It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate the movie you just watched

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Cursed (2005)

Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson (Dawson's Creek) teamed up for this werewolf movie starring Christina Ricci. Ms Ricci plays a young woman who along with her younger brother get bitten by a werewolf and start to become one. There is plenty of humor but few real scares in this movie. It is still entertaining to watch though. C+

Incubus (1965)

www.imdb.com...

William Shatner plays Marco who lives with his sister and falls in love with a succubus named Kia in this very strange and creepy movie. The movie was shot in black and white and the actors all spoke Esperanto in it. The film is shot in those angles many of the Swedish film makers would use. Milos Milos plays the character called Incubus who hams it up way more than Bill ever could. Demons, souls and damnation are what the movie centers on. It is a short 78 minute running time but is very fascinating to watch this experiment in film. (No grade as I cannot give any type of rating to this one. One has to watch it to experience it.)

The Brotherhood of Satan (1971)

www.imdb.com...

Strother Martin plays a small town retired doctor in this 1970s horror movie. The 1960s and 1970s produced hundreds of movies about Satanism, witchcraft and black magic (until John Carpenter's Halloween started the slasher craze). Many were not really scary, but had a strange style to them. This one fits into the strange style part. A young couple traveling with the man's daughter get stuck in a town that has children missing. We start to find out about what sinister plans await them. Character actor Strother Martin is a hoot to watch in this one as he hams it up. Not really scary, but creepy in some areas. A fun drive in type movie that should be viewed in its original widescreen version. C+

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Twin Town.

Set in Swansea (Wales) my hometown.
Made in 1997.
Its rated an 18.

It depicts the life of two anti-social misfits who break the law constantly, whilst being mixed up in drugs.

The blurb on the DvD says- Bryn Cartwright, a wealthy roofing contractor, Rugby Club Chairman and local Kingpin rules the roost until Fatty Lewis, a local handyman, falls off a ladder on a Cartwright job.
Bryn refuses to pay compensation..
The twins, Fatty's wayward sons, devise a wickedly comic way of getting even and Bryn ends up paying dearly.
Representing the thin blue line of the Law are Terry and Greyo, two local policemen who employ their own dubious peacekeeping methods as events spiral out of control.

Its a film you'd have to see, to really understand the plot.

Personally, I think its really funny! They stereo-type the typical Welshman and copy a few scenes from other movies.
Im sure a lot of British people on here may have seen it, but I wonder if its been seen out side the UK?
I suppose the biggest 'named' actor in it is Rhys Ifans (Notting Hill, Little Nicky.)

Id say, 7 out of 10.

[edit on 2/5/10 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Kidflash, I think you'll enjoy that one - thought 'True Legend' was a great film and it's definitely a 10/10 from me (will also keep a lookout for Dorm).

Watched another good movie recently from Australia called 'Blackwater' - I don't know if you've seen it but it's certainly worth a watch:

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The Big Empty (2003)

www.imdb.com...

This movie is about an aspiring actor who gets asked to bring a blue suitcase to a small desert town in California. The usual weird and kookie characters are met, and the movie does not know if it wants to be a comedy or a conspiracy thriller. Too many directors have seen masterpieces like "Pulp Fiction" and "Fargo" and try to emulate them. This is not a bad movie, but it seems lost half the time. Some funny moments and a strange ending make it worth taking a look. C+

The Boondock Saints (1999)

www.imdb.com...

This movie does the same thing but it succeeds on many different levels. It is funny, profane and violent at the same time. Two Irish brothers in Boston wage a war against evil persons (most just happen to be in the mob). Billy Connolly is unrecognizable as a mysterious character known as the Duke and Willem Dafoe plays an FBI agent trying to figure out what is going on. The movie is entertaining all the way through and is almost exhausting to watch. A

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Pineapple Express (2009)

Seth Rogan and James Franco play two stoner idiots who get mixed up in a crime syndicate when one of them witnesses a hit by a crime boss (played by Gary Cole). The movie has the usual stupid humor and is a mix of violent action. The ending is totally unbelievable, but the two actors have some fun with their roles. C

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
just watched Avatar for the second time, no 3-D this time...

it's still a 9.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
The last movie I watched was Hachiko: A Dog's Story (2009) with Richard Gere.
I knew the story from a book I`ve read but I wasn`t expecting it to be so good.
I would suggest you watch it without reading the plot.

www.imdb.com...

Then again, I`m an animal lover, so
But it`s the best animal movie I`ve ever seen. The soundtrack was fantastic, so were the writing, the directing and the Akita

[edit on 4/5/10 by sandri_90]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Defiance

8/10

The Uninvited

Better than I expected.

6.5/10

Yes Man

Seen it all before. At least Jim Carrey was entertaining.

5.5/10

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Moon

Really liked this one.... LOVE Sci-Fi and this film was excellent.
I thought it would be good and wasn't disappointed.
Very philosophical and very interesting to watch.

A homage to the likes of 2001 ASO and Solyaris.

It's also very Phildickian and reminded me of many of his themes and his style of deep and interesting character based Sci-Fi.

I'd have to say an 8/10..... Wasn't perfect but really loved this movie.

[edit on 4/5/10 by blupblup]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
District 9

For the first ten minutes i thought I’d made a mistake renting this DVD!! It all seemed rather amateurish and i wasn’t sure about the filming technique (filmed in the style of a documentary)

However, as the film gets going it becomes more and more interesting... From the racist attitude towards the Aliens, to the unique relationship with the, less than honest, African traders who see this as an opportunity for profit and gain....
Even the main human character (who at first seemed a bit empty and flat) turns into a really interesting bad ass as the story, and his plight, unfolds. It builds up until we have an all out action packed crescendo...

The choice of setting for this film is also a pleasant surprise... it would have been so easy (and lazy) to have just plonked the Alien visitors outside NYC or London. The slums of South Africa are the setting for this film and this adds to the uniqueness and believability.

This film will definitely not be to everyone’s taste... But i LOVED it... a fresh look at the whole alien invasion genre that somehow seems far more believable than the usual "independence day" type film...

9/10

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

Its been a long while since I saw Twin Town, but I enjoyed it. I'd go a little higher than 7/10, but maybe not as far as 8

Yeah, a bit of stereotyping, but, having lived in Swansea & Neath on & off for a few years, I think it was affectionately done & not unfair.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Well, its been a long day at the flicks for me, which may have coloured my judgement, but frankly, in the main, I'm glad I didn't have to pay for what I saw. In the order I saw them then:
Centurion
Sort of Gladiator vs Cross of Iron, with shades of Lord of The Rings, all well diluted. The landscape shots (trying to make Scotland look like NZ a la LOTR lol) are beautiful, but occasionally out of focus. The digital camera was well used for the fights, but the close-in frenzy is a bit overdone.
The film's strength is in the easy interaction of the main cast, but they are let down by a poor screenplay. There's a twist I didn't see coming, but they could have made much more of it: its not built up enough & resolved too quickly. The sound design is ok; a few nice SFX adding to the atmosphere, but the score is generally workmanlike. Still, overall, its worth seeing. The cinema would be much better than DVD, as there isn't enough plot to hold you on the small screen.
6.9/10

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Iron Man II
Ok, I didn't see the 1st, so I cant comment on the sequelisation angle. The CGI is flawless. The sound is big & exciting. The editing is snappy & drives the emotion from scene to scene excellently, but... & as they say, it is a big butt... somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts. Its just a bit pedestrian.
Robert Downey Jnr reminded me of some of Sean Connery's worst performances: ticked all the boxes but didn't give us much of what we know he's capable of. Sadly for RDJ, standing around like a plank isn't good enough, because A) he isn't as attractive as Sean Connery B) he doesn't have the cachet & C) we expect more from leading men these days. He seems to have gone for a Michael Douglas type of thing, but whereas Douglas gave us glimpses of what seemed like barely restrained emotion, RDJ seems to assume that his face is enough. It isn't.
Still, its a big loud action movie, so worth a cheap ticket to the cinema, but not a premium time price.
6.7/10

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Housefull
This I would've been happy to pay for. Its a sort of Shakespearian/farce/comedy of manners on roids, with slapstick, songs & gorgeous people. Seriously, its hilarious!
I'd say it'd help if you are familiar with Hindi films, or at least know some Indians, but there's so much general silliness that anyone can get a good laugh. Interestingly, the sound, whilst conforming to the genre (ie compressed to beyond FM radio limits), is a bit more subtle than many & may mark a beginning of a slightly more developed Indian film industry.
Its a long one, but does have an intermission, which is handy for the bladder, the nicotine addiction & more booze. The end drags a bit, as they head into the "Bollywood Ending", but the last song gives a good flavour of the fun they had making it. That said, I don't think there's any need to go to the cinema to see it. It'd work fine on a small screen.
7.8/10

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Dear John
Ok, by this stage the alcohol & a degree of cine-fatigue may have been kicking in & I also missed the very beginning, but I found this film dire. It tries to be The Deer Hunter & fails in every respect.
About the only good thing I can say about it is that the score does do what it should in this type of film, ie make you want to cry. However, whereas the score of The Deer Hunter is like a subliminal extra character, almost drawing you as the viewer into being that other character, through recapitulation, whilst simultaneously distancing you/all of us from the close-knit community we are watching, in Dear John its just tear-jerk mode.
Dont bother.
3/10

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
12 (2007)

www.imdb.com...

Russian interpretation of the acclaimed play "12 Angry Men". This time a Chechen boy has been accused of murdering his adoptive father (who was a retired officer). The 13 actors (the jurors and the boy) give excellent performances as we learn a lot about each of them. The ending is much different than the play, but the prejudices and other themes are universal. A-

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Ha Ha yeah, good film.
Still hear people quote it on a day-to-day basis...

Hot dogs for tea boys...
Buy your own f'¡ng glue... Etc.

And Neath!
Crazy random nights out there..
Not as good as the Pretty $h_t£y City though!!

Peace.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Love Exposure. 10/10

One of the few movies I enjoyed in every possible way.

It was a 4 hour rollercoaster of crazy crap, it felt refreshing and unique, and I didn't want it to end, and I loved the ending (shock)

Not a lot of 4 hour movies can do that.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The Blind Side. I know popular movie... Its a great feel good story and worth the watch. You get sucked in by the kids bad situtation and then blown away by the love given by his adopted family.

4 OUT OF 5 Stars

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I never saw it in the cinema in 3D, It is an amazing movie even without it.
It is the best example of how to make a 3D movie because it works perfectly fine in 2D. I don't even feel I need to see it in 3D though it would be cool.

10/10

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join