It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 55
<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Ladies where are you? Come out to Plaaaaay!!!!!

Arrrrgh there any females on the U-man ship?

No girls on Penelope.

Girls don't like us! I think we may not be bad-boy-ish enough, but we DO try!

Deson: those wings fly straight, don't they? As I recall, seed with wings like that tend to 'helicopter' to the ground in a pretty dizzy ride... probably helps that you have two of 'em, as flying with one wing is like clapping with one hand
And it does very well at taking 'the mountain' wherever you want it to be.

I'm not on the Yydryl, but I like the conveyance, so long as there aren't any body-snatchers around. Fits very well with the 'organic' nature of the ship.

The 4-legged crawler reminds me of something I saw on the news the other day. Military has it under development, looks like a 4- legged robot, called a 'DOG'. It can carry up to 300 lbs over a battlefield, and the news report showed a soldier kicking the devil out of the side of it, but it regained balance and never fell over.

[edit on 2009/4/3 by nenothtu]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Deson: those wings fly straight, don't they? As I recall, seed with wings like that tend to 'helicopter' to the ground in a pretty dizzy ride... probably helps that you have two of 'em, as flying with one wing is like clapping with one hand

I think that they will do fine. I was careful when making the original BMP to make sure that they were equal on both sides. Copy/paste and flip does wonders for that. I also plan on adding a fuselage and tail structure as well. That should help take care of any stability problems although I'll admit that I'm no aeronautical engineer by any means.

That may be for the better if I'm not since I've had some rather amusing incidents involving the time years ago when I decided to combine Model rocket engines and Styrofoam gliders. Helpful hint. Keep in mind Thrust to weight ratio and don't make it too high or you'll have your own glider coming back at you at a high rate of speed!! (chuckle)

One thing that I figure is that since humans are developing warpable metals, a set of "Muscles" in the wings and perhaps a small "sub brain" (think the instincts of a bird) might be of help in an organic tech.

I figure that the closest thing to such a sub brain with wings that don't flap would be that of a Flying fish and might be used as "avionics" in such a craft.

Edit to add:

The 4-legged crawler reminds me of something I saw on the news the other day. Military has it under development, looks like a 4- legged robot, called a 'DOG'. It can carry up to 300 lbs over a battlefield, and the news report showed a soldier kicking the devil out of the side of it, but it regained balance and never fell over.

Oh I take it that your referring to the TSV scout?

Oh that doesn't walk, it will fly once I complete the subsystems for it. Gyro, flight packs, control systems etc.

Now THIS will be a completed walker for the Terrans. Note that the main body and that pill shape are only placeholders for right now.

yeah, I get ideas sometimes. (chuckle)

[edit on 3-4-2009 by Deson]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Well maybe we will be having a black hole slumber party soon.

Oh, that sounds.... well ......

Maybe some cross-species romances?

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

You really are all about the offspring.

Any suggestions on what we do about all of the mergin' and warin' goin' on?

I'm stumped.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Well maybe we will be having a black hole slumber party soon.

Oh, that sounds.... well ......

Maybe some cross-species romances?

Careful how ya say that to a space - sailor! Besides, neno DID spend an inordinate amount of time alone on a deserted jungle planet... and ever since he's been on Penelope, things have been moving too fast for any... companionship..
I got a sleeping bag, you got beer?

Loam: as an initial suggestion, keep your eyes peeled for Ophiuchi Boarding parties! But more in depth, us puny U-Mans are at a loss as to how to contact QA, but she's had, well, a bit of experience contacting us! Question is, who gets hit first by the Ophiuchis? And how are we to determine what the other side has to offer in an alliance? I'm thinking THAT might be what would prompt an initial contact. More thoughts once I investigate angles and distances.

[edit on 2009/4/4 by nenothtu]

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

But here's my problem. If we both wait for THEM, then the two of us remain at opposite ends of the universe. If we both go there, under what pretense would we BOTH do that?

That's why I'm stumped.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Alrighty then. It looks like Ophiucius is almost directly opposite in the sky from Orion. Put more simply, Earth is between Orion and Ophiucius, so it looks like Earth would be in their path first. Bummer. The trouble will break out at Federation outposts in the direction of Barnard's Star, but WAY beyond it, in the neighborhood of 17 Hours right ascention (about 30 degrees galactic longitude), distance around 500 light years, if that's taken as the Federation boundary. I've got some old maps I did for an Astrophysics project when I was in college, I'll see can I dig them up to show what I mean.

Edit: we, on Earth, won't have to wait on THEM. When they start expanding out, away from the MACHO, they will run straight into the Earth Federation. After they've eaten us, the Orion Consortium, or whatever your government is, will be next on the hit list.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Just a brief note here.

It's late for me and I've got a bunch of fellow role playing gamers coming over tomorrow for our weekly game.

I've got part of the platform for the Bioconveyor completed. Now working on safety railings. Completed a small control panel for the platform consisting of a pedestal, and a summon elevator button. To tell it to either go up or down, I figure that once you enter (through the round hatch) you press either up or down.

While working on it I think I figured out how such an organic Elevator might work.

I figure that muscle is a living entity. The muscle system would come from a very primitive creature who's main goal in life was get food. With an IQ on par with an Amoeba. ok, on the platform (if the pod isn't there you press the button on the pedestal). This sends a "Food is here" signal to the muscle. It goes to the nearest food supply (the floor that the button was pushed) and stops when it gets to where the "food" is. You enter it and press a button for whatever floor you want to go to. The muscle receives the signal that there is "food" at the floor. It goes up and stops and you get out. If someone presses the button on a floor between where you are and where you are going then it pauses and that person enters. You then goto your floor and get out. Note that the Muscle never actually receives the "Food" just the signal that there is food there. It's actually feed from the track enough to keep it healthy (and at regular intervals) but it's gullet has the nerves that say "ok, I'm full" blocked off. So it's always looking for more food.

What do you think? Does my system for controlling a organic elevator make sense?

Anyhoo, I'm just a bit groggy, so I'll peruse the site a little bit and crash out. I probably won't be online until Sunday.

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

test test

reply to post by loam

Any suggestions on what we do about all of the mergin' and warin' goin' on?
I'm stumped.

Hi you,

Antar already posted in her storyline that her Father will aid in this Big Rip, be one to help *save* everyone.
In conjunction I've already posted about the galaxy wide Bounty on the guys head.
Everyone should be interested in the reward I would think.
From there shouldn't we begin looking for him *officially*?
Might take us in the direction we need to go to *merge* with the Penelope.

Speaking of the Penelope isn't she looking just smashing lately!

Oh, and since the crew seems to be having a few questions concerning Captain Cadbury why not you give a announcement over Ships intercommunicator or something?
Crew needs one of those 150 word wonders - updating what's up with Captain. (So do the readers of the Saga)...

PS - I asked Masqua to kindly change your eyes from blue to green in my post.
How did I mess That up!

EDIT: Masqua - Sorry to bother you! I just saw my *edit* capabilities are still open on the last post of mine! I changed the color of his eyes to green! Thanks again!

*Calling out Whisper and QA - Where are youuuuuuuuuuuuu twoooo!*

[edit on 3-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Here's a map of what we're talking about. I drew this as one of a series in 1993 for an astrophysics project in college. Had to do it by hand back then. I've added a blue circle, to represent the Federation border, assuming a center at Earth, radius of 500 light years. I added a gold circle, to represent the Orion Consortium, assuming a center at Rigel, and a 500 light year radius (you KNOW my intel is bad, right? had to use assumptions) The Orion Nebula, M42, is a square right on the gold border, in the upper left quadrant. I've added a double-headed arrow, showing the Earth - Ophiuchius direction. The map is drawn to scale, and everything is in it's proper position and relationship in the real galaxy, including the direction to Ophiuchi. The view is from the North Galactic Pole, Galactic Center towards the bottom of the map. As can be seen, the Federation is all that stands between the Ophiuchis and the Regellians, and the Earth Federation is on the attack path first.

The Map

If this link doesn't work at first, I'm still working on it....

Looks like it works. Now, what I'm thinking is that if CindyMars is a 'timewalker', it's possible that she may be aware of this invasion from her future travels, and the impact on the Regellians if the Federation falls... just a thought.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
reply to post by SLAYER69

May I use this one too? They are both excellent! Any of us could use it, hey where is Qa and Whisper? I miss them!

Me too!

Ladies where are you? Come out to Plaaaaay!!!!!

Ladies I'll be doing a whole line of matching handbags and ear rings

We'll call it the SLAYER line guaranteed to knock em dead Darling!

[edit on 4-4-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I think you boo boo'd.

Looks like you quoted your own post.

Masqua will have to change blue to green afterall....among other things.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Now my Father may have actually gone rougue, his work if he is still alive could hold the key to repairing the big rip as he 'could' send in his bionanobots to do the job, however his agenda may be geared more towards the Dark Lords plans for the Universe... poor antar if thats the case.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Yydryl Crew: I can fix that map to more closely reflect the story universe if you'll tell me:

1) The approximate center of your empire
2) The approximate radius of your empire, and
3) The name of your empire, or political unit

In any event, it's most likely the Ophiuchis will eat the Earth Federation first.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Deson

What do you think? Does my system for controlling a organic elevator make sense?

This system you’ve come up with makes great sense.
It keeps the *life* in the elevator single minded - FOOD - and that's a GREAT thing at the moment as having a *free will* elevator could become quite tiresome.

Having too many Ship personalities could get quite confusing if all the sum of her parts descided not to interact as one body.

I hope you read my post concerning Ship and Her identity - I’ve been working on a post for it this morning - was ready to add it here when I read this post - they compliment each other and I’d like your opinion.

Great Idea!

Plus that means YOU have to give elevator it's dialog!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Yydryl Crew

When I first read Ship is live - in my way of thinking this translated into Ship is Alive.

Antars Father put Life into Droids, as we see in Ship.
Just how far does that Life and intelligence go?

Ship has a personality, sure, but is she ruled by the Captain like She's a Crew Member?
Is Ship a servant, or to be served, or both?

I mean, we just *used* Ship to blow up a planet.
What if She didn't agree or, we asked Ship to do something against Her will?
In other words does She have Free Will?

Ships droids (it seems) are programmed to serve Ship, but without any intelligence to them.
Ship on the other hand is a whole other story.

What are your opinions?

I vote She has free will.

Thanks...Text Green Yydryl Crew

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Deson, I was thinking that the Bioconveyer would be able to take orders, that would set it apart from 3rd dimensional technology, it would have the ability to interface telepathically even, but to simply enter and say where you want to go would be better for the reader.

Silo, could you have possibly been kidnapped by my father and placed onboard the Yydryl as a sort of spy for him? perhaps you would have been preprogrammed to control the Ships systems and override all commands?

This would enable his work with the Dark Lords agenda to go against what we as a collective alien U-man alike see as the only hope for the Univere.

Also if there are any readers who would like to join, we could use a Dark Lord as well as the character of my Father. Neither would have to be a full time position as they would simply join in from time to time to make a living hell for the other regular characters.

I dont know, what do you guys think, yes or no? Those characters would be like wildcards within the storyline.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Also I wonder if Whisper and Qa picked up a virus from that nasty bug April first? I know I lost my brand new comp and am forced to use this slow and horrible comp until I can *shamefully* inform my comp guy I just wasted the new comp he just built me... I hate to see his face, I hope he doesnt go postal on me.... Hes the manager of the local wally supercenter and the best most mellow man ever, however it is almost comical how he has had to keep coming back again and again... I wonder if I should just switch to Mac? maybe less trouble...

I am making a trip to Az in june and my bro told me to bring my own comp as he wont let me near his, lol. Thing is I do have the ability to screw up anything electronic, one time at Wally, I touched the cashiers arm as she had her hand on her register and it lit up the light on her call light, made the register pop open and start making all kinds of noise and finally shut down. We were both in the meantime getting the frizzle shock of our life time.

She FREAKED. My kids were laughing as they had been touching me all through the store and making audible as well as visual sparks. People in the isles faces were priceless as they watched and tried to avoid us.

Finally the cashier said, "I have read that people have this happen but I never believed it!" I just told her yep, it is real. She ended saying, "Well cant the doctor DO anything? Give you something for it?" I just laughed and said, what do you think the doctor is going to say if I tell him? No this is not acknowledged by current science.

Street lamps? yes, I recall driving through LA on a freeway and watching as all the lights go off as we drove by, being a young girl I just sat quietly watching.

My family, just ignores me but energy is something I feel strongly about.

Ok so now you know something about antar in RL.

I MISS our Girls!!! Hurry back Qa and Whisper!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Oh and I cannot control it, and it comes and goes on its own. So no proof. I could get the wally woman to tell her side, but nah, I hate going to wally.

Oh could you imagine if I got an RFID chip, lol!

[edit on 4-4-2009 by antar]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Love the map!

Any way to include bits of it into the main thread?

On the mergin' and warring as announced by NATURE, nothing is, as yet, precipitous to either the Rigellians or Earthlings. There is a threat, to be sure... nothing like the destruction of a galaxy for causing the displacement of the predominant alien race of that cosmic region.

Just how and when that danger presents itself I think can be worked out in this thread before the main thread changes tactics. Remember that Earth and Rigel don't trust each other all that much yet.

The gravitational waves are no threat at all, just a warning of the impending collision of two rather lagre black holes.

The crew of the Penelope, as you've figured out, will be first to prepare for the expected raiders, but the Rigellians also need to be prepared.

Diplomatic missions geared to combine forces?
The scars from old wars resurfacing?

BTW... there's another potential role player wanting to contribute.

I'll wait until the 'entrance' is made in this thread. You might want to consider which crew and what purpose they might be able to achieve.

PS... do I need to do any further edits for anyone or has it been taken care of?

top topics

<< 52  53  54    56  57  58 >>

join