It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 56
<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
PS... do I need to do any further edits for anyone or has it been taken care of?

Looks like in an effort to change blue to green, silo double posted.

[edit on 4-4-2009 by loam]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Sure, parts of the map, or any of the other ones, can be incorporated into the main thread. I DO need to firm up the area of the Regellian Empire, or whatever it is, for the final version. The maps I drew start at a 5 parsec radius from Earth (about 16.3 light years), and each succesive map the radius increases by a factor of 10x (5, 50, 500 etc.) out to 50,000 parsecs (about 163,082 light years), encompassing all the then know galaxies in the local group. Two views for each radius, one from the galactic north pole, and another from the galactic center. The one I posted is the last one in which individual stars show up (there are just too many), and only the very brightest show up in it.

The original scans are quite a bit larger than the one I posted, so detail would show up better in crops.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Masqua - Silo's post is still there, but the quotation has been removed from the second one. Now, it's just a normal double post.

Silo made corrections to the second one, so the first one probably needs to be removed.

[edit on 2009/4/4 by nenothtu]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

*Calling out Whisper and QA - Where are youuuuuuuuuuuuu twoooo!*

I posted on the main thread in the wee hours of the morning (4/4). So glad no one was on as I had to edit that thing like 10x to get my pics right. I kept using the 'embed on ATS' link from the media portal vs the http link. Thanks so much loam or I'd never be able to do these thingies. I've also spent much of my time this week researching the Big Rip theories, downloading pic software and teaching myself about these things. As well as dealing with a sick lil 6 yr old girl. Just because I'm quiet, doesn't mean I'm not working on the opera. I've even gone out and bought a specific notebook and folder just for this project. :blush:

I follow the dialog in the working thread many times a day and don't post unless I think I have something of value to contribute...if I agree, I give the post a star instead of wasting space posting 'I agree with you'. On that note, I'm very impressed with the work loam and Neno are doing. Astrophysics?
Dang Neno, Impressive indeed!

CM:Your comments in the working thread are cracking me up
*stars* 4U Dahhling.

Whisper is looking forward to waking up to some action! Heh, and I don't mean with Scurvy but, she'll take what she can get

[edit on 4/4/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67

*Calling out Whisper and QA - Where are youuuuuuuuuuuuu twoooo!*

I'm very impressed with the work loam and Neno are doing. Astrophysics?
Dang Neno, Impressive indeed!

[edit on 4/4/2009 by Whisper67]

No need, I 'quituated' instead of 'graduated'
. Suddenly had mouths to feed

I still try to follow 'stuff', but a lot of it is over my head. My specialty was the 3 dimensional structure of nearby space - 'starmapping'. That's how I ran into Celestia - trying to keep up with 'stuff'. I was a little over 30 years old at the time, and my 'learner' wasn't working as well as it did when I was younger, but I thought it would beat toting a gun for a living.

[edit on 2009/4/4 by nenothtu]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Neno: Well, that's still nice brain matter you got there! Regardless if you graduated, your area of interest is impressive and had to take a lot just to qualify for the class. Don't minimize yourself. I still give you

Oh and I just looked it up and I last posted in the working thread on 3/31 like um, four days ago and the main thread on 3/30.

Since masqua asked us to keep our comments on topic, I've tried to curtail my witty (If only to myself lol) comments.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'll check it out

Originally posted by nenothtu
The original scans are quite a bit larger than the one I posted, so detail would show up better in crops.

It'll be nice to see such details in the main thread later on, when the discussion really turns to a third party becoming a problem. Nothing that needs to be worked on quick, imo.

I'll delete the first then. Thanks for the clarification.

Originally posted by Whisper67

I've also spent much of my time this week researching the Big Rip theories, downloading pic software and teaching myself about these things.

Perfect. I'm on a learning curve as well and so will anyone else be reading these threads. That's what's so great about collaboration. We can all work on what interests us individually, bring it to the table and add it to the wealth of information we've gathered already.

Take care of that wee muppet, Whisper, she's more important than anything here and RL issues gotta take first priority.

Did I mention you guys all amaze me?

[edit on 4/4/09 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I must admit the story line has really picked up.
Awesome job everybody. I should be writing a little more later tonight and hopefully tomorrow. I was hoping to get some more response from the Penelope crew in their posts so I could tie in more to the current situation aboard the Penelope.

I must not be worthy.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Deson, I was thinking that the Bioconveyer would be able to take orders, that would set it apart from 3rd dimensional technology, it would have the ability to interface telepathically even, but to simply enter and say where you want to go would be better for the reader.

Hmm, Here's my thoughts. Personally I think that incorporating telepathy into the situation might create some problems because if you throw telepathy into the mix for something as mundane as an elevator then you would have to assume that it's widespread tech and where do you draw the line?

A vocal interface however makes sense. I figure the command structure might be something like "pod, level 12 please." "pod" would signal for it to listen to the next few words. In this example "Level 12" would tell it where to go and the term "Please" would tell it to not listen any further. I figure that due to the structure of the command it wouldn't be likely to come up during normal conversation.

I mean who says something like that in normal conversation? You could also give it specific commands like "Pod, lock down please" and that would shut it down. Specific command staff and security personnel would have access and their voice prints would be "Recorded" for such a command.

And I see no problem with having buttons in case of someone who can't speak for example.

Just a thought.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
No I idea how a double post could happen one before and then one after a post by Masqua?
That is too weird.

As for the Stowaway badge - should not it have stayed before I was *upgraded*?

Those badges are gone on my earlier posts.

I should think that both should be used - it's quite clear in the posts when the change takes place from Stowaway to Attendant to Ship...

Sorry about the double post but it makes no sense to me - all I did was go back in and Edit where I had left in quotes...

UGH!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Yydryl Crew

When I first read Ship is live - in my way of thinking this translated into Ship is Alive.

Antars Father put Life into Droids, as we see in Ship.
Just how far does that Life and intelligence go?

Ship has a personality, sure, but is she ruled by the Captain like She's a Crew Member?
Is Ship a servant, or to be served, or both?

I mean, we just *used* Ship to blow up a planet.
What if She didn't agree or, we asked Ship to do something against Her will?
In other words does She have Free Will?

Ships droids (it seems) are programmed to serve Ship, but without any intelligence to them.
Ship on the other hand is a whole other story.

What are your opinions?

I vote She has free will.There were episodes in "Farscape" regarding the freewill chouces of the ship. Just fyi

Thanks...Text Green Yydryl Crew

Are you familiar with "Farscape" ? The ship was alive and sentient, it had a name, it even had a baby. It's navigator was it's commuter and liaison with the crew more or less. So we need to make this unique and our own. In my second post, I worked with the ship to alter the environment in my room but I did not consider its personality. So you are going to give it a name, and personality cool!

There were episodes of "Farscape" dedicated to the freewill of the ship Moya.

Its all good we just need to make it our own.

This cannot read story thread from home old mac.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Also I wonder if Whisper and Qa picked up a virus from that nasty bug April first? I know I lost my brand new comp and am forced to use this slow and horrible comp until I can *shamefully* inform my comp guy I just wasted the new comp he just built me... I hate to see his face, I hope he doesnt go postal on me....

I was so in hopes that wouldn't happen to anyone here!

So sorry your computer got hit... (Boo!)

Whisper is back (yay!) - but I've not seen QA yet...

Will keep hoping she didn't get hit too...

Hope all works out with your computer!

PS: I agree my being on Ship has something to do with your Father, even though for now it seems the Captain.
As for being *Programmed* - I can't be.
(I already took care of that in posts way back when QA was in her mind control mode.)
There is definitely a connection I agree, I'm not sure what it is, yet, but I know it isn't I've gone off to the Dark Side either intentionally or no...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

"Perfect. I'm on a learning curve as well and so will anyone else be reading these threads. That's what's so great about collaboration. We can all work on what interests us individually, bring it to the table and add it to the wealth of information we've gathered already."

I do understand it requires a lot of research. I too have a notebook and still not up to speed, knowing all the names and planets and so on.......

I have spent the morning studying a system regarding, time, space. time portals and so on.

Then we have to consider the interactions with all the story (much like life) LOL
I am learning so much about things that I believe by attempting to live it through my character and the story. It has been a deep and inspiring process.

So it is really going to take a lot of consideration how I proceed in this story as not to paint myself into a corner. If you know what I mean?

Whisper I just missed you, I did not think that you were abandoning us in any way. Hope your daughter is feeling better. Thanks for the compliment. (blush)

[edit on 4-4-2009 by cindymars]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

Hi Cindymars,

Are you familiar with "Farscape" ? The ship was alive and sentient, it had a name, it even had a baby. It's navigator was it's commuter and liaison with the crew more or less.

Nope, have no idea what it is - I'll look it up.

So we need to make this unique and our own.

Agreed!

In my second post, I worked with the ship to alter the environment in my room but I did not consider its personality.

Ok so it’s just me. No problem.

So you are going to give it a name, and personality cool!

Since day one I’ve called Ship *Ship* - not *the Ship*...

I’ve not given it a personality - one reason I wanted to check with others first, as I don’t want to influence other peoples posts.
I will be interacting a great deal with Ship, so I’ll just have to be careful it doesn’t go to far beyond just me, if at all.

There were episodes of "Farscape" dedicated to the freewill of the ship Moya.

Its all good we just need to make it our own.

I’m so glad you brought this to my attention!

No, there will be no naming and making Ship a seperate Being - I’ll keep it as vague as I can.
It’s already in the storyline about Antar’s Father working with Driods, Ship, etc,
I can interact on my own without making it an issue for everyone else.

Thanks tons!

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

And then there are the possibilities of you, being the only one with a 'personal' relationship with Ship, being a 'go-between' for the crew-Ship relations... say, for instance, in some as yet unthought of crisis... quite a shock to the crew, not realizing that Ship was sentinent, eh?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Another question...carpet? Is carpet, as in wall to wall carpet, part of "Ship"? Or is carpet as I envisioned it in your original post (which I have only read once) a rug?

I am going to have reread the story a few more times, me thinks.
I love carpet, I want to be able to visualize carpet. Is carpet ship and ship, carpet?

Hope I am not annoying you. I am just a fan of the story.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Whisper gets a sense of peace from lazilyl dragging her tentacle along the ships interior but, agreed I don't belive she knows the nature of the origin of the Yydrl - lookie there, it already has a name

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Please welcome Ensign Duggan to the crew of the Penelope.

Interrex Captain Loam... could you please give Ensign Duggan his blue badge?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Greetings, Duggan! Welcome aboard! Have you selected an occupational specialty yet?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Glad to have you aboard Duggan, the more U-man jerky the merrier!

new topics

top topics

<< 53  54  55    57  58  59 >>

join