It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black people 'less intelligent' scientist claims

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by uva3021

Being infected with T. Gondii in the brain can lead to increased intelligence in women

WOW, interesting find.

Toxoplasma gondii

Over 60 million men, women, and children in the United States alone are infected.

Recent studies have suggested that Toxoplasma gondii is able to effect behavioral change in humans just like it does in mice! It is proposed that this parasite influences human culture when parasitizing the brain. According to Kevin Lafferty, People infected with T. gondii experience a wide range of long term personality changes. Kevin Lafferty has done a lot of research about the influence of T. gondii on human culture. I recommend looking up his paper Can the common brain parasite, Toxoplasma gondii influence human culture? His research shows that women who are infected have increased intelligence and increased rule conscious behaviors. They are also much warmer, relaxed, and outgoing. Men who are infected Image found in Wikipedia Commonshave lower intelligence and decreased rule conscious behaviors. Basically, women become more outgoing, and men become more likely to break the law. Both behaviors indicate that the T. gondii inside them is still trying to break down behavior that would keep them out of danger, just like when it breaks down the fear mice have of cats..... bioweb.uwlax.edu...

Another article:

...In humans T. gondii can induce schizophrenia causing hallucinations and reckless behavior. In human males T. gondii can decrease reaction time leading to, in one study, a six-fold increase in traffic accidents4. While in human females T. gondii showed increase intelligence and guilt proneness.....

Worldwide out breaks: 30% to 65% of all people worldwide are infected with toxoplasmosis but variation from country to country is high. France, for example, around 88% of the population are carriers, probably due to a high consumption of raw and lightly cooked meat. Germany 68%, Brazil 67%, and the Netherlands 80% also have a high prevalence. In Britain and the US about 22% are carriers, and South Korea's rate is 4.3%. www.austincc.edu...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The key quote of the article is this:

He claimed genes responsible for creating differences in human intelligence could be found within a decade.

So let me get this right...

There's a scientist who studies genes, and he comes out with a "black people are less intelligent" statement. But he can't back it up with knowledge about genes???

He also hasn't defined intelligence. Is he talking about IQ or something else?

If he's just saying it because overall, black people have less degrees, that's true. But the reason for that isn't a gene, it's because all but the younger generations didn't have equal rights when they were at an age where people generally study. In 1982, when they finally got it, that's when they had real access to higher education, and jobs that pay for it.

Sadly, on average, black people still earn less than whites. So they're still at a disadvantage when it comes to affording top education. In addition, due to earning less overall, they often live in poorer neighbourhoods. It's a FACT that crime is higher in poorer neighbourhoods, life is tough. So you will have more "bad students" in classrooms, and the people who you surround yourself DO influence your performance. Add to that the fact that discrimination still happens, just read the threads on this forum...plenty of people hating Muslims (often dark skinned), openly racist threads, and the list goes on. So yeah, they're still at a disadvantage, and it'll take generations to rectify decades of discrimination.

So yeah, if you measure intelligence based on education or salary, then whites are "more intelligent". It's a sad reality.

In short, I think it's laughable that this scientist makes those outrageous claims without even backing it up with the knowledge corresponding to his degree. I mean, it's not as if he found that gene!!

If he found a gene that was somehow linked to intelligence (of course you'd have to define intelligence), sure, I'd be interested. There's genes that make people better at high altitudes, so why not, it IS possible. I'm an atheist too, and only care about objective evidence, but I think the remark that scientist made is phrased the wrong way, and he shouldn't use his degree to give "weight" to his opinion in the way he does.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAnonUK

I have often thought that it is societal problems not race that drive their communities around the world into the ground. This makes me wonder a little bit.

While the rest of the world was moving forward Africa seemed frozen in time? Why this is I am not sure but if you have 2 eyes you can see it.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Even if this scientist find a gene that prove this and that....you should know that this finding will not be permissible as proof. You should check the way they conduct their findings when genes is concern. Popular belief as it that if you are bad in school is because it is in your gene, if you are alone with no girlfriend is because it is in your gene...exaggeration which illustrate popular science.
Someone has wrote a book about this, I find it very interesting.
The Limits and Lies of Human Genetic Research, Jonathan Kaplan

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Forget the inflammatory title and READ what is said

The 79-year-old geneticist said he was “inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa” because “all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours - whereas all the testing says not really.". He said he hoped that everyone was equal, but countered that “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true”.

(visit the link for the full news article)

He uses the words "their intelligence is the same as ours" this does not necessarily imply LESS it can also mean DIFFERENT as in a different skill set.

He is not pulling his opinion out of thin air. He states "whereas all the testing says not really." He also states he was “inherently gloomy" and "he hoped that everyone was equal"/b]

The guy is not jumping up and down for joy because he is "SUPERIOR" here guys.

GOOD GRIEF, isn't it better to acknowledge that I am tone deaf and have no rhythm and therefore I will be incredibly bad at not only music and dance but second language acquisition too?

Isn't it better to FINALLY acknowledge that we are not all "equal" and quit trying to shove square and triangular pegs in round holes???

Isn't it better to identify strength and weaknesses WITHOUT all the blasted PC crap getting in the way so we can build on EVERYONES strengths and mitigate their weaknesses???

As the good Doctor said "our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same.... and THAT is the key point to me. If that fact is incorrect then it needs to be addressed and not ignored because it offends P.C. -ness.

Also remember my other post that showed NUTRITION plays a big part in brain development in children. If the fact of differences is NOT ignored then we can address whether NUTRITION maybe part of the problem or THE problem.

Not knowing the studies he refers to or whether strict attention was paid to the factor of nutrition, none can say if nutrition had a "Confounding" effect on the data.

If they are looking at Africa itself as one poster did, then nutrition, disease and inbreeding could easily be confounding factors.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

You should read the full article...Also.
how can you take seriously a Dr that advocate woman to terminate they pregnancy if science can determine that the unborn child will be homosexual.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by kacou

You should read the full article...Also.
how can you take seriously a Dr that advocate woman to terminate they pregnancy if science can determine that the unborn child will be homosexual.

Actually he was just backing abortion for any reason, not advocating abortion of homosexuals.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Hi is know to be sexist, and now racist....
Pause for one minute....
All this guy with big so called intellect coming up with more outrageous so called founding day in and day out, wouldn't raise a thread of suspicion to you...you will just take their words for truth.
I for one see only division in this claustrophobic way of thinking.
We are all the same, you like it or not.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAnonUK
Colour is not the issue here, it’s purely regional. Colour is only used to denote peoples from a specific region and cultural background

...its funny that you would say that and then follow it with:

We all started out as white beings, (in my atheist belief system)

...and then, in another post, you said:..

God bless global communication and sites like ATS

...and about doc watson... poor ol' thang is obviously suffering from advanced dementia as is evidenced by his statement below (from the article that you sourced)...

He said he hoped that everyone was equal, but countered that “people who have to deal with black employees find this not true”.

...so sad to watch good brains go bad...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Intelligence is merely a survival trait, whether sexual or practical, and not a mark of superiority. I think it rather naive to think there is zero genetic variation between populations (White vs Black).

Because for some reason "intelligence" has some intrinsic cosmic value to humans, and its sinful to discuss possible group differences, the masses tend to look at scientific experiments regarding measures of intelligence to be evil and villainous. The scientists doing the experiments, I can assure you, look at intelligence the same way they look at mole distribution, or hair growth tendency, or finger nail pointiness, or length of blink, or ability to roll one's tongue. Its just another way to show variation and to isolate possible genes linked to some trait.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kacou

You should read the full article...Also. how can you take seriously a Dr that advocate woman to terminate they pregnancy if science can determine that the unborn child will be homosexual.

Because I can separate science from personality and politics.

I have worked for and with PhDs that were complete Donkey's behinds and whose politics sucked but that did not mean their SCIENCE was "bad" or wrong. Actually a lot of PhDs are a little short on the personality side at least at work....

As I said I would REALLY REALLY like to see those studies and how they were done. I have worked with "Designed Experiments" enough to know you can really muck-up the results if you neglect an important confounding factor. In one study I spent two years chasing one!

The little I have read makes me suspect NUTRITION my be that "important confounding factor" If you are looking at Africa or the inner city how the heck can you NOT have NUTRITION as an "important confounding factor"

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by uva3021

Intelligence is merely a survival trait, whether sexual or practical, and not a mark of superiority. I think it rather naive to think there is zero genetic variation between populations (White vs Black).

Because for some reason "intelligence" has some intrinsic cosmic value to humans, and its sinful to discuss possible group differences, the masses tend to look at scientific experiments regarding measures of intelligence to be evil and villainous....

Good point.

Although as one article pointed out the variation among different African populations is larger than the difference between "White" and Black" populations. Think Pygmies, the Watusi and the Wadomo of the Zambezi valley (two toed people)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Yeah this is true because Blacks have been around longer. Dividing groups into blacks and whites is merely a distinction made based on external appearance that is used to create a scientific barrier for studying group differences in allele frequency. We would expect there to be more diversity amongst blacks than between blacks and whites.

There is variation between all traits, including intelligence, and reproductive success and selection pressures flow on a continuum.

edit on 20-7-2011 by uva3021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
What is intelligence, anyway? I know quite a few people who wouldn't make a 100 on an iq test, but can get any sort of bike running, build a house, a guitar, tune a piano or actually understand another human being and relate to them and their problems.

I don't think you can pin intelligence down so easily, its too subjective.

While this is true
could they plot the course of a rocket to mars,
or calculate the necessary strength of a bridge or building,
or figure out genetic engineering,
the answer is no.
High IQ people keep technology advancing.

They hate you if your clever,
they despise a fool.-Lennon,John

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

The little I have read makes me suspect NUTRITION my be that "important confounding factor" If you are looking at Africa or the inner city how the heck can you NOT have NUTRITION as an "important confounding factor"

I dont think there is much evidence of
extreme nutritional deficiencies in the US.
Yet IQ differences among races still exist here.

People with high IQs also are better looking, healthier,
more artistic,more musical,richer,etc. People usually
try to breed with those who have the best attributes.
Thus all those qualities tend to congregate.
The Smart get smarter, and the dumb get dumber
and more violent.

Race and IQ is yesterdays argument.
Race and Violence is tomorrows argument.

About one in three South African men admit
to raping.
South America has a culture of violence to women
and one of violence towards other men, called machismo.

And with a little Eugenics,by breeding men with high IQs to women with low IQs
those with lower IQs could be easily raised up. 80 IQ + 140 IQ = 110 IQ

TPTB have made other plans.
Their goal is like THE ISLAND OF DR MOREAU.
A nation of dumbed down slaves.
God help us.

They hate you if your clever,
they despise a fool.-Lennon,John
edit on 20-7-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAnonUK

the way i see it there are many different types of inteligence, emotional, musical, spatial, pattern recognition,logic and the list goes on....
Now is this scientist saying that black people are less intelligent in all the above and more or in certain facets that we in the western world deem more important. We are judging another race with our own definition or intelligence.
Im sure if you got a white man and stuck him out in the kalahari desert he would not last five minutes. Where as an African bushman would be just fine..and to the bushman other races would appear less intelligent.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

...I dont think there is much evidence of extreme nutritional deficiencies in the US. Yet IQ differences among races still exist here.....

One of the studies ???Bellcurve??? that someone else mention was talking not only about the USA but Africa. Also while we do not have starvation in the USA we certainly have poor nutrition esp. among poor black teenage pregnant girls. Lots of carbs - bread, potato chips, fries, pasta, junk food & soda but very light on the EXPENSIVE Fruit, veggies, & MEAT.

Younger people are now developing health problems that used to affect only adults, like high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes no matter what the MSM may say about it these health problems trace back to a high sugar, high carb diet that is low on fats, protein and veggies. (If you want to argue that I have reams of data, not to mention a dramatic improvement in my own health over the last two years.
)

Then there are these three articles. The first shows a change in infant weight the other two are about the role of red meat and fat in the development of fetus and infant brains. Now consider the anti-meat/fat fad diets.

Now what were you saying about ADEQUATE diet for pregnant black inner city teens who are probably NOT under a doctor's care?

US babies mysteriously shrinking

Birthweights in the US are falling but no one knows why, according to a study of 36.8 million infants born between 1990 and 2005.

A 52-gram drop in the weight of full-term singletons – from an average of 3.441 to 3.389 kilograms – has left Emily Oken's team at Harvard Medical School scratching their heads. It can't be accounted for by an increase in caesarean sections or induced labours, which shorten gestation. What's more, women in the US now smoke less and gain more weight during pregnancy, which should make babies heavier. Oken suggests that unmeasured factors, such as diet or exercise, could explain why babies are being born lighter.....

Role of red meat in the diet for children and adolescents

KEY POINTS

* Optimal nutrition during the first years of life is crucial for optimal growth and development and, possibly, the prevention of chronic disease of adulthood.

* Iron-deficiency anaemia in childhood and adolescence is associated with serious adverse outcomes that may not be reversible, making detection and early treatment an imperative.....

* Like iron, iodine appears to be involved in myelin myelin /my·elin/ (mi´e-lin) the lipid-rich substance of the cell membrane of Schwann cells that coils to form the myelin sheath surrounding the axon of myelinated nerve fibers. production and, hence, nerve conduction.

* Meat is a core food in the diet for children and adolescents because it provides significant amounts of these micronutrients This is a list of micronutrients....

INTRODUCTION

Over the first few years of postnatal life, an infant's body undergoes dramatic changes not only in physical attributes, but also in developmental milestones. By three years of age, an infant's head circumference and hence brain size will have reached 80% of what it will potentially achieve in adulthood, and its length will also have doubled in size. Therefore, it is not surprising that any adverse events occurring during these periods may have a negative impact upon psychomotor development.

In 1968, Dobbing (1) suggested that there were vulnerable periods of neurological development that coincided with times of maximal brain growth. These periods begin during foetal development at around the 25th week of gestation and continue for the first two years of postnatal life. Nutrient deficiencies occurring during these vulnerable periods may well have an impact upon brain growth and, hence, neurological and psychomotor development. (1) These nutrient deficits have subsequently been shown to result in more functional deficiencies rather than physical abnormalities....Subsequently, animal and prospective human studies have suggested that either under- or over-nutrition in utero can be associated with epigenetic epigenetic /epi·ge·net·ic/ (-je-net´ik)
1. pertaining to epigenesis.

2. altering the activity of genes without changing their structure.
changes as well as intrauterine adverse programming of organ function.... (5)

.... [long article follows]

Importance of DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid)

Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is especially important for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. DHA is derived from dietary alpha-linolenic acid and is found in foods such as fatty fish, organ meats and eggs.

Fat makes up 60% of the brain and the nerves that run every system in the body. DHA is the major structural fatty acid in the gray matter of the brain and the retina of the eyes. ... However, if there is not a sufficient amount of DHA, development may be impaired

Low levels of DHA in our body have been associated with mood swings, memory loss and visual and other neurological conditions... people who limit meat and egg intake, such as vegetarians or those on low-fat diets, are liable to have low level of DHA.

DHA is naturally transferred to a foetus and it is required throughout the pregnancy. Because developing foetuses cannot make their own omega-3 fatty acids, their needs must be met by their mothers....

A continual supply of DHA is needed for the full term of the pregnancy as the DHA content of the cerebrum and cerebellum increases threefold during the last trimester.
Premature babies, who were born without the benefit of maternal DHA during the rapid brain growth phase of the last trimester of pregnancy, scored average points lower on IQ tests than average full-term infants when tested later in life.

During the last trimester of a pregnancy, the mother transfer to her foetus much of the DHA needed for the development of its brain and nervous system

.... Dietary DHA supplementation also increases the DHA content in human milk. This ensures the infant obtains sufficient DHA, especially during the first week of life.

The brain development of infants will triple again and will continue growing rapidly for the first year as well. Therefore, during this period of time, there is a great demand for DHA, which must be satisfied through breast milk. The breast-feeding mother should get enough DHA, otherwise the breast milk will also be low in DHA....

If the baby is not breastfed at all, it receives no subsequent DHA, thus hindering the impairing mental and visual acuity. Therefore, mothers-to-be and breastfeeding mother must be getting enough DHA to ensure the rapid brain growth of the baby......

edit on 20-7-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
You can make up for your genes through hard work, not only when it comes to intelligence, but also physical stuff. So even if for some reason that guy is right, it doesn't really matter...

Inpsiring movie!!!

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16 >>

join