It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rate the movie you just watched

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Obsluhoval jsem anglického krále (I Served the King of England, 2006)

www.imdb.com...

This is a very well made serio-comic look at a man's life during the 1930s through WWII in Czechoslovakia. Jan Ditte (the younger played by Ivan Barney and the older played by Oldrich Kaiser) wants to be a millionaire and own his own fancy hotel. While the movie is described as a comedy, there are some disturbing images and very serious parts about the war. Good performances and a very interesting story in this movie from the Czech Republic. B+

Zaat (1975)

www.imdb.com...

This is a terrible horror movie about a mad scientist who wants to create a race of superior manfishes. He transforms himself into a rubber suited monster and goes about killing the people who deemed him a failure and try to transform a woman along the way. Not scary at all, and other than the hilarious looking monster, not funny in a bad way either. A total waste of time here. D- (F grades are reserved for the vilest of movies.)

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
This seems to be a thread for me, having watched over 2500 movies/documentaries (not to mention tv series) and still watching new stuff.

I watched the Contender

www.imdb.com...

Political movie about a new vice president that is slandered for her past while she tries getting into the white house.
6/10 *

"Wag the dog" is a better movie to watch.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I also watched The Contender this week. I rate it slightly better at 7/10. I give it a little extra boost because of the President's speech at the end of the movie.

I also watched Boondock Saints 1 & 2 this week. Part 1 I give a 9/10. Part 2 gets an 8/10.

I also watched Leap Year, it was a nice rom-com. My wife loved it and I "liked" it. For a rom-com, it was solid; so, I give it a 7/10.

Lastly, I watched one of my childhood favorites, Poltergeist. My wife had never seen it and she loved it, so watching her watch it made the movie seem new all over again to me. 8/10

Edit: I forgot, I watched Primary Colors too. I have seen it before, but that was years ago. I liked it . Travolta played the "Bill Clinton" like character so well that, at times, I forgot that I wasn't watching old "Slick Willie" himself. 8/10

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I just watched the Devils Rain and I thought it was okay. Maybe a seven or something. I always like a movie for the scenery too so there was plenty of interesting desert scenery. The people melting like wax left me a little puzzled but I guess its just a movie, what the hell?

You can watch the whole thing on You Tube

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Voyager1]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Thought this was a great film.

The Baader Meinhof Complex.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Watchmen

Finally watched it and liked it more than I thought I would.

8.5/10

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Turn the River (2007)

www.imdb.com...

Rip torn and Famke Janssen star in this indie movie about a pool hustler (Janssen) who is trying to win as many games as possible to take her son (played by Jayme Dornan) away from his abusive father. The plot is convoluted and ending is very predictable. The only saving grace are the three actors mentioned in this movie. I usually expect better from indie movies than the commercial big budget ones, so I am tougher on them. C-

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Montenegro (1981)

www.imdb.com...

Susan Anspach is wonderful as a housewife who has a nervous breakdown and stays with a group of Serbians in this Swedish film. Svetozar Cvetkovic stars as Montenegro, the young man who tends animals whom Marilyn (Susan) has an affair with. Unedited version was watched, and it has a few wilder scenes in it. I saw it a long time ago and am still not sure if I liked the ending to this movie. It is a very interesting and entertaining one. B+

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Robin Hood
The costumes, sets & scenery are sumptuous, except for the "White Horse": supposed to be a chalk carved landscape feature setting the film firmly in Olde Englande, except it looks terrible; just painted on the grass like a football pitch design or something. The acting is a bit forced, but then the characters are so 2D that I cant blame the cast. The score is repetitive & promises much more than the story or the actors deliver.
I'm surprised Ridley Scot put his name to it. I'm glad it was another freebie, but this time there was no champagne, so not that glad... 5/10

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
So Saturday night the wife and I are clicking through the channels and lo and behold, Land of the Lost was just starting. We rolled our eyes at each other, but I said, "Let's watch it until it's too unbearable. Nothing else on, anyway." So, we watched it. Right to the end. Maybe because all I'd heard was how horrible it was, I was pleasantly surprised. Will Ferrell played the same snarky, clueless, self-important and very funny character he always plays, and Danny McBride is hilarious in anything he does. I actually enjoyed the movie, and would watch it again at some point.

Now Avatar, all I'd heard was how great it was. Watched it Sunday. Meh. Great effects and scenery, but beyond that, I frankly didn't get the hoo hah. It just wasn't that good to me. I doubt I'd sit through it again. Personally, I was much more caught up in The Watchmen. I've watched that 3 times in the last year.

So there you go. For me, Land of the Lost was a more entertaining experience than Avatar. And that very well be more a product of expectation (or lack thereof) than anything else.

[edit on 5/12/2010 by yeahright]

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Four Lions
This is hilarious & totally made up for my effort in getting to the cinema early enough for the handshakes.
TBH, if you're not British then I imagine that you wouldn't get the full depth of the humour, beyond the clowning. Actually, even if you are British, you might have to have some experience of multicultural life to understand the full depths.
If you're expecting more of the same Chris Morris genius (director & 1 of 3 writers), you may well be pleasantly surprised by the extra degree of subtlety.
That said, the clowning is pretty funny on its own & the screenplay is clever enough that it constantly lulls you into thinking that Chris Morris' input has been watered down by collaboration, only to deliver & be even darker for that. Still, there's nothing in it that needs a big screen to showcase, so it'd be fine on DVD. Actually, there's no real need to discuss much of the technical aspects because it is kind of TV-ish writ large. However, I expect some may take this aspect as inexperienced film making &/or naive editing, but I'd say this concentrates the mind on the performances which are completely engaging enough that they dont need any fancy support. It has to be said that there is an intermitant filming/editing style which is used as a rather blunt instrument to set up the denouement, but as I said, as naive as it is, it provides moments of counterpoint that serve to renew the concentration on the excellent performances.
I'd tend towards 8/10, but because its so culture specific, I'm going to say 7.4 /10

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Skills Like This (2007)

www.imdb.com...

A "quirky" independent movie about a terrible playwrite who turns to robbing banks. The main problem with this movie is it has a premise but no movie to follow it. We get an incredibly stupid subplot about his idiot buddy trying to get a job. Even with all the pauses, the movie is under 90 minutes (thank goodness). Spencer Berger wrote this film (and stars), so he is to blame for it not working. I guess if it says quirky in the reviews and is an independent movie, then it has to be good...right? D

Hegwig and the Angry Inch (2001)

www.imdb.com...

John Cameron Mitchel plays Hedwig, an aspiring punk rock singer who has his music (and life) stolen from him by his former boyfriend Tommy Gnosis (Michael Pitt). This movie is hard to classify, but has comic, musical and many good qualities to it. I was interested in the story and the characters, and loved the musical numbers. A very different movie from a very different filmmaker. A

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Robin Hood (2010)....

Just saw it today. The plot is a bit wierd, since you already have the story of Robin Hood in your mind. This movie avoids the stereotype and normal story of Robin Hood, but if your into medieval style movies, this flick kicks
!!!!!!

Great action scenes, some humor, awesome sets and props.....for me, being a medieval junkie...I LOVED it.

Overall: 5/5 Stars

Plot: 3.5/5 Stars (Again only because the storyline of the classic Robin Hood is not present...only the character names)

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj1975

I agree that the new twist on the story is interesting, but dont you think it'd have been much better explored as a higher age certificate? The fight scenes are a big part of the dramatic vehicle, but they end up as 1 blow = 1 kill with no actual fighting, gore, or consequences. Its A-Team in sandals, propped up by big names whoring their way through a slow period &, by being restricted to the 12A audience, giving us almost nothing of what the cast are capable of. Then we get these huge orchestral swells, foreshadowing what ought to be powerful conflicts, but actually suddenly revert to primetime TV levels of engagement.

Compare it to films like Spartacus, 28 Days Later, or right now, Centurion. With the resources that this team had at their disposal, what they produced was unforgivable.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Putney Swope (1969)

www.imdb.com...

This is a rare counterculture satire on Madison Avenue types that is strange from start to finish. Arnold Johnson plays Putney Swope, a black worker for an ad agency who is voted chairman after the boss dies suddenly. He begins to make changes immediately, and starts making realistic commercials. The music was psychedelic, the satire was dead on in spots, but the movie is rather aged. A must for cult movie fans, and those interested in period humor of the time. C+

Donnie Darko (2001)

This is a cult following that some people call one of the best movies ever made. I don't think it is the best, but it is quite good. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a paranoid schizophrenic teenager who has visions of a man in a rabbit suit named Frank who tells him the world is going to end. While he has his first vision after following the voice to a country club, his room is destroyed by a jet engine. The movie is quite different and I wanted to know what was going to happen next. Was this all in Donnie's mind? A good supporting cast rounds out this story, which has some problems with filler. (There is a director's cut out there, but this version had a hard enough time sustaining its running time.) B

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Un conte de Noël (A Christmas Tale, 2008)

www.imdb.com...

Catherine Deneuve is marvelous in this movie about a family's reunion at Christmas. She plays Junon, the matriarch who needs a bone marrow transplant. The film is ultimately about forgiveness and love in a family. Some good performances are given in this movie, and the two small children are scene stealers. A-

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Three very good movies i've watched this past week include:

Killshot
Powder Blue
Book Of Eli

All of which i'd give 8 or 9 out of 10 but what i'm looking forward to is this one:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Invictus 9/10

I normally dont rate movies this high, but this was educative and touching. Clint Eastwood does it again. Morgan Freeman superb.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The Million Dollar Hotel (2000)

www.imdb.com...

Mel Gibson stars in this rather strange comedy about a death at a seedy hotel full of crazy people and "characters". Jeremy Davies plays Tom Tom, the young man who is helping Gibson's FBI character solve the crime (if it was one). This movie seems to want to be a comedy, a thought provoking piece, and an art film. That is the problem is it tries too hard and runs too long. These characters can be a bit annoying (although the actors are wonderful), and spending two hours with them is asking too much. Written by Bono (who should stick to music). C

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

www.imdb.com...

Tommy Lee Jones stars in (and directed) this movie about a Texas rancher who follows his promise to bury his friend in Mexico. This movie has beautiful scenery, and good performances enhance this modern Western tale. Jones has a grizzled look to him that perfectly fits his role, and anything he does is always interesting. B+

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What Alice Found (2003)

www.imdb.com...

This is a mistitled movie, as Alice doesn't really find anything mysterious. The opening shots of this movie suggest a mystery/suspense movie, but it is anything but that. Emily Grace plays Alice, a young girl on her way to some friends at college in Florida. She meets an older couple played by Judith Ivey and Bill Raymond when she has car trouble. She finds out Sandra (Judith) is a prostitute and slowly decides to become one herself.

Most of the actors here have only done one or two roles, and the movie has a real life quality to it. It is not a bad movie, but it has too many predictable qualities to it. I do like Judith Ivey, and she does make it watchable. Emily Grace is also attractive and hopefully she will get more acting jobs. C

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join