It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hey guys check this out-
Seems there are some who are sure they know what this mysterious bright new object in the sky is & have been trying to tell the world for months:
www.shareintl.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I live in Nevada and have seen this light in the sky for the past three to four weeks. There have been no television or newspaper articles concerning it. It seems to stay in place as an orbiting planet or satellite would. However it is much brighter than anything else in the sky. Spending sixteen years living in a mountain area where there was little if any city light to interfere with sky gazing, I never experienced something like this before. Although I cannot give exact coordinates it is tough to miss in the Western sky. No, it is not a project out at Area 51, they know how to hide things. Hope an astronomer can answer our questions.

Blinded By The Light

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Venus doesn't twinking like other stars because Venus is a planet!

if you see a flashing bright red, blue, green(white) star that is below left constellation of Orion, that is Sirius.

/end thread

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I've read about them dropping the plutonium into jupiters atmosphere using the spacecraft galileo a few years ago. I was wondering about that a while ago, whether we would see anything come of that. Maybe this is it?

They apparently plan on the same thing with the other spacecraft that is orbiting saturn now. Whenever it finishes it's task it will probably be dropped into saturns atmosphere.

should be hearing about it soon if that is what happened. I don' imagine they can keep all the astronomers quiet. Unless they kill em all....

IMO
Rgds

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Hellish-D

I was gonna say something but I don't quite know enough to say anythin about astronomy.

I have learned to look for Polaris and it is actually quite tricky to find. It is not easy to find. I use a little trick to learn where it is but if you didn't know, you would never find it.

Polaris is incredibly easy to find. You just locate the big dipper and follow the vertical line that forms the end of its cup toward the north. From our perspective, Polaris only moves in a very small circle, hence it’s name.

I really don’t like the way I’m coming off in this thread, but good lord people, get a clue. I mean I learned all this crap in Boy Scouts for god sakes.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ok gents, here are two very large shots of the bright light, the first is a shot to get your bearings. I'm in east Texas and this is facing the west. The second shot is taken with a 300mm. These are shot with a Canon professional at 16 million pixels so they may take a moment to download. That thing is bright and large, got me what it is but it is so bright that it seems to give off light instead of just reflecting it but what do I know.

www.christianseidler.com...

www.christianseidler.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
By the way, those shots were taken at 7 PM Feb. 15th 09. It just got dark here.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Pappie54

It is Venus. Looking at the first shot; the star to the right (north) of it is Algenib. The stars forming a curving line upward and to the left are part of the constellation Pices.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
What do you guys make of all this "chatter" on the net about a strange bright star in the sky?
I have observed it myself at night. Its very bright and unmistakable. I checked selarium and it does seem to be venus as best as I can tell.
However if I am not mistaken, Planets are not supposed to twinkle or change colour. And this one does.
Feedback would be appreciated

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
From my home in dallas, the "star" is 250 degrees West at about 45-50 degrees high. This is with a lensatic compass. The height is "kentucky windage".

When venus and mars did their thing a little while back NEITHER ever got that bright. In 3 months (if its still there) we should consider worrying.
Not that we can do a damn thing about it!

these measurements were taken at 1900 Central time. You can see it as soon as the sun is gone.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by felonius]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

In about a month it will no longer be there. Two, maybe three, weeks after that it will be visible in the east before dawn. It is Venus.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AllTiedTogether

That would be slightly plausible if.... Jupiter wasn't below the horizon at night, and behind the sun during the day.

Those pics blatantly show Venus, the second pic is a beauty BTW.

Good Job (pappy)

Peace

[edit on 15-2-2009 by TheRealDonPedros]

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I live in the south west corner of Missouri. I have seen this "star" for over two weeks and I assure you it is not a planet. It is very bright and changes colors. My husband and I have viewed it from a telescope; it has strange black lines in it.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I live in the midwest and i still see it shining very bright when i am facing West. So its Venus?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrfire9
I live in the midwest and i still see it shining very bright when i am facing West. So its Venus?

YES!

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Listen. At least what *I* saw was not Venus. Nor was it Siruius.

I have been watching the starts since I was 9. I am 29 now.

I know how Venus looks, and I know about how close it is at this time. I have SEEN the big Venus.

I have seen Sirius for just as long. to the left of Orion in Canis Major. I've always seen Sirius as the brightest blue STAR in the sky.

What I saw tonight was NEITHER. If you don't believe me, no prob. Check it out for yourself.

What I saw was to the left of Orion and like I said, it wasn't Sirius. Siruis is a giant blue star, and I have never seen it look like what I have seen all of a sudden tonight.

The thing I saw was red, then blue, then white. Maybe not in that order.
I have never seen ANY star or ANY planet go from one extreme color to another, and you people know this...

I think more than half of the people in this thread are indeed seeing Sirius and Venus, but the rest know that what they are seeing are NOT. Including myself.

The red definetly seemed like it didn't belong to the spectrum of what color this celestial body is.

I'll say it one more time. I know what I saw was NOT Venus, and Not Sirius. Venus is white/yellow. Where would blue and red come from???

Damn I wish I had a way to film it...

Maybe (God forbid) this thing will get bigger and people will see what we may have to deal with.

I hope I am wrong and it is Venus or Sirus. And don't even tell me it was Jupiter.

Oh! And I forgot the most important part. Right after I saw it a few minutes ago, I went to google sky and looked for Venus. Venus is on the RIGHT SIDE of Orion, and it's rotation relative to the sky doesn't move the planet far from it's position. It goes in a small spiral. I implore you to look it up.

Peace!

[edit on 2/16/2009 by impaired]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

You are not seeing Venus. Venus is nowhere near Orion.

Sirius is to the left (south) of Orion, almost lined up with Orion's belt. It can also appear to change colors quite dramatically.

Sirius is white in color but its brilliance makes it scintillate or appear to change colors as it twinkles from unsteady air in Earth’s atmosphere. Sirius is best seen in the night sky during the winter months of January through March.
encarta.msn.com...

The brighter the star, the easier it is to see; Sirius, the brightest nighttime star, is often seen changing from green to red to orange and back, very rapidly. I've seen it myself and it's quite lovely.
www.badastronomy.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Just wondering if anyone has the direction to look in East Australia?

peace

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Sirius's Wikipedia Entry - en.wikipedia.org...

"To the naked eye, it often appears to be flashing with red, white and blue hues when near the horizon."

---------------------------------------------------------------

I often get confused with sirius when the belt of orion goes below the horizon before it does. I've been guilty of this same thing numerous times as the red/white/blue looks almost artificial.

Procyon has a simliar twinkle low on the horizon as well.

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
lolz, like 2 weeks ago i looked up and noticed this really bright star, i had never seen it in the skyline before, i am not an avid astrologer, but i do look at the stars almost every night and i have never seen anything that bright and large in the sky besides the moon. Now i am reading about people all over the world seeing the same star, or i should say otherworldly object, and its just fascinating. I have looked all over the net and not found any news of this star, or any planet being really bright for that matter at this time of year. does anyone have any info on this that does not end with Obama being the anti-Christ or planet x on the rise?

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Ok. I went outside after my last post.
It's friggin cold, but I walked about 1000 feet to the middle school by me (where it's much darker).

I found Sirius, ok? This was NOT Sirius. I know what a star looks like when it twinkles. This had a different quality. When a star twinkles, being that it is so far away and being that our atmosphere distorts it a bit, It just twinkles.

What I saw didn't twinkle like a star. It just changed colors, and it was above the horizon when I first saw it. It was over one of the apartment buildings past my front porch... South West.

I know how people could mistake it for Siruis and I know Sirius is in the same location, but I saw them both at the same time. Sirius was nowhere near as bright, and when I saw Venus, it was indeed big, but it was a more uniform color.

Damn it I know what I saw!
AND I dragged my mom out to see it. She was transfixed. I however think I know what it is.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join