill off a third of the population in order to avoid chaos and panic and "most importantly" ECONOMIC COLLAPSE!!!!

What aren't you telling us about this virus? Flu in mid-May? Not the norm. I plan on spreading the word far and wide!!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

Welcome back! Was hoping you weren't down with any nasties. All clear in this neck of the woods too, that I can tell anyways. You've lots to catch up on!

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by affinity25

WOW!!! Just wow!! I can't believe that is the message you got back after that email that you sent to them. Thats yours connected at the bottom right??

You may get someone knocking on your door for that! That was awesome and to the point!!!

If you are really sick please go back to the doctor and demand answers.

I like the coment flu and allergy season is still going on. Maybe allergies but no way on the flu. My allergies have never given me a fever.

Good luck and welcome to ATS.

also
Welcome back elitegamer23 wondered if everything was OK over there on the east side of Iowa. Thought I might have to send out a search party.

[edit on 5/19/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
re: affinity

They're definitely under reporting and holding back info. Canada hasn't updated confirmed cases here since Friday (May 15). So any numbers WHO puts out there definitely aren't accurate. On Friday the confirmed # of Canadian cases was @ 496.

I sent an email to the Public Health Agency of Canada today and asked them why they're no longer updating the confirmed cases. Doubt I'll get a reply or if I do it will probably be a cookie cutter response like you got. I share your frustration

So what do we know? We know that the confirmed cases are 10,000, which isn't even close to being accurate and up to date. We know more deaths were announced today. We know last week that the CDC were estimating that the number could be as high as 100,000. We know that the swine flu is still spreading like wild fire around the globe. We also know that government agencies and organizations in the know are holding back information (Canada is the perfect example). So the question is why?

[edit on 19-5-2009 by ZombieSlayer]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DropOfKim

Originally posted by DropOfKim
reply to post by elitegamer23

Welcome back! Was hoping you weren't down with any nasties. All clear in this neck of the woods too, that I can tell anyways. You've lots to catch up on!

thanks for the welcome back!

ive actually been up in iowa city the last week for work and believe me i was a little nervous going there to be around so many people in such close proximity of each other.

i could handle myself getting ill but id hate to pass it on to my daughter.

im happy to report i saw nobody sneezing, coughing, or ill. well maybe a couple people sick of preparing for finals but that probably happens every year.

if i had h1n1, id still find a way to log on and tell everyone here what was going on. im never too sick for ats.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Deadly pneumonia caused by super-bugs on rise: study

Deadly pneumonia caused by so-called superbugs are spreading outside hospitals and represent a growing threat to the public, U.S. researchers warned on Wednesday.

Making the problem more worrying is the recent H1N1 flu outbreak because the "super-bug" pneumonia most commonly appears following an influenza-like illness, Alicia Hidron of the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta reported.

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections can range from boils to more severe infections of the blood, lungs and the sites of surgery. Such infections can often be treated only with expensive intravenous antibiotics.

www.reuters.com...

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted, but I heard on the news here just a bit ago that a man in Missouri died this evening of swine flu...it stated that he has visited Mexico last month, I didn't catch his age or anything....

[edit on 19-5-2009 by Greenize]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieSlayer
Deadly pneumonia caused by super-bugs on rise: study

Deadly pneumonia caused by so-called superbugs are spreading outside hospitals and represent a growing threat to the public, U.S. researchers warned on Wednesday.

Making the problem more worrying is the recent H1N1 flu outbreak because the "super-bug" pneumonia most commonly appears following an influenza-like illness, Alicia Hidron of the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta reported.

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infections can range from boils to more severe infections of the blood, lungs and the sites of surgery. Such infections can often be treated only with expensive intravenous antibiotics.

www.reuters.com...

Super bugs! Yikes... Lets mix it all together and see what we get. Really seems like they are slowy trying to feed it to everyone that this may get really scary.

I like how they added that the infections can often be treated with "EXPENSIVE" intravenous antibiotics. At that point if you need those drugs and don't have insurance do the drug makers or the doctors get to make the call on if you get it or not.

[edit on 5/19/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Swine flu case in Melbourne

A Melbourne boy has tested positive to swine flu after returning from a trip to the US.

There are now three confirmed cases of swine flu in Australia after the NSW government announced one person had tested positive to the virus and a Queensland case was reported earlier this month.

The boy returned from the US earlier this month and is recovering in quarantine at home in Clifton Hill.

But his parents and three sisters are now showing flu-like symptoms and are also in isolation at home.

Health authorities are contacting other passengers on the family's Qantas flight from Melbourne - QF94.

www.news.com.au...

Well I knew it was only a matter of time before it spread here

We down under are at the onset of winter at the end of this month. Already the 'normal' flu is kicking in, and this just makes it SO much worse.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
H1N1 is making it's way back into the news in a scary way?
What's changed?

Could H1N1 start to resist drugs?

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
My father-in-law was just brought to the ER tonight around 7pm.

He's in a nursing home near us and we just talked to him last night and he seemed just fine. This morning they say that he had a mild fever (100? 101?). But then it went to 103 by this evening. No signs of sickness that we know of before this. He's 80 if that means anything.

So far they've determined he has pneuomia (don't know what kind). I had asked if they should test him for flu and they said they were operating on another more common scenario related to UTI (which he has had before - about 5 months ago).

He's not looking well. Looks like he's in quite a bit of discomfort. (It's hard to ask him questions even when he's healthy - not completely there.)

I guess I'm thinking that if he doesn't get through this that they need to test him for swine flu just in case he had it... because it could have been spread to everyone else in the nursing home.

(And I haven't noticed coughing in the ER here. Not very busy at all. But this area is in a fairly well off area SE of Denver.)

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Gah! I haven't quite figured out how to quote from external source and I can't stress enough that there are some things being said in the article I linked to that you all need to see.

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cornblossom

Thanks you for the information about Vitamin D. it is an underappreciated vitamin, and causes people much stress because it is often link to the "scary" (and much maligned) Vitamin A.

I thought I would point out that you do not need a dx to get the dosages indicated. 5,000 UI could be achieved by using 3 to 3.5 tablespoons of Blue Ice High Vitamin Cod Liver Oil. Which I would not suggest you take all at once in the day.

Or 5 tablespoons of Nordic Naturals Arctic-D Cod Liver Oil or their Ultimate Omega D-3.

Or 2.5 teaspons of Carlson's Labratories Super D Omega-3 or one and a bit of their Solar D Gems which have 4000 UI each.

[edit on 2009/5/19 by Aeons]

[edit on 2009/5/19 by Aeons]

posted on May, 19 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Virologist warns state health workers of swine flu's second wave
Pretty good article thought I would post it.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DropOfKim

Hit the red EX in the upper left corner to post external news clip quotes. To extend the quote simply cut and past in the box after it appears on your unsent post befor sending.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Apparently the NYC/Queens toddler's death wasn't credited to h1n1:

Boy's Death Not Swine Flu, But Tensions Still High
Experts Debate Next Moves as New Cases Reveal Nature of Swine Flu's Threat
By LAUREN COX and DAN CHILDS
ABC News Medical Unit
May 19, 2008

Even as New York City health officials said the death of a 16-month-old toddler who had flu like symptoms did not have swine flu, the number of schools closed in the city because of the virus rose again.

Jonathan Zamora, of Corona, Queens, was admitted to Elmhurst Hospital Center Monday night around 9:30 with a high fever and "severe flulike symptoms," according to a Tuesday morning announcement by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Officials at Elmhurst Hospital Center told The Associated Press that the boy died an hour after being admitted, but tonight officials said the boy appears not to have had H1N1 swine flu infection.

New York City has conducted tests that did not indicate that H1N1 swine flu was the cause of death, but a tissue sample has been sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control to confirm their results.

abcnews.go.com...

Earlier today, some of us on this thread were wondering why CDC didn't include the NY case(s) on their report--I guess this explains why~

[edit on 20-5-2009 by sonjah1]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Just got back from ER with my daughter. She got worse, fever 102, throwing up, complaining she could not move her legs. I panicked. and took her in. They said she has flu but would not test her. They said they are packed with flu cases and that most are regular flu, and would not test her. Amazing!

The doctor said the hospital here is full and this time of year is normally dead.

They did get her fever down. She is 8 and never had a fever over 100 in her life before.

This is so unreported it is making me sick. The room was full of sick kids , some from her school. All SAME symptoms. But they wont test.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wow, sounds like you in the states are getting hit much worse than we did in Mexico, to have reason to believe that they are lying about the numbers and severity of the virus. We know literally hundreds of people through all walks of life and still none of them know anyone who's had, or died from the flu. So far here, it hasn't killed anymore than the normal flu, but some people are worried if it's going to get worse come fall.
I'm .ing back to Guatemala (home) next week. I'll let you know if anything's different there.
Hopefully as the weather gets warmer you guys will see less cases. Good luck amigos.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
There is no lab that could possibly test for all cases. Even if there was, there isn't the infrastructure to count and account and roll up that many cases being tested in an adhoc way. There is no lab on the plsnet that could keep up with it.

I hope your daughter is feeling better soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 403  404  405    407  408  409 >>

join