It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 266
<< 263  264  265    267  268  269 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

From the bits I've read about how long it takes to develop a vaccine, let alone process hundreds of millions of doses and then get it distributed throughout the world, somehow I can't see it being ready in the time span you talk about . Then of course when it is ready, there will be masses of people who never even get it and people who don't respond to it when they do get it.... didn't the WHO spokesperson say something about the development of a vaccine taking 6-9 months ? So many conflicting time frames are mentioned

PS- your friend seems to think it a "given" that this WILL return and become far more aggressive. I'm inclined to think this myself but at this juncture isn't it a case of no-one can really be 100% sure ?
[edit on 3/5/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Unfortunately, even if there is a vaccine, we have absolutely no idea as to how this current virus may mutate by the time 3 or 4 months has passed.

Especially now that we are getting reports of this virus infecting pigs... after us humans have had it first...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by worldwatcher

After speaking with a dear personal friend who also happens to be a World Class Medical Doctor (Cabinet level advisor, med. school dean, etc...) , I can agree with the statement that the "second wave" of this bug will much more brutal than the first has been (it isn't over yet by a long shot either) unless they have a vaccine in place and distributed within the next 3 - 4 months.

Springer...

what are the chances that the first wave wasnt really noticed because it was mistaken for a very mild flu bug, and we are currently seeing the second wave?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

Back in this thread I posted a link to an article by a doctor who agrees with your points.

I believe that by then there will be a vaccine ready for it, and something else to consider. Those who have been exposed, infected and only dealt with mild symptoms will already have a natural immunity to it.

If you think about it, it may be better to go out and catch this bug now while it is mild, build up your immunity to it and IF it does come back in the fall, you have little to worry about.

Only time will tell....

if the virus mutates will people still have immunity?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Your information is interesting and certainly possible but I would ask where the Eurasian swine virus came from.

I am convinced this is engineered because there is no reason for a Eurasian swine virus to be in the Americas. I doubt that eurasian swines were imported here but I could certainly be wrong.

Anyone have info on that possibility?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
So many conflicting time frames are mentioned

everything about this whole ordeal has been conflicting.

im not sure if i want my immune system to be weak or strong because ive heard both sides will be the end of you.

i dont know if id take tamiflu or pass it up because they both could be my downfall.

the vaccines sounds nice and all but some say it will be the thing that kills you and everyone else is praying for this thing to be made asap.

what can you believe anymore in this world?

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
"Making a completely new influenza vaccine can take five to six months."

According to the WHO website here

The whole page is worth a read as it discusses the vaccine issue in good detail

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

If SHTF I'm going into hermit mode (nothing new there , I work from home over the net) so the state of my immune system and whether or not I take a vaccine will be immaterial (I hope) . The only time I'd go out is to a remote place , travelling by car and if I had to go shopping for example I'll be in a top grade bio-suit. I can cope with the isolation as I'm pretty used to it due to my work, it's being stuck here 24-7 with a 5 year old and my very sociable partner I'm worried about, the pressure of us all living under self-imposed quarantine is a nightmare I'm avoiding thinking about just yet....my partner likes to get out and about quite a bit so will deal with it alot worse than me
Well, we each have our own private rooms to work in so that's a plus point hopefully....but for kids , especially only children like mine, what would it be like having no school, no trips to the park, no playing with other kids etc etc for the whole duration of a pandemic which could go on for 18 months ? J. Christ

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

TOPIGS forms US Distribution Agreement with Zierke Company

“The swine genetics of TOPIGS combined with the existing activities of Zierke Company in Minnesota and the Midwest form an excellent foundation for future development of our business in the United States,” says Peter van Kemenade, Regional Director for TOPIGS International. “With this agreement we expand our ability to bring advanced TOPIGS genetics and technology to the US pork producers and we acquire market knowledge that will facilitate our future growth.”

This is how the europe asiaian swine would of been introduced. They have had a contract with Mexico and Canda longer than the US.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Thank you for the information although it could doom my conspiracy theory that it is a virus modified by man.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

Your perspective is very astute in deed. My friend said he "sort of" wished the flu he did contract (yes we had a heck of a scare Friday) was this strain of H1N1 for exactly the reason you point out.

The first strains are always the weakest and most who have a "mature" immune system (people over 25 years of age generally) will likely survive this one while the the second wave could be much more resistant and resilient.

Let's ALL hope they can come up with a vaccine within the next 90-120 days.

Springer...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm no doctor, but from a layman's point of view, i would avoid any first pass infection, full stop!!

If the 2nd wave hit, your immune system will be weaker than what it was. Also, the mutated virus may then know a 'back-door' in the host, thus exacerbating a secondary infection.

I believe a second wave will only be more lethal, because it can 'party' with the normal seasonal flu in autumn, where peoples immune system is primed and ready to fight, as its genetically programmed to respond as the seasons ebb & flow.

Remember, it's not the virus that kills, but your own immune system response, which explains why we may see the target demographic at 14-30yo, as their bodies hormones are in full flight and their immune systems are adapting with everyday exposures. Octogenarians need not worry.

Anyway, i just wanted to share this picture again, to validate EcoParty's posts, about mutated strains reinfecting; that is where the danger lies and no vaccine will ever be able to fully nail it on the head. It was interesting to see the loop-back from human back to pig and how that could create a plethora of new strains.

Also, after reading this thread, i am 99% sure that this has all been planned. Please S&F the thread, it's too important for it not to be taken into account.

N.B. Please stop playing doctors and nurses with piggies, you know who you are.

[Edit: Attempt at humour added]

[edit on 3-5-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Pardon if a Re-Post...

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 12
www.who.int...

Influenza A(H1N1) - update 12

3 May 2009 -- As of 1600 GMT, 3 May 2009, 18 countries have officially reported 898 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

Mexico has reported 506 confirmed human cases of infection, including 19 deaths. The higher number of cases from Mexico in the past 48 hours reflects ongoing testing of previously collected specimens. The United States Government has reported 226 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (85), China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1), Costa Rica (1), Denmark (1), France (2), Germany (8), Ireland (1), Israel (3), Italy (1), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Republic of Korea (1), Spain (40), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (15).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.
More at Link...

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Interesting, I started a thread with similar thinking...getting this A/H1N1 flu while it is mild might not be a bad idea, that it would help build your immune system to any new strain that comes of it. I just wrapped it around an alternate conspiracy theory lol. Some one posted a good link showing evidence to support the idea of building ones immunity to similar strains of flu virus.

ATS Thread

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Everything I have read including the report mentioned already say the same thing, longer than a few months. I have heard December thrown around in a few official sites as the target date.

Whatever happens, immunity or no immunity, vaccine or no vaccine we have to have some sort of trust in life I guess. Not to be fatalistic but really when it is our time it is our time. Take all the precautions you are able and hope or pray for the best for yourself, loved ones and the world at large.

If people take to the streets in some reasonable sort of protest if things get crazy, use your discretion. We can only do what we can do. Kiss your kids a bit more and love your spouse a bit more. We have to see joy in all this gloom too or that would really mess us up. Just a thought.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
reply to post by elitegamer23

If SHTF I'm going into hermit mode

just remember staying in your home during a shtf secenario is a good idea and being prepared is great, but so many people out there wouldnt be ready and eventually they would go looking for people who may have been prepared.
you better have something to protect your home. i dont think you can own firearms in the uk can you? if you can, id suggest getting one.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Just to add another perspective:

Overall, 42,636 people died in car crashes in the U.S. last year. That's fewer than the 42,884 who died in 2003.
CNN

And

According to an annual report published by the National Safety Council, there were 39,800 deaths last year related to motor vehicles in 2008
Autoblog

I believe this happens world wide to! We should be a pandemic level 6 from these car things!!

Just something to think about..ALOT of people die every year..so if the swine flu (or any other flu) doesn't get you..something else just might. You should live every day (responsibly) like it is your last.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by toepick

And this may be part of the reason it is not affecting older people to the degree it is younger ones. Many young people have never had any form of flu.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

I had the flu twice by the time I was seven...
Also, most children are immunized now along with the elderly.

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
From Dallas, Texas USA... I was in the office today to catch up with some work when a coworker said that a close friend of hers works at Baylor Hospital (Dallas).

This friend said that the hospital has set up a special triage center designed to handle hundreds of ER flu cases. Said it is fully staffed and nurses have had their schedules modified to staff this triage center on a 24-hour basis, braced for a large influx of severe cases or "probable cases" of H1N1. Eyewitness report (the friend) said that Saturday night, "a few" cases of "suspected" swine flu came in and were met with nurses in protective gear. Those cases were admitted and were being evaluated on Sunday.

This is all I heard from my co-worker but I thought I would pass it on as told to me.

None of this is in the local or national media, as far as I know.

top topics

<< 263  264  265    267  268  269 >>

join