It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black people 'less intelligent' scientist claims

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I can't wait until the process of miscegenation finally overcomes us and "The Race of the Future" dominates the earth. All of our great great grandchildren will look like Dwyane "The Rock" Johnson and Mariah Carey and be twice as intelligent

edit on 7/20/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

You are misunderstanding what we are proposing, either that or you deny it.

jn.nutrition.org...

www.livestrong.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

Here is a peer reviewed article, the process is scientific fact.

These studies show prenatal nutrition affects brain size throughout life, nutrition affects brain function which would affect IQ test performance etc. Please read the whole of the articles.

I have not been disrespectful to you in any way, though you have repeatedly disrespected me in this thread. Example ; Your comment about making the argument about sexuality, baseless assumptions about my intelligence. I will no longer contribute to this thread as I have made my point, defended it repeatedly and received abuse from you for attempting to help you to understand. I respect your belief, I disagree with you.

'Nobody likes a smart arse is a very common British saying, anyone on here, from Britain can confirm that. The statement was not directed at any individual.
edit on 20-7-2011 by Threegirls because: To correct a misunderstanding

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

The average IQ of sub-Saharan blacks is 75. This is borderline retarded. When you consider that is an average it means at least half of them have lower IQs. I suspect this is a major part of Africa's problems. While there were many injustices and atrocities during colonial times it is also true most Africans were probably better off then.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
It can alter how the genes that you have are EXPRESSED, but that does not change what genes ARE expressed.

Wrong. Not only can methylation determine what copy (paternal or maternal or both) of a gene is expressed, but in case of multiple copies (there are e.g. numerous slightly different nuclear rns genes) it can also determine which of those are expressed. Further methylation affects splicing of 100s if not 1000s of genes leading to various different proteins from the same exact gene.
edit on 20-7-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Threegirls

You are misunderstanding what we are proposing, either that or you deny it.

Look, YOU don't understand what you are posting....

You are arguing from ignorance here... your study says nothing of the sort that you are claiming, and it is nowhere NEAR what you state as fact.

You are making hyperbolic assertions based upon incomplete data, that has absolutely nothing to do with what your main point IS.

There is a very *BIG* difference between adult onset hypertension, and diabetes.... and an overall 10% increase in brain tissue.

This is a classic case of:

1. Argument from ignorance
2. Argumentum Verbosium
3. False attribution
4. Incomplete comparison
5. Kettle logic
6. Mind Projection Fallacy
7. Wishful thinking

Now, these are all logical fallacies that you have dredged up in this discussion, and it doesn't make your assertion true, just because you REALLY REALLY want it to be.

I have not been disrespectful to you in any way

YOU CALLED ME AN ARSE![/SIZE]
edit on 20-7-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: cut, print, that's a wrap

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ErtaiNaGia

Were you addressing me for any specific reason?

Not really although after reading some of your posst I thought you might be interested.

This post shows the continuation of the cultural difference I was talking about with a healthy helping from TPTB. and yes it was further back a few pages (pg 7 in 2009):
the black culture in America (USA) : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Wrong. Not only can methylation determine what copy (paternal or maternal or both) of a gene is expressed, but in case of multiple copies (there are e.g. numerous slightly different nuclear rns genes) it can also determine which of those are expressed. Further methylation affects splicing of 100s if not 1000s of genes leading to various different proteins from the same exact gene.

You completely misread what I meant.

Edrick
It can alter how the genes that you have are EXPRESSED, but that does not change what genes ARE expressed.

I was referring to the GENES that you have... as in, it can't change WHAT genes you have.

And you have still failed to explain how this changes anything at all.

You are still talking about how cells develop from stem cells to whatever cells they become.

You have no proof that what you say is true, and is merely conjecture at this point, and the underlying genetics STILL don't change, so any cellular anomalies don't last that long anyway (maybe a few generations).

You are arguing something that you have absolutely no proof for, just to justify your emotional desire for what you want to BE true.

Your diet CANNOT make you smarter.

Your intelligence is determined by your genetics.
edit on 20-7-2011 by ErtaiNaGia because: changed reply name

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
OH MY GOD!!! BEING STARVED MAKES YOUR BRAIN WORK LESS THAN IF YOU HAD FOOD TO EAT!!!

OH MY GOD!!!

Listen, and Listen Good.

Your "Publications" state that not having food to eat makes your brain work poorly... yeah, DUH, but guess what?

When you finally get a good meal, you don't get "Smarter" you just return to the level of intelligence that was ALREADY set by your genetics.

Your argument is that adding fuel to a car makes it go faster than it was designed to go

"Well, if it didn't have any fuel in it to begin with"

Ya, funny... HAHA.

I'm in stitches.

Learn how to argue, and comprehend things.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I have a better than average understanding of what intelligence is and what it isn't achieved mostly from earning a BS in Psychology in 1979 and being a member of Mensa for over 20 years.

For anyone else who wants a more thorough understanding of race and differences in intelligence and it's implications, read this:

www.udel.edu...

edit on 20-7-2011 by wasco2 because: erase quote

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

I did not write the quote you are attributing to me.

Huh....

Wow... sorry about that.

I'll change it.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I was referring to the GENES that you have... as in, it can't change WHAT genes you have.

I stated this in my first reply to you. It doesn't alter your genomic sequence. However, it does affect how your genome is expressed. You now agree to this? So, suppose during your development your mother is lacking in nutrients, this can lead to e.g. smaller brains as "mitosis switch" is turned into off position in your developing brains by methylation in response to lack of building blocks. One might hypothesize such incident affects intelligence.

Your intelligence is determined by your genetics.

Including epigenetics. Further, all thou there's a strong genetic component to intelligence, intelligence is not determined by genetics alone (if it were all identical twins would show identical IQ, but they don't).

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The most obvious and important factor contributing to low intelligence in blacks would be slavery. The man kept them down, even in Africa. Education of blacks was not allowed and this cultural influence caused an atrophy that remains today.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

When you finally get a good meal, you don't get "Smarter" you just return to the level of intelligence that was ALREADY set by your genetics.

Oh, cool! So when Jamal from Nigeria (malnutrition since birth to 20 years of age) starts receiving proper food, some switch turns in his braincells and they start dividing again, increasing his brain size? Care to tell us how this happens (perhaps point to a few scientific publications too) as this would revolutionize the treatment of various genetic diseases.
edit on 20-7-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAnonUK

what a very less intelligent comment

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
I would not go so far as to say one race of people is somehow genetically more intelligent than another, but common sense tells us that talents and achievement have not been equally distributed across the globe and across different ethnic groups. This can be due to genetics, but can also be due to culture or envirnomental factors. Here are some examples.

For one reason or another, Black people seem to dominate certain sports like Sprinting and Basketball. Sure there are some fast non-Black people or good basketball players that are not Black, but if you watch the Olympics or the NBA, sprinting and basketball are dominated by Black people. I cannot say whether this is due to genetics, environment, social conditions, culture, or a combination of these factors. Nevertheless, the phenomenon is clearly present.

For one reason or another, Asian American Students students outperform other students. Sure you can find an Asian student with poor test scores, and non-Asian students who have excellent test scores, but on average, Asian students get the best test scores. Again, this can be genetics, it can be culture, it can be envirnoment, or a mixture of all these factors. Nevertheless, Asian students do better than non-Asian students.

Correlation is not causation. What this guy is saying is not scientific because he's making a claim that any intelligence difference is genetic, yet he brings forth no evidence and even makes the claim that we'll find intelligence genes in the next 10 or so years. And a lot of these 'studies' that hint at these differences are biased in some way. Many are from decades ago when there was still a lot of racial prejudice present in even academia. So I wouldn't jump ahead and run with it just yet. If there is indeed a difference, I think there's a lot of evidence behind the notion that environmental and cultural differences can explain it. For example, even just small things during pregnancy impact IQ later in life. Human behavior in the midst of poverty can produce lower IQ's.
edit on 20-7-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I stated this in my first reply to you. It doesn't alter your genomic sequence. However, it does affect how your genome is expressed. You now agree to this?

Yes, I said in a previous post that it was my mistake to say that it doesn't effect HOW the genes are expressed, but I think you are looking for a battleship in an outhouse. (pardon my metaphor)

So, suppose during your development your mother is lacking in nutrients, this can lead to e.g. smaller brains as "mitosis switch" is turned into off position in your developing brains by methylation in response to lack of building blocks. One might hypothesize such incident affects intelligence.

One might suspect that abortion effects intelligence, or that having your face smashed in effects your intelligence... and you know what?

They DO.

But that does not mean that you could somehow get SMARTER by staying away from hammers.

The factors that you are describing have a possibility of DECREASING your genetically set intelligence level, but they could not make you more intelligent than your genetics dictate.

Including epigenetics. Further, all thou there's a strong genetic component to intelligence, intelligence is not determined by genetics alone (if it were all identical twins would show identical IQ, but they don't).

Yes, this is true, but Intelligence is MAINLY genetic, and the twin studies prove this.... I think the correlation was something like 0.8 for genetics.

What I am saying, is that your genetics dictate your MAXIMUM intelligence.

You CAN get dumber, due to various factors... like the aforementioned hammer to the face, or a car accident, or malnourishment.

But you are NOT getting smarter than your genetics dictate, because your genetics are the blueprint for how your body is built.

You can mess up the building process, and that will result in a building that is worse off than the blueprints dictate... but you are not going to get a "BETTER" building than what is on the blueprints.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Oh, cool! So when Jamal from Nigeria (malnutrition since birth to 20 years of age) starts receiving proper food, some switch turns in his braincells and they start dividing again, increasing his brain size? Care to tell us how this happens (perhaps point to a few scientific publications too) as this would revolutionize the treatment of various genetic diseases.

What are you talking about?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
As far as I know, the old "nature vs. nurture" debate is not solved yet for intelligence, so indeed, important genetic component may be a plausible hypothesis. I am not going to pretend otherwise just because of political correctness BS, which has no place in science. On the other hand, the alternative theory that the difference is caused primarily by social and cultural factors is also plausible, IMHO. I am not sure which one is closer to truth.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   

What are you talking about?

According to you after getting the nice meal Jamal should "return to the level of intelligence that was ALREADY set by his genetics."

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by varikonniemi

This has been studied and verified over and over again.....

and no, this is not a cultural thing. Its not a regional thing. Its simply genetics.... external image

There are a couple of things I would like to say about that study.

1. At what age were the kids adopted.

2. Were the black/mixed children the off-spring of healthy adults or of mothers who were Alcoholics/Drug addicts???

3. What effect did the black culture at school effect these adopted kids??? Did the try to fit in with the "Blacks" or with the whites (Who might have rejected them)

One of the other MAJOR factors besides culture is Nutrition:

Role of red meat in the diet for children and adolescents.

KEY POINTS

* Optimal nutrition during the first years of life is crucial for optimal growth and development and, possibly, the prevention of chronic disease of adulthood.

* Iron-deficiency anaemia in childhood and adolescence is associated with serious adverse outcomes that may not be reversible, making detection and early treatment an imperative.....

* Like iron, iodine appears to be involved in myelin myelin /my·elin/ (mi´e-lin) the lipid-rich substance of the cell membrane of Schwann cells that coils to form the myelin sheath surrounding the axon of myelinated nerve fibers. production and, hence, nerve conduction.

* Meat is a core food in the diet for children and adolescents because it provides significant amounts of these micronutrients This is a list of micronutrients....

INTRODUCTION

Over the first few years of postnatal life, an infant's body undergoes dramatic changes not only in physical attributes, but also in developmental milestones. By three years of age, an infant's head circumference and hence brain size will have reached 80% of what it will potentially achieve in adulthood, and its length will also have doubled in size. Therefore, it is not surprising that any adverse events occurring during these periods may have a negative impact upon psychomotor development.

In 1968, Dobbing (1) suggested that there were vulnerable periods of neurological development that coincided with times of maximal brain growth.
These periods begin during foetal development at around the 25th week of gestation and continue for the first two years of postnatal life. Nutrient deficiencies occurring during these vulnerable periods may well have an impact upon brain growth and, hence, neurological and psychomotor development. (1) These nutrient deficits have subsequently been shown to result in more functional deficiencies rather than physical abnormalities....Subsequently, animal and prospective human studies have suggested that either under- or over-nutrition in utero can be associated with epigenetic epigenetic /epi·ge·net·ic/ (-je-net´ik)
1. pertaining to epigenesis.

2. altering the activity of genes without changing their structure. changes as well as intrauterine adverse programming of organ function.... (5)

Having a myelin sheath.

myelinated

having a myelin sheath. fibres conduct nerve impulses rapidly, whereas unmyelinated unmyelinated /un·my·eli·nat·ed/ (un-mi´e-li-nat?ed) not having a myelin sheath; said of a nerve fiber.
un·my·e·lin·at·ed
adj.
Lacking a myelin sheath. Used of a nerve fiber. fibres tend to conduct quite slowly. This acceleration of nerve conduction is essential for the function of the body and survival. In humans, the myelin sheath begins to appear around the fourth month of foetal development and first appears in the spinal cord before spreading to the higher centres of the brain. It is assumed that this myelination precedes functional activity......

Myelin Sheath And Essential Fatty Acids: The protective sheath of neurons is 70 percent fat... www.livestrong.com...

Importance of DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is especially important for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. DHA is derived from dietary alpha-linolenic acid and is found in foods such as fatty fish, organ meats and eggs.

Fat makes up 60% of the brain and the nerves that run every system in the body. DHA is the major structural fatty acid in the gray matter of the brain and the retina of the eyes. ... However, if there is not a sufficient amount of DHA, development may be impaired....

Low levels of DHA in our body have been associated with mood swings, memory loss and visual and other neurological conditions... people who limit meat and egg intake, such as vegetarians or those on low-fat diets, are liable to have low level of DHA.

DHA is naturally transferred to a foetus and it is required throughout the pregnancy. Because developing foetuses cannot make their own omega-3 fatty acids, their needs must be met by their mothers....

A continual supply of DHA is needed for the full term of the pregnancy as the DHA content of the cerebrum and cerebellum increases threefold during the last trimester.

Premature babies, who were born without the benefit of maternal DHA during the rapid brain growth phase of the last trimester of pregnancy, scored average points lower on IQ tests than average full-term infants when tested later in life.

During the last trimester of a pregnancy, the mother transfer to her foetus much of the DHA needed for the development of its brain and nervous system....

.... Dietary DHA supplementation also increases the DHA content in human milk. This ensures the infant obtains sufficient DHA, especially during the first week of life.

The brain development of infants will triple again and will continue growing rapidly for the first year as well. Therefore, during this period of time, there is a great demand for DHA, which must be satisfied through breast milk. The breast-feeding mother should get enough DHA, otherwise the breast milk will also be low in DHA....

If the baby is not breastfed at all, it receives no subsequent DHA, thus hindering the impairing mental and visual acuity. Therefore, mothers-to-be and breastfeeding mother must be getting enough DHA to ensure the rapid brain growth of the baby......

Seems nutrition play a really great part in the development of the brain and all the blasted "Low Fat" diet stuff is NOT good for the brain development of children.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join